Manchester United sues Football Manager makers over use of name

United58

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Seems odd given how long those games have been using the name for. Like a story you'd expect from the 1990's.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses
Is it a case of they won't let us use their resources so we will sue them out of spite?

Nico87

If Utd are still on next years edition managing them is definitely going to be the hard mode then.

brian017

ugh.. Trafford United next season? Oh feck off.. why the issue now all of a sudden?

pacifictheme

Bit of an own goal by united here. Wonder if it has anything to do with the pes tie in. Either way disappointed in the club.

David Moyes used to use their scouts at Everton, think that's how he unearthed Coleman and Rodwell among others
Loads of teams use their data. They have more extensive data than just about every club, if not every club in the world. They obviously randomise certain bits in the game for replayability but yeah their actual data is amazing apparently.

MAME DIOUF 32

Loads of teams use their data. They have more extensive data than just about every club, if not every club in the world. They obviously randomise certain bits in the game for replayability but yeah their actual data is amazing apparently.
Stats aren't randomised for replayability - where player and team stats are random it's because there isn't enough data.

I don't know if this is still the case but they used to licence a more in-depth database than the one used in the game to clubs on the side.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Bit of an own goal by united here. Wonder if it has anything to do with the pes tie in. Either way disappointed in the club.

Yeah it's mention in the article that staff members have used their data :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Seems to be less the use of the name, and more the not using the "Proper" club crest.

Why don't they get after those hawkers who stand a few metres from the ground at games, peddling those crap scarfs with even sillier versions of the logo?
Surely the club own that land, and could stop them?

But anyway, I hate it when clubs do this sort of thing.
Who can forget when Liverpool tried to trademark Liverpool! As in the name of a city. Dreadful.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
It'll get thrown out, so nothing to see here in all reality. And it is absolutely petty as feck

FM would have to get some sort of permissions to use player names and club names through out the game. SI would also have lawyers go over all of these sorts of things to make sure they are covered

If they'd used the Utd badge, player photos, etc that would be a different thing, as it's license related and only EA sports hold that. So if they complain that SI are not using their crest, then SI can just say the license is exclusive to EA.

most premier league clubs also use SI's database for scouting.

pacifictheme

Stats aren't randomised for replayability - where player and team stats are random it's because there isn't enough data.

I don't know if this is still the case but they used to licence a more in-depth database than the one used in the game to clubs on the side.
I've listened to the creator of the game who has said that they do change stats and have some randomise (I would assume potential in some cases) for repayability.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I've listened to the creator of the game who has said that they do change stats and have some randomise (I would assume potential in some cases) for repayability.
Stats stay the same for the most part.
It's mostly youngsters who get a potential ability score of -8, -9 etc, which can equate to stuff like a PA of a figure between certain numbers

Nick7

It'll get thrown out, so nothing to see here in all reality. And it is absolutely petty as feck

FM would have to get some sort of permissions to use player names and club names through out the game. SI would also have lawyers go over all of these sorts of things to make sure they are covered

If they'd used the Utd badge, player photos, etc that would be a different thing, as it's license related and only EA sports hold that. So if they complain that SI are not using their crest, then SI can just say the license is exclusive to EA.

I don’t think it will be thrown out per se. I think it’ll just end up with us being called Man Red in the next game and everyone will move on.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

I'm pretty sure United have a deal with Konami.

It's the reason Old Trafford is in the game in PES 2020. It was missing in PES 2019.

MAME DIOUF 32

Half-true tbf. Potential is randomised within parameters (ie, someone like Greenwood will be set so his potential ranges between becoming a solid PL player and an all-time great, he's not going to be crap whatever) but again that's about the unpredictability of prospects more than replayability.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I'm pretty sure United have a deal with Konami.

It's the reason Old Trafford is in the game in PES 2020. It was missing in PES 2019.
Yeh they will have an exclusive license deal with Konami and the league has license deal with Ea sports. But SI would have to have been given permission to use real club and player names.

I may be wrong but i think Juventus did similar, they have exclusive license with Konami, and refused the use of their name with ea and si

RedDevil@84

I may be wrong but i think Juventus did similar, they have exclusive license with Konami, and refused the use of their name with ea and si
Is that when the game makers come up with names like "Bane Mooney" and "Messy Ding-hard"

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
£3.3m financial loss in the last quarter... I wonder where we could make that back without a ball needing to be kicked? #gogettemeddie

RedDevil@84

Look at us guys. Not standing with our team when in need.
If it were Scousers, they would have went and shat in the Sega purse..err... twitter already :D :D

GeorgieBoy

ugh.. Trafford United next season? Oh feck off.. why the issue now all of a sudden?
No dramas. Just get the editor and change the name.
I do it every season and make OT 200,000 capacity and give Manchester a Mediterranean climate.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Isn’t part of Uniteds issue that they aren’t doing enough to stop people making face packs/kits/badges etc available for use through mods and stuff too? That could end up starting a very uncomfortable line as most video games are improved with mods and external improvements like that.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Isn’t part of Uniteds issue that they aren’t doing enough to stop people making face packs/kits/badges etc available for use through mods and stuff too? That could end up starting a very uncomfortable line as most video games are improved with mods and external improvements like that.
A video game developer and publisher reserves the right to do whatever they wish with their game, including mod support.

What the community do with that mod support is not up to the developer and publisher.

It's ridiculous that United have gone after FM this way.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Yeah, would be interesting if it became a legal issue like the Napster case back in the day whereby the software itself doesn’t infringe the rights but it is taken down for facilitating infringement.

lilcurt

We really are such a scummy club now. This is pathetic and just trying to grab every penny going. FM won't exist if they suddenly have to liscnse every club. The loser in this is the consumer once again.

But only that, but if this sticks FIFA will literally be the only football game on the market... They get worse each year!

Hoof the ball

Can someone explain to me how an independent game maker is obligated to use official logos in their game? Is it because official player names are used, thus constituting association with a fake logo and club name?