Kick-off
Sun, 1 December 2019 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ........VS...........

Date - Sunday, December 1 2019
    Kickoff Time - 1630 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

League form guide

9. Manchester United: DWLWD
    15. Aston Villa : WLLLLW

Previous Meetings

Manchester United 1—0 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 0—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 3—1 Aston Villa

Aston Villa 1—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 4—1 Aston Villa

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 85
    Aston Villa wins: 43
    Draws: 38

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Dean Smith

Team News

Manchester United

Scott McTominay, Eric Bailly, Timothy Fosu-Mensah , Paul Pogba and Diogo Dalot ruled out. Nemanja Matić and Marcos Rojo doubtful.

Aston Villa

Keinan Davis and Jed Steer ruled out. Jota and Björn Engels doubtful.

Know the opposition

Aston Villa Football Club (nicknamed Villa, The Villa, The Villans, and The Lions) is a professional football club based in Aston, Birmingham. The club were formed in March 1874, by four members of the Villa Cross Wesleyan Chapel. The four founders were Jack Hughes, Frederick Matthews, Walter Price and William Scattergood. The first match was against the local Aston Brook St Mary's Rugby team. The club were soon playing the modern version of football though and won its first FA Cup in 1887. Aston Villa were one of the dozen teams that competed in the inaugural Football League in 1888 with one of the club's directors, William McGregor being the league's founder. Aston Villa emerged as the most successful English club of the Victorian era

Villa are one of only five English clubs to have won the European Cup, in 1981–82. They have also won the Football League First Division seven times, the FA Cup seven times, the League Cup five times, and the UEFA Super Cup once. At the end of the 2018–19 season, Aston Villa had also spent 105 seasons in the top tier of English football. The only club to have spent longer in the top flight are Everton, with 116 seasons, making Aston Villa versus Everton the most-played fixture in English top-flight football. Aston Villa's arch-rivals are Birmingham City, with games between the two clubs known as the Second City Derby. Historically though, West Bromwich Albion have arguably been Villa's greatest rivals. Villa also enjoy less heated local rivalries with Wolverhampton Wanderers and Coventry City. Aston Villa have been playing their home games at Villa Park since 1897.

Referee

Craig Pawson.​

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Will probably be

DDG
    AWB - Maguire - Lindelof - Williams
    Pereira - Fred - Lingard
    James - Martial - Rash​

NJM78

We have to beat Villa at OT surely. Also we will have no excuse of Europa as everyone was rested who will likely start.

Same team as last week but with Mata in for Jones.

RedDevilRoshi

Can't believe Mata still has admirers on here.
    It’s either Mata or Lingard or Pereira in that number 10 position.

All three are absolutely s****, so doesn’t really make a difference as those are our current options in that position.

Samid

It’s either Mata or Lingard or Pereira in that number 10 position.

All three are absolutely s****, so doesn’t really make a difference as those are our current options in that position.
    If the alternative is Mata then I'd much rather Lingard and pray that his yearly December purple patch continues.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

-----------------De Gea-----------------
    AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Williams
    ------------Fred--------Matic------------
    James-------Mata-------Rashford
    -----------------Martial-----------------

Subs: Romero, Young, Shaw, Tuanzebe, Andreas, Lingard, Greenwood

Tbh had Greenwood not played 90 minutes tonight I'd have him from the start in a 424 zero fecks given XI. Hoping Matic is back (well actually hope McTominay or Pogba are back but that seems even more unlikely)

RedDevilRoshi

Looks like our game isn’t being broadcasted live which is good! Our last two results and the performances have been very good when our game ain’t being broadcasted live. Hopefully the same for this one..

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    They're rubbish. Expecting an easy 3-0 win.
    They're really not

Heaton always turns into Superman at OT, Mings and Engels are a good CB pairing (though I think Engels is injured), McGinn and Grealish would walk into our side at present and Wesley is a handful up front

Villa have also given a very good account of themselves away to both Spurs and Arsenal this season as well as at home to Liverpool

This'll be a tough game and I wouldn't be surprised if we drop points given our injuries

Alabaster Codify7

They aren't that bad and we are pretty fecking mediocre. This isn't going to be a landslide, but I do think we'll win.

---------------------------------------DDG-----------------------------------
    AWB------------Lindelöf--------------Maguire--------------Williams
    -----------------------Fred-----------------Garner------------------------
    ----------------------------------Pereira--------------------------------------
    James----------------------Martial-----------------------------Rashford

SUBS - Lingard (Pereira), Greenwood (Martial), Young (Williams)

Man United 2 - 1 Aston Villa
    Rashford, James.

Al-T

Is McTominay definitely ruled out? Please God not Jones again.

I'd swap McGinn and Grealish for Fred and Pereira in a heartbeat.

Actually, I'd swap Fred and Pereira for a set of socket spanners, but at home, I think we'll have enough.

3-1.

always_hoping

I watched Villa last Monday v Newcastle they impressed me with their high fitness movement, and full of running style which was the opposite from what i have seen from United in a number of games this year. I also watched Villa v Liverpool, where they were unlucky not to get at least a draw out of that game. Everything goes through Gealish and i'm not sure if United have anyone suitable to keep tabs on him. Heaton in goal nearly always has great games v United.

A back 5 is big no for this type of game, its alright playing it v Liverpool or City. This will be my first Old Trafford game to attended since Leicester in September and i'll be more than happy with another 1-0 win.

The last United v Villa game i attended in Old Trafford was April 22nd 2013 when United were crown league champions for the 20th time. How things have sadly changed since then :(

Enigma_87

You know who
    Villa have won 1 game and lost 5 away from home this season. The sole win was against Norwich.

They are the worst away side in the league so far.

Having said that probably will be a difficult game.

Irwin99

How will Villa approach this tactically? Not seen them at all this year. I thought Brighton were suicidal against us but Sheffield United struck an effective balance between attacking us and nullifying our threats (until minute 70 anyway). If Villa are adventurous and leave space for us i'm confident we'll win.

FootballHQ

Supports
    Aston Villa
    Villa have won 1 game and lost 5 away from home this season. The sole win was against Norwich.

They are the worst away side in the league so far.

Having said that probably will be a difficult game.
    So far away we've played;

Spurs on on opening day - even under Poch they still beat Southampton and Palace and drew with Watford and Sheffield United so similar home form to Man. United and Arsenal.

Palace- Our record at Selhurst Park in last 20 years is as bad as at Old Trafford. Went down to 10 men early in second half and even them VAR robbed us of a draw in last minute.

Arsenal- Completely messed that one up, were leading twice and Arsenal were down to 10 men but imploded in last ten minutes. Arsenal still unbeaten at home in the league.

Norwich- 1-5.

Man. City- 0-0 at half time but Man. City comfortably saw us off in the second.

Wolves- Our worst away display of the season. Wolves have improved a lot in last month and again rarely lose at home.

After you we also play away to Chelsea on Wednesday and then have Sheffield United so our away schedule in first half of the season has been very tough.

As for the game, well we can never play v Man. United the way we do other top teams. So far we've been 5 minutes away from getting a point away to Spurs and Arsenal and obviously should've got something at home to Liverpool so we are due a result from this sort of fixture.

Would be pretty disappointed if we just meekly lose this 3-0 or something, as long as I look at the team on Sunday afternoon and see you haven't signed Macheda or Hernandez on an emergency loan ( I'm reasonably confident we could get a draw from this. Certainly be a good battle in the midfield area.

Bwuk

Can see McGinn causing us a lot of problems. None of our midfielders track runners.

Enigma_87

You know who
    So far away we've played;

Spurs on on opening day - even under Poch they still beat Southampton and Palace and drew with Watford and Sheffield United so similar home form to Man. United and Arsenal.

Palace- Our record at Selhurst Park in last 20 years is as bad as at Old Trafford. Went down to 10 men early in second half and even them VAR robbed us of a draw in last minute.

Arsenal- Completely messed that one up, were leading twice and Arsenal were down to 10 men but imploded in last ten minutes. Arsenal still unbeaten at home in the league.

Norwich- 1-5.

Man. City- 0-0 at half time but Man. City comfortably saw us off in the second.

Wolves- Our worst away display of the season. Wolves have improved a lot in last month and again rarely lose at home.

After you we also play away to Chelsea on Wednesday and then have Sheffield United so our away schedule in first half of the season has been very tough.

As for the game, well we can never play v Man. United the way we do other top teams. So far we've been 5 minutes away from getting a point away to Spurs and Arsenal and obviously should've got something at home to Liverpool so we are due a result from this sort of fixture.

Would be pretty disappointed if we just meekly lose this 3-0 or something, as long as I look at the team on Sunday afternoon and see you haven't signed Macheda or Hernandez on an emergency loan ( I'm reasonably confident we could get a draw from this. Certainly be a good battle in the midfield area.
    Definitely you could've won some points here and there, but same can be said about other teams too. Probably as you mentioned at Selhust Park you could've won some points and also against Arsenal, but during the course of the season you were really lucky to beat Brighton at home with a man up almost the whole game.

Our fixture list is even tougher with Spurs and City coming up so not much in it. I doubt you can get something from this game, or that we will win it comfortably. Probably 1-0, 2-1 type of scrappy game.

Paul_Scholes18

Not sure who we should play the midfield. We really should win this game. Mata might be the answer, but maybe we should play Lingard for more movement. Jones in midfield could work too although his confidence might be low and Ole can probably not coach him well in that role. Matic could be back, but he might be far too slow if rushed back. I don't want to see Pereira start as a defensive midfielder, but I guess he will play.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Thankfully we're at home. We desperately need Matic and McTominay fit soon, can't have a midfield without 1. Should be able to get a win anyway because of the rest, but a bit sad that their entire midfield 3 walks into our likely starting team. Don't even know who to use as the 3rd midfield spot. Easy choice for the other 10 of the 11 though. Would avoid Pereira because he's garbage, but he'll probably play sadly.

De Gea
    Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
    Lingard Fred ???
    James Martial Rashford​

always_hoping

Thankfully we're at home. We desperately need Matic and McTominay fit soon, can't have a midfield without 1. Should be able to get a win anyway because of the rest, but a bit sad that their entire midfield 3 walks into our likely starting team. Don't even know who to use as the 3rd midfield spot. Easy choice for the other 10 of the 11 though. Would avoid Pereira because he's garbage, but he'll probably play sadly.

De Gea
    Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
    Lingard Fred ???
    James Martial Rashford​
    Did you mean Pogba there? Will be a big surprise if Lingard starts again on Sunday, he'll be introduced as a sub along with Greenwood i can imagine and none of the others that played v Astana will play on Sunday.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Did you mean Pogba there? Will be a big surprise if Lingard starts again on Sunday, he'll be introduced as a sub along with Greenwood i can imagine and none of the others that played v Astana will play on Sunday.
    No, we need one of Matic or McTominay in whatever midfield we use. They're the only 2 who are defensive midfielders in any sense of the term, and without them we'll have no control/shielding whatsoever. If McTominay is injured, Matic really needs to start regardless of his lack of form over the past year. It's still better than playing Pereira in there. We might be able to get away with Pogba and Fred together, but only against the weakest of midfields.

always_hoping

No, we need one of Matic or McTominay in whatever midfield we use. They're the only 2 who are defensive midfielders in any sense of the term, and without them we'll have no control/shielding whatsoever. If McTominay is injured, Matic really needs to start regardless of his lack of form over the past year. It's still better than playing Pereira in there. We might be able to get away with Pogba and Fred together, but only against the weakest of midfields.
    McTominay we need but Matic is done at this level, as average as Pereira is it would be like playing with 10 men with a static player like Matic playing. Two things needed in Jan for me. 1. Matic offloaded to whoever will take him and 2. CDM brought in that is as good as McTominay.

bosnian_red

McTominay we need but Matic is done at this level, as average as Pereira is it would be like playing with 10 men with a static player like Matic playing. Two things needed in Jan for me. 1. Matic offloaded to whoever will take him and 2. CDM brought in that is as good as McTominay.
    Matic is past it, but is still a more useful player to us in midfield than Pereira.

Withnail

Matic is past it, but is still a more useful player to us in midfield than Pereira.
    I'm not really sure that's true.

Pereira isn't great but he at least resembles a PL footballer on occasion. There's always the chance he'll pop up with a goal or assist as well, however slim.

I'm struggling to remember the last time Matic made a positive contribution to a game, rather than being a total liability.

DRM

Tough game I feel. I can see Heaton turning into <insert best ever keeper name> and greilish scoring a worldie.

1-1

Havak

Pokemon master
    Will be a tough game and probably only one or two goals in it. I don't think Villa will come and beat us but a draw wouldn't exactly be a shock, especially if McTominay is still out as our midfield just looks poor. We really need the win here though, as it's hard to see us beating Tottenham or City next. Taking the negative outlook, but come next weekend I could see us sliding just into the bottom half of the table again. Might get worse before it gets better, but McTominay and Pogba (if he's at it) back in December and fresh could allow us to go on a bit of a run. This game feels like a must-win just to keep our heads above water.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
    Chelsea and Pool aren't televised either, must mean they're shit too?
    They're both on at 3pm tomorrow as part of their required allocation of 3pm games per season, and therefore can't be shown on TV.

Anyway t'was only a quip, I assume we were moved to Sunday because of the Europa.

jderbyshire

Has anybody seen my fleshlight?
    Villa will park the bus so I think Mata will be useful in this game. I just hope Pereira doesn't play.

De Gea
    Wan-Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Williams
    Matic Fred
    James Mata Rashford
    Martial​

I've just read that Matic showed up to Carrington for just 24 minutes then left? And that he didn't attend a team-bonding event the other night? Maybe Pereira instead of Matic then.

Samid

They're both on at 3pm tomorrow as part of their required allocation of 3pm games per season, and therefore can't be shown on TV.

Anyway t'was only a quip, I assume we were moved to Sunday because of the Europa.
    Yup our game is also a part of that allocation. They deliberately put the non-televised EL teams at the same time as the televised games to reduce the impact of pubs etc. streaming games illegally.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
    Yup our game is also a part of that allocation. They deliberately put the non-televised EL teams at the same time as the televised games to reduce the impact of pubs etc. streaming games illegally.
    Yeah I know because we have to fecking put up with it in Ireland too and it's the world's dumbest rule.

red_de_pologne

DDG
    AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Williams
    Fred-Pereira-McTominay
    James-Martial-Rashford
    Hope we play Williams and not Ashley Young.. Ole said McT might play so I expect him to start.

jackal&hyde

A must win if there ever was one. Players should be rested, though we are still with one fit mid. Given that Lingard played Astana, i expect Pereira to have another go at CM, unless Matic is fit.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 236 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win
  • Draw