Manchester United officials looking at plans to expand Old Trafford capacity to 88,000 | Scrapped?

What will happen first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
For us to increase our seating capacity.
The report is we have shelved plans to do this, so I wasn't sure where you were coming from. Now I know you have obviously misread the tweet.

Red00012

This has to be rubbish, how much more money does he need to spend ? A centre back and a CM isn’t going to cost the same as a stadium expansion. Plus they’re probably going to off load blind and darmain as well as lose Zlatan wages . Daily mail trying to sell a slow news day I think.

GazTheLegend

Daily Mail regularly lies about us and Martin Samuel has to be on the payroll of Qatar/Man City at least, I wouldn't worry about anything they say.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
So Old Trafford is now offically OLD.

If we continue to neglect then we will be so far behind City in terms stadia development that it will become embarassing very soon.

Summit

If we continue to neglect then we will be so far behind City in terms stadia development that it will become embarassing very soon.
No it won't

Bojan11

Atleast we fill our stadium.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
This has to be rubbish, how much more money does he need to spend ? A centre back and a CM isn’t going to cost the same as a stadium expansion. Plus they’re probably going to off load blind and darmain as well as lose Zlatan wages . Daily mail trying to sell a slow news day I think.
Two CMs to replace Fellaini and Carrick, and a left back are the definites. We also need an RB and a new CB but I don't think we'll make signings in the CB department this summer.

They're our weaker areas but I also think there's a chance we'll try to sign Bale.

SecondFig

Personally, I'd rather they expanded/improved Old Trafford than splashed out another few hundred million. Especially if that money goes on big name players like Bale

edcunited1878

City have a difficult time selling out their stadium and have an easier time selling out to their owners.

Old Trafford > Emptihad

stevoc

Two CMs to replace Fellaini and Carrick, and a left back are the definites. We also need an RB and a new CB but I don't think we'll make signings in the CB department this summer.

They're our weaker areas but I also think there's a chance we'll try to sign Bale.
Not too keen on Bale at this stage but a right winger is needed. I would say it should really be our priority this summer along with a CM.

Infra-red

Sounds like the sort of thing you might say to appease the fans when you decide that you don't actually fancy paying to improve the stadium after all...

Summit

Sounds like the sort of thing you might say to appease the fans when you decide that you don't actually fancy paying to improve the stadium after all...
Why are the fans disgruntled or something?

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The third tier is an absolute joke as is the lack of a decent screen, especially with implementation of VAR on the horizon. Yeah we don't have a problem filling the stadium but a bigger/better stadium would take United to a different level. Still can't get over how crap the website is. Short-termism will lose the day eventually.

deafepl

City doesn't even own their own stadium and they are tenants of the council stadium. I guess we probably will get a new stadium in the next decade when we finish paying off our interests payment instalment or revamping Old Trafford like Real Madrid and Barcelona planning to revamp their stadium.

Captain Obvious

IF this is true then I don't see anything wrong with it. If we're going all out on spending then i don't mind stalling OTs expansion plans. Everyone is spending like crazy now to have a team stacked full of world class players, and we need to outspend or match them. It's just our defense left and one or two midfielders/attackers.

We could have 88,000 seats but who's going to travel to see a bunch of players hoofing it for 90 minutes. Our number one priority right now is to fix the football first and then fix the stadium.

Reactions: SteveJ

Morpheus 7

Probably better focusing on the dire atmosphere that's currently at old Trafford. Revamp sound acoustics, safe standing everywhere, huge flags allowed in, singing section expanded, send the family stand in to the third tiers(except Stretford end third tier)so they can be mute away from the players. Bigger doesn't always mean better with a stadium. It's more about quality over quantity.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
We'll never improve the atmosphere until we have safe standing at OT it doesn't matter how many the stadium holds.

Giggs86

A bigger stadium won't improve us, a few more decent signings sure will. Right now we need to complete the overhaul of our squad, we need a RW and fullbacks. Let's get back to winning trophies, then worry about Stadium capacity.

meamth

A bigger stadium won't improve us, a few more decent signings sure will. Right now we need to complete the overhaul of our squad, we need a RW and fullbacks. Let's get back to winning trophies, then worry about Stadium capacity.
Put some atmosphere stereo mic on the singing stand and also some speakers for them because the foreigners won't sing. That would solve some of the problem or I'm that naive. :lol:

cyril C

Let's put this into perspective. I think they are planning to combine expansion and renovation into a single project, so total budget required would likely be excess of 100m. Can the club afford to put on an extra 100m debt, can they sell the spare capacity, answer to both should be YES.

Then look at squad refresh. Say 2 MF, a RB for 120m, but offloading Darmian, Blind, Fellaini, Carrick and Ibra, say crawl back 50m plus saving of 600K/w wages, but then Martial Shaw and possibly Pogba are looking at wage increase. So I would say we are probably looking at 100m new cost over next 3 years on squad refresh. 200m might raise some concern but the return is obvious.

If there is any reservation on the project, my bet is more on viability of the construction and risk of disruption. Renovation itself can be completed during summer break, but new expansion cannot.

Giggs86

Put some atmosphere stereo mic on the singing stand and also some speakers for them because the foreigners won't sing. That would solve some of the problem or I'm that naive. :lol:
I don't think that the atmosphere or singing can improve the performance on the pitch. Look at City, they have an atmosphere of an abandoned cemetery and it doesn't bother them to perform on the pitch. Having a good atmosphere is nice, but having good players is more important.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Let's put this into perspective. I think they are planning to combine expansion and renovation into a single project, so total budget required would likely be excess of 100m. Can the club afford to put on an extra 100m debt, can they sell the spare capacity, answer to both should be YES.

Then look at squad refresh. Say 2 MF, a RB for 120m, but offloading Darmian, Blind, Fellaini, Carrick and Ibra, say crawl back 50m plus saving of 600K/w wages, but then Martial Shaw and possibly Pogba are looking at wage increase. So I would say we are probably looking at 100m new cost over next 3 years on squad refresh. 200m might raise some concern but the return is obvious.

If there is any reservation on the project, my bet is more on viability of the construction and risk of disruption. Renovation itself can be completed during summer break, but new expansion cannot.
I doubt we'll be able to get 50M from selling Darmian and Blind (the other three would be either leaving on a free or retiring). Likewise I doubt we'll be able to bring in two midfielders and a right back for 120M combined with the way prices are going.

cyril C

I doubt we'll be able to get 50M from selling Darmian and Blind (the other three would be either leaving on a free or retiring). Likewise I doubt we'll be able to bring in two midfielders and a right back for 120M combined with the way prices are going.
25m for Blind and Darmian each not possible? This is not excessive and I doubt we will sell any of them for less than 20m.

OK 120m for 3 players might be ambitious. 1 quality CM for 60m but then the 2nd one won't go above 40. RB 40m?

p.s. I challenge the requirement of a 2nd MF. McTom is coming out of the rank, Periera is doing fine in Spain, and MFN?

Last edited:

pixel

Wonder how many times more we are going to say that.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The third tier is an absolute joke as is the lack of a decent screen, especially with implementation of VAR on the horizon. Yeah we don't have a problem filling the stadium but a bigger/better stadium would take United to a different level. Still can't get over how crap the website is. Short-termism will lose the day eventually.
No screens at all would be better. Sucks the life out of things hearing secondary reactions.

Varun

Staff
2 CMs, a RB and probably a LB as well to go with an Alderweireld if he becomes available. We're looking at 150mil+ again.

gajender

25m for Blind and Darmian each not possible? This is not excessive and I doubt we will sell any of them for less than 20m.

OK 120m for 3 players might be ambitious. 1 quality CM for 60m but then the 2nd one won't go above 40. RB 40m?

p.s. I challenge the requirement of a 2nd MF. McTom is coming out of the rank, Periera is doing fine in Spain, and MFN?
25m each for Blind and Darmian is not ambitious it's downright deluded we would lucky to get anything above 25 m combined for these two.

Mctominay has done well but let's not get carried away and Pereira has hardly played in midfield for Valencia, same is true for Fosu-Mensah at Palace. If Mourinho is planning to play 3 man Midfield regularly next season then we certainly require 2 new additions.

Varun

Staff

No, not possible. We'd have still managed a decent sum if we were flogging them to a PL club but Darmian will almost certainly have no takers. Doubt an Italian club will shell out more than 10mil for him. Blind depending on where he goes may get us 20mil.

We'll almost certainly get 2 CMs.

Sanche7

2 CMs, a RB and probably a LB as well to go with an Alderweireld if he becomes available. We're looking at 150mil+ again.
Didn't Mourinho say that he won't be making more than 2/3 signings with those 3 being most probably 2 CMs and a LB.
Even if those 3 are Jorginho, SMS and Alex Sandro, it would cost 40+80+60 million approximately without add ons.That means 180 mill.We may sell Blind, Damian for say 30 million.Which leaves us at 150 million - the normal yearly budget we have and about 500k per week reduction in wage bill .

In that case all this reasoning behind not improving the stadium sounds BS.
To quote @Infra-red Sounds like the sort of thing you might say to appease the fans when you decide that you don't actually fancy paying to improve the stadium after all...

Varun

Staff
Didn't Mourinho say that he won't be making more than 2/3 signings with those 3 being most probably 2 CMs and a LB.
Even if those 3 are Jorginho, SMS and Alex Sandro, it would cost 40+80+60 million approximately without add ons.That means 180 mill.We may sell Blind, Damian for say 30 million.Which leaves us at 150 million - the normal yearly budget we have and about 500k per week reduction in wage bill .

In that case all this reasoning behind not improving the stadium sounds BS.
To quote @Infra-red Sounds like the sort of thing you might say to appease the fans when you decide that you don't actually fancy paying to improve the stadium after all...
Not sure if he's commented on where we'll be spending, could be. Agree with the point you're making about the announcement though but then I'm not convinced if its actually come from the club as a fact. Could just be a journo latching onto something he hears may be happening.