Manchester United vs Atletico Madrid | Build-up Thread | Return leg: March 15

city-puma

Watched the highlights of their last UCL group game. I suggest everyone take a look if not done yet. They are a systematically setup of fraud, cheating, without any sportsmanship.
Totally cnut!

Elpidios

I'm actually looking forward to the match, definitely better than facing PSG again for the second year in a row.

If we can't even beat Atletico Madrid over 2 legs, do we even deserve to be in the final?

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
They're going to be a bitch of a side to play against, but this isn't the Atleti of a few years ago. They're having a poor to average season as things stand, and they can be beaten.

OmarUnited4ever

Slightly better than PSG but still very tough. They are a wily, dirty, organised, competitive side - and I think we need to pick our team carefully
Agree, hoping Varane & Cavani start that game, their experience will be key to us

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Thelongsleevesofblomqvist

Watched the highlights of their last UCL group game. I suggest everyone take a look if not done yet. They are a systematically setup of fraud, cheating, without any sportsmanship.
Totally cnut!
It always amuses me how English football fans never learn that their ethics of ”honesty” are grounded in reformist Christianity and not if people are good human beings or not. Its better to stand your ground and break a leg than to play the rules etc

Last edited:

always_hoping

Head to head:
23 Oct 1991 Atletico 3-0 Man Utd (European Cup Winners Cup)
06 Nov 1991 Man Utd 1-1 Atletico (European Cup Winners Cup)

First leg away. No away goal rule.
Hard to believe it's 30 years ago.

In the 1st leg the opening goal was a error from Schmeichel, at 1-0 Ince had a goal ruled out for offside when onside and Webb missed a sitter. Atletico then scored two late goals basically ending the tie after the first leg.

SirAnderson

I think people are over-discounting Atletico Madrid. We aren't playing them this month, we are playing them after the Winter Break.

Liverpool at this stage last season were also under-performing.
And we could be even shittier by then also.
But yes, we have no idea what we or them will look like. But we still have to fancy our chances

luck&neat

They've got at least one suspension for the first game haven't they?

Really dislike watching them play. The shithousery in next level.

RoyH1

Would have preffered PSG to be honest. Against those guys it would have been a football game, against Atletico it's a battle of attrition and Simeone is the king of shithousery, timewasting and complaining to the refs.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
Simeone’s Atletico have had hatricks scored against them on only four occasions, all four by Ronaldo.
If not for him I would be worried about this tie.

SAFMUTD

Without the away goals rule I feel much more confident, specially against Atletico.

They always play to get the 0-0 at home, get one lucky goal away and fake injuries for the rest of the game.

philipos

Why do you think it's the first week rather than the second?

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
And city still manage to get an easy draw even when it’s re done. The desperation for city to finally win the CL is mad!

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
It will be incredibly dull as they are the most boring team in Europe and we will probably play a safe first approach, but we have a chance.

LazyGoal

The last few years, every cup draw makes my feel we are that dude in the Social Distortion song Bad Luck.

CraftySoAndSo

Bring it on. Atletico of previous years would have scared me but they're out of sorts this year and look more vulnerable imo.