Kick-off
Wed, 20 October 2021 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ..................VS...............................

Date: Wednsday, October 20 2021
    Kickoff Time: 2000 Hrs BST
    Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester

Champions League form guide

Manchester United: LW
    Atalanta: DW

Previous Meetings

N/A

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins:
    Atalanta wins:
    Draws:

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Team News

Manchester United

Raphaël Varane, Amad Diallo and Anthony Martial ruled out. Fred and Edinson Cavani doubtful.

Atalanta

Hans Hateboer, Matteo Pessina, Robin Gosens and Berat Djimsiti ruled out.

Know the opposition

Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio, commonly referred to as Atalanta (and nicknamed La Dea, Gli Orobici, and I Nerazzurri), is a professional football club based in Bergamo, Lombardy, Italy. The club plays in Serie A. Atalanta was founded on 17 October 1907 by students of the Liceo Classico Paolo Sarpi and was named after the female athlete of the same name from Greek mythology. The Italian Football Federation did not recognize Atalanta until 1914, and in 1919 announced that it would only allow one club from Bergamo to compete in the highest national league (then called the Prima Categoria). As Atalanta and Bergamasca were rivals and did not come to an agreement, admission to the Prima Categoria was decided by a playoff match; Atalanta won this match 2–0. A merger between the two clubs nevertheless occurred in 1920, forming the new club Atalanta Bergamasca di Ginnastica e Scherma 1907 (shortened to Atalanta Bergamasca Calcio) and establishing its black and blue (nerazzurri) colors.

In Italy, Atalanta is sometimes called Regina delle provinciali (queen of the provincial clubs) to mark the fact that the club is the most consistent among Italian clubs not based in a regional capital, having played 60 seasons in Serie A, 28 seasons in Serie B, and only one in Serie C. The club won the Coppa Italia in 1963 and reached the semi-finals of the Cup Winners' Cup in 1988, when it was still competing in Serie B. This is still the best ever performance by a non-first division club in a major UEFA competition (together with Cardiff City). Atalanta also participated in four seasons of the UEFA Europa League (previously known as the UEFA Cup), reaching the quarter-finals in the 1990–91 season. Atalanta additionally qualified for the UEFA Champions League three times, reaching the quarter-finals in the 2019–20 season under Gian Piero Gasperini.

The club is also famed for its youth academy, which has produced several notable talents who have played in the top leagues of Europe. Atalanta supporters have a long-standing friendship (gemellaggio; twinning) with supporters of Ternana. The friendship between the two clubs' supporters is one of the oldest and strongest in Italy, persevering since the 1980s. Atalanta supporters share their most intense rivalry with supporters of nearby club Brescia. Meetings between the two clubs are sometimes known as the Derby Lombardo (Lombard Derby). This rivalry has its roots in a historical feud between Bergamo and Brescia dating back to the Middle Ages, beginning in 1126 when Bergamo expanded its territory by acquiring land put up for sale by Brescia. In addition to Bescia, there are also strong rivalries between Atalanta and Italy's other well-supported clubs: Juventus, Roma, Milan, Inter, Turin, Napoli, and Lazio. The club plays its home matches at the 21,747-seater Gewiss Stadium.

Referee

Szymon Marciniak.​

Markolan

Supports
    AC Milan
    Atalanta have been pretty mediocre in Serie A this season and some of their key players won't be available in both matches (CB: Djimsiti, WBs: Gosens, Hateboer and their Trequartista: Pessina) but yeah, M.United need a very different attitude from what I watched today.
    At the moment I have the feeling you would struggle against any team

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
    If you thought Leicester was well coached even after their injuries, then wait for Gasperini to do his tactics. A high pressing 352 for the next 2 CL games.

We aren't surviving this.

SAFMUTD

I'm expecting a back 5 for this, always after a spanking Ole changes the formation to back 5.

Hopefully we can scrap a draw. League is lost but we can still progress in the UCL and hopefully when the new manager takes on we'll be able to compete.

BorisManUtd

Draw would be a bad result for us in terms of chances of going through group stages, but a solid one with the way we've been playing.

Yagami

Good post resistant
    Who cares?

Seasons over, seriously.
    If Ole stays, definitely.

That's the sad part. This season is still salvageable but, no, we're happy to waste yet another year despite the obvious staring us in the face.

always_hoping

The return of Fred and Mctominay to the starting team. Probably a first start of the season for Rashford. Maguire might be better in this game after his fill of grass today?

rron10

Supports
    Sir Alex
    Atalanta have been pretty mediocre in Serie A this season and some of their key players won't be available in both matches (CB: Djimsiti, WBs: Gosens, Hateboer and their Trequartista: Pessina) but yeah, M.United need a very different attitude from what I watched today.
    At the moment I have the feeling you would struggle against any team
    Well we struggle against everyone bar Leeds.

Dve

Who cares?

Seasons over, seriously.
    Valid opinion if you started watching football yesterday. Last season we were even further behind just to enter top of the league a couple of months later. Things turn quickly in football; we´ve seen it so many times, so don´t give up quite yet.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
    Valid opinion if you started watching football yesterday. Last season we were even further behind just to enter top of the league a couple of months later. Things turn quickly in football; we´ve seen it so many times, so don´t give up quite yet.
    Newsflash. We ain’t going top of anything. Liverpool, City and Chelsea are all way better than us. They also win almost every week. We haven’t won more than 2 in a row this year.

Dve

Newsflash. We ain’t going top of anything. Liverpool, City and Chelsea are all way better than us. They also win almost every week. We haven’t won more than 2 in a row this year.
    I don´t think Chelsea are good enough to challenge for the title but City and Liverpool for sure. But as I said, I´ve seen bigger turnarounds than what´s needed at United now.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
    I don´t think Chelsea are good enough to challenge for the title but City and Liverpool for sure. But as I said, I´ve seen bigger turnarounds than what´s needed at United now.
    It’ll require a new manager for starters. Depends how brave the board are I guess. We saw how well Chelsea turned it around when Tuchel came in.

buckooo1978

-------------------De Gea----------------
    AWB---Lindelof--Maguire-Shaw
    -----------------Mc Tominay-----------
    -------------Bruno---------Pogba--------
    Sancho-------Cavani---------Rashford

would be fun in parts

dpansheth

As much as it pains me, Liverpool are favorites as of now

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    At this rate we'll get completely outplayed. High press and cohesive attacking team against our ineptitude. Anyway. Hope we grind through the group stage and Ole gets sacked before the knockout stage.

redshaw

One of those games I feel we can catch on the break or get the runaround, like playing Leeds. Will be interesting if they just go for us and we can exploit it or not.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 319 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atalanta win
  • Draw