Kick-off
Wed, 20 October 2021 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Trequarista10

I'm weirdly looking forward to this game. I expect Atalanta will give us all sorts of problems but they do leave themselves exposed. Can see us winning 4-2 or something.

tomaldinho1

Very confident for tonight. People revise their expectations so quickly here - Atalanta are nowhere near an elite team. United for all our issues with style still are stacked with top players and the thing we’re best at, countering, is their Achilles heel. 3-0.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
    Supports
    Rangers
    I would like to see a clean sheet even if it means 0-0. Hopefully no keystone cops routine with the defenders and goalkeeper which has been happening far too often. I would prefer they just punt the ball up the pitch.

Last edited:

arnie_ni

If he doesn't get a result here and the weekend I'm not sure how he survives

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    Really hope we win this one, not sure how we will do it but hope we will win, because if we don t win this game, Europa League will be the only thing to hope in this group.

TBH I would try the 532 to replicate kind of their system (even if theirs is moving) but it can provide us at least less inferiority in certain areas.

--------------------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------
    -------------------Lindelof-----------Maguire--------Bailly--------------
    Wan Bissaka---------Mc Tominay------Fred----------------Shaw
    ------------------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------
    ------------------------------Ronaldo----Rashford-------------------------

Heart says 2-1 United, brain says 1-3 Atalanta.

Red00012

My prediction is 1-4 (Rashford, Muriel, Zapata, Ilicic, Koopmeiners)

Why do United will suffer 4 goals?

No balanced team, in the mid, will be McTominay-Pogba against de roon- freuler-pasalic-malinovsky (2 against 4)
    Pogba and McTominay have zero chance of starting together

Ixion

If Ole's "something has to give" is just dropping Pogba and the rest of the formation and system stays the same I'll be very disappointed.

Litch

Bit of controversy but I'd drop Bruno and play Donny or Pogs at 8. Might lose his goals but we shouldn't need them but we need someone to balance the midfield with the attack. He's been playing too far forward for a long time, and whoever plays in midfield is overloaded. McFred might not have been great but clearly shows whoever is in there, same outcome.

GregM40

Another game where the opposition are missing key players… hasn’t exactly been a good omen. Still, i’m buzzing to be going tonight either way. Hoping the “something needs to change” line means we tighten up at the back and start grinding some results out.

De Gea
    Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Scott Fred
    Bruno
    Greenwood Ronaldo Rashford

Subs: Cavani, Pogba, Sancho

United 1-0

pocco

loco
    Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
    If Atalanta just follow the established recipe of being deep, structured, hard-working and effective on the counter and/or set pieces, they have a great chance of winning the game - as do any team we play.
    They won't, they're not that sort of team from what I've read. A bit like Leeds, will play their way and go out on their sword. So we'll either get thumped or they will.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
    3 in midfield, it just has to be! And implemented properly, not like villareal where pobga and bruno were basically playing as 2nd strikers!

MUFC OK

Really hope we win this one, not sure how we will do it but hope we will win, because if we don t win this game, Europa League will be the only thing to hope in this group.

TBH I would try the 532 to replicate kind of their system (even if theirs is moving) but it can provide us at least less inferiority in certain areas.

--------------------------------------------De Gea--------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------

Dalot and Telles much better wingbacks than the other two. Shaw over Bailly.

I'd be happy with this as Atletico caused liverpool all sorts of problems with 2 up top, would be great to get the result here and bed this in.

siw2007

DDG
    AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Fred
    Greenwood Fernandes Pogba
    Ronaldo​

Doubt we will see huge changes to our set up regardless of Oles comments. I believe the Fred and McTominay partnership will come back to hopefully solidify the midfield but nothing major.

Wheato

DDG
    McTominay Fred
    Greenwood Fernandes Pogba
    Ronaldo​

Doubt we will see huge changes to our set up regardless of Oles comments. I believe the Fred and McTominay partnership will come back to hopefully solidify the midfield but nothing major.
    AWB is suspended.

Hughes35

I'd like to see:

---------------------------------------------De Gea---------------------------------------------
    AWB--------------------------Lindelof------------Maguire---------------------------Shaw
    -------------------------------------------------Matic-------------------------------------------
    -----------------------------------------Mctom------Pogba--------------------------------
    Sancho---------------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------Ronaldo

Edit - AWB is out so I'd play Dalot.

Mix things up a bit and try something different with more bodies in midfield. Greenwood and Rashford off the bench as Rashford builds fitness.

I feel sorry for Greenwood there but I'd want the pace of Sancho in that lineup.

Mike Smalling

They won't, they're not that sort of team from what I've read. A bit like Leeds, will play their way and go out on their sword. So we'll either get thumped or they will.
    Hope you are right. Any decent manager who have looked at our games would develop a very clear game plan, but of course it is more difficult to execute it, if the team is more used to playing a different way. Will be interesting to see.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
    Supports
    Rangers
    I thought it was the other way around, the 1 match changed to 2. That's much better then.
    Went from 1 to 2 to 1.lol. I thought he was banned also until I checked the BBC pre-match page.

EdinburghDevil

It's time to try 4-3-3. Bruno is going to have to play in a less advanced role. Play with 2 8's and a 6.

DDG
    Dalot Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Bruno McT Pogba
    Greenwood Ronaldo Sancho

It ain't never going to happen, but I would be using Cavani against Liverpool over Ronaldo.

Hopefully Rashford gets another 20 minutes under his belt and starts at the weekend. Shaw plays better with Rashford in front of him, no doubt.

Wheato

I've come to the realisation that this formation discussion is a moot point. Pep and Klopp move their players around all the time, and they field bang average players like Milner, Henderson or TAA who can't defend his way out of a paper bag, yet they still go out and win games.

This is a question of attitude, application and fighting for each other. If we cannot play for each other as a team, then the formation is a nonsense argument. We are still playing with an every man for himself attitude, the forwards are each going for personal glory instead of trying to set up a team mate. I don't think we've seen Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood or Sancho try and put Ronaldo in since West Ham away. This is a significant problem, because a team without disapline, a strategy, or way of playing, only creates chaos. An out of sorts display like we saw against Leicester.

We need to click fast and start playing for each other, or this season can be finished by Christmas.

I'd be happy tonight if we just managed to control a game. We haven't done that for a long time. First game of the season, maybe.

Last edited:

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Dropping Ronaldo would be madness in my opinion. He's a different breed in the CL and won us the game against Villarreal. This idea that we need a CF who presses is nonsense, he's never done that in his entire career - on top of that theres no way ole drops him.
    Agreed.
    PSG didn't drop Messi and he scored 2 last night.
    I doubt Ole will drop Ronaldo for tonight's match, but if he did, he probably wants to be fired.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
    Supports
    Rangers
    I've come to the realisation that this formation discussion is a moot point. Pep and Klopp move their players around all the time, and they field bang average players like Milner, Henderson or TAA who can't defend his way out of a paper bag, yet they still go out and win games.

This is a question of attitude, application and fighting for each other. If we cannot play for each other as a team, then the formation is a nonsense argument. We are still playing with an every man for himself attitude, the forwards are each going for personal glory instead of trying to set up a team mate. I don't think we've seen Bruno, Pogba, Greenwood or Sancho try and put Ronaldo in since West Ham away. This is a significant problem, because a team without disapline, a strategy, or way of playing, only creates chaos. An out of sorts display like we saw against Leicester.

We need to click fast and start playing for each other, or this season can be finished by Christmas.
    I agree with this. It's a team sport and Utd are not fuctioning as a unit.

A-man

I would like to see this, maybe Shaw instead of Bailly and Telles instead of Shaw.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Looking forward to this tonight, as I'm expecting a reaction from the players and maybe some big calls from the manager. Could be a back five, but in the end I have predicted the usual 4-2-3-1, expecting us to sit deeper and tighter out of possession:

DDG
    McT Fred
    Greenwood Bruno Rashford
    Ronaldo

Vaibhav Raj

You also have to wonder how much of that individualism is being promoted by the coaching staff and is now acting to the detriment of the team. I don't think Mason Greenwood always shoots or Bruno Fernandes always goes for the most ambitious of passes because they just feel like it. It is most probably the coaches who feel this is the best way to utilise the skill-set these players have and the decisions being undertaken by the players on-field are consequences of instructions given to them in training ground. Given how Ole is always stressing upon simplistic nature of football, it is quite possible that, instead of being coached on various attacking patterns, our attackers are told to always utilise the major skill-set they have.

Jaxa

I think it's time to accept this front attack of Ronaldo, Pogba, Bruno, Sancho & Greenwood is just not working right now and Ole needs to make some big calls and drop 1 or 2 of them,

For me you do not drop Ronaldo, I don't need to explain why, I also think Rashford needs to play so you need to drop Mason or Sancho and for me, i'd put Mason on the bench and Sancho out on that right with Rash on the left.

And then the Pogba & Bruno conundrum, let's face it McFred will play this game as tbh they should so one of Bruno or Pogba needs to be dropped, going on the current forum that's Bruno,

With all that in mind I want to see,

_____________De Gea______________
    AWB___Lindelof___Maguire___Shaw
    _______McTominay__Fred__________
    _
    Sancho___Pogba_____Rashford___

You then have Cavani, Bruno and Greenwood all available to bring on to freshen things up at the 65th-minute mark

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
    Supports
    Rangers
    AWB Lindy Mag Bailly Shaw
    McTom Fred
    Bruno
    Cavani Ronaldo

red4ever 79

Looking forward to this tonight, as I'm expecting a reaction from the players and maybe some big calls from the manager. Could be a back five, but in the end I have predicted the usual 4-2-3-1, expecting us to sit deeper and tighter out of possession:

DDG
    McT Fred
    Greenwood Bruno Rashford
    Ronaldo
    Been tried so many times and doesnt work. Is this the plan B.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    Knowing Ole he'll pick tomorrows team with an eye on the scouse game. He'll play ronaldo the full 90 mins and bench him for sunday in favour of cavani.
    I prefer Cavani for that game anyway. We're going to need to hit them on the counter and Cavani has a far better willingness to run than Ronaldo does.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    He isn't. The 2 match ban changed to 1. Just as well because Dalot is not a great defender.
    I still have nightmares from Villareal just walking circles around him. Guy just isn't a good player.

Real Name

We'll start strong or so it will seem. It will last 5, 10 minutes. Then Atlanta will slowly start to get hold of the game, they'll have 3 or 4 clear cut chances and eventually score. Then we'll try to equalise quickly, have a pot shot or 2 just so it seems we're trying. Half time.
    We'll somehow equalise 10 minutes into the 2nd half only to concede again due to a stupid mistake or 2. Then we'll try to score again but wont make a proper chance. Ole will make the 1st subs in 78th minute. We'll have a clear cut chance in the added time which we'll squander and we'll lose.

Ole will say he cant say anything to the boys cause they gave their all but we should have scored some of the chances we had and something has to give.

Players will write nearly the same stuff on Facebook saying we have to come back stronger.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
    We'll start strong or so it will seem. It will last 5, 10 minutes. Then Atlanta will slowly start to get hold of the game, they'll have 3 or 4 clear cut chances and eventually score. Then we'll try to equalise quickly, have a pot shot or 2 just so it seems we're trying. Half time.
    We'll somehow equalise 10 minutes into the 2nd half only to concede again due to a stupid mistake or 2. Then we'll try to score again but wont make a proper chance. Ole will make the 1st subs in 78th minute. We'll have a clear cut chance in the added time which we'll squander and we'll lose.

Ole will say he cant say anything to the boys cause they gave their all but we should have scored some of the chances we had and something has to give.

Players will write nearly the same stuff on Facebook saying we have to come back stronger.
    Nostradamus! :D

Xaviboy

We should go with 2 upfront. 4-3-1-2. Have 2 upfront play as wide forwards. Rashford/Greenwood and Ronaldo. Bruno behind the 2 and 3 in midfield. We should go with 2 upfront for all our games.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 319 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Atalanta win
  • Draw