Manchester United officials looking at plans to expand Old Trafford capacity to 88,000 | Scrapped?

What will happen first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MemphisDepay

Supports
Rangers and Celtic

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan

stubie

If you haven't been to Old Trafford before, have a look on Google and you'll realise that this would be impossible.
Haven’t the Glazers snapped up most of the land surrounding Old Trafford?

Even if this would be a struggle I’d still be in favour of going down the Tottenham route

It probably won’t be much difference in terms of cost between modernising/expanding Old Trafford and building a new stadium.

Oscie

Old Trafford has a tradition. It's a theatre. It might need updating and expanding but there's a history there. Wouldn't want a new stadium at all. It's a classic design. Imagine how awful these currently 'modern' looking stadiums will look in 20 or 30 years time when the definition of 'modern' has evolved and they become football's equivalent of a 70s council estate tower block.

Last edited:

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Hoped I was wrong, but thought once the South Stand was named The Sir Bobby Charlton Stand it would be the end of any plans to have it mirror the Sir Alex Ferguson Stand and complete the Bowl effect, as there is no way now even if that option was available(doubt it ever really was)United would knock the stand down and do a complete rebuild.

The cantilever option seems to be the way to go, but it's unlikely it would be as high as the SAF Stand so whatever happens I think David Gill will always be happy, didn't he once say he quite liked the Quirky look of Old Trafford ?

bonusroller

Don't US sports stadiums get big hand outs from the tax payer? Ain't gonna happen here.

No way Glazers will put £1bn into a new stadium

decorativeed

why would we ever consier doing that? Cant see the need.
Also, we couldnt call it "Old" Trafford anymore either :(

Out of interest, why did the NYG decide to buiid a totally new stadium?
WTF are you on about? It's named after the area of Manchester it's in - Old Trafford. It's not a commentary about its age.

decorativeed

Old Trafford has a tradition. It's a theatre. It might need updating and expanding but there's a history there. Wouldn't want a new stadium at all. It's a classic design. Imagine how awful these currently 'modern' looking stadiums will look in 20 or 30 years time when the definition of 'modern' has evolved and they become football's equivalent of a 70s council estate tower block.
It's not really a design at all though, its current look is the result of three or four different stages of development happening over the last 40 years or so. The East and West stands and quadrants are of a similar but different design due to the lack of glass frontage on the Stretford End, and the SAF and Sir Bobby Stands are completely different again. The last time it was a complete piece that looked like it was of one considered and uniform design was in 1995.

Morpheus 7

Expansion is good because it creates more revenue/ prestige ect, my concern is what we have to be honest. It's about getting a real atmosphere back consistently. Standing section's hopefully in the future, huge banners and flags and banishing the family section to the third tier. We need to create a more hardcore intimidating vibe closer to the pitch, let the teams visiting really feel it. I'd even say get closer to the pitch on all side's. Hate feeling like an alien for standing up, singing, making noise in general. It feels like watching the game at home sometimes. I don't go over alot but will be interested to see if things have improved in a few weeks. Expansion will be only good if it properly improves the atmosphere, I'm more concerned about the decibel level rather than how many United pies can be sold at half time.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
5 years back the matchday revenue was 33% of our overall revenue but now it is down to less than 20% so I just don't see the club being too bothered about the stadium anymore. Rather than an expansion I would prefer a bit of spending on the current stadium to make it a better experience but again it won't help financially so not sure the club will bother with that either

Last edited:

I think they need to bite the bullet and figure out how to build over the railway. It's been the main thing holding the stadium back for years.

Mr.Ridiculous__

The name says it all
I went to Old Trafford for the first time ever this summer. It's been well over a decade supporting Man Utd (I'm 22).
That rush and the goosebumps I felt when I first saw the pitch. The seats which were once occupied by SAF and his team. The tunnel, where the players walked out. Best day in a long long time.

The point is, even though I live thousands of miles away from Old Trafford. The history and story of the stadium matters to me. I really hope that the club aims for an expansion of the existing stadium and not build a new one.

Reactions: Penna

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One small problem for season ticket holders if the capacity does go up that high, would be that it'd surely be nigh impossible to ship off unwanted midweek/minor cup competition tickets!

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Scrap the compulsory cup scheme.
Bring in LMTB.
Introduce safe standing to J Stand, East lower and Stretford End lower.
If the club is extending South Stand, make 2000 free tickets available for local kids.

Job done.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Bleacher Report are saying we've announced plans to expand. That's more than just talking about it, but I can't see that anywhere else.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Bleacher Report are saying we've announced plans to expand. That's more than just talking about it, but I can't see that anywhere else.
Honestly don't rate Bleacher as a fountain of knowledge, they right good analytic pieces but doubt they have much real inside info.

Bubz27

Honestly don't rate Bleacher as a fountain of knowledge, they right good analytic pieces but doubt they have much real inside info.
I agree. But their post sounds like United have confirmed it, not that they've had a scoop. Of course, United haven't announced it as it'd be in their site.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I agree. But their post sounds like United have confirmed it, not that they've had a scoop. Of course, United haven't announced it as it'd be in their site.
How much development can be done, I agree you definitely have the assets and fan base to fulfill it but would this be a new stadium, a refurb or extended stands? I know from our stadium that any drastic change takes years to get approval, I'd say OT has the same type of residential location as WHL.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How much development can be done, I agree you definitely have the assets and fan base to fulfill it but would this be a new stadium, a refurb or extended stands? I know from our stadium that any drastic change takes years to get approval, I'd say OT has the same type of residential location as WHL.
I think the land that would need developing is now owned by Man Utd. A lot of reports have suggested it would be easy to build over the railway with minimal disruption

Bubz27

Tbh I'm not really sure. I know the Glazers have been buying up land all around Old Trafford. But I don't know much about the logistics about how we'd go about it.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I think the land that would need developing is now owned by Man Utd. A lot of reports have suggested it would be easy to build over the railway with minimal disruption
Tbh I'm not really sure. I know the Glazers have been buying up land all around Old Trafford. But I don't know much about the logistics about how we'd go about it.
woukd be great for the league, especially cause you can fill it compared to your noisy neighbours.

Token Sheet

"No 6 bus to Old Trafford 6p, Admission to re
Old Trafford with the exception of a row of houses on Sir Matt Busby way and Railway Rd doesn't have any residential houses which would be directly affected by an expansion. Sir Bobby Charlton stand is in line to be extended which in comparison to the other 3 sides has basically stood undeveloped for 40 years or so.
Suggestion is row of exec boxes on top of existing stand then a stand comparable to other sides above that. Only other issue has been railway line directly behind it but I believe this is not a problem as was in years gone by.
They've had approval for many years just never took the option to extend til now apparently.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Maybe we'd have a semblance of an atmosphere just by sheer numbers.
Yeah the atmosphere at OT is amazing even as an away fan, and honestly was never any hostility. It may sound strange but it was the closest atmosphere I've had to the old WHL. Not that were anywhere near the same level of success I just mean the feel of "old" football.

Old Trafford with the exception of a row of houses on Sir Matt Busby way and Railway Rd doesn't have any residential houses which would be directly affected by an expansion. Sir Bobby Charlton stand is in line to be extended which in comparison to the other 3 sides has basically stood undeveloped for 40 years or so.
Suggestion is row of exec boxes on top of existing stand then a stand comparable to other sides above that. Only other issue has been railway line directly behind it but I believe this is not a problem as was in years gone by.
They've had approval for many years just never took the option to extend til now apparently.
Would just love a stadium comparable to the big Spanish clubs, the Nou Camp is a shit hole as a stadium but the atmosphere of nearly 100,000 is amazing. Only been there once.