Kick-off
Sun, 1 December 2019 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ancient Of Days

Eddy the feck out. Glazers the feck out.
    Yeah It was annoying seeing both Woodward and the glazers family on the touchline instructing the boys to play dinosaur football out.

If only Ed decided to put on Greenwood earlier than the 80th minute, instead of Lingard

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    This is Villa. We should be fine without him but then again I heard another record today. Villa has not won at OT since 1992. I don’t think we should risk him if he’s not 100%. Let him get a few more days before Spurs.
    There is no such a thing called fine when the replacement is Pereira.

C3Pique

Work experience manager picking Make a Wish players, overseen by my 10 year old cousin playing football manager.

Burn the whole lot down.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Maybe he could change the play from time to time? I some times see other wingers try to get past the defender or play in triangulations with the other forwards but feck what do I know, guess thats the only play a winger should do run straight forward and send a service into the box.
    We knew he was a bit limited when we bought him, that this is what he would do, so maybe the forwards should realise that he is great at getting the ball in. They all either want the easy option of a corner, freekick or penalty or shooting from the halfway line.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    Honestly, he had little to do with that win against PSG.

It was Lukaku capitalising on the mistakes of PSG's defenders. We didn't actually create a single chance across the two games.
    Yeah I know, but I don't feel good about the whole 'sacking a club legend thing'. Thanks for the first 3 months in general I guess is what I meant, however much of it was down to him is up for debate but I had a fecking blast all the same.

Traub

Yeah sorry if I'm not dropping standards and then dropping some more just to excuse this shit manager. We should be top 4 without excuse.
    I agree but he isn’t going anywhere , so may as well not get worked up over it imo

BarstoolProphet

The slowest team that actually finished 2nd. Going to be a long time before we get to that position again.

We weren't resembling a team tht was even close to get top four at the time of his sacking, despite spending a gazillion, so don't know why you both keep bringing that up. Also he made the place so toxic so that whatever goodwill he made from his previous two seasons was erased. Can't believe anyone question that sacking. That we are shit still doesn't change that.

SAFMUTD

We knew he was a bit limited when we bought him, that this is what he would do, so maybe the forwards should realise that he is great at getting the ball in. They all either want the easy option of a corner, freekick or penalty or shooting from the halfway line.
    Thats why you train players to get them better, he is stuck doing the same thing he did at swansea. Its not his fault, its the coaches fault, they are teaching him nothing.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
    No idea why we're taking off Martial instead of Rashford, unless there's an injury here, Rashford has been invisible this second half
    I don't know why we would take either of them off. They are our biggest threat. We need a win. Go to a 4-4-2 just like we did last week and take off Periera...

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    to the guy who berated me for wanting us to have played more senior players on thursday: that's why!:nono::nono:

SAFMUTD

What's he supposed to do? Stand around until they decide to turn up?
    Exactly that, the service should be targeted at someone. The fact he throws mosr services without anyone in the box shows he isn’t directing the service, he just throws it and hope it lands on someone by pure luck.

Again its not his fault, it just shows how poorly we are coached. There’s no coherence in our attack.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
    How much of that would attribute to the shocking midfield in front of them?
    That plays a part of course. However non existent tactics and them not being as good as many in here say do play a part as well

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
    Exactly that, the service should be targeted at someone. The fact he throws mosr services without anyone in the box shows he isn’t directing the service, he just throws it and hope it lands on someone by pure luck.

Again its not his fault, it just shows how poorly we are coached. There’s no coherence in our attack.
    Either you don't watch the matches or you don't understand how football is played? Dan James isn't "throwing services in", he is crossing into the open area in front of his attacking team-mates – they are the ones who need to move into the area and score. That is how football works - you don't just serve where players are, you create opportunities in front of them, for them to move in, otherwise all your services are going to be blocked. It's footballing 101. Get your facts straight before complaining about James. He's been consistently one of our most dedicated, exciting, and passionate players all season. Why are you attacking him? Just because he's young and seems like an easy target?

SAFMUTD

Either you don't watch the matches or you don't understand how football is played? Dan James isn't "throwing services in", he is crossing into the open area in front of his attacking team-mates – they are the ones who need to move into the area and score. That is how football works - you don't just serve where players are, you create opportunities in front of them, for them to move in, otherwise all your services are going to be blocked. It's footballing 101. Get your facts straight before complaining about James. He's been consistently one of our most dedicated, exciting, and passionate players all season. Why are you attacking him? Just because he's young and seems like an easy target?
    He is serving those deliverys into areas where no player can get to the ball. Its not effective, what I criticize is that he does the same thing over and over and over. He doesnt look at the development of the play, today he had two chances in a counterattack that it was him alone against Villa’s defenders, and what he did? He sent a cross...there was nobody there to take advantage of it, why? Because we have no attacking patterns, its all improvised in the moment.

If you read my posts from the start of the discussion you would see that I first stated that this isn’t James fault, this is a lack of coaching problem, where James is playing with something different on his mind that Martial.

If we had any tactics then Martial would know where to run when James have the ball, wheter to attack the first post, to stay put in the box, to deviate the defender to open space, etc but what we are seeing is a total lack of cordination from our forwards, James doesn’t know where to deliver the ball because he doesnt know where Martial is going to be, and viceversa.

At the moment if the service finds a forward is pure luck.

And Im taking James as an example because he is the one that delivers the crosses while Rashford makes most of his plays trying to get inside rather than provide services. Again lack of coaching left all to players improvissing on attack and hoping for the best.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    Well, today. Listen, there is something to admire. A young, enthusiastic, core. Not well coached, but well assembled. Ole is a good interim appointment. Now we need the actual manager.

thomas porter

As much as its convenient to blame Ole for the draw today this is really down to two things more than anything else...injuries and a poor squad.

On the first issue injuries with Mctominay and Pogba out and I don't know what's going on with Matic we were woefuly short on center midfield options. I looked at Villa's midfield today and with McGinn and Grealish in their ranks I thought to myself honestly that midfield is as good or better than United's.

Which brings me to my second issue which is we have a poor squad which in my opinion is weaker than it was a year ago. We've sold Fellaini and Lukaku, Herrera left on a free, and Sanchez/Smalling are out on loan. We've brought in Dan James, Maguire, and AWB. That is a net loss of 2 squad players and in the cases of Herrera and Lukaku there have been no replacements. I knew after the summer we had not getting Bruno Fernandes, Dybala, or a center forward we could be doomed this season.

Ultimately no matter who the manager is if you have a mid table squad you are going to get mid table results and this team especially in midfield is really average.

croadyman

Pogba - An excellent option but hasn't really lived up to his reputation
    McTominay - Has done well but is still new to the first team
    Matic - There were signs that he was declining towards the end of last season
    Pereira - Not a central midfielder. Especially not in a double pivot. More of a number 10 or winger
    Fred - Has shown nothing to suggest we should have signed him

That's not a great set of central midfield options is it?
    No it definitely isn't because Pogba aside that lacks creativity and is dire need of a proper holding player too.

NewGlory

He is serving those deliverys into areas where no player can get to the ball. Its not effective, what I criticize is that he does the same thing over and over and over. He doesnt look at the development of the play, today he had two chances in a counterattack that it was him alone against Villa’s defenders, and what he did? He sent a cross...there was nobody there to take advantage of it, why? Because we have no attacking patterns, its all improvised in the moment.

If you read my posts from the start of the discussion you would see that I first stated that this isn’t James fault, this is a lack of coaching problem, where James is playing with something different on his mind that Martial.

If we had any tactics then Martial would know where to run when James have the ball, wheter to attack the first post, to stay put in the box, to deviate the defender to open space, etc but what we are seeing is a total lack of cordination from our forwards, James doesn’t know where to deliver the ball because he doesnt know where Martial is going to be, and viceversa.

At the moment if the service finds a forward is pure luck.

And Im taking James as an example because he is the one that delivers the crosses while Rashford makes most of his plays trying to get inside rather than provide services. Again lack of coaching left all to players improvissing on attack and hoping for the best.
    From what I saw, he served into the areas where "no player can get to the ball" maybe 1/4 of the time. But majority of the time, Rashford and others were just too slow to move their behinds or too blind to read the game. We can't blame the kid who is playing his first EPL season and serving majority of good crosses, but say nothing about Rashford, who is playing his 5th EPL and should be much, much better. That's all I am saying.

I agree with you 100% that it's a huge coaching problem. Martial, James, and Rashford are permanent feature on the field - they should know each other's moves and should be reading each other at a blink of an eye. It is absolutely ridiculous how disconnected they are.

You also have a point that James shouldn't be a one-trick pony and that is also coaching problem.

What I sincerely don't get is - why are things so bad? I mean, FFS, Ole may lack in many things, but he was a world-class striker. He may not be able to do other things, but he can certainly coach a trio of forwards, what the hell is wrong here?

NewGlory

As much as its convenient to blame Ole for the draw today this is really down to two things more than anything else...injuries and a poor squad.

On the first issue injuries with Mctominay and Pogba out and I don't know what's going on with Matic we were woefuly short on center midfield options. I looked at Villa's midfield today and with McGinn and Grealish in their ranks I thought to myself honestly that midfield is as good or better than United's.

Which brings me to my second issue which is we have a poor squad which in my opinion is weaker than it was a year ago. We've sold Fellaini and Lukaku, Herrera left on a free, and Sanchez/Smalling are out on loan. We've brought in Dan James, Maguire, and AWB. That is a net loss of 2 squad players and in the cases of Herrera and Lukaku there have been no replacements. I knew after the summer we had not getting Bruno Fernandes, Dybala, or a center forward we could be doomed this season.

Ultimately no matter who the manager is if you have a mid table squad you are going to get mid table results and this team especially in midfield is really average.
    Oh, for crying out loud! We are talking about Aston Villa here - a team that was JUST promoted and is 15th in the league. Our squad is good enough to beat them at home, and our squad's salaries are 10x what they should be to beat AVFC. That's a lame excuse. Especially considering that we *were* beating them and then couldn't hold our advantage. And we created more goal-scoring moments, but our forwards were too disconnected to read each other and create a decent finish. These are coaching issues. Ole is NOT off the hook here.

Generally, yes - our midfield sucks and we are in big trouble in the next games with decent sides like Spurs and City, but Villa score should have been 3:1 and over. Anything else is a ridiculous feck up.

Ancient Of Days

You obviously assume they do not? (Rolls eyes to high fecking heaven).
    Articulate to me how they are directly responsible for yesterday evening's performance and result.

Try and do so without vague recycled throwaway remark about how the 'they're bleeding the club dry'' and ''woodward didn't back the manager in the summer'' after Ole was given 150 mil to play around with.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    Articulate to me how they are directly responsible for yesterday evening's performance and result.

Try and do so without vague recycled throwaway remark about how the 'they're bleeding the club dry'' and ''woodward didn't back the manager in the summer'' after Ole was given 150 mil to play around with.
    Figuring out a decent chunk of the great mysteries of life is your Monday challenge. Best of luck with it.

NewGlory

An article from the M.E.N quoting Jermaine Jenas backing up a lot of what has been mentioned about Dan James and our forwards.
    https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...l-news/man-utd-news-rashford-martial-17347462
    oh, man, this was spot on:

It is a little bit embarrassing. You have a manager on the sidelines who would probably have scored a hat-trick today in what was probably one of the worst performances he has seen from United.
    Why the hell Ole seems unable to coach the attacking three so they have some understanding of each other, is a total mystery. He may be clueless in other things, but the guy was a brilliant attacker. That part he should know like back of his hand

croadyman

This team desperately needs a good coach.
    That is so true but instead we are stuck with Carrick, Phelan and McKenna who don't look like they have a clue how to get us out of this situation while Ole continues to flounder alongside them as well.

People wonder why there hasn't been more in the press about his future, well that is because there is no toxic atmosphere and dressing unrest. We are playing absolutely shite but Ole clearly isn't saying a word to them so they are happy for him to just carry on.

Thanks so much to Woody (Toy Story) and those yankee leeches for not just destroying this club but also dividing our fanbase too, how the hell we ever recover from this I haven't got a clue.

Last edited:

Steven-UK

Sense there are some on here who were disappointed we didn't lose so they could have gone over the top with the negatives.

Through thick and thin girls and boys, through thick and thin.
    Nah, we decided not to go to the game yesterday, watching this garbage is not worth the car parking fee currently. Watched it at home, of course, but just couldn't be bothered with the dross, and the weather.

Steven-UK

Ah a Fair-weather fan eh?
    No pal, time is precious, better things to do at the moment than bore myself to death. Just an awful team to watch at the moment, the worse I have known in 30 years following. Life's short...

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.7 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 236 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Aston Villa win