Manchester United to get documentary series? | No actual reports on that

SuperiorXI

The locker room insight is one of the most interesting parts, they should film all of them and release them after a couple of years or so for fan viewing. Probably some classic moments being missed.

rotherham_red

I think you've read it wrong. The tweet seems to rule the prospect of a series out totally.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
No way Ed would have his incompetence turned into a real life version of the office.

matsdf

Absolutely agree with the boss. Was nice to see Sunderland and Spurs do it, but I don't want us to let everyone in. Should be some kind of mysticism.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think you've read it wrong. The tweet seems to rule the prospect of a series out totally.
Yeah, this. We [the Club] clearly don’t want one.

Little fly on the wall excerpts you see are great, but the Spurs one is pretty boring with some scripted Jose-isms chucked in.

AaronRedDevil

If theres a camera in the Locker room, the manager and players will be careful what to say and do. It'll kill the free to speak or the manger cant say what he wants. And the press will use that to start shit. It would definitely kill the rule sir Alex also had. Locker room talk doesn't leave the room.

jackal&hyde

Don't want. It's something clubs that are looking to increase their status are doing, make people talk kind of thing. We are above that crap.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Financial side of things is probably appealing to the club, especially with the reduced revenue due to no matchday income, but it isn't something Ole would agree to (particularly the locker room stuff) and football-wise, two out of the three documentaries I can think of ended up with a disaster of a season for the club involved.

littlepeasoup

Documentaries like the Spurs one, and the City one are always going to be sanitised to f*ck just by the very nature of them being at an elite club that still has lots of the current staff, players and systems. No chance you'll ever get to see the properly good stuff.

You get the rare aberration like the Sunderland series which was brilliant because they were so poorly run and absolutely a case of them needing the exposure more than the other clubs I've mentioned.

Would I love to be a fly on the wall with unfiltered access to the United dressing room, absolutely! Will it ever happen? Absolutely not.

padzilla

Hipster
It could be one of those documentaries about asset stripping vulture capitalists.

Raw

It'd be very interesting to see, but I agree with the others above. Having cameras pointed at the team and staff is going to affect how everyone acts.

If there is a slightest bit of chance that it'll negatively affect our performances, then it's not worth doing.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
As Laurie Whitwell said in that tweet and in his article today - the club does not have a good relationship with Amazon (having refused to let them film for both City & Spurs' series)

And he also said even if they club did want do a fly-on-the-wall show, they would produce it themselves with MUTV.

Besides, we already had behind the scenes show:

youngrell

A Sunderland-style one wouldn't be too bad where it focussed more on the running of the club and the fans. There was very little focus on the players and zero footage of the changing room.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
Swear these documentaries are watched mainly by rival fans wanting to revel in a club's failings and defeats. That or they're a dull as ditchwater PR operation.

Only one worth watching is Sunderland Til I Die, the rest are gash bar the times things go tits up for the club in question.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
A Sunderland-style one wouldn't be too bad where it focussed more on the running of the club and the fans. There was very little focus on the players and zero footage of the changing room.
Half the reason - if not the whole reason - the Sunderland one is so good is because everything goes horribly wrong.

If they had had a normal season, or even got promoted, I don't think it would have been half as entertaining.

Chief123

City did their documentary to raise their profile and try and get more fans.

Spurs did it to change everyone’s perception of them being a boring club and stingy. Not sure it worked though.

Red00012

Misleading thread title

There is nothing to suggest there will be one.

Pav1878

Seems the sort of thing smaller clubs do, yes city included.

Why do we need to follow suit? What do we gain by letting cameras in? I believe in the locker room being sacred too.

Let's concentrate on getting back to the top before we piss about with crap like this

lsd

The Oracle
It's not going to happen . You have to assume that the first club asked by Amazon was United and they clearly have no interest in being in such a show and rightly so as they are all fake anyway.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Amazon are not the only ones who make behind the scenes series and it's entirely possible that the club could have agreed a deal with Netflix or another broadcaster. The club will always seek to outdo every club in the world when it's come to agreeing a deal in which the biggest football team in the world is filmed.

peridigm

Swear these documentaries are watched mainly by rival fans wanting to revel in a club's failings and defeats. That or they're a dull as ditchwater PR operation.

Only one worth watching is Sunderland Til I Die, the rest are gash bar the times things go tits up for the club in question.
The Salford series is pretty good. Interesting to see a lower league club transformed by the Class of 92.

Tiber

What do we think?
I think I hate those clickbait Twitter accounts when they are used instead of the real source

As to whether we might see the cameras invited into Carrington, I think you’ll be waiting a long time. The Amazon crew were not allowed into Old Trafford for the Spurs game in December and there is no desire by United to change that outlook for their own series, however handsomely Spurs were paid. Solskjaer regards the dressing room as sacrosanct and it is just not something he would entertain. And in any case, United would probably want to use their own TV channel

https://theathletic.com/2052397/202...on-at-old-trafford?source=user-shared-article

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Please don't do desperate shit like that. I'm happy with some locker room celebrations released on the club youtube channel after a cup win or something but leave all the cringeworthy shit to camera whores like Brentan and Jose.

Reynoldo

Yeah dont want as the whole world will be looking to find fault with us as usual. (Personally though I'd love to see it so they should record the dressing room, seal the videos up in a vault then release it after like 30 years so we can all see what really happened :lol:)

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
The locker room insight is one of the most interesting parts, they should film all of them and release them after a couple of years or so for fan viewing. Probably some classic moments being missed.
Have you watched the Anelka doc - specifically the bit about him and domenech having the spat?

As much as I would like to see what goes on I think they should remain off limits to cameras

Smores

Agree with others it's not a good idea at all. A manager needs to be free to go off at their players in the dressing room and you can't do that if it's going to be seen by the world.

el3mel

I would like to see the dressing room speech during halftime of a match we are losing, but I don't think it will end up happening.

clarkydaz

We've seen Giggs give the team a speech as Manchester United manager, some things are better left unseen

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
What a weird thread, considering the tweet in the OP.

el3mel

We've seen Giggs give the team a speech as Manchester United manager, some things are better left unseen
This was a useless match.

I'm just really interested in knowing what managers do and how they give instructions and try to change things through the half time speech when the team is losing, especially in a match we managed to make a comeback in second half, for example. Out of curiosity.