Manchester United officials looking at plans to expand Old Trafford capacity to 88,000 | Scrapped?

What will happen first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
No chance can I see the glazers spending 1b on a new stadium. If you really want that, it’ll be the Saudis.
Agreed.
Depends really on how long they want to own our club.
One billion is a lot of money that's for sure. But spread over a decade isn't that much.

Remember. It is an investment and not a cost just like modernising your home. You will get a return.

deafepl

Agreed.
One billion is a lot of money that's for sure. But spread over a decade isn't that much.

Remember. It is an investment and not a cost just like modernising your home. You will get a return.
Worth to mention, if we boast our capacity to 90K or more, we'll generate more money in matchday revenue which could be useful for us to finance payments spreading over a decade.

Coops73

Good article. We have so much land around the ground, I've often thought could we build a whole new ground next to Old Trafford while we continue to play.
We need to be rivalling the Elite clubs in every way. 100,000+ futurist stadium should be something in the pipeline.
That’s what should happen but we’re owned by the Glazers so....

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Worth to mention, if we boast our capacity to 90K or more, we'll generate more money in matchday revenue which could be useful for us to finance payments spreading over a decade.
Yes exactly right. That is how it works.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agreed.

I mean yeah that’s great for the business, but not for the glazers pockets. They’ll probably just pay for it out of our transfer spend anyway.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I mean yeah that’s great for the business, but not for the glazers pockets. They’ll probably just pay for it out of our transfer spend anyway.
Yep. Zero ambition. Just happy to milk us for as much cash as possible.

deafepl

Glazer is a businessman and he knows if we upgrade our stadium to new and boost capacity to 90K+, it could increase the club's value and he won't have to pay for because we'll borrow loan, we can generate more money in matchday revenue with a 90K capacity which can be useful to finance payment over a decade. Glazers will make more money from this.

Adam-Utd

Glazer is a businessman and he knows if we upgrade our stadium to new and boost capacity to 90K+, it could increase the club's value and he won't have to pay for because we'll borrow loan, we can generate more money in matchday revenue with a 90K capacity which can be useful to finance payment over a decade. Glazers will make more money from this.
You really don’t know the glazers do you? That’s a long term investment which will take decades to claw back. While yes we will earn a few extra quid a match, to make a grand stadium worth replacing OT with it’ll be close to tottenhams 1bn spend. You’ll need a fair few extra pies to pay for that.

the glazers will prefer to have that in their pockets.

clarkydaz

that brings up the question how long they will be here for. I would have assumed they sell us before then, especially as success is drying up under them

deafepl

You really don’t know the glazers do you? That’s a long term investment which will take decades to claw back. While yes we will earn a few extra quid a match, to make a grand stadium worth replacing OT with it’ll be close to tottenhams 1bn spend. You’ll need a fair few extra pies to pay for that.

the glazers will prefer to have that in their pockets.
Excuse me? I thought there's no point in replying back to you especially you don't know how it works but anyways. I am sure many of Spurs investor and the owner would prefer to have money in their pockets rather than spending billions on a new stadium by your logic, it wont' affect Glazers at all, Glazers won't have anything to do with it.

Whether Glazers will invest or not is irreverent, we can finance loan to redevelop new stadium without Glazers. Is Glazers going to stop that and want all of the money in their pockets, that is what you mean? Glazers would want us to finance a new stadium which could increase the club's value and is not against that idea.

For an example, Real Madrid and Barcelona are looking to borrow money to redevelop their stadium and believe it could be paid back in a loan for next decades because of extra money they'll generate in matchday revenue that will cover their payment annually despite having no owner. Spurs are doing the same thing.

UnitedFan93

My only hope is that the club are waiting for our rivals to build new or develop their existing stadiums and then we build something bigger and better.

rotherham_red

According to Barney at RedNews, it's looking like there are active negotiations between the Glazers and the Saudis, so if it does happen, it'll be on their watch.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
According to Barney at RedNews, it's looking like there are active negotiations between the Glazers and the Saudis, so if it does happen, it'll be on their watch.
Think I'd rather keep OT how it is in that case. Glazers aren't great but they don't make me question my morals.

RedNed77

Excuse me? I thought there's no point in replying back to you especially you don't know how it works but anyways. I am sure many of Spurs investor and the owner would prefer to have money in their pockets rather than spending billions on a new stadium by your logic, it wont' affect Glazers at all, Glazers won't have anything to do with it.

Whether Glazers will invest or not is irreverent, we can finance loan to redevelop new stadium without Glazers. Is Glazers going to stop that and want all of the money in their pockets, that is what you mean? Glazers would want us to finance a new stadium which could increase the club's value and is not against that idea.

For an example, Real Madrid and Barcelona are looking to borrow money to redevelop their stadium and believe it could be paid back in a loan for next decades because of extra money they'll generate in matchday revenue that will cover their payment annually despite having no owner. Spurs are doing the same thing.
If you’re looking to spread the cost over 10 years to finance the deal solely from the revenue the seats provide, you’d need to fill the 90k seater stadium every week and those extra 12k seats would have to generate income of over £300 a seat. Neither of which is going to happen.

Adam-Utd

You clearly don’t understand. Of course I know how business and finance works, what you are talking about is a long term investment which is good for the club - but not for the glazers in the short term.

Maybe believe the glazers want to sell the club, so they won’t want to have a 1bn debt on their heads.

Football is probably at its maximum in terms of growth, and fees are going skyhigh. I just can’t see it happening, they’re known to shrewd investors, not spending happy.

deafepl

If you’re looking to spread the cost over 10 years to finance the deal solely from the revenue the seats provide, you’d need to fill the 90k seater stadium every week and those extra 12k seats would have to generate income of over £300 a seat. Neither of which is going to happen.

It's like mortgage, most mortgages on the house has 25 years term and some 30 years. Spurs have billion in debt for their new stadium, they're poor than us in revenue, but it's not going to take them to pay back in a short time but their revenue will increase over the next few decades and debt getting cheap in inflation rate and become meaningless for Spurs, it's investment long term.

We make 110m from the matchday, if we increase to 90 or 100k, for 90k, we can generate 20m+ from that matchday which can be useful to fund part of the payment, if we need to pay another 10m or 20m, which is like 10-20m for prospects promising player, our revenue is growing up with Chevrolet and Aon expiring in the next few years, I think we can afford that if we want a new stadium for ourselves, it's a tiny percentage of revenue that we afford to finance a new stadium in the long term .. Our stadium is always full at 99% capacity in the league.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Has anyone mentioned the train line issue yet?

Just 37 people? Oh, ok.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
It's like mortgage, most mortgages on the house has 25 years term and some 30 years. Spurs have billion in debt for their new stadium, they're poor than us in revenue, but it's not going to take them to pay back in a short time but their revenue will increase over the next few decades and debt getting cheap in inflation rate and become meaningless for Spurs, it's investment long term.

We make 110m from the matchday, if we increase to 90 or 100k, for 90k, we can generate 20m+ from that matchday which can be useful to fund part of the payment, if we need to pay another 10m or 20m, which is like 10-20m for prospects promising player, our revenue is growing up with Chevrolet and Aon expiring in the next few years, I think we can afford that if we want a new stadium for ourselves, it's a tiny percentage of revenue that we afford to finance a new stadium in the long term .. Our stadium is always full at 99% capacity in the league.
We really don't. As per the last accounts -up til June 30th of last year - we have £461m of loan debt. This is largely thanks to having re-invested most of the huge profits we make into the various construction costs.

stevoc

Enough of these off topic train related jokes lads, this has to be the end of the line for them.

deafepl

Happy to be taught about how much does Spurs stadium actually cost?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Something is definitely happening, and I also think there could be a mass exodus of players leaving in the summer.

rotherham_red

Something is definitely happening, and I also think there could be a mass exodus of players leaving in the summer.
I think the exodus of players is well overdue. I just hope it's the right players who are leaving, and not the few top quality players we still have. My hopes aren't high, however. Jones and Smalling getting contracts when we're crying out for a CB of real quality is concerning to say the least.

EDIT - Also, I'd rather this happened than not, because as bad as Jose was, he was undeniably a dealt shitty hand in having to put up with the dross that he was inherited. If Ole can ship out the likes of Jones, Darmian, Sanchez, et al and bring in real quality replacements and supplement the loss of the squad players with youth team reinforcements like Laird, O'Conner, Greenwood, Chong, Gomes etc, we'll be better for it an Ole can start to build something for the long-term and sustainable at the club. It will mean that Woodward and the fans will need to be patient (I can see the fans being ok with it, though Woodward might have itchy fingers)

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think the exodus of players is well overdue. I just hope it's the right players who are leaving, and not the few top quality players we still have. My hopes aren't high, however. Jones and Smalling getting contracts when we're crying out for a CB of real quality is concerning to say the least.
Did Barney relay the Saudi news via his podcast?

MonkeysMagic

No way this is even been contemplated by the Glazers. They have no long term vision for the club; its always short term sponsorship deal here another partnership over there!

Lets be brutally honest here, the only people having the resources to buy the club from Glazers are the Saudis and no matter how unpalatable that might sound to Utd fans I think it will happen but perhaps not until the glazers realise there is no more ‘value’ to be added to fatten the turkey!

Another important aspect, perhaps not even registering on some fans thoughts, is the value of pound sterling. Political events that are ocurring right now in UK may ultimately hasten the sale.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
We really don't. As per the last accounts -up til June 30th of last year - we have £461m of loan debt. This is largely thanks to having re-invested most of the huge profits we make into the various construction costs.
They just borrowed about two hundred million more. So I believe debt is around 650m now.

buckooo1978

No way this is even been contemplated by the Glazers. They have no long term vision for the club; its always short term sponsorship deal here another partnership over there!

Lets be brutally honest here, the only people having the resources to buy the club from Glazers are the Saudis and no matter how unpalatable that might sound to Utd fans I think it will happen but perhaps not until the glazers realise there is no more ‘value’ to be added to fatten the turkey!

Another important aspect, perhaps not even registering on some fans thoughts, is the value of pound sterling. Political events that are ocurring right now in UK may ultimately hasten the sale.
United not making top 4 might be the end of the Glazers... we will have peaked in our value for the next year or so and it would perhaps make sense for them to sell then?

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
They just borrowed about two hundred million more. So I believe debt is around 650m now.
You've confused having arranged a loan facility with actually using it all. Spurs declared a huge profit (£113m) after tax in those most recent accounts. Some or all of that money can be used to pay for further construction costs instead of just borrowing more from the banks.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Does he know what he's talking about? And what more did he say?

rotherham_red

Does he know what he's talking about? And what more did he say?
He has the longest running fanzine at Utd (it's actually the first fanzine at Utd), and knows many people at the club. I'd say him and Mitten are about as in the know re Utd as any fan can be.

He said a few more things which were very concrete, but I won't say it on a public setting considering that he gave that info in a publication which is available to buy, and which he has struggled to keep afloat due to numerous issues, so I won't do the scummy thing and plaster it on a publicly available forum and screw him out of potential purchases.