Manchester United vs AC Milan Sat 3rd August, 17:36 UK time

mav_9me

What the feck was that? What's the point of Mata/Perreira in this midfield? Just bunch of players thrown together. What's the plan, style of play, what was Ole thinking?

I mean our next game is the start of the season no? Shouldn't we be playing our proper first team with the players who are going to start the next game?

I was already fearing the worst for the season and this just sucked the life out of me.

Møllemanden

Looks a lot like the end of last season. The players are struggling mentally when things aren't really working. Cmon United.

Patrick08

Woodward excels at selling, why would he not sell, mata matic Rojo, peierera, ?

tjb

Missing Pogba, but this game is a real indictment on periera and mata. Martial and Rashford are alone in both attacking and pressing. While Mata and Pereira seem to be doing nothing. Their touch, control and frame just doesnt seem to be in the same level of sharpness as the rest of the team. Its hurting us in terms of keeping possession. Their not even providing good options. I would put lingard in for one of them on the wing. Dybala or Fernandes is a must.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I hope Pogba really is injured. If he were to leave, I think I might have a cry. Last season was an absolute chore.

Untd55

Honestly, I am not convinced by McTominay. Can we really rely on him as our first team midfielder? For me, we need to sign a right-winger, defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder/number 10 if we want to get anywhere this season. We seem to be going after Dybala for number 10, but that won't be enough if we have nobody good enough behind him and nobody on the right.

McTominay should be a bench player at the moment.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
This is the future without pogba. Enjoy lads!

Useless. However, Matic being totally absent is nothing new. We are playing a man down in midfield and it's not like Pereira is doing much to help either.

I hope Ole doesn't field Matic, Mata and Pereira because he thinks they're a good fit. If he does he won't be here long.

Treble

No difference than the end of the season last year. Same players same tactics, same temp, we look fooked.
This. Team looks as if Ole has taken recently: no clear ideas and style, clueless in possession and not much better while pressing. Milan look more comfortable on the ball and in possession. Only a friendly though.

Ace of Spades

Mata and Matic need to feck off. It feels like playing with 9 players with them in there.

Shark

@NotShark
What the feck was that? What's the point of Mata/Perreira in this midfield? Just bunch of players thrown together. What's the plan, style of play, what was Ole thinking?

I mean our next game is the start of the season no? Shouldn't we be playing our proper first team with the players who are going to start the next game?

I was already fearing the worst for the season and this just sucked the life out of me.
Worryingly enough, I think Ole reckons that was a proper team.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Is Matic going to retire end of this season or something?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Bit melodramatic.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Mata and Matic in the same team must not happen in a competitve match. They cant press. At all.
Pretty much. Matic especially is a total liability these days. There's no energy with the 2 of them so just play fecking Gomes instead of Mata.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Presumably Ole's thinking is "Its a pre season friendly, who gives a feck, all about gaining fitness anyway". Yeah some of those are shite but once you take Pogba out, our midfield options aren't even top half of the league level.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Not sure Mata has been any worse than Martial.
A leggy, ponderous performance.
Matic, obviously has been poor.
Nobody really showering themselves in glory out there, I'd be looking to Greenwood, James and Gomes pretty soon.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
This is the first bit of action I've watched live in pre season and it looks same old boring Utd to me.
It is by far the worst we've looked in pre-season.

Few factors: Fielding two slow players centrally, not playing with any proper width. Not having enough dynamism in midfield. Not working hard enough up front (Martial).

I know he's not had a minute of Premier League football, but Daniel James is exemplary in terms of relentlessness. And he's always an option as an outlet up front, making runs. Having him on the pitch I'm sure has forced the others to pull their finger out.

Tony247

Ole should stop playing mata, matic and McT together. Try McT and Fred. They worked well as double pivot against PSG. Had very good understanding.

red4ever 79

It is by far the worst we've looked in pre-season.

Few factors: Fielding two slow players centrally, not playing with any proper width. Not having enough dynamism in midfield. Not working hard enough up front (Martial).

I know he's not had a minute of Premier League football, but Daniel James is exemplary in terms of relentlessness. And he's always an option as an outlet up front, making runs. Having him on the pitch I'm sure has forced the others to pull their finger out.
We were poor against that kids team from Norway as well. Let's not dress that up

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What’s up with pereira / mata being played as wingers? I just don’t get it. square pegs round holes as usual.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Worrying to say the least. Very poor. Martial not working hard enough either.

dove

Nah, we are barely using our strongest team. Not that impressed with this Molina side beside Suso.
Really? It's pretty much our strongest team and Ole himself said that a similar team will start against Chelsea.

tony54

I can truly say our midfield is absolutely hopeless. We need a decent midfielder asap.
We have to get some of the youngsters on to increase the speed and quickness of thinking.
I'm sorry Mata and matic your time is up as starters.
It's going to take more than our new right back and Maguire to turn this hopelessness in midfield around.

Gordon S

Almost feeling sorry for Matic, it's like he's been retired for 7 years but playing cause his old team are lacking players.
Mata has no bite whatsoever, like a cat with the claws and teeth removed.

NJM78

9 of that 11 will probably start v Chelsea. We are still just not very good. Pogba will make a huge difference of course and hopefully slab head will sort us out regarding high balls and crosses but I'm not going for more than a draw v Chelsea.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Woodward excels at selling, why would he not sell, mata matic Rojo, peierera, ?
Huh? Mata and Pereira would have gone for free and we'd have nothing in their place. Matic and Rojo could only go to China with their wages but their even too old for that adventure.

Our midfield is lacking enough as it is without adding to Herrera's departure.

yamo123x

Still cannot see what ole's style of play is.

To win games you have to boss possession and take the game to the opposition. We were promised high pressibg front foot football, couldnt be further from it.

At this level you cannot carry a single player let alone 3 or 4.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

This is basically our first team. I'm not sure why anyone is expecting vastly different performances from the same players who have let us down for years.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
We were poor against that kids team from Norway as well. Let's not dress that up
Sure, but for very different reasons. They defended deep and were organised. They were happy to give us the ball which presents a different tactical challenge to Ole. We struggled with it and he'll need to come up with answers to it (both Juve players we're linked with would help in that regard). But that performance was still less reminiscent of the last 3 months of last season than this half.