Kick-off
Sun, 7 August 2022 @ 2:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Dempsey19

Garnacho instead of Elanga please. That's all I ask for.

Elanga is so poor and even looked it in preseason.

Least Garnacho looked great when he got a game in preseason.

Marcus

From the interview it seems like no hard feelings with Ronnie. I think ETH is starting him.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    Dai

Dalot
    Maguire
    Varane
    Shaw

Fred
    Eriksen
    Bruno

Sancho
    Ronaldo
    Rashford

3 points at all costs

Devil may care

First game of the new season and we'll be fielding the same bunch if weak willed wasters as last season, Ten Hag isn't a miracle worker, I expect a draw.

DLE

Alternative for Docklands Light Rail
    I’ve made the decision to view this entire season as a pre-season of 23/24.
    No expectations, no hearts broken.
    Predicting a 1-1 draw.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    I’ve made the decision to view this entire season as a pre-season of 23/24.
    No expectations, no hearts broken.
    Predicting a 1-1 draw.
    Yea kind of the same with me. Like Peps first season with City. Hopefully we can make top four. Win the europa or domestic cup.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Even Ralf's team beat Brighton at home last season :nervous:

GMoore23

De Gea
    Dalot - Maguire - Lindelof - Malacia
    McTominay - Fred
    Bruno
    Sancho - Ronaldo - Rashford

Jonesno.8

Not expecting miracles but if what we've seen in preseason is anything to go by then at least you'd hope to see is a lot more energy in our game. This can only be an improvement, yes the personal is still quite the same for tomorrow at least but if EtH can get the desire and attitude in the players right then we can hope for some better performances. He has to be ruthless with anyone looking sluggish to set the tone that 100% effort and nothing less is acceptable. Be good to see Garnacho get some minutes too.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Dai

Dalot
    Maguire
    Varane
    Shaw

Fred
    Eriksen
    Bruno

Sancho
    Ronaldo
    Rashford

3 points at all costs
    That lineup lacks energy, especially out of possession. Brighton would have fun with this. We either have to be more conservative in midfield or more aggressive in defense. Ronaldo up top too is problematic in terms of defensive work high up the pitch.

MrBest

For me, Ronaldo should not start despite Martial injury. He has only had 2 weeks with the squad and did a few personal drills whilst making a video at home. I would prefer him to come off the bench, against Rayo he looked out of place. I think ETH will go with Maguire because he can switch the play to the left and bring out the ball from the back. Whilst Varane can do this, I dont think he did enough to convince ETH in pre season and there are concerns over his fitness. Midfield is the area that annoys me. How long does it take to actually sign a player there, we have been waiting for over 7 years. I dont think what we have is that good, I certainly do not want to see McFred in this new period for us, it sets off a bad precedent. My team which is:

De Gea, undisputed
    Dalot, because AWB is useless and Laird is too inexperienced
    Maguire, I dont think varane did well, I dont like Maguire but he did show he can play ETH system
    Martinez, I loved his aggression, does not need time to understand the system, just his teammates. Will be refreshing to see a new name
    Shaw, I think he will have it out with Malacia all season, maybe replace him at the end but for now, Shaw is number 1.
    Fred, in the anchor because we have no one else to do this. I would risk Garner but we didn't see much of him in pre season because of injuries and maybe needs a bit more time
    Erickson, the number 8, the creator and can do it well. Will be happy to see a new name on the sheet, we don't need a double pivot because we have inverted full backs who will move centrally and act as cover which will allow Erickson to push more upfield.
    Bruno, he's better than DVB as a number 10, looked sharp in pre season, seems to have more purpose
    Sancho, I expect big things from him this year
    Garnacho, a risk but has clear talent. ETH is not afraid to play talented youngsters and he has something special.
    Rashford, as the striker only because Martial is out and I think Ronaldo needs a few weeks to get up to speed. Coming off the bench could be beneficial for us.

The bench: heaton, varane, Laird, Mctominay, Garner, Ronaldo, amad, malacia, Pellistri

You can see how badly we lack depth when you take one look at that bench.

bucky

De Gea

Dalot - Maguire - Lisandro - Shaw

McTominay - Fred

Sancho - van de Beek - Rashford

Bruno
    Is what I think ten Hag will go for.

Anustart89

Eriksen or Bruno off the left or as false nine I reckon.

DdG
    Dalot Maguire Martinez Malacia
    McFred
    Sancho Bruno/Eriksen Rashford/Eriksen
    Rashford/Bruno

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
    Wouldn’t surprise me, ETH has said our left side of defence was a big issue last year.

Having Eriksen over McT is a big upgrade in terms of creativity and ball retention, someone we have lacked from CM for years.

Ronaldo will be our top scorer this year and I think he will show he has an all round game, he just needs to be managed in regards to minutes and when to take him off and start him.

Excited to see this team.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    DDG
    Dalot - Maguire - Martinez - Shaw
    McTominay- Fred
    Eriksen
    Bruno - Rashford - Sancho​

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    If ten Hag persists with this Maguire and Ronaldo thing his credit will run out pretty quickly if we don't get results. He's had the perfect opportunity to set his stall out from day one but if he's going to buckle at dropping Maguire and more significantly Ronaldo, who should not be in the starting XI, he'll be no different to the previous managers and just all talk.

WirralRed

Come on people, the league is about to start again, let’s get excited!

Yes, the transfers haven’t been what we’d hoped, both in and out. but, we did get the manager most of us wanted, Erickson is a fantastic addition, Sancho in a better system will be like a brand-new player same could also be said Fernandes.

Most importantly the team we all supposedly support our back playing competitive football and and I’m once again excited for this season to start getting back to old Trafford.

Red Royal

Come on people, the league is about to start again, let’s get excited!

Yes, the transfers haven’t been what we’d hoped, both in and out. but, we did get the manager most of us wanted, Erickson is a fantastic addition, Sancho in a better system will be like a brand-new player same could also be said Fernandes.

Most importantly the team we all supposedly support our back playing competitive football and and I’m once again excited for this season to start getting back to old Trafford.
    I am with you!! Too much doom and gloom we should enjoy ETH and hopefully the start of a new successful era

WirralRed

I am with you!! Too much doom and gloom we should enjoy ETH and hopefully the start of a new successful era
    Yes, there are enough threads to go in and moan about how the clubs run and transfers, admittedly rightfully so in some cases. Let’s at least try and keep the match threads free from it and just discuss the football which is why we all support the club in the first place.

Olecurls99

That team that has been leaked looks good enough to beat Brighton especially if we get a lead and can use Rashford's pace on the break.

Sancho, Bruno, Eriksen should be enough to break them down too.

WirralRed

Brighton have lost their two best players this transfer window as well, I’m not quite sure if they’ve signed anyone have any real note?

I’m excited to see more of Martinez at the back, don’t know much about him and excited to see how Eriksen Fernandes and Sancho can all link up.

JJ12

That lineup lacks energy, especially out of possession. Brighton would have fun with this. We either have to be more conservative in midfield or more aggressive in defense. Ronaldo up top too is problematic in terms of defensive work high up the pitch.
    We don’t exactly have a lot of options outside of McTominay instead of Eriksen. Elanga for Ronaldo which is a massive drop off in quality.

lenny_1248

No way PR7 starts.
    De Gea, Dalot, Maguire, Martinez, Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Sancho, Eriksen, Rashford, Bruno.

Alemar

We don’t exactly have a lot of options outside of McTominay instead of Eriksen. Elanga for Ronaldo which is a massive drop off in quality.
    This is untrue. We have many options like Iqbal, Garner and Savage - all of them may play instead of McTominay. Elanga shouldn’t make match day squad, though - Garnacho and Amad should be ahead

JJ12

This is untrue. We have many options like Iqbal, Garner and Savage - all of them may play instead of McTominay. Elanga shouldn’t make match day squad, though - Garnacho and Amad should be ahead
    Get real ffs. None of them are ready.

Lee565

______de gea
    Malacia__varane__maguire_shaw
    __________martinez_
    _____eriksen______fred
    ____elanga__rashford__sancho

Neither dalot or ronaldo should be playing if ten hag wants to stamp his authority on the team and not suffer the same fate as ragnick and ole (who was too kind for his own good).

Alemar

Get real ffs. None of them are ready.
    Pedri started to play for Barca at 17 in midfield. At 18 he played over 65 matches in a season (including indisputable starting place for Spain), and he is just 19 still. If you are good enough, you are old enough :)

JJ12

Pedri started to play for Barca at 17 in midfield. At 18 he played over 65 matches in a season (including indisputable starting place for Spain), and he is just 19 still. If you are good enough, you are old enough :)
    None of them are anywhere near that level - nothing to do with age

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    Eriksen is more likely to play off the right no? It's where he started for Spurs
    They can both play there, I think ten Hag is more likely to trust Eriksen’s ability to retain the ball and pull strings in the middle and Bruno’s industry on the right.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 404.85714285714 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brighton win
  • Draw