Manchester United officials looking at plans to expand Old Trafford capacity to 88,000 | Scrapped?

What will happen first?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Manchester United officials are looking at ways to expand the capacity of Old Trafford to 88,000.

The proposed increase of more than 12,000 seats from the present capacity of 75,643 would be achieved by extending the Sir Bobby Charlton Stand, formerly known as the South Stand.

Old Trafford is already the largest club stadium in Britain, but this would almost take it onto a par with Wembley Stadium, which holds 90,000 spectators.

It would also see Old Trafford's capacity overtake the San Siro, Bernabeu, Stade de France and Westfalenstadion on the continent.

United are giving strong consideration to the long-term expansion plans because a new section for disabled fans - expected to be completed by 2020 - would lead to a reduction in capacity to around 73,300.

Previously, the railway line at the back of the Sir Bobby Charlton Stand meant expanding it would require a costly tunnel and the demolition of a number of houses.

However, advances in stadium technology mean this may no longer be a problem and 7,500 more seats could be added.

United would then look at adding quadrants in the two corners of the stand to raise the capacity to 88,000, meaning the ground would be behind only Barcelona's Nou Camp (99,354) and Wembley in Europe.

A safe-standing area may also feature in the development with United fans in favour of the concept, which would require a change in the current legislation for stadiums.

It comes as United are set to appoint full-time ticket tout officers to clamp down on the black market sale of thousands of tickets.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...d-Trafford-expansion-plans.html#ixzz4uR901o9K
Thoughts?

I think it's obvious the new step.

AdnanRED

I'm all for this, gives fans more of a chance to also see Utd play plus the extra money coming in always a bonus.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Glad to hear it - rivals have been steadily increasing their capacities recently. Will remind them there is only one elite level club stadium in the country.

Scarecrow

Having a week off
Not that it matters too much but wouldn't that be about 85k, after the disabled fans section is completed?

Akshay

Staff
Haven't they looked at and shelved plans like these a few times? Good to hear that it might be done without rebuilding the railway line and buying out house properties though, that sounds more doable.

Also safe standing can't happen soon enough imo.

Rusholme Ruffian

If safe standing came in then maybe they could increase leg room and still attain this kind of capacity? Otherwise, personally (not that I make it more than a few times per season these days) I'd rather a slightly lower capacity than what they're suggesting - maybe c75K - but a bit more space.

Infra-red

The stadium is starting to look pretty run-down and is certainly old fashioned. In general, a refurbishment is needed as much as an expansion, although the recent reduction in seating has perhaps shifted the balance towards adding another tier instead. Could definitely do with some more legroom one day though!

The stadium is starting to look pretty run-down and is certainly old fashioned. In general, a refurbishment is needed as much as an expansion, although the recent reduction in seating has perhaps shifted the balance towards adding another tier instead.
I'm sure it's in the plans. Debt is getting lower so they will certainly want to add some.

An extension, safe standing, new facade, new executive zones are no doubt all in the pipeline as they will all add debt now and make money later.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
About time if you ask me.

The south stand is a mess and also makes the whole stadium look lob sided.

I hope we decide to update the facilities and re skin the whole stadium too.

Can anything be done about the north stand roof and the supporting metal structure...abit of an eye sore?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
The demand for tickets is there, season tickets anyway.

The old match by match application system is dead in the water, so the only reason we have odd spares is because the bulk-buy approach before the season starts is shit.

I’ve been on a season ticket waiting list for 4 years along with 4 friends.

Jacko21

Think Mike Keegan from the Mail was briefed on this, along with a few other tidbits - that could only have come from someone within the club.

However, the club have been 'looking' at plans for several years. It still doesn't mean there is anything imminent.

The reduced capacity due to disabled seating could well force the their hand. Losing over 2000 seats is not insignificant. That coupled with the demand for corporate/executive seating and facilities, might see the club finally rubber stamp the expansion.

In 2006, it cost £42m for the two quadrants in the SAF stand to be built. So who knows what doing the same, plus adding an additional, cantilever tier would cost today.

Prodigal7

Long overdue IMO. But, it will all come down to the business case and the cost of expanding will be high due to the surrounding infastructure

Trizy

However, advances in stadium technology mean this may no longer be a problem and 7,500 more seats could be added.
Ya, reinforced concrete and structural steel beams to create a cantilever structure is brand new technology.

ice-bionic red

Would Old Trafford sell out 88,000 regularly?

Would love to see it happen. My dream is to have a season ticket 1 day as well (all in good time haha)

MadMike

I guess they could, with today's technology, build up on the current footprint of the South Stand.

Such as:
The more I look at pictures of stadia like this one the more I start to believe we could do with a new one or a massive redevelopment.

City had their new stadium built in 2002, Arsenal in 2006, Tottenham are building a new one and Chelsea have plans for one too. In the meantime on the big European stage, Bayern opened the new Allianz Arena in 2005, Juventus entered their new home in 2011, Real Madrid and Barcelona have announced plans to redevelop Bernabeu and Camp Nou respectively by 2020. For a club of our standing and finances we were being left behind.

We already have many issues with Old Trafford as discussed in the previous thread. The roof, leg-room, capacity, bad toilet facilities, lopsidedness due to south stand... as well as the lack of modern features like escalators, safe standing areas, screens, fully-covered roof etc.

It's time

Ballache

Supports
Martial
would be incredible if the West Stand becomes all safe standing! Seats at OT are ridiculous and I'm only 180 cm so hope they sort that out too.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
The main stand of the Vicente Calderón was partially built over the M-30 motorway. In theory, you need stronger reinforcement, better vibration absorption and heightened security measures (a train explosion and subsequent derailment impact could injure or even kill thousands in one go once if the stand collapses) for the freight line.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
but are they going to put fans so far up that they will need breathing apparatus and arctic-condition clothing?

ravelston

The stadium is starting to look pretty run-down and is certainly old fashioned. In general, a refurbishment is needed as much as an expansion, although the recent reduction in seating has perhaps shifted the balance towards adding another tier instead. Could definitely do with some more legroom one day though!
Isn't legroom a function of the step size in the tiering? Can't see how it could be increase without a total rebuild.