Manchester United over the decade #3 - Worst incoming transfer

Which of the following was the worst signing?

• Alexis Sanchez

Votes: 243 81.3%
  • Bastian Schweinsteiger

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Angel di Maria

Votes: 21 7.0%
  • Morgan Schneiderlin

Votes: 5 1.7%
  • Falcao

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Bebe

Votes: 19 6.4%
  • Henrikh Mkhitaryan

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Matteo Darmian

• Memphis Depay

• Eric Bailly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Paul_Scholes18

Sanchez was free right so it is not a massive fee. I think Falcao and Sweinsteiger was stupid waste of money too. We payed a lot for Sweinsteiger if I remember it right.

Looking at money payed then Sanchez should not be the worst even if he performed terrible here.

redcafe_reader

Sanchez 100%

IMO we are on the (somewhat) upward trajectory until we signed him. His wage, his play style and Mourinho's obsession with playing him on the left disrupt our team too much.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
If we're talking about expectations then it's obviously Sanchez. But if it's about performance on the pitch then it's between Bebe and Schneiderlin.
I kind of feel for Bebe on this one. He was a cheap buy with very little expectations. He was a footballer who had never really been coached and was running on pure natural talent. I thought it was worth the risk. As it turned out, he just wasn't good enough. However, 2 goals in 7 games isn't bad and he has gone on to have a decent career and is still playing professionally. Everyone made such a big deal of a 7m signing, but I thought it was worth the risk for a guy who obviously had talent. Unfortunately, he was found too late in his footballing career to turn that natural talent into something of Manchester United quality. But give me a choice of having either him or Periera on the wing, and I will take Bebe all day. At the very least at least he was explosive (if that counts for anything :lol: :lol: :lol: )

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I think it's hard to tough on DiMaria as well. His failure for me is all on LVG. At one point LVG moaned that we didn't have a 20 goal scorer on the team, meanwhile he had sold RVP and Chicharito and was playing DiMaria (or most creative player) as a striker, and playing Rooney (our best goal scorer) as a midfielder. When played on the wing DiMaria did well and contributed with several assists. But then after one poor game against Arsenal where he got a red card, he barely played again. But that was LVG. His starting 11 was rarely rotated, and once you got out of favour with him, you didn't get back in. I think under any other manager DiMaria would have been a class signing...

Gopher Brown

I'm amazed Darmian played for us 92 times! I would have thought it was a third of that!

I think signing players with no idea how they are going to fit into the team always results in a dud - Sanchez, Di Maria, Falcao, Mhiki (to some extent), Mata as well, although to a lesser degree.

Di Maria was the most unfortunate one. Van Gaal had no worldly idea of what to do with him - played him as a wing back, up front, right wing - when his best position was left of a midfield 3.

Canagel

This is Angel Di Maria by some distance for me.
How? he got 4 goals and 10/11 assists even in a disrupted campaign. How many players have got double figure assists in a season after Ferguson retired?

Revaulx

Am I the only person on here to think that Schweinsteiger was pretty decent in the few games he managed to play for us?

In any case, I always thought LvG brought him in as much for his leadership and influence off the field as on it. It was really disappointing that he was constantly jetting off to watch his girlfriend rather than sticking around as a sort of non-playing mascot.

Gopher Brown

Sanchez was free right so it is not a massive fee. I think Falcao and Sweinsteiger was stupid waste of money too. We payed a lot for Sweinsteiger if I remember it right.

Looking at money payed then Sanchez should not be the worst even if he performed terrible here.
"Free"

In his 18 months here he cost us around £39m in wages - yes there are some other factors, such as losing Mhiki's wages, but I'm not taking into account Sanchez's sign-on fee which would have been substantial (reportedly £29m) - so we're talking nearly £70m.

If reports are correct we're still paying him £300k per week to sit around in Milan.

As far as expectations v reality goes, I'd say only Di Maria comes close for such a let down, but at least we got a hefty selling fee from Paris SG for him.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
What a player :drool:
I honestly can't remember anything from him. Like I don't think I could name a single game he played in where he made a contribution over the 90 minutes, good or even bad. He must be the most forgettable player to ever make that many appearances for us.

At least there are loads of examples of games where Sanchez and Mkhi were fecking awful for us, I can't even name those with Darmian, even though they obviously exist.

stepic

Poll results are accurate. It’s Sanchez and it’s not even close.

Paul_Scholes18

"Free"

In his 18 months here he cost us around £39m in wages - yes there are some other factors, such as losing Mhiki's wages, but I'm not taking into account Sanchez's sign-on fee which would have been substantial (reportedly £29m) - so we're talking nearly £70m.

If reports are correct we're still paying him £300k per week to sit around in Milan.

As far as expectations v reality goes, I'd say only Di Maria comes close for such a let down, but at least we got a hefty selling fee from Paris SG for him.
Didn't know he had that massive sign on fee too. Also it is crazy if we are still paying him half his wages or more.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Actually went for Falcao.

Sanchez was a good signing at the time, that worked out horribly. When we signed him nobody was complaining though.

Falcao for me was representative of everything that was wrong with our transfer policy. Signing galactico big name players without any sort of clue.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
I posted this in another thread, but it is so utterly shocking that I just needed to post it here as well. Posters repeat themselves in any case every few minutes.

£686.7m has been spent on transfers over the last seven years.

Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Shaw, Rojo, Di Maria, Blind, Falcao, Valdes, Depay, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Romero, Martial, Bailly, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Lindelof, Lukaku, Matic, Sanchez, Dalot, Fred and Grant.

That's heading towards the billion £ mark. Sheesh. C'mon. That is ridiculous. The weird thing is almost every signing had us cheering. Crazy. Insane. Incompetent.

Paul_Scholes18

Actually went for Falcao.

Sanchez was a good signing at the time, that worked out horribly. When we signed him nobody was complaining though.

Falcao for me was representative of everything that was wrong with our transfer policy. Signing galactico big name players without any sort of clue.
Agree it was a very silly move. Pure desperation and he had just returned from a serious injury which suggested it could take time for him to find top form.
Sanchez was silly too given how poor he had been for Arsenal that season.

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT
Oh come on, on hind sight they look horrible but during those moments we were all creaming with the names like sanzhez adm mikhi falcao depay bastian morgan. Very few unknowns let us Down like bebe. That was poor decision from everybody involved.

MoskvaRed

It’s a sad reflection on how catastrophic our transfer dealings have been that none of Jones (nearly 20m for a teenager defender in 2011), Mata (club record fee at the time) or Shaw (nearly 30m for a teenage fullback) can even make the list. By the standards of the 90s and OOs, all have been a waste of money. Or, to put it another way, if you were considering the 10 best transfers, you could make a decent case for putting Fellaini in there.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Fellaini, Mata, Herrera, Shaw, Rojo, Di Maria, Blind, Falcao, Valdes, Depay, Darmian, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger, Romero, Martial, Bailly, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan, Pogba, Lindelof, Lukaku, Matic, Sanchez, Dalot, Fred and Grant.
Can you imagine someone telling you in 2012 that your club is going to sign Ibra, Falcao, Schweinsteiger, Sanchez, Mata, Di Maria, Pogba & Valdes! And fail with pretty much every one of them :lol:

Jibbs

The worst signing has to be Sanchez, because at that juncture, United was on the cusp of a turn around. I truly believe, had United signed Perisic or Riyad Mahrez and Maguire when Mourinho wanted them, we would have been in a much stronger position today playing in Champions League and firmly in the top 4.