Manchester United vs AC Milan Sat 3rd August, 17:36 UK time

George The Best

De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, McTominay, Pogba, Rashford and Martial are the only ones I'm sure about. The rest depends on what happens up to the deadline.
Agree, although I’d add Maguire to that. He’s had a pre-season with Leicester and should get a week with the team before the Chelsea match.

Dante

Average bang
De Gea, Wan-Bissaka, Shaw, McTominay, Pogba, Rashford and Martial are the only ones I'm sure about. The rest depends on what happens up to the deadline.
Lindelof, Jones, James and Lingard have been the other best performers overall. Possibly Greenwood deserves to be in the list, but I don't see him starting due to his inexperience.

Suvvernmanc

I never suggested that they would start against Chelsea. For whatever reason, the management decided that they needed to play for as long as they did regardless of performance.
I know. Hence why I complained about it. We were losing possession easily, we were not creating anything, we were gerally being outplayed.

We play our 1st PL game in a week. Giving 65 minutes to players who shouldn't be anywhere the Chelsea game is poor management. Trying to get fringe players fit I get, but we still could have bought on better players to try and win the game in hand. Or even better, just play the better players from the start and give them the minutes.

During the game though, when things aren't going to plan, you make changes. We didn't do that at the right time today.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Lindelof too surely

George The Best

I know. Hence why I complained about it. We were losing possession easily, we were not creating anything, we were gerally being outplayed.

We play our 1st PL game in a week. Giving 65 minutes to players who shouldn't be anywhere the Chelsea game is poor management. Trying to get fringe players fit I get, but we still could have bought on better players to try and win the game in hand. Or even better, just play the better players from the start and give them the minutes.

During the game though, when things aren't going to plan, you make changes. We didn't do that at the right time today.
Not sure how much of that was because Ole didn’t want to give away our starting line-up against Chelsea. Think you may see a very different starting X1 then. Maguire obviously goes straight in, James or Greenwood could well figure, not to mention different roles for McTom and/or Tuanzebe. Anyone else we sign this week, if indeed we do, are unlikely to figure imo.

roseguy64

We didn't do it because the result didn't matter.

DBT85

Ole said in his post match that "when ash starts he'll be wearing the armband"

Yaaaaay

Another year of a captain that isn't in the starting 11 every fecking week.

kundalini

Positives:

- Rashford a threat, worth his goal
- Rojo played surprisingly well
- 2nd half better than the 1st, especially after the subs came on
- Lingard's goal
- Tuanzebe impressive for 27 mins

Negatives:

- Horrible 25 mins after our goal in the first half, completely out-played
- Matic started well then became a liability, including losing possession prior to Suso's goal
- Wan-Bissaka, McTominay and Martial nowhere near their form from other pre-season games
- Pereira and Mata did not work, offensively, defensively, organisationally.
- What happened to the high press ? We tried it for a few mins then gave up for lengthy spells
- We failed to stop Suso dominating the first half
- Team selection and late subs gave limited time for Gomes and Greenwood to demonstrate if they are ready, or not.

Overall - having been reasonably optimistic about the new season up until this point, that was alarming on several different levels. I don't know what Solskjaer was thinking when he came up with that line-up, but he needs to learn from his mistakes fast. We need youngsters either to start, or on the bench, to provide the penetration that is so often missing in our game.

Last edited:

roseguy64

At least Ole cleared up the Pogba thing. Press manager wasn't updated re: Paul missing the flight so that's why the reports that people were surprised he wasn't in the squad.

DBT85

It's a bigger issue if we don't have people who can step up in his absence.

Thankfully we do though (e.g. Poggerz, Lindey, Smallers)
A captain should be on the field unless he is injured or rested. It shouldn't be someone who mostly won't be in contention, even if there are others who can step in. I would not include either "lindey" or "smallers" in the list of possible options either.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Not played the last game and now given 10 min only, after his performance vs Spurs...why? Gomes looks at the very least fully capable of doing what Mata does. He can’t be worse.
I don’t understand that.

And we’re going into the season playing like shit again. Great.

Steerpike

I thought one worrying thing about the game today was the front line. It's all well and good having great movement up front, but you still need your main striker(s) to get into goal scoring positions on a regular basis. I can't remember a single occasion where Martial got into a position where he was likely to score (contrast that with Lingard who got into promising positions on at least 3 occasions after coming on). We may have an issue with Rashford and Martial both being better playing alongside a striker who stays central, so basically not great as a partnership.

There were a number of times when promising situations came to nothing because none of our strikers took up positions from which they were likely to score.

Suvvernmanc

We didn't do it because the result didn't matter.
So getting our first team ready for chelsea isn't a priority.. installing Oles methods and tactics plus getting a winning mentality osnt important. And giving minutes to fringe players are..

Suvvernmanc

Not sure how much of that was because Ole didn’t want to give away our starting line-up against Chelsea. Think you may see a very different starting X1 then. Maguire obviously goes straight in, James or Greenwood could well figure, not to mention different roles for McTom and/or Tuanzebe. Anyone else we sign this week, if indeed we do, are unlikely to figure imo.
As long as Matic doesn't.. :lol:

MrBest

Giys it was a pre season game. No maguire and no other signings. By time we play Chelsea in a week, it could be a very different story

Red_toad

We’re a million miles away from City
Did you expect a team with a total of 2 new players to close the gap on City? If so you're a tad over optimistic.

When people say it's a process, then it's a process. Champs league qualification if the target for next season, then build on that. Preseason has been good, too many doom merchants on here who seem to love having a go even at players who've hardly featured and the manager for not knowing the players better than the fans do.

VJ1762

I was actually shocked to hear that Milan have won the serie A title only twice in the past 20 years :eek:. I thought with the teams that they had, they would have won more serie A titles.

TheLord

It is going to be another good old battle against Chelsea and Arsenal (and possibly another surprise team) for the fourth place finish in the League.

The first match on Sunday will give a fairly good idea of what to expect from the season.

Denis79

We’re a million miles away from City
We aren't competing with them anymore if we're being honest with ourselves. We're fighting for that CL spot, that's our level now. Hopefully in a few years that will change but going in this season comparing ourselves to City will just lead to heartache.

Orwellians

Lindelöf had a shocker. Rojo is a red card walking (especially with VAR). Smalling is a shirt puller in the box (penalties given away like candy with VAR). Jones tries hard, but his game seems to injure himself. SHAW is not good enough. Tuanzebe plays like a DM. Young - must he swap wings to accommodate AWB, and wear the armband?
Matic off the bench late on, with the points secure. Mata promoted to non playing assistant coach with immediate effect. (Martial + James + Rashford all look clueless in the attacking 3rd).

Partnerships??? Maguire/? AWB/? Pogba/?Rashford/?

We have played 6 games. I was impressed by Romero, AWB, Young, McTom, Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Lingard.

DDG is not worth more money. (Sorry Dave, computer says no.)
Fred...(is the jury still out, seriously?)
Andreas P....how are they getting minutes?

Yakuza_devils

Our defence is still a shamble. Lindelof done many mistakes in the match. Macguire should improve us. He should partner Tuanzebe.

Midfield without Pogba is shit. Matic and Mata should never start again for us. We also need to bring in Bruno.

Our attack can't click and didn't created much. There was no end product. No understanding and link up play. Hopefully, Dybala can change all that.

As it stand, it's going to be a long season.

Enfant terrible

Hello,

It was obvious that Mata/Matić were absolutely shameful. But I have no fear. I believe the statement Ole made: " we will play our best team" was coined before Pogba had back spasm (correct me if I am wrong). After Pogba was out of the combination (which I believe would be Pogba/MCT/Fred) Ole simply saw the opportunity to try out the alternative (Matic/MCT/Mata). MCT was lousy (but that is to the extent of playing alongside Matic — that must be a really life sucking experience for anyone). That being said, I can't believe all the negativity and panic on the forum. The highlight of the game was Gomes

Fracture90

Lindelöf had a shocker. Rojo is a red card walking (especially with VAR). Smalling is a shirt puller in the box (penalties given away like candy with VAR). Jones tries hard, but his game seems to injure himself. SHAW is not good enough. Tuanzebe plays like a DM. Young - must he swap wings to accommodate AWB, and wear the armband?
Matic off the bench late on, with the points secure. Mata promoted to non playing assistant coach with immediate effect. (Martial + James + Rashford all look clueless in the attacking 3rd).

We have played 6 games. I was impressed by Romero, AWB, Young, McTom, Chong, Gomes, Greenwood, Lingard.

This post simply oozes optimism...

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

Living up to the bright future your namesake predicted.

All we need now is a military coup and your dystopian landscape is complete

ThinkTank@Cafe

Good game, a lot of information. Fun to see revival of Doomsday threads.

Beginning of the game. 4-2-3-1 again. Rashford on the left = goal against pressing teams. Excellent weapon.

Build up from the back is a problem. Against KBK, it was just visible; facing a more competent team we lost the pitch for good 50 minutes.

We can’t rely on Matic to bring the ball out of defense against good teams with a lot of AM type players pressing centrally. Neither we can’t rely on him to provide cover for MCT runs. As a result we had DMs doing nothing.

They were so bad that Rashford and Martial played very deep on the flanks. Starting from 20th minute we had weird experimental 4-4-2 Strikerless formation. Ole spotted holes between Milan’s defense and midfielders and tried to exploit them.

It failed because: 1) Rash and Tony played too deep and we didn’t have anyone upfront, 2) more importantly - both Mata and Pereira can’t play when they have space. They are too slow. Mata is handy in compressed spaces (see KBK match), he’s very cunning player. When he has space he is just useless. Too slow, his passes tend to be too short and weak. Pereira should be sold. Enough is enough.

Then, Ole fixes everything. Fred has a fantastic passing range. Lingard is a king of the holes. He just destroyed Milan punishing them for the gap. Gomes and Greenwood had chances to show their skills. They are very raw tactically. People here are so fooled with turns and dribbles. Go watch youtube. l and you’ll never be upset.

Most popular question: why Matic plays? Because we don’t play Smalling. Heading issue is pain in the ass. We managed to concede a set-piece goal from Milan!

This is the reason we paid 80M for Maguire. And this is reason why Fred wasn’t played last season. Remember Mourinho saying we didn’t buy a CB to play Fred?

Overall, very nice friendly where we achieved everything we expect from a friendly and even managed to get a shootout win for our little Doomsayers Club.

Fully Fledged

It was actually a bit of a nightmare.

There were gaps between the staff coming round taking drinks orders, so on a couple of occasions I had to swim to the pool bar and get my own. :nono:

And they ran out of Strela for half an hour so I had to go to shots.
I've got that hardship coming tomorrow. Here's hoping the bar men where I'm going are more on their game.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Lindelof, Jones, James and Lingard have been the other best performers overall. Possibly Greenwood deserves to be in the list, but I don't see him starting due to his inexperience.
pardon? Jones and Lingard - what games have you been watching?

0161_UNITED

It was actually a bit of a nightmare.

There were gaps between the staff coming round taking drinks orders, so on a couple of occasions I had to swim to the pool bar and get my own. :nono:

And they ran out of Strela for half an hour so I had to go to shots.
:lol: First world problems, brother! Have a good holiday!