Manchester United sues Football Manager makers over use of name

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Reading this thread has made me realise that there’s a whole bunch of people who care more about Football Manager than they do United.
I deffo care more about FM than Uniteds perceived sense of self importance

RUCK4444

Bit pathetic
Like the game in many ways.

United are always very protective of the brand and rightly so, it’s a hallmark, you can’t let the image of your club or company for that matter be plastered on whatever tat people come up with.

I can’t believe it’s been on there for so long.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Redcafe has also received a pathetically stern letter from Ma*******r Utd

From this point we are no longer allowed to refer to the club name, current players or staff names without getting approval from those people at that club.

further we have been informed that we must take down old posts unless it refers to old players or we will be summoned to court.

this is no longer my club. I’m done!:mad::mad::mad::nono::mad:
Is Man Red trade marked by Pro Evo? :lol:

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.

From this point we are no longer allowed to refer to the club name, current players or staff names without getting approval from those people at that club.

further we have been informed that we must take down old posts unless it refers to old players or we will be summoned to court.

For real?

RUCK4444

This real?

United58

Good decision IMO. F*CK M*N R*D :mad:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Own goal from us. Nothing more. I understand that we are a company but this is just one big own goal in the 90minute.

And we were talking about PR disaster at Liverpool / Tottenham week or two ago.
it's a fecking game. thinking this is anywhere close to putting stuff on furlough is hilarious

Gasolin

Hope we lose the case. This is stupid and is the reason why video games are getting ruined by all these licensing shit.
If we lose the case, we lose the Konami deal too, nobody is going to sign with any club then within the video games industry. And no way we lose, if they say Juventus is now called Zebre, it's pretty clear the clubs won't lose, I think.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Redcafe -

Liverpool - Apply to have tax payers foot the bill for their employees while generating record profits - Their owners are scum and should be ashamed of themselves - Major PR disaster.

Man United - file court documents preventing an organization from illegally using their name to profit from - Our owners are scum and pathetic and this is a major PR disaster. feck woody and the Glazers...

Sorry, but who gives a feck about our Owners protecting the value of their investment?

tenpoless

Redcafe -

Liverpool - Apply to have tax payers foot the bill for their employees while generating record profits - Their owners are scum and should be ashamed of themselves - Major PR disaster.

Man United - file court documents preventing an organization from illegally using their name to profit from - Our owners are scum and pathetic and this is a major PR disaster. feck woody and the Glazers...

Sorry, but who gives a feck about our Owners protecting the value of their investment?
This. I don't see similarity between the two.
One is about owners being dickheads at inappropriate times.
One is about owners taking legal action to protect their brand from being illegally used to make the already filthy rich Miles Jacobson even more rich.

MattofManchester

It's kinda a stupid to go after SI for something like this, actually. Really, its a game that actually provides a bit of fun for fans, and is not in the same sphere as Fifa or PES. It's rather niche.

On the other hand, this is probably money hungry Konami(well known for their crap, overpriced and rubbish renditions of multiple games) trying to capture the market and United, like Juve, abiding by it.

Come, 2050, don't say "Hello", because you'd best be sure it's been copyrighted. Also, don't walk cause that's copyright infringement too.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Redcafe -

Apparently lots of people.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Redcafe -

Exactly, this is miniscule.

Web of Bissaka

So did the club actually sue and get money out of this? Did FM pay yet?

That wouldn't be classy, nor a good PR move. FM fans are a lot and the club have been ignoring FM using it for far too long.

I think the club should just simply tell FM to remove using their names and to not use it anymore from now on. Done. Stop. No more. Disappointing if the club insist on payments or more bad move like insisting on FM to be taken down at steam or something.

Surely fans can be sensible and think about it. If you pay to use certain trademarks, then why should you let others to use it without pay. It's just business. Why should others profits freely while you pay to get certain rights. This is market competition.

Plus, just like PES, surely FM fans and developers know that their community of fans have been preparing the yearly "Real Names licensing fix" thing. It's a simple quick process. No problem at all.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
So did the club actually sue and get money out of this? Did FM pay yet?

That wouldn't be classy, nor a good PR move. FM fans are a lot and the club have been ignoring FM using it for far too long.

I think the club should just simply tell FM to remove using their names and to not use it anymore from now on. Done. Stop. No more. Disappointing if the club insist on payments or more bad move like insisting on FM to be taken down at steam or something.

Surely fans can be sensible and think about it. If you pay to use certain trademarks, then why should you let others to use it without pay. It's just business. Why should others profits freely while you pay to get certain rights. This is market competition.

Plus, just like PES, surely FM fans and developers know that their community of fans have been preparing the yearly "Real Names licensing fix" thing. It's a simple quick process. No problem at all.
Maybe my friend @mariachi-19 can confirm. The bolded bit is the first step in any legal action, it's called a cease and desist letter. The club will have sent FM a letter saying stop using our logo and likeness without authorization or we'll sue you.

The next step, after the party at fault ignores the cease and desist letter, is a lawsuit.

FujiVice

Absolute waste of time. They've just moved a few letters around. Man UFC.

Chairman Steve

I haven’t played FM in a decade but I imagine you can change the name in the Editor anyway and people will third party mod it?

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Absolute waste of time. They've just moved a few letters around. Man UFC.
Manchester UFC. I like the sound of that. Haymakers & roundhouse kicks to the head of every ref.

In all seriousness though, football manager has a free editor that allows users to edit whatever they want. There’s also a gazillion mods. This won’t really effect anything. Juventus did something similar last year.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Yep, and load up editor and rename them correctly. Konami did similar with pes21, instead of Tottenham Hotspur, they just used Tottenham. Because Tottenham is a place name, cant sue them for that. Did it with some other EPL sides, too. But you just edit it and hey presto

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

That can’t be serious, right??

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
If I was in charge of Football Manager, my colleagues would have to stop me from re-naming them "Dickchester United" or something equally dumb as retaliation. Or hide something in the code so that "Manchester UFC" never win anything in game.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
If I was in charge of Football Manager, my colleagues would have to stop me from re-naming them "Dickchester United" or something equally dumb as retaliation. Or hide something in the code so that "Manchester UFC" never win anything in game.
Give all the United players 20 aggression, every game ends with United having to forfeit due to lack of players

Dan-Utd

I wonder if this would have happened if Football Manager was a free game or even just a bit cheaper, there are many people out there who can't afford to buy the latest version.