Manchester United v Brentford | Pre-season Friendly Wednesday July 28 20:00 BST

Mickson

Said this for a while. People moaning about squad depth and improving the squad is madness. We need to improe the first eleven, outside of that if we signed four for example, there are a good 7-8 squad players and 3/4 very good younger players coming through which is plenty for this seaon.......but as you mention that still leaves a good 15-16 surplus players potentially.

For me that includes big exits such as Pogba, players stealing a livign here such as Pereira and JOnes who have don enothing for four years or so, players who are the wrong age and we shouldnt be keeping for potential "coaching roles" by giving them new contracts as players like Grant and Mata, dead wood liek Lingard and James and then a few youngsters I wont name as its unfair but will never maker it here for me.....thats a big list of potential exits....many of which have been ignored for far too long.

Talk of £100m + transfers out as a kitty....well for me there is up to £200m worth of players to sell in our squad
Yes, I also said it in another thread. Apparently, some don't count for suspicious reasons according to caf. Our squad is ridiculously big, we could just sell 5-6 and you wouldn't notice.

roseguy64

Can we just stop for a moment and appreciate how much more influential Greenwood is in general play? Remember the season before last when he scored a tonne of goals, but still struggled to get into games in general? He's a different player now. Decision making is much better; playing back to goal is much improved. General dribbling infield so much more penetrative.
Agreed. I'm not even minding that he's not had lots of shots so far these games. His general overall play has improved leaps and bounds. Learning how to play on the wing has forced him to sharpen up things apart from his finishing.

roseguy64

He absolutely will be. He will be one of the only attackers we have that will have played a full pre season. He has played pretty well today anyway so not sure what you mean.
It's probably because Greenwood hasn't banged in 10 goals yet in these 3 matches.

justsomebloke

Agreed. I'm not even minding that he's not had lots of shots so far these games. His general overall play has improved leaps and bounds. Learning how to play on the wing has forced him to sharpen up things apart from his finishing.
I thought it was really interesting to watch Greenwood today. A lot of the time he seemed to play more or less as a no 10 - moving in the central channel, getting into good positions, using his speed to challenge the defence when he got the ball and then mostly finding teammates on the flanks for some good opportunities.

AndyMUFC

Entertaining pre-season game with some great goals and we played some decent stuff while losing concentration at the back a few times. It is annoying that there are so many players still missing after the Euros however.

Pereira's goal though...

giggs-beckham

Clueless

Can't decide which one is better.
I think it's Andreas because it's the glancing side instep of the boot contact with slight curl rather than straight lace boot from (my hero)

It was like a curling free kick in the top corner, but from a volley! Shame it was from a player that isn't good enough to be fair but hey.

Last edited:

HerbT

Supports
man city fc
I follow some twitter account called Football Talent Scout or something and the year we signed him they ranked the best U-21 players in each position, and Dalot was their number 1 rated right-back.
Uhuh, I’m with you.
Why have one of those expensive scouting departments carry out your due diligence when you can follow some click bait nob end on twitter?
It’s the future I guess.

acnumber9

I'm really not. These are all first team players or very close to the first team.
Fine, take out Levitt Mengi Mejbri and Shoretire. You are left with 34 clear cut experienced first team players. We can field 3 different teams without using the academy kids. Am I still exaggerating?
But leave in Chong who is on loan at Birmingham?

MrBest

Trying desperately to impress which shows he needs another loan. He isn't ready for the first team.
Agreed, he played 20 misn today, is still a boy and will play a role we need a man to play. One more year at a relegation prem side or a good championship side would be amazing for him. People writing him off are deluded, jury is still out but its clear he has a special level of football intelligence.

MrBest

That was pretty much brentfords starting xi. We looked good the majority of the match. Fitness levels getting there. Awb got 90 mins which is great for him
So glad you made that point, Brentford first team, probably 2 or 3 first team players for us. They were also a lot fitter than us.

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
That was pretty much brentfords starting xi. We looked good the majority of the match. Fitness levels getting there. Awb got 90 mins which is great for him
Not really from the team that started the game -

Based on last season first choice players:

Raya
Pinnock
Janelt
Toney
Canos

We also had a number of players missing so pretty happy with a 2-2 draw to be honest

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
So glad you made that point, Brentford first team, probably 2 or 3 first team players for us. They were also a lot fitter than us.
PMSL Brentford first team erm ok ;)

It's ok to lack knowledge but to then quote is a fact :nono:

United in sin

Before the goal is there any good reason why Lingard went for the shot??? He cant follow us into the new season.
This sounds like criticism for the sake of it. You're actually criticizing him for utilizing one of his strengths, getting into dangerous pockets of space and creating room to shoot.

The keeper didn't expect it and his save was anything but routine or comfortable. You can't even blame him, Lingard struck the ball well and it was moving away from the keeper. It wasn't a hard shot, but it made the keeper work.

The rebound caused havoc and Pereira was a recipient of Brentford's inability to clear their lines as a result of it. Lingard has literally scored several goals for united from that same position to the point that it's almost a trademark goal for him

Strelok

Entertaining friendly, I'm glad the players looked much more solid than the last match.

Amazing wonder from Pereira, hope he'd find a bid after that.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Not really from the team that started the game -

Based on last season first choice players:

Raya
Pinnock
Janelt
Toney
Canos

We also had a number of players missing so pretty happy with a 2-2 draw to be honest
Thank you, came here to write this!

SirAnderson

GK: De Gea, Heaton, Henderson
RB: AWB, Trippier, Laird, Dalot
CB: Varane, Maguire, Lindelof, Bailly, Mengi, Axel, Jones
LB: Shaw, Telles, Williams
CM: Bruno, Saul, Fred, McTominay, Matic, VDB Garner, Levitt, Pogba, Andreas
RW: Greenwood, Sancho, Amad, Mata, Pellistri, Lingard
LW: Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, James, Chong
ST: Cavani, Martial, Rashford

Green - Starters
Blue - Rotation
Red - Loan
Strike - Gone

Players like Hannibal and Shoretire are tweeners. Too talented to loan out, not quite rotation options. Carabao Cup and Dead Rubber players for this season.

It becomes a much more manageable squad (24 players + tweeners like Hannibal) when you look at it like that. Two things also become apparent:

1. We've got a lot of players to move out in the next few weeks

2. Quality wise, we're definitly lightest in midfield. If we can bring in enough funds through sales, would it be too greedy to hope for two additions there? Looking at our squad, I'd even sell Martial if it meant another midfield signing. Martial leaving would have you very reliant on Cavani staying fit...and also using Rashford/Greenwood up top more often which would open up minutes for Amad and Elanga.
Instantly think you can be an awesome WW player. @12OunceEpilogue check out this color coding, get the man signed up next time. :lol:

As for the actually content, I agree with some, and not with other things.
Don't see Henderson, Pogba or Lingard leaving this summer.
We also brought Sancho in to play on the RW as a starter. Sure for the start of the season with Rashford out he will most likely take up on the left and Greenwood on the right but I fully expect his permanent starting position to be on the right. Fluid, but still.
Good post though :) join Werewolf. :smirk:

foolsgold

Dalot did nothing in this game to convince that he had a future, mugged for the last goal and offered very little. I had high hopes but not sure now.

justsomebloke

Dalot did nothing in this game to convince that he had a future, mugged for the last goal and offered very little. I had high hopes but not sure now.
I thought he was consistently awful. If he ends up being the RB backup, let's hope it was just rust in his first game back.

KennyBurner

This sounds like criticism for the sake of it. You're actually criticizing him for utilizing one of his strengths, getting into dangerous pockets of space and creating room to shoot.

The keeper didn't expect it and his save was anything but routine or comfortable. You can't even blame him, Lingard struck the ball well and it was moving away from the keeper. It wasn't a hard shot, but it made the keeper work.

The rebound caused havoc and Pereira was a recipient of Brentford's inability to clear their lines as a result of it. Lingard has literally scored several goals for united from that same position to the point that it's almost a trademark goal for him
It was a careless shot. He had better options in great positions around him. That has always been his problem as a player. He lacks the creativity to bring others in and always goes for the shot even though he isnt amazing at it. You say that his shooting is his strongest attribute which is why we need to move him on considering his poor goal stats during his time here.

The bolded line is just a poor analysis from you of how its all happened. Your assuming the keeper did not expect the shot which is just a wild assumption. The shot was also not moving away from the keeper like you claim. I blame the keeper for not handling a week shot sent straight at him. A better team than brentford and its just a waste of an attack which is always the case with Lingard involved. Move him on!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
It was a careless shot. He had better options in great positions around him. That has always been his problem as a player. He lacks the creativity to bring others in and always goes for the shot even though he isnt amazing at it. You say that his shooting is his strongest attribute which is why we need to move him on considering his poor goal stats during his time here.

The bolded line is just a poor analysis from you of how its all happened. Your assuming the keeper did not expect the shot which is just a wild assumption. The shot was also not moving away from the keeper like you claim. I blame the keeper for not handling a week shot sent straight at him. A better team than brentford and its just a waste of an attack which is always the case with Lingard involved. Move him on!
Think you are being a tad harsh here, a shot on target with power is always worth it from a relative distance.
Lampard scored a large proportion of his goals like this for example.

You don't shoot, you don't score. Lingard was well within his rights to have a shot there.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Instantly think you can be an awesome WW player. @12OunceEpilogue check out this color coding, get the man signed up next time. :lol:

As for the actually content, I agree with some, and not with other things.
Don't see Henderson, Pogba or Lingard leaving this summer.
We also brought Sancho in to play on the RW as a starter. Sure for the start of the season with Rashford out he will most likely take up on the left and Greenwood on the right but I fully expect his permanent starting position to be on the right. Fluid, but still.
Good post though :) join Werewolf. :smirk:
De Gea and Saul safelisted, Pellistri and Garner evil? :nono:

Too much mental gymnastics for me to handle.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
OK not a big game but that was as good as if not better than Rooney v Newcastle and scholes v villa. Genuinely one of the best volleys I've ever seen.
I think it was better than both of them because it was a slightly more difficult technique. He wasn’t running straight on to the ball like Scholes/Rooney. Definitely one of the best strikes I’ve ever seen.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Seems to me that it doesn't matter which defenders pull on the United shirt... they end up playing like clowns

United in sin

How was it careless when he was in good range to take the shot? Who else was in a better position? Anyone else would've backed themselves to take that shot from that position and space allowed.

I don't think you've really watched Lingard if you see him as this greedy player who always goes for the shot.
Lingard has always been a team player, with link up play, short passing, dribbling, bringing others into the game, getting into dangerous positions and starting counter attacks being some of his biggest strengths, not shooting in isolation as you seem to think I implied.

Last edited:

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
Fair enough, i read on an article was the first team, but what do i know. No disrespect to you or team!
Yeah no worries not expecting many if any on here to be an expert on Brentford's first team :D