Kick-off
Thu, 11 March 2021 @ 5:55pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ....................VS...............................

Date - Thursday, March 11 2021
    Kickoff Time - 1755 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

Europa League Form Guide

Manchester United: WD
    AC Milan: DWWDD

Previous Meetings in European Competitions

Manchester United 4–0 AC Milan

AC Milan 2–3 Manchester United

AC Milan 3–0 Manchester United

Manchester United 3–2 AC Milan

AC Milan 1–0 Manchester United

All-Time Record in European Competitions

Manchester United wins: 5
    AC Milan wins: 5
    Draws: 0

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Stefano Pioli

Team News

Manchester United

Paul Pogba, Phil Jones and David de Gea ruled out. Donny van de Beek, Edinson Cavani, Marcus Rashford and Luke Shaw doubtful.

AC Milan

Ismaël Bennacer, Mario Mandžukić, Daniele Bonera, Brahim Díaz and Hakan Çalhanoğlu ruled out. Ante Rebić, Theo Hernández and Zlatan Ibrahimović dountful.

Know the opposition

Associazione Calcio Milan, commonly referred to as A.C. Milan or simply Milan and nicknamed I Rossoneri, is a professional football club in Milan, Italy. A.C. Milan was founded in 1899 as Milan Foot-Ball and Cricket Club by English expatriates Alfred Edwards and Herbert Kilpin. In honor of its English origins, the club has retained the English spelling of the city's name, as opposed to the Italian spelling Milano, which it was forced to bear under the fascist regime. Milan won its first Italian championship in 1901 and a further two in succession in 1906 and 1907. In 1908, Milan experienced a split caused by internal disagreements over the signing of foreign players, which led to the forming of another Milan-based team, F.C. Internazionale Milano. Following these events, Milan did not manage to win a single domestic title until 1950–51.

The 1950s saw the club return to the top of Italian football, headed by the famous Gre-No-Li trio. This was one of the club's most successful periods domestically, with the Scudetto going to Milan in 1951, 1955, 1957, 1959 and 1962. In 1963, Milan won its first continental title by beating Benfica in the final of the European Cup. In 1986, entrepreneur Silvio Berlusconi acquired the club and saved it from bankruptcy after investing vast amounts of money, appointing rising manager Arrigo Sacchi at the helm of the Rossoneri. Under Sacchi, Milan won its first Scudetto in nine years in the 1987–88 season. The following year, the club won its first European Cup in two decades.

A.C. Milan's 18 FIFA and UEFA trophies is the fourth highest out of any club (joint with Boca Juniors), and the most out of any Italian club. Milan has won a joint record three Intercontinental Cups and one FIFA Club World Cup, seven European Cup/Champions League titles (Italian record), the UEFA Super Cup a joint record five times and the Cup Winners' Cup twice. With 18 league titles, Milan is also the joint-second most successful club in Serie A. They have also won the Coppa Italia five times, and the Supercoppa Italiana seven. Milan's main rivalry is with its neighbor club, Internazionale, where both clubs meet in the widely anticipated Derby della Madonnina twice every Serie A season. The rivalry with Juventus F.C. is a rivalry between the two most titled teams in Italy. Milan's home games are played at San Siro (or the Stadio Giuseppe Meazza), which is shared with Internazionale.

Referee

Slavko Vinčić.

Familiar Faces

Diogo Dalot (2018—present) & Zlatan Ibrahimović (2016—18)

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

-----------------Henderson-----------------
    AWB----Bailly----Maguire----Telles
    ----McTominay----Matic----
    Greenwood--Bruno--James
    -------------------Martial-------------------

Subs: Grant, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Shaw, Williams, Fred, Rashford, Amad, Shoretire

Could really do with our bit part players getting back to fitness (VDB and Mata)

Last edited:

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    How do AC Milan play? Do they play a high line or do they sit back?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Looking forward to this one. Rashford will be a huge loss, but Milan aren’t that good. United should have enough over two legs.

Forgot we had ANOTHER mid week game.
    We play every week until the end of the season if we keep progressing in the cups.

Siorac

Feels grim that this is a Europa League tie and not the Champions League. Two fallen giants.
    But honestly, I'm glad we're playing them instead of Molde or something. Feels like a proper European tie.

Irwin99

But honestly, I'm glad we're playing them instead of Molde or something. Feels like a proper European tie.
    Me too. It might be a pale imitation of the matches between us between 07-10 but the history is still there.

Not really sure what to expect. They have injuries apparently but ours are mounting up too.

Mcking

Henderson
    AWB Bailly Maguire Telles
    Fred Matic
    Greenwood Bruno James
    Martial​

Rashford has been poor for a while now, so might as well give him the rest.

paulscholes18

Henderson
    McTominay Matic
    Greenwood Bruno James
    Martial

Bwuk

Assuming it’s the same squad availability

Henderson
    AWB - Bailly - Maguire - Telles
    McTominay - Matic
    Greenwood - Bruno - James
    Martial​

Devil may care

I don't see many changes for this one and with the injuries to the forwards the front 4 pretty much picks itself.

always_hoping

2nd best in Premier league v the 2nd best in Serie A makes for a very interesting European tie. The winner will rightly fancy their chances to win the Cup and this match up would have made a great final.

Both have their own injury problems looks like no Rashford, Cavani and Pogba for this 1st leg hopefully their replacements step up.

CM

We've had a lot of injuries sneak up on us in recent weeks... Pogba, van de Beek, Mata, Cavani and now Rashford. Not much depth in midfield or attack to select from now.

Another good reason to give Amad a start here. Not just from the perspective of wanting to see a talented young player get his chance, but this team needs some rotation ahead of West Ham next weekend.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
    This is a tough draw but its probably the only tie that would have enticed me.

Looking forward to it, and also not overly bothered if we don't go through.

Robindinho

Henderson
    Williams Bailly Maguire Telles
    Matic Fred
    Bruno
    Greenwood Martial Amad
    Shame Donny and Mata are out, so no rest for Bruno.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    Hendo

AWB
    Bailly
    Maguire
    Telles

Matic
    Scott
    Bruno

Greenwood
    Martial
    James

Markolan

Supports
    AC Milan
    Milan won 2-0 today but no Ibrahimovic in the squad today, not sure if injured?
    He's injuried and will miss both games.

Today we were missing Ibra, Rebic, Theo Hernandez, Calhanoglu, Bennacer and Mandzukic.. I think only Theo and Rebic will be available for the 1st leg while the other three should be ready for the return leg..

TheGame

He's injuried and will miss both games.

Today we were missing Ibra, Rebic, Theo Hernandez, Calhanoglu, Bennacer and Mandzukic.. I think only Theo and Rebic will be available for the 1st leg while the other three should be ready for the return leg..
    Thanks, been keeping an eye on the Italian league as it’s quite interesting this season.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    Excited for this. I honestly reckon we will batter them to be honest. They will try and play football which will play into our hands. I actually think Rashford out is a blessing too as he’s been shocking recently. Would be a great game for Martial and/or Greenwood to start firing.

OleBoiii

There's something oddly "romantic" about this fixture. Neither club what it once was, but still a huge name. Fitting that we meet in the EL :lol:

Bertie Wooster

I'd much rather be playing the likes of Molde at this stage. Save the tougher opponents for the later rounds when we can't avoid an easier draw.

I don't get why many only seem to want to draw 'big' opponents in the Europa League. Or why the likes of Molde wouldn't seem a 'proper' tie. It's only like drawing a non-PL club in the domestic cup competitions. And I'd much rather keep doing that than be drawn against strong PL opposition every round just so it feels like a 'proper' (i.e. bloody tough) opponent.

AshRK

Looking forward to this one. Rashford will be a huge loss, but Milan aren’t that good. United should have enough over two legs.

We play every week until the end of the season if we keep progressing in the cups.
    Where's this arrogance coming from? They are 2nd in serie a and are having a decent season. They may not be the old ac milan but neither are we the old Manchester United. This will be a tough game and a win will be huge.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    Where's this arrogance coming from? They are 2nd in serie a and are having a decent season. They may not be the old ac milan but neither are we the old Manchester United. This will be a tough game and a win will be huge.
    serie a is a pretty shocking standard truth be told. Look at the performances of Lukaku in that league, he’s an average, middling premier league striker.

AshRK

I'd much rather be playing the likes of Molde at this stage. Save the tougher opponents for the later rounds when we can't avoid an easier draw.

I don't get why many only seem to want to draw 'big' opponents in the Europa League. Or why the likes of Molde wouldn't seem a 'proper' tie. It's only like drawing a non-PL club in the domestic cup competitions. And I'd much rather keep doing that than be drawn against strong PL opposition every round just so it feels like a 'proper' (i.e. bloody tough) opponent.
    Exactly. Never understand that logic myself. I remember people before the CL draw had the same attitude. Yes let us draw the best and beat them. Look how that went. I would have any day preferred to play sevilla, krasnodar and rennes than Leipzig and Psg. This game against Milan is as tough as it gets. Yes playing a traditional European powerhouse is fun but I would have preferred to play Zagreb or Molde than Milan.

Bertie Wooster

Hope we pick a very strong team. Although, obviously, injuries are mounting up.

Assuming Pogba and Rashford are out. Hopefully Cavani may be back. If so I'd probably expect...

Henderson
    Fred Matic
    Greenwood Bruno James (or Martial)
    Cavani (or Martial)

Shaw has to be rested occasionally and Europe seems the best games to play Telles, as he's used to that competition. And Ole seems to want Lindelof and McTominay for league games. Perfectly happy with Bailly instead. I'd prefer McTominay to Matic, but think Ole will probably go with Nemanja and keep Scott for West Ham?

AshRK

serie a is a pretty shocking standard truth be told. Look at the performances of Lukaku in that league, he’s an average, middling premier league striker.
    I am not a lukaku fan or anything but calling him average again shows our arrogance and ignorance. He is a decent striker, yes playing in serie a helps him but that doesn't make one average. He did score 28 goals in all competition for us in his first season here.

I still think this is a tough tie and we need to play well if we are to knock them out.

Bertie Wooster

I am not a lukaku fan or anything but calling him average again shows our arrogance and ignorance. He is a decent striker, yes playing in serie a helps him but that doesn't make one average. He did score 28 goals in all competition for us in his first season here.

I still think this is a tough tie and we need to play well if we are to knock them out.
    Yeah, I really don't get the criticism on here about Lukaku's ability.

Yes, it went wrong here and he didn't fit Ole's style. But his overall goalscoring record here was still good. As it has been at Anderlecht, West Brom, Everton, Inter Milan and Belgium.

He's helped fire Inter Milan to the EL Final last season and top of Serie A this season with 58 goals in 83 games so far - a great ratio. And has an equally impressive record at international level with 57 goals in 89 games for Belgium - who have become number one ranked national team in the world during his time with them.

He's a top quality #9 - who is clearly one of the best of his generation in that position. How anyone could call him 'average' I've no idea (other than it seems to be based on how his spell ended at one club).

Tiber

This would have been a rather different fixture 10 years ago

always_hoping

Should be no arrogance from any united supporters that has watched every game this season and viewed defeats to the likes of Sheffield United, Basaksehir.

For some reason these match threads always has the "comfortable" "easy" win comments, I'm not sure if they are serious or using the worn out lines such as this will be Ole's first test..

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 187 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • AC Milan win
  • Draw