Manchester United officials looking at plans to expand Old Trafford capacity to 88,000 | Scrapped?

What will happen first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Why? How long do you think painting takes? Its not 1 guy with a brush.
I don't know how much painting there is needed to be done. My understanding is quite a lot. But tbh, I don't know much about the whole thing. I was just responding to a post about the delay in planning permission.

diarm

Also, there probably has to be a number of Old Trafford staff present while the revamp is going on - Security staff, admin etc. Makes sense that those boys and girls take their holidays during the off season as well.

Fluctuation0161

What point? As if 10 days is not enough for the paint to dry :lol:
Point being the whole of Old Trafford needs a refurb and is looking dated in comparison to other grounds. It has done for nearly a decade. Meanwhile, our forward thinking solution is to paint the exterior 10 days before the fecking season.

Big Andy

Bloke
Point being the whole of Old Trafford needs a refurb and is looking dated in comparison to other grounds. It has done for nearly a decade. Meanwhile, our forward thinking solution is to paint the exterior 10 days before the fecking season.
Paint takes like a day to dry...they could probably paint OT in about a week...

What’s the big problem?

decorativeed

I don't know how much painting there is needed to be done. My understanding is quite a lot. But tbh, I don't know much about the whole thing. I was just responding to a post about the delay in planning permission.
United use their own staff, rather than contractors, to do this kind of work. They've also had to redo the changing rooms, tunnel and disabled platform this summer. It's not that they've just sat on their arses till the last minute.

dove

I know OT needs a massive refurb but I still don't get what's the problem to do some small repaint job 10 days before the season? :lol: They could do it during the season for all I care...

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
United use their own staff, rather than contractors, to do this kind of work. They've also had to redo the changing rooms, tunnel and disabled platform this summer. It's not that they've just sat on their arses till the last minute.
That's good to hear. Do you know if they are doing anything about the paint peeling off the roof supports, and the discoloured translucent panels?

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I wonder if there's any limit to the triviality of things that people on here will moan about.

decorativeed

That's good to hear. Do you know if they are doing anything about the paint peeling off the roof supports, and the discoloured translucent panels?
Not as far as I know, and it was the first thing I asked too, it looks awful and has done for years.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Pre-match they showed the away changing room too. Looks absolute shite compared to what ours is and they mentioned it's smaller than what it used to be.

Carragher said they halved the size of it. Still better than most changing rooms in the league but about time we did something like this. A lot of teams have great Home changing rooms then run-down Away changing rooms to kinda put a dampener on their preparations for the game.

Less room to move in that changing room will give a more claustrophobic vibe with 20+ players in there (hardly any personal space) and the various members of the coaching team so should hopefully be a bit more intimidating for them while the home one is nice and spacious and gives our players the perfect preparation with massages they need and whatnot.

Neo_Mufc

Carragher said they halved the size of it. Still better than most changing rooms in the league but about time we did something like this. A lot of teams have great Home changing rooms then run-down Away changing rooms to kinda put a dampener on their preparations for the game.

Less room to move in that changing room will give a more claustrophobic vibe with 20+ players in there (hardly any personal space) and the various members of the coaching team so should hopefully be a bit more intimidating for them while the home one is nice and spacious and gives our players the perfect preparation with massages they need and whatnot.
Great hospitality by Utd :) It's a good move, why should they have any luxury.

Tbf we give the away fans a great area of the stadium as well but I guess it's more to do with security and a quick exit out than giving them a horrible part of the stadium.

maverickjesus

I dont think we should be going out of our way to make the away changing room a complete dump, but playing at home you expect the home team to have the advantage and that should include in the changing rooms. What they have done looks like a pretty reasonable approach really.

IrishRedDevil

I love the fact that they only fitted office/shop style suspended ceiling tiles in the away changing room :lol: Cheap and nasty.

Tiber

United make money from the Rugby games etc that sre played at Old Trafford, you cant making the second dressing room too shitty

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I didn't know they'd made the away dressing room smaller. It's an interesting move. There's a lot of psychology at play with an away dressing room. I did the Amsterdam Arena tour in May, and they talked about about what they do there. For instance, they put the coat hooks really high up the walls, like impractically high, to make the players feel small. They provide a whiteboard, but no pens, and it's not a magnetic one like most are, so they can't use their own magnets to outline formations and whatnot. Hardly any plug sockets. The dressing room is actually really big, but with benches only around the edges, loads of empty space in the middle and the whiteboard in the far corner, to make it difficult for the coaches to give instructions whilst everyone is sat around the benches. They have to walk down a long corridor to the tunnel, and the corridor is plastered with the club's history and iconic players. And only 10 showers, which runs cold water for the first 5 minutes. Pretty brutal.

They also said that some away dressing rooms in the Dutch league are painted really horrible colours, horrible dark browns and greens, or just plain black.

As someone above has said, the neutral events that take place there probably means United can't go full tilt with making the away dressing room too awful, unfortunately.

dove

Away dressing room stills looks way too good compared to other teams. Been to changing rooms at Stamford Bridge, away one is an absolute shithole, no wonder we always lose there.

Dumbat12

Do we need it? I see a lot of empty seats these days. I don't see how expanding the capacity will fill them more.

diarm

Do we need it? I see a lot of empty seats these days. I don't see how expanding the capacity will fill them more.
Do you see many empty seats when City or Liverpool come to play?

Madrid and Barca don't sell out the Nou Camp or the Bernabeu every week but it's great to have the size for the big games. Plus with more seats, United can offer more affordable options to hopefully attract those who can't afford to visit the current stadium.

predator

Youth NITK
I didn't know they'd made the away dressing room smaller. It's an interesting move. There's a lot of psychology at play with an away dressing room. I did the Amsterdam Arena tour in May, and they talked about about what they do there. For instance, they put the coat hooks really high up the walls, like impractically high, to make the players feel small. They provide a whiteboard, but no pens, and it's not a magnetic one like most are, so they can't use their own magnets to outline formations and whatnot. Hardly any plug sockets. The dressing room is actually really big, but with benches only around the edges, loads of empty space in the middle and the whiteboard in the far corner, to make it difficult for the coaches to give instructions whilst everyone is sat around the benches. They have to walk down a long corridor to the tunnel, and the corridor is plastered with the club's history and iconic players. And only 10 showers, which runs cold water for the first 5 minutes. Pretty brutal.

They also said that some away dressing rooms in the Dutch league are painted really horrible colours, horrible dark browns and greens, or just plain black.

As someone above has said, the neutral events that take place there probably means United can't go full tilt with making the away dressing room too awful, unfortunately.
Very interesting. I'd love to see some pictures of these away changing rooms but they seem to be scarce on Google images.

Dumbat12

Madrid and Barca don't sell out the Nou Camp or the Bernabeu every week but it's great to have the size for the big games. Plus with more seats, United can offer more affordable options to hopefully attract those who can't afford to visit the current stadium.
Fair enough.

Revan

Assumptionman

Add to that, we sell on average over 75k tickets, so even now, there are only just a few hundred tickets.not sold per each match.

ROFLUTION

Could it also be because some teams, (City) made a fool of themselves at Old Trafford after they won? They had plenty of room to pop champagne, dance around, being annoying, etc.

Affirmation

So Real Madrid are have announced they are officially redeveloping and expanding the Santiago Bernabéu. The video presentation looks incredible, it pretty much preserves the original stadium while while also redeveloping it to modernise the structure. However the reason I'm bringing this up here is because our club can't even figure out how to expand a single stand let alone redesign an entire stadium. Here is the video presentation: