Manchester United name John Murtough as Football Director and Darren Fletcher as Technical Director

Adnan

Talent Spotter
This makes me very excited. Well, our defense and striker problem solve for next season, I guess. Oh wait..
We don't have a defense and striker problem, but rather a structural problem when it comes to coaching the team IMO.

Yakuza_devils

We don't have a defense and striker problem, but rather a structural problem when it comes to coaching the team IMO.
I agree with you but it seems that Ole will not be sacked. He is not a top class manager and its proven in his style of play with defensive counter attack football. He rely very much on individual brilliance to win matches.

Hence, to solve our defense and striker problem, we need to sign 2 top class individual for Ole to have any chance of competing.

Yakuza_devils

In the mean time you can run rule over Hannibal, Shoetire, Elanga, Laird etc.
I thought we are supposed to talk about Kane, Haaland, Grealish, Sancho, Rice, Varane?

Or this team of DOF yes men are here to serve the Galzers' debts?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I agree with you but it seems that Ole will not be sacked. He is not a top class manager and its proven in his style of play with defensive counter attack football. He rely very much on individual brilliance to win matches.

Hence, to solve our defense and striker problem, we need to sign 2 top class individual for Ole to have any chance of competing.
I honestly believe if we hired a new coach who has a strong grasp of modern methods, we'd be challenging for the league alot sooner.

But transfer deals can only be done as quick as Joel Glazer allows. According to various reports, every thing at the club has to be ratified by Joel Glazer which slows things down when it comes to recruitment.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I thought we are supposed to talk about Kane, Haaland, Grealish, Sancho, Rice, Varane?

Or this team of DOF yes men are here to serve the Galzers' debts?
You don't need a DoF if you can't look past those names. Names like Amad Diallo, Hannibal Mejbri and Willy Kambwala is what will define the work of a Sporting director in the longterm IMO.

Yakuza_devils

I honestly believe if we hired a new coach who has a strong grasp of modern methods, we'd be challenging for the league alot sooner.

But transfer deals can only be done as quick as Joel Glazer allows. According to various reports, every thing at the club has to be ratified by Joel Glazer which slows things down when it comes to recruitment.
Exactly, but both of our DOF and Technical Director are Glazers/Ed men promoted from within with no proven track records in Europe.

I doubt there will be any significant changes from how they manage the club for the last 8 years. They will not rock the boat too much. It will be very different if we get a world class DOF who can transform a club.

Yakuza_devils

You don't need a DoF if you can't look past those names. Names like Amad Diallo, Hannibal Mejbri and Willy Kambwala is what will define the work of a Sporting director in the longterm IMO.
Names like Hannibal, Shoetire, Elanga, Laird, Amad, the 16 years old kids we are going to sign and etc are for the future. Not many will make it here. Maybe 1 or 2 the most out of all the "highly rated".

For present, the DOF need to address the current problems. We need top class CB, striker and midfield/winger to compete/finish top 4 next season with Ole.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Exactly, but both of our DOF and Technical Director are Glazers/Ed men promoted from within with no proven track records in Europe.

I doubt there will be any significant changes from how they manage the club for the last 8 years. They will not rock the boat too much. It will be very difference if we get a world class DOF who can transform a club.
Experience in the role is only required if you're at a low profile club which requires a high profile DoF to attract attention. Clubs like United and Liverpool are high profile and hence attract the attention of the agents and players. Liverpool for example have Michael Edwards as Sporting Director who most said didn't have experience but he has a EPL and UCL title on his CV/resume. Compare that to high profile DoFs and the supposed high profile ones fall short.

Murtough for example built up a relationship with Hannibal Mejbri's family and convinced them to choose United over a plethora of clubs around Europe who had DoFs who would be regarded as being far more experienced.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Names like Hannibal, Shoetire, Elanga, Laird, Amad, the 16 years old kids we are going to sign and etc are for the future. Not many will make it here. Maybe 1 or 2 the most out of all the "highly rated".

For present, the DOF need to address the current problems. We need top class CB, striker and midfield/winger to compete/finish top 4 next season with Ole.
The current problems can only be addressed with a systematic change and not by throwing even more at it. We still can't play a fast paced offensive game with a set structure.

Yakuza_devils

Experience in the role is only required if you're at a low profile club which requires a high profile DoF to attract attention. Clubs like United and Liverpool are high profile and hence attract the attention of the agents and players. Liverpool for example have Michael Edwards as Sporting Director who most said didn't have experience but he has a EPL and UCL title on his CV/resume. Compare that to high profile DoFs and the supposed high profile ones fall short.

Murtough for example built up a relationship with Hannibal Mejbri's family and convinced them to choose United over a plethora of clubs around Europe who had DoFs who would be regarded as being far more experienced.
I was implying more to the way the football side is run in the club and not only for signing players.

For example, an experienced DOF may see that the manager, coaching, style of play being outdated at the club and need drastic changes and have the guts to address it.

Michael Edwards maybe lucky or he has the vision to appoint Kloop, the rest is history.

We need drastic changes in the club.

Yakuza_devils

The current problems can only be addressed with a systematic change and not by throwing even more at it. We still can't play a fast paced offensive game with a set structure.
Again, 100% agree. But the DOF need to decide whether to change manager to address the problem or support him with top class players to make the club successful.

As things stand, Ole will be here for long term. Hence, top class signings are required now.

Josep Dowling

Success does not potential success. No one has a clue how good those players will end up at first team level. Typical overhyping of United youngsters. Diallo has shown very little imo. Don’t get the hype so far.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was implying more to the way the football side is run in the club and not only for signing players.

For example, an experienced DOF may see that the manager, coaching, style of play being outdated at the club and need drastic changes and have the guts to address it.

Michael Edwards maybe lucky or he has the vision to appoint Kloop, the rest is history.

We need drastic changes in the club.
The football side is being run fine since 2017. It took us a while to get there after the scouting department was left to decay along with the academy but we've finally got there. But City in that time have taken advantage and are far ahead of us with much bigger financial backing.

An experience DoF can only work with what he has under the Glazers. And the Glazers areh't sacking Solskjaer after he's finished second to a club who have state backing.

Yakuza_devils

The football side is being run fine since 2017. It took us a while to get there after the scouting department was left to decay along with the academy but we've finally got there. But City in that time have taken advantage and are far ahead of us with much bigger financial backing.

An experience DoF can only work with what he has under the Glazers. And the Glazers areh't sacking Solskjaer after he's finished second to a club who have state backing.
Hence, my point of the DOF is Glazers/Ed yes men from within and no drastic changes will be implemented.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Success does not potential success. No one has a clue how good those players will end up at first team level. Typical overhyping of United youngsters. Diallo has shown very little imo. Don’t get the hype so far.
We're talking about judging the work of a Sporting director, which should always be looked at from a longterm pov. Rangnick and Campos who many wanted here, do just that by signing young players.

And people do have a clue about evaluating player potential or else they wouldn't convince the money men to spend/invest on them. And it's also true there's no guarantee for success but the same apllies to more established players.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Hence, my point of the DOF is Glazers/Ed yes men from within and no drastic changes will be implemented.
I can only say what I see. And the job John Murtough has done structurally has been superb. At first team level the manager still has control.

Yakuza_devils

I can only say what I see. And the job John Murtough has done structurally has been superb. At first team level the manager still has control.
Herein lies the problem, DOF should be accountable for both first team and all football side of things in the club.

stw2022

I’m suspect that the best people for so many of these jobs happen to coincidentally be ex-players.

It feels like we’re a Carry On film with old faces always on rotation for new roles.

Sandwich ladies retired? Give it Irwin.

POF

Herein lies the problem, DOF should be accountable for both first team and all football side of things in the club.
Really? You want John Murtough as the number one man with sole responsibility for all key decisions to influence the first team?

What makes you think he's got the goods for such a high powered and influential role at the club?

oz insomniac

At the end of the day, decent and I guess expensive recruitment can’t be undertaken without the support of Woodward and the Glazers, Teflon Ed is still currently in charge of the purse strings, so don’t hold your collective breath.

Challenging Citeh and probably Chelsea is very unlikely in the short term , unfortunately!

Gavinb33

Signing youth team players does not mean we are not prioritising 1st team signings, it is entirely plausible to do both at the same time.

Also Murtough's job for the 1st team will be based around the budget they have been provided he isn't a miracle worker if Glazer says you have x to spend then that's what he'll have and he may have to be creative with it which could be interesting to see because our fans mainly just want the obvious transfers all the time Sancho, Grealish, Oblak etc etc is always what i see trumpeted on here let's see our scouting in action

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Are Murtough and Fletcher going to be able to operate efficiently this summer? It seems we’ve at least made early contact with Dortmund so that’s a good sign.. I wonder what else are we working on and what the budget is. Can we sell to buy? The sky’s the limit if the lads are allowed to shake up the squad.

pascell

Are Murtough and Fletcher going to be able to operate efficiently this summer? It seems we’ve at least made early contact with Dortmund so that’s a good sign.. I wonder what else are we working on and what the budget is. Can we sell to buy? The sky’s the limit if the lads are allowed to shake up the squad.
Can't see them shaking up the squad too much, I think players who haven't played much part in the first team this season will depart, bar maybe de Gea or Henderson. Think players like Matic, Williams, Chong, Pereira, Dalot and Lingard will leave. Whilst Hannibal (possibly), Laird, Garner, Pellistri, Elanga and Mengi will get loans. Nothing too groundbreaking thats going to rock the boat.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Can't see them shaking up the squad too much, I think players who haven't played much part in the first team this season will depart, bar maybe de Gea or Henderson. Think players like Matic, Williams, Chong, Pereira, Dalot and Lingard will leave. Whilst Hannibal (possibly), Laird, Garner, Pellistri, Elanga and Mengi will get loans. Nothing too groundbreaking thats going to rock the boat.
Those sales alone could bring in the price of 2 new starters while simultaneously reducing the wage bill. It would be an instant step in the right direction and a show of ambition. I’m not sure what we will do in reality but I’m very interested to see how this summer goes.

dpansheth

No intelligent contribution to this thread..
but will say what I see.
we are incompetent due to either :
- “old boys” culture
- Glazers are sucking all revenues.

either way I am screwed and all fans are screwed. Except sports every industry has to ( either they appoint or they became extinct) appoint experts , and if leadership cant make the structure “ profitable, its bad for them ( glazers ) bad for us ( fans ) .

Fletcher , Ole or this guy, all appointments have been either lucky or brotherly. None have been proven abilities. Which tells me decision making has been wrong or misguided.

ti vu

Those sales alone could bring in the price of 2 new starters while simultaneously reducing the wage bill. It would be an instant step in the right direction and a show of ambition. I’m not sure what we will do in reality but I’m very interested to see how this summer goes.
How much do you think we would get seeking these? And how much a starter would cost?

Matic and Lingard wage would mean they're hard to move. Age and contract length also affect.

We couldn't sell Dalot and Pereira last summer. Their loan moves doesn't seem to help change that. I would be surprised we would get a decent fee for them.

Chong and Williams may be easier to move on, but again they're hardly sought after talent. Very unlikely we're getting a decent fee.

Jibbs

They both are nothing more than front men of Glazers and ex united players lobby. All the appointments from manager to these directorial positions at United are being done on reference and nepotism basis. No professionalism and merit.

Red Comet

No intelligent contribution to this thread..
but will say what I see.
we are incompetent due to either :
- “old boys” culture
- Glazers are sucking all revenues.

either way I am screwed and all fans are screwed. Except sports every industry has to ( either they appoint or they became extinct) appoint experts , and if leadership cant make the structure “ profitable, its bad for them ( glazers ) bad for us ( fans ) .

Fletcher , Ole or this guy, all appointments have been either lucky or brotherly. None have been proven abilities. Which tells me decision making has been wrong or misguided.
Bayer Munich has been practicing the "old boys" culture and it has worked tremendously well for them.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Bayer Munich has been practicing the "old boys" culture and it has worked tremendously well for them.
Bayern, Barca, Real Madrid have all been doing the same and have been the most successful clubs in history.

MDFC Manager

Not always, they've had bad eggs along the way as well.

What's worked is that they've had much greater accountability. They haven't settled for mediocrity, in the hope of the mythical 'progress'.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Why do people keep on saying Murtough is a sign of nepotism? He is very experienced in this football, having worked up through the roles at Everton and then get a good role at Premier League, after that he was brought to United and has worked here in different roles. This is his first transfer window in a position of power, let's give him a bit of time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Why do people keep on saying Murtough is a sign of nepotism? He is very experienced in this football, having worked up through the roles at Everton and then get a good role at Premier League, after that he was brought to United and has worked here in different roles. This is his first transfer window in a position of power, let's give him a bit of time.
Had nepotism been at work, then Solskjaer would've pushed for his mate Jordi Cruyff. Jordi Cruyff has instead joined Barca due to his previous links to the club.

wolvored

We are still in the 'Woodys in the house' stage as well. Until he leaves completely, August-December depending what media you read, he will still have a big say. So even if this transfer window turns out shit, then its still got his finger prints all over it.

oz insomniac

Until someone has the gonads to actually move on some of the deadwood and receive some funds for them , and reduce the bloated wage bill. Then get some quick approval form the ghost who walks to spend to improve the team, then we will be looking up, unfortunately, at both Citeh and Chelski for a while.

Yes , they have owners that are actually interested in the teams success more than using at a cash machine, and back them financially to achieve results. Sadly, expect more of the same under the structure in place with Teflon Ed and others in charge.