Manchester United sues Football Manager makers over use of name

tenpoless

It's just Ed looking for money to buy Sancho. There's no way that this is not related to it.
Shrewd business man that guy, until He buys Grealish for 80m instead.

Web of Bissaka

Disappointing, but this is a common practice I suppose with all this licensing thing.

Wouldn't it be best if they partner up or something but then there's the "monopoly" of license and "payment" thing so meh whatever.

Greedy feckers. I hope they lose. I hate it when corporate nonsense spills over to make something worse for everybody.

Web of Bissaka

Will our players names get affected?

Anyway, if I'm not wrong, there should be free and quick simple edits of names and licensing right? Just like how PES is being fans-patched every year.

Easy.

Coxy

Will our players names get affected?

Anyway, if I'm not wrong, there should be free and quick simple edits of names and licensing right? Just like how PES is being fans-patched every year.

Easy.
Nope - one possibility is there will be no logos, face packs etc allowed anymore. No edits of player names etc

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We do. For 18 years it's not been an issue. Sign a deal with Konami and now it is.
That's what happens when you sign a sponsorship deal. We aren't going to tell Konami to feck off if they raised the issue.

90 + 5min

Own goal from us. Nothing more. I understand that we are a company but this is just one big own goal in the 90minute.

And we were talking about PR disaster at Liverpool / Tottenham week or two ago.

MrPooni

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
We are suing a video game developer, it's silly but it's a few levels down from what Spurs and Liverpool did. They were trying to get the tax payer to pay for their staff because they're too stingy to pay them themselves. The worst that will happen is that Manchester United don't appear in Football Manager 2021.

fps

As others have said, Konami are paying for exclusivity, so here we are.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I don't see an issue with it. They're trying to use the brand without paying for it.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I always assumed they must've had some basic licence to use the names of teams for each of the leagues included in the game. If they don't, is this going to have a ripple effect of other teams following suit? Or is this purely down to Konami's rights?

Whether they're in the right to do this or not, the resulting PR is not good.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I always assumed they must've had some basic licence to use the names of teams for each of the leagues included in the game. If they don't, is this going to have a ripple effect of other teams following suit? Or is this purely down to Konami's rights?

Whether they're in the right to do this or not, the resulting PR is not good.
You can kinda see a point to this. Why does Konami have to pay if Football Manager does not?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We don't have the full picture.
We actually clearly do.

Konami have bought our image rights for football games. They arent supposed to use our club name/badge/stadium etc.

They changed our kit and badge but still use Manchester United where as Juventus they use Zebre.

While it sucks that United would be different on the game, a 2 minute edit gets it back to normal.

Sega/SI will lose this instantly in court so they'll edit it ASAP I assume.

You can kinda see a point to this. Why does Konami have to pay if Football Manager does not?
Its not that Konami HAS to pay, it's that United have sold their rights to them. FM does not own them or have permission.

cyberman

Own goal from us. Nothing more. I understand that we are a company but this is just one big own goal in the 90minute.

And we were talking about PR disaster at Liverpool / Tottenham week or two ago.
How? Companies have to protect their image or other companies can use FM as precedence

Acole9

Outstanding
It has to be to do with the licensing for PES I would imagine. Very strange to take legal action after all this time.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Konami (and EA) also gets the branding, the likeness to Old Trafford, the kits, the player faces. FM doesn't. From the reports, the club's issue appears to be that they've used the name without the branding as a way of circumventing the need to acquire licensing.

I'm dubious that Football/Championship Manager (and various other manager sims) has been using club names for 30 years in a way that infringes the law, as it surely would have been actioned by now, no? The recent PES deal isn't the first time the club has licensed its IP to video games. There has been loads of United branded video games, particularly in the 90s. Why now?

If United demand that FM don't use the name anymore, it would probably be more damaging to the brand if all 19 PL teams are named correctly except for "Man Red".

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Konami (and EA) also gets the branding, the likeness to Old Trafford, the kits, the player faces. FM doesn't. From the reports, the club's issue appears to be that they've used the name without the branding as a way of circumventing the need to acquire licensing.

I'm dubious that Football/Championship Manager (and various other manager sims) has been using club names for 30 years in a way that infringes the law, as it surely would have been actioned by now, no? The recent PES deal isn't the first time the club has licensed its IP to video games. There has been loads of United branded video games, particularly in the 90s. Why now?

If United demand that FM don't use the name anymore, it would probably be more damaging to the brand if all 19 PL teams are named correctly except for "Man Red".
You don't get the player faces and kits on Football Manager (not played one for years)?

Aretak

You don't get the player faces and kits on Football Manager (not played one for years)?
Only for teams and leagues that they've licensed. Fans always then create huge packs every year to add just about every player picture, kit and club badge in the world into the game.

This whole thing isn't without precedent. SI have already had to remove teams in the past because of legal action, and not just that, but legal action taken by Konami, so it's perhaps unsurprising that this is happening after the club signed an agreement with them. The entire Japanese league structure was ripped out years and years ago because Konami threatened to sue, since they have an exclusive license to make games based on it, though again, fans have added it back in for most editions. The same goes for the German and Japanese national teams, though those can be restored simply by deleting some files in the game directory.

90 + 5min

How? Companies have to protect their image or other companies can use FM as precedence
It will hurt our brand more than it helps. Thats what I think. Young generation of supporters playing that game will be pushed from us if they are undiceded wich team they will follow. Just think of some italian boy/girl starting to be intressted in football and playing FM games. They need to choose between Zebra or lets say Roma. It is not even a choice.

I understand about image rights and so but to sue other companies instead of dealing with this behind closed doors is not good. For anyone.

macheda14

It will hurt our brand more than it helps. Thats what I think. Young generation of supporters playing that game will be pushed from us if they are undiceded wich team they will follow. Just think of some italian boy/girl starting to be intressted in football and playing FM games. They need to choose between Zebra or lets say Roma. It is not even a choice.

I understand about image rights and so but to sue other companies instead of dealing with this behind closed doors is not good. For anyone.
I think the amount of people who base their fandom on who they play as in FM is negligible

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Redcafe has also received a pathetically stern letter from Ma*******r Utd

From this point we are no longer allowed to refer to the club name, current players or staff names without getting approval from those people at that club.

further we have been informed that we must take down old posts unless it refers to old players or we will be summoned to court.

this is no longer my club. I’m done!:mad::mad::mad::nono::mad:

Last edited:

Maticmaker

How much money does Sega and SI have? Is it worth pursuing them, clearly Ed thinks it is?

Lots of companies from the high ups to those that sell copied scarf's and other United memorabilia outside OT regularly use, or sometimes even abuse, the name of the club. Its only worth the club making a fuss when there is some hope of recompense, mainly in terms of coining it in.

This looks like it might be one of those occasions, especially given the hit taken through Covid-19.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

From this point we are no longer allowed to refer to the club name, current players or staff names without getting approval from those people at that club.

further we have been informed that we must take down old posts unless it refers to old players or we will be summoned to court.

Wooly out!

crossy1686

career ending
Hope we lose the case. This is stupid and is the reason why video games are getting ruined by all these licensing shit.
Video games are ruined by loot boxes. Not licensing. No one would bat an eyelid if FM paid for this license and used United in their game extensively.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Those of you getting your knickers in a right twist about this need to be aware of a few things about FM 2020.

- Juventus are called Zebre.
- The Japan national team doesn't exist. In previous renditions of the game the German and Dutch national team haven't either.
- Bayern have a manager with a fake name.
- None of the German teams have had correct names for years, and I mean years. They use their nicknames.
- None of the Brazilian teams have correct names.
- None of the leagues and cups are named correctly either.

United aren't obviously the only club, or league, to take issue with FM using their name without permission, they just the biggest and most news worthy club to do so. The outrage is comical.
As far as I know, FM have a deal with the premier League which presumably the feel includes the right to use the Manchester United name

crossy1686

career ending
As far as I know, FM have a deal with the premier League which presumably the feel includes the right to use the Manchester United name
How can that be when they league is called the ‘EFL’? I thought clubs sort their own sponsorships out anyway? There’s probably some that are happy to be grouped under the PL license but it’s clear that United would never agree to that.

Web of Bissaka

Man Red it is.

Eddy Woolward

Manager -- Old Gunner Solksyaer
Players -- Rashpord, Pugbaa, Lingod, Wall, Show, De God, C.S. Serge, etc

Not a problem. Hmmph take that!