Manchester United to resume search for technical director

Cloud7

I’m not one to usually say this, but FFS this has to be a joke. I was all for the careful and measured approach to finding someone after Jose was sacked, but then we go the entire summer without getting someone in, and now as soon as the transfer window closes these stories come out again. It’s an absolute joke.

The guy who took over from Gazidis shows what a good transfer window you can have without spending world record fees on every player.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I’m not one to usually say this, but FFS this has to be a joke. I was all for the careful and measured approach to finding someone after Jose was sacked, but then we go the entire summer without getting someone in, and now as soon as the transfer window closes these stories come out again. It’s an absolute joke.

The guy who took over from Gazidis shows what a good transfer window you can have without spending world record fees on every player.
its becoming evident that we bring out this story whenever the club messes out. There's no real taste for the top dogs to have control over things challenged. When the budget has ended, Woodward just love to go for 2-3 unrealistic targets only to say that it isn't the club's fault if these players didn't want to come, their club refuse to sell. That won't happen if a decent DOF is signed.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I don't know a worse ran big club than us, it's beyond a joke. While Woodward takes most the blame, at the core of it the Glazers are at fault. Nothing will change unless they go and they won't be leaving any time soon.

wolvored

All we can hope for this is genuine done within a month 6 weekd tops and it doesn't drag on overshadowing the season. Surely if they are going to get someone in they have some people in mind to choose from by now

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Utter contempt for the fans.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
ffs club is really taking the piss. The sooner Ed leaves the better.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
That’s just insulting. :lol:

Reminds me of the days that Arsenal would point to renewing the contract of some no-name squaddie the day after a shit transfer window.

FireballXL5

You couldn't make this shit up. This is Trumpian level don't-give-a feckery.

Sylar

Even if they do, bet the role is nothing to do with what is actually needed.

tombombadil

I'm not usually this pessimistic, but in this case, I cannot help but be.

I'm not surprised and this is just par for the course for Man United now with Woodward in charge.

Woodward is good with the commercial side. He is also a good politician and knows how to play politics internally and externally. This news article is one of them.

But he can't manage the football side of things because football is not something you can mathematically measure 100% and he has zero feel for the game due to zero experience of the game.

His idea of mitigating his inexperience by having a huge committee for transfers/team management with entirely different people with different philosophies from 3/4 different managers is just going to result in a mish mash of compromises, unfulfilled potential and wasted money.

Unless he lucks himself into getting a set of committee members who not only all have good scouting insight and great footballing network, but also all share the same ideals, things aren't going to change.

His refusal to delegate the football side of things to 1 or 2 persons will cost us.

Just like how he cost us last season by refusing to get Mourinho what he wanted. Only to be getting those players now. When we have no champions league.

Or how he got a record fee striker but refused to pay for a proper winger to feed that striker the season before that. Instead, in mid season we got a forward who prefers to score goals rather than cross them for strikers. And now we are offloading the striker at a loss and can't offload the forward cause he is too old, has too high wages and had another bad season.

A mish mash of compromises, unfulfilled potential and wasted money.

It's sad because I think the team and Ole have a lot of potential and I fear it will get wasted.

UnitedObsession99

Shameless...

Utterly shameless.

"Now that Christmas is over... we shall begin our search for a Father Christmas impersonator".
In all reality, it does make sense. No point recruiting from April to August (end window) as too little time to understand workings of squad and start planning scouting networks etc. Recruiting now gives us a chance to influence Jan, but more essentially next summer.

But yes either way a year behind schedule...and some given SAF recommended a DOF.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The search & recruitment do need to begin ASAP, so it does make sense to get that process started.
However, what responsibility and power will the new DoF have?
I'd heard somewhere that he won't be directly involved in transfer negotiation.

The role on offer is very vague.

CM10

Why was it put on hold to begin with? We apparently began looking in January and absolutely no progress was made between then and the end of the season.

Eric's Seagull

I was initially excited when we first said that we were getting a DoF, I thought that Woody would finally relinquish some of his duties on the football side and stick to the commercial side. I thought the DoF/technical director being brought in by Woody was going to be a turning point, where Woody was going to reluctantly admit that he needed to bring someone in to help him out on the football side but it was a false hope.

Maybe he realises that he could have done a lot better this window and he is finally willing to hand over a bit of power to someone with some football knowledge. I think that would be too much to hope for, I think he has brought this crap out again to deflect the fans minds away from the sh!te window we have just had to give us false hope that we will not have to put up with another window than like this.

But I think he is full of crap again and next year we could be in for a similar window again and he'll still be making crappy excuses about getting the DoF and these things take time etc.

Woody has really got my hopes up too many times and now my opinion him has dropped so much I don't believe any of the crap he says anymore. I really hope that I am wrong and Woody has learnt from his mistakes this time and that he surprises me, although I seriously doubt it.

Last edited:

Dan_F

Such a strange time to bother putting this out. It’s never going to appease fans and it’s just making them look even more incompetent.

Yakuza_devils

What director of football?
Many fans are happy with this transfer window and generally happy with Ed and the club spending under Ed.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
"shit, the fans are complaining that we're inept in the transfer window! I know, let's say we're hiring a DoF again.. after the window shuts. Oh Ed, you so smart."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49282584

The first PR damage limitation strategy has just come out.
No offer has been made and it is thought the role would not involve negotiating with or signing transfer targets.
So Woody will still negotiate the transfers. Essentially this would just feck things up even more as now Ole would be out of the loop so that Woodward and the Yes Man can feck things up even more.

Roboc7

Can only laugh at this now, even if they do ever appoint someone it will be a token gesture and role will have no real power.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
So Woody will still negotiate the transfers. Essentially this would just feck things up even more as now Ole would be out of the loop so that Woodward and the Yes Man can feck things up even more.
I don't think ole would be out of the loop completely. Also why I am no big fan of Woodward I cannot see the wisdom behind giving so much power to a guy who wouldn't consider talent outside the local pool either. I mean was it really wise spending 80m on the new Steve Brucey considering that we were working on a limited budget? I don't think maguire is worth starting the season with a shit midfield and no RW

If you're struggling to put food on the table then you simply don't spend all the dosh on a ferrari especially if it's more of a very expensive pickup truck rather then a magnificent engine

Last edited:

RedDevilRoshi

Not buying that s*** again. It is just a pile of utter garbage. Ed knows he’s going to be getting ripped apart for not improving the midfield and failing to shift the deadwood. Therefore why not release this story again to ease the pressure on him and divert the attention away.

The guy is a disease.

red4ever 79

What a load of c*ap perfectly timed the day after the window closes. Club is rinsing the fans and the fans are falling for it. If you have a ticket to the game on Sunday, dont go. Empty seats will paint a beautiful picture and will be picked up by every news outlet globally. Only way to get ED out is not to attend matches.

Danish Wizard

Clearly a briefing by Woody.
Can't believe it untill I see it. And again, will a new technical director just be Woodys puppet?