Manchester United over the decade #2 -Most promising youth player

Who will have the most successful career?

• Mason Greenwood

Votes: 128 81.0%
  • Dean Henderson

Votes: 14 8.9%
  • Brandon Williams

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Axel Tuanzebe

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Angel Gomes

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Hannibal Mejbri

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Tahith Chong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • James Garner

• Ethan Laird

• Largie Ramazani

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Hello all, welcome to the second thread on United over the decade. I'll be adding one a day all week. Sorry for the 'spam' but I want to get them done. Today we are voting for United's best youth prospect. To get on the list they should have:
a) Played less than 40 games in the first team
b) Come through the United youth team.
Vote for who you think will have the most successful footballing career over the next decade.

1. Mason Greenwood

2. Dean Henderson

3. Brandon Williams

4. Axel Tuanzebe

5. Angel Gomes

6. Hannibal Mejbri

7. Tahith Chong

8. James Garner

9. Ethan Laird

10. Largie Ramazani

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
I know this is a random category as players like Rashford and Mctominay have missed out based on their birthday. However, it is just a bit of fun and crystal ball gazing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Bit of a cheat not having Rashford, but I guess he’d just clean sweep.

the chameleon

From this bunch it as to be Henderson. Purely based on him being the only one being a key player in a top league.

Otherwise, based on talent, I would say Greenwood or Gomes.

However, it seems the poll is only including players from latter half of the decade.

What about the likes of Januzaj, Wilson, Keanes, Ravel. They were all this decade.

Then we have Pogba, Rashy, McSauce too.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
From this bunch it as to be Henderson. Purely based on him being the only one being a key player in a top league.

Otherwise, based on talent, I would say Greenwood or Gomes.

However, it seems the poll is only including players from latter half of the decade.

What about the likes of Januzaj, Wilson, Keanes, Ravel. They were all this decade.

Then we have Pogba, Rashy, McSauce too.
None of which have progressed nearly as well as expected.

The list in the OP contains players who have yet to prove themselves one way or the other, but are showing promise all the same.

Aouer-United

Mejbri will have a very good career, we don't pay for 9 million just to play him in youth and ship him off to league two-level for peanuts. He has potential world-class, his talents are obvious and he's one of France's biggest talents, probably only second to Cherki.

Greenwood, obviously.

James Garner will have a good career, either with us or at other PL clubs.

I think Henderson won't play for us anymore with De Gea's new contacts unless De Gea ends up one of the worst goalkeepers in PL and concede more goals than expected. Dean Henderson has been linked heavy with Bayern Munich recently, Juve seem to like him, it's a question of whether he is open to move aboard or stay in PL with Sheffield or other clubs in PL. He is already touted to be the future England No.1. He'll have a good career, I am sure.

Axel strike me as more of defenders who will be squad player for us, he hasn't proved much that he is worthy of replacing Lindelof as first CB choice.

Angel Gomes - if he ends up so good, let it be with us or somewhere where he can play, we'll regret if he ends up the next Pogba who goes to be world-class players. If not, he'll have a good career like Januzaj. We have to be very careful with his development, the calibre of his talents don't come often.

Ethan Laird - Probably best of his generation in fullback position around his ages, he's versatile and plays comfortably on LB and RB, even at CB, his delivery from fullback is amazing. He has to challenge Dalot for backup RB before he can think about completing for first RB choice with AWB. Physically he's not ready, we'll see more of him in a few years when he gets stronger.

Chong, I don't know but whenever I watch him in the first team, he looks like he would become the next Ryan Giggs then later, suddenly he looks like Bebe, his talents are difficult to examine. I don't think he has a future for us but he can have a good career, even in the championship or somewhere where they want to play old tradition wingers.

Brandon Williams - Even though he's not technically gifted but his work rate, mentally, and determination is super amazing, it would keep him on here for many years. Like Scott, he's someone you never thought he'd make it here before but he made it ahead of many other super talents who were touted for greatness but didn't make it here, there's much more to things than just "talents"

United58

I voted Greenwood as he's well on his way already but I'm surprised at how little votes Mejbri is getting - he looks fantastic, hopefully it translates to senior football.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Too early for Hannibal, although I have huge hopes for him. Out of the rest, Greenwood is on another level, easily, although anything can happen..

RedNed77

I voted Greenwood as he's well on his way already but I'm surprised at how little votes Mejbri is getting - he looks fantastic, hopefully it translates to senior football.
A lot of us don’t really watch enough of the younger sides to form an opinion. It’s probably a good thing that people are voting for players that they’ve seen rather than a player they’ve heard is good. Like the usual good ol’ caf way.

the chameleon

None of which have progressed nearly as well as expected.

The list in the OP contains players who have yet to prove themselves one way or the other, but are showing promise all the same.
That's the point. They were great academy players. None of these guys have made it until they've made it (subjective to most people).

pascell

Tough one for me, Greenwood is obviously the stand out but Garner and Laird could both easily become first team players, if they translate their u19s & u23s game to senior football.

Tuanzebe is clearly liked by Ole, it's just a case of keeping him fit and Williams has also performed very well in some games he's played.

Too early to say on Mejbri and others who aren't on the list such as Emeran, Hoogewerf and even Sotona.

I think all the players listed and even Levitt & Kovar could be first team/squad players, every club could say the same about their prospects, it's just the transitional phase, avoid injuries and ensuring their feet stay firmly on the ground. Bright future ahead and a lot of players to keep an eye on.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I just want to point out that the new decade starts in more than a year's time so this thread is shit.

Greenwood will definitely have a PL career at some level. Nobody else is nailed on for that but any one of them could shine.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Surely it’s 2020-2029.
Erratum. It's 2021-2030. A common misconception. There is no year 0AD because they hadn't invented zero yet meaning 1AD was the start of the decade.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hello all, welcome to the second thread on United over the decade. I'll be adding one a day all week. Sorry for the 'spam' but I want to get them done. Today we are voting for United's best youth prospect. To get on the list they should have:
a) Played less than 40 games in the first team
b) Come through the United youth team.
Is it, more promising youth player in 2019 or most promising youth player in this decade?

If it's 2019, it's Greenwood.

If it's this decade, players like Januzaj, Morrison, Pogba should be on the list.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Is it, more promising youth player in 2019 or most promising youth player in this decade?

If it's 2019, it's Greenwood.

If it's this decade, players like Januzaj, Morrison, Pogba should be on the list.
Just for now. We have a best home grown player coming up.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Haven't really seen a lot of these young players except for of course Greenwood. He is a natural two footed finisher with wonderful technique. Once he has some experience and physique to go with that, he'll become a consistent goalscorer and a definite decade-long starter for a PL-level team.

Biased but easy vote.