Manchester United officials looking at plans to expand Old Trafford capacity to 88,000 | Scrapped?

What will happen first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

settembrini

As someone who only used to go and watch United play at OT I was never bothered by how old the stadium was. But in the last year or so I've had the opportunity to go to a lot of newer grounds like the Emirates and Tottenham's and tbh I was jealous. They makes ours look extremely shabby and dated.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
We really should look at the railing seating idea, not only would it improve safety but the atmosphere and experience too. It's been shameful how we've neglected OT for so many years.
They are probably waiting to see where that goes. It's becoming wait and see where United are concerned. A club of our size should be at the cutting edge of everything, yet we are miles behind.
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/united-to-look-into-rail-seats-trial-at-old-trafford.450738/

meamth

I think we're fecked to be honest.

We're in debt, we need to spend at least 600 million in players current market, and at least what? Another 1 billion for total renovation like Camp Nou?

We're doomed. With the lack of success, the money will slow down, and where the heck can we find that 3 billion pounds for investment?

arthurka

It´s not just the stadium. Under Fergie Utd led the way in every department. If it was sport science, facilities or academy Utd paved the way forward.
But now Utd aren´t even considered to be leading anywhere. This is starting to have seriously negative effects on the club. The club is being run into the ground by people who only see the bottom line as a goal.
Very dire reading this.

fergiesarmy1

We're in debt, we need to spend at least 600 million in players current market, and at least what? Another 1 billion for total renovation like Camp Nou?

We're doomed.
It may need a city type owner to sort this mess out as horrible as that sounds.

Maticmaker

A number of lifts for disabled and/or those with mobility difficulties are now being built at Old Trafford, this should address the main issues that might prevent the Euro's being held there.

There are however a number of long term difficulties on access and egress, principally the Ground is effectively penned-in between a railway line on one side and a canal on the other, neither of which (so it seems) can be touched in terms of re-routing. This effective 'kettling' of the fans approaching and leaving the ground produces 'pinch-points' over both the canal and the railway. On entry this actually helps with security issues, but is much worse on exit, where fans on foot have to use the same egress routes over the canal as do vehicles. Much effort is made by stewards and use of traffic cones to try to control this exodus, but it still presents hazards which with todays upgraded rules on Health & Safety in public places must leave the club officials responsible with some worries.

Every change, or (so called) 'development' over the years seems to have been done somewhat piecemeal, plus for the average modern day member of the public, the size and shapes of the seats are too small, both in terms of girth and in terms of leg room available. Large screens have been called for, for a while, but none appear, there are many fans who would welcome a return to standing room only enclosures, but apparently the law of the land forbids these after Hillsborough and other tragedies elsewhere. Realistically a rebuild elsewhere would be best, but no one really wants to lose the 'theatre of dreams'. Also whilst 75000 tickets are sold for every home PL game and a minimum of say 50,000 for other cup games (even though not all turn up) then the club has no incentive to spend money on anything only mandatory requirements.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

We're doomed. With the lack of success, the money will slow down, and where the heck can we find that 3 billion pounds for investment?
We don't need to spend at least 600 million, we should be smart in the transfer market instead of going for the obvious players playing for midtable PL clubs who are strong financially.

Just 1 example, we spent 20 million on Dalot when we wanted staring RB, Leicester spent 25 million on Ricardo Pereira from the same club. We are just inefficient in the transfer market.

Denis' cuff

It´s not just the stadium. Under Fergie Utd led the way in every department. If it was sport science, facilities or academy Utd paved the way forward.
But now Utd aren´t even considered to be leading anywhere. This is starting to have seriously negative effects on the club. The club is being run into the ground by people who only see the bottom line as a goal.
Very dire reading this.

Since the war, United were always ahead of the rest. Always. This period is the first time since then that we are trailing behind lesser or even equally resourced clubs.

Absolute disgrace how the FA sat on their hands and watched this takeover. They didn’t hang about to squash it when big Rupert put in an offer to buy the club.

Fluctuation0161

I'm strongly against a new stadium for United, to the point where I could see myself chained in front of bulldozers on Matt Busby Way if they ever decided to demolish Old Trafford, as you can't buy the history we have at that ground. Also I've always given short shrift to complaints about leg room, the red spotted floors in the concourse and a general bit of shabbiness. But if the ground is now unsafe and in danger of failing to meet standards to host games that is a serious issue and is a living symbol of the decline this club has suffered under the Glazers.
You can invest in the stadium without leaving. Unfortunately for us, our owners have neglected to invest in the stadium.

Revaulx

There are however a number of long term difficulties on access and egress, principally the Ground is effectively penned-in between a railway line on one side and a canal on the other, neither of which (so it seems) can be touched in terms of re-routing. This effective 'kettling' of the fans approaching and leaving the ground produces 'pinch-points' over both the canal and the railway. On entry this actually helps with security issues, but is much worse on exit, where fans on foot have to use the same egress routes over the canal as do vehicles. Much effort is made by stewards and use of traffic cones to try to control this exodus, but it still presents hazards which with todays upgraded rules on Health & Safety in public places must leave the club officials responsible with some worries.
Wembley was rebuilt from the ground up, but egress towards the Chiltern line station (Wembley Stadium, not Wembley Park) is really difficult because it's impossible to get down onto ground level from the raised walkway that rings the stadiym, other than in a few places. It's absolutely infuriating.

meamth

We don't need to spend at least 600 million, we should be smart in the transfer market instead of going for the obvious players playing for midtable PL clubs who are strong financially.

Just 1 example, we spent 20 million on Dalot when we wanted staring RB, Leicester spent 25 million on Ricardo Pereira from the same club. We are just inefficient in the transfer market.
Sorry for the lack of details, I meant 600 million for at least 3 summer transfer season.

Imagine this, moving forward, the type of signings we want is like Kai Havertz, Odegaard, etc. Joao Felix set the bar last season with that kind of money.

roonster09

Scout
Sorry for the lack of details, I meant 600 million for at least 3 summer transfer season.

Imagine this, moving forward, the type of signings we want is like Kai Havertz, Odegaard, etc. Joao Felix set the bar last season with that kind of money.
We don't have to spend that much for every position. There are plenty of examples where the players are signed for good transfer fee. We made plenty of mistakes in the transfer market and we haven't learnt any lessons. Going by how we are spending, 600 million won't solve anything.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
You can invest in the stadium without leaving. Unfortunately for us, our owners have neglected to invest in the stadium.
True and that's the point I made at the end. I'm interested in having the stadium safe and functional number one, with modern fittings such as screens to show VAR decisions number two. Personally I'm much less interested in the shabbiness of the ground. Though the opinions of more regular visitors to the ground than my handful of home matches a season should take precedence over mine, I see the pining to renovate to modern standards as nothing more than keeping up with the Joneses. When I'm at a game I have zero interest in how the stadium looks, I have zero interest in drinking craft beer and I have zero interest in what cheeses are available. What I am interested in is seeing the football safely and taking pride in our history, so for me a renovation for safety and improvements to how the football is experienced are all that count (again I'm not a regular so season ticket holders' ideas matter far more than mine).

arthurka

Since the war, United were always ahead of the rest. Always. This period is the first time since then that we are trailing behind lesser or even equally resourced clubs.

Absolute disgrace how the FA sat on their hands and watched this takeover. They didn’t hang about to squash it when big Rupert put in an offer to buy the club.
It´s really a disgrace..

meamth

We don't have to spend that much for every position. There are plenty of examples where the players are signed for good transfer fee. We made plenty of mistakes in the transfer market and we haven't learnt any lessons. Going by how we are spending, 600 million won't solve anything.
That's just a rough estimate of 5 or 6 renowned wonderkids. If that's the star signings we want to change, that is it.

We can still sign gems like James, I don't necessarily mean we throw away 600 million and sign players like Lukaku/Pepe/Maguire..

Roughly if we follow the current state of our club, 2 big money signings like AWB and Maguire = 150 million, another 50 million for gems. We're lucky to get 4 players with 200 milion these days.

Liverpool used to sign moneyball signings before transfer market gone crazy, that is doable, but now? I don't think so mate.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
The level of investment required across all aspects of the club (first team squad, stadium, training complex, sports science etc) is staggering and I can’t see any realistic way it can be done from a commercial perspective without taking on a lot more debt. It’s a tough future we face.

PaulRich

This is where Middle Eastern money would help. Arabs are all about image. It would become a todger flopping contest and any potential suitor from that neck of the woods would just HAVE to get the biggest and best facility in the PL. Plus we'd get bankrolled rather than being a laundering vehicle for Team Glazer.

roonster09

Scout
That's just a rough estimate of 5 or 6 renowned wonderkids. If that's the star signings we want to change, that is it.

We can still sign gems like James, I don't necessarily mean we throw away 600 million and sign players like Lukaku/Pepe/Maguire..

Roughly if we follow the current state of our club, 2 big money signings like AWB and Maguire = 150 million, another 50 million for gems. We're lucky to get 4 players with 200 milion these days.

Liverpool used to sign moneyball signings before transfer market gone crazy, that is doable, but now? I don't think so mate.
It is doable, just that we can't as we are not efficient. Inter signed Sensi for 25 million (loan with option to buy). He is twice the player as Fred but costs half of the fee. We have spent so much money but signed poor players (With benefit of hindsight).

Also AWB is one more example where we could have avoided it, we could have signed Porto's first choice RB for same price as Dalot and we could have avoided 50 million for AWB.

With the way our transfer team works, 600 million is not enough anyways.

Denis' cuff

It´s really a disgrace..
Oddly enough, when people complain about the ethics of takeovers like City etc, the response is that they are bringing money into the game so the FA/PL aren’t going to object. Yet these leeches have been taking billions out for what, 13 years and counting?

fergiesarmy1

1600 quid for a 5 course meal after being thrashed by our biggest rivals. Bargain.
Haha I noticed that and thought sod that, if we put a team out that looks terrible I don’t think I can watch for free :nervous:

Needham

By the sounds of some of you you'd be happy to move to a shiny new 60,000 seater bowl in Sale. To hell with the rest of the world.

Jezpeza

sell the club to amazon or something haha. No it is bad, we would cost 4.2 billion to buy and level debt at the moment, before you think about upgrading the ground and players.

fergiesarmy1

By the sounds of some of you you'd be happy to move to a shiny new 60,000 seater bowl in Sale. To hell with the rest of the world.
I don’t want us to move at all, I want to see an upgrade plan in place not the painters out every summer.

Devil77

This is where Middle Eastern money would help. Arabs are all about image. It would become a todger flopping contest and any potential suitor from that neck of the woods would just HAVE to get the biggest and best facility in the PL. Plus we'd get bankrolled rather than being a laundering vehicle for Team Glazer.
Neglecting the fact that we would be funded by blood money. Backed by some of the world’s most fundamental and violent regimes with no respect for human rights.

Jezpeza

Neglecting the fact that we would be funded by blood money. Backed by some of the world’s most fundamental and violent regimes with no respect for human rights.
you realise the glazers are american right?

ravi2

Ed hired his pal Matt judge as our chief negotiator, who has zero transfer experience. That could be one of the reasons we are inefficient in the transfer market.

Jezpeza

Ed hired his pal Matt judge as our chief negotiator, who has zero transfer experience. That could be one of the reasons we are inefficient in the transfer market.
on top of this - we are one of the worlds richest clubs and have a proven track record of overpaying for players.

its also obvious to everyone other than our own fanbase how shite our squad is and how desperate we are for players