Kick-off
Sat, 24 October 2020 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Okey

Looking forward to us having a go at their suspect defence. I'd go for springing a surprise that rattles their defensive planning. Same line up as against PSG (Maguire in for Lindelof won't be a biggie) but with VDB in place of Martial. Sounds like a lone striker but with Bruno and VDB constantly in support from either side when we're attacking. Can change to 4-4-2 diamond later if we have control of the game.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    From Monday to Saturday we will have plenty of time to recover, so no really need to rest players.

5-2-1-2 worked well, as last year in big games, so let's go for the same formation, with more or less the same players.

Knowing that we will play Leipzig on Wed, then Arsenal on Sunday, so we can easily play 80% of the "big team"

If we win, then we will really start our season, if not it will mean that we will have a very very tough season.

---------------------------------De Gea-------------------------------
    -----------Tuanzebe------Lindelof--------Shaw-------------
    AWB------------------Pogba------Fred-------------------Telles
    ---------------------------------Bruno-----------------------------------
    ---------------------Rashford-----Greenwood-------------------

--------------------------------Werner----------------------------------
    Mount---------------------Havertz-----------------------Pulisic
    -------------------Kante-----------Jorginho-----------------------
    Chilwel------------Zouma--------T.Silva-----------------Azpi
    --------------------------------Mendy----------------------------------

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    Can’t get my head around some of the team sheets being posted here.
    1. Axel is a guaranteed starter now when fit 2. Maguire is not.
    3. Neither is Pogba
    4. 4-2-3-1 does not work for us, particularly against a top 4 rival.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Can see this ending a high score, something like a 3-2 or 4-3. Either that or both teams play very safe and it ends up something drab like 1-1.

I think Lampard will be wary and will come playing more defensive than usual, probably the 3-4-3 or 4-3-3 he likes when being more pragmatic.

I think the PSG win should give us plenty of confidence, will be interesting to see what team we field.

R77

We're obv. going to need rotation at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised or disgruntled to see the 11 from either set up (back 3, diamond, etc...) used in Paris. The players that could come in aren't exactly bad options, but resting one of McFred and Bruno means we're a rabid pitbull down. Chelsea are a young, quick team, and we'll need to match their intensity regardless of how vulnerable their defence is.

You could say similar for RBL too unfortunately, so it's a tricky one and I have no idea what to predict or expect.

bondsname

I haven't got a clue on how this match is going to play out, I have no idea what formation either.

We should probably go with 3 at the back at least because we usually struggle against the "top" teams with 4 defenders. It would be wise to rest Tuanzebe aswell even though it's very tempting to start him after his wonderful display in Paris.

Irwin99

3. Neither is Pogba
    errr, it was an extremely good and mature performance against PSG but lets wait a bit before calling him a guaranteed starter. Phil Neville absolutely hammered Patrick Vieira in one match but we wouldn't call him a guaranteed starter back then.

If Ole approaches the game with the same tactics as PSG i'm very confident United will beat Chelsea. Cede possession early on, counter quickly, score the first goal and then control the game.

westmeath

errr, it was an extremely good and mature performance against PSG but lets wait a bit before calling him a guaranteed starter. Phil Neville absolutely hammered Patrick Vieira in one match but we wouldn't call him a guaranteed starter back then.

If Ole approaches the game with the same tactics as PSG i'm very confident United will beat Chelsea. Cede possession early on, counter quickly, score the first goal and then control the game.
    Axel’s display was seismic.

I remember the Phil Neville display and he was standing in for Scholes or Keane. Axel was deputising for Harry so it’s a completely different situation.

If a newly signed CB had delivered a performance he would be considered to have cemented his place, so why not Axel?

Riz

Can see this ending a high score, something like a 3-2 or 4-3. Either that or both teams play very safe and it ends up something drab like 1-1.
    So either a high score or something drab. Cheers Michael.

NJM78

Hopefully Maguire isn't starting as we need pace at the back v Werner. Dan James cannot start either, been useless for months.

Hopefully we play 2 up with Greenwood and Rashford, I'd go Fred and McT again and play Pogba with Bruno in free roles. Telles and AWB to provide the width and we win this game 2-1, 3-1.

If Ole brings Maguire straight back in and goes with James in a 4-3-3 I think we will get beat or draw at best.

Does anyone know when we last lost 3 home league games in a row, nevermind out first three home league games?

dal

————————DDG
    AWB, Tuanzebe, Lindelof, Shaw
    ——————-—Matic
    —————-Fred——VDB
    ———————Pogba
    ———Greenwood,—Rashford

Freshen it up
    Keep it tight
    Keep it hard-working
    Keep the ball
    Play the percentages.
    Bruno, Cavani and Telles to come on and win it.

Mctominay and Bruno worked so hard, they need a rest and Fred proved last year he can just go and go.

DRM

We will need legs in midfield to keep up with Chelsea's buzzy bee attackers, so McFred is a green light. Our record at OT this season has been terrible, lets hope we finally break that jinx!

Gerald G

De Gea
    Tuanzebe--Lindelof--Shaw
    AWB--Fred--Pogba--Telles
    Bruno
    Greenwood--Rashford

or
    De Gea
    AWB--Tuanzebe--Lindelof--Shaw
    Fred--Pogba
    Bruno--VdB--Rashford
    Greenwood

subs: Henderson; Maguire, Telles; McTominay, Matic; Mata, Cavani (if not fit enough then Ighalo or James)​

Gasolin

If we believe that we don’t need to rotate, ok. Then we see if Maguire can get in and shift Lindelof right as Axel should not play again right away.

Can McFred perform? Or we try Pogba there? But as it stands Pogba replaces Fred so if we wanted to rest Scott it would be Matic. We need Fred to match Kante’s work rate. Maybe Ole will try a Fred Pogba combination.

I would put Greenwood for Martial on the left side and see if he can stay high up with Rashford.

If Chelsea plays low or something, we shift to the famous 4/2/2/2 with VdB, Cavani and for the last sub, we can decide between Matic or we try Pellestri.

Last edited:

PitTon

We need that midfielder trio no matter what formation we play. Fred Tommy and Bruno provide the balance the team need atm. Fred, even with his weaknesses plays an important role in our team imo and three of them I hope can be and should be fit enough for this match.

Ole won't start Greenwood Im afraid, but he should be a good option from the bench. That leaves James for one of the spot up front whether we play 4 or 5 at the back.

I prefer the same 5212 formation with Harry in for Tuanzebe as he isn't able to play his second match so soon and James for Martial as pace is important playing up front with this formation.

Otherwise I would like to see Mata again if Ole decides to play other formations.

These 4 matches starting with PSG are exciting to see how Ole, his staff guide our team against big teams with different formations and tactics. It seems they have had all planned and players know which match they start. Rashford in post PSG match said some things like different match different tactic so let's see.

Strelok

We're obv. going to need rotation at some point, but I wouldn't be surprised or disgruntled to see the 11 from either set up (back 3, diamond, etc...) used in Paris. The players that could come in aren't exactly bad options, but resting one of McFred and Bruno means we're a rabid pitbull down. Chelsea are a young, quick team, and we'll need to match their intensity regardless of how vulnerable their defence is.

You could say similar for RBL too unfortunately, so it's a tricky one and I have no idea what to predict or expect.
    Agreed.

They have a lot of super quick and flair players. Whatever the formation playing the likes of Matic, Maguire, Pogba won't help imo. And we should play with a counter attack approach. Their defence is basically shite.

Lampard seems obssesed with dominating whoever the opponent. They remind me a lot of the old Arsenal under Wenger. Let them have the ball and punish them with our lightening counters :devil:

Houdini

3. Neither is Pogba
    Axel won't be a starter after one good game. Not against Chelsea. We will see Maguire.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Agreed.

They have a lot of super quick and flair players. Whatever the formation playing the likes of Matic, Maguire, Pogba won't help imo. And we should play with a counter attack approach. Their defence is basically shite.

Lampard seems obssesed with dominating whoever the opponent. They remind me a lot of the old Arsenal under Wenger. Let them have the ball and punish them with our lightening counters :devil:
    Don't know what Southampton played but from what I saw on MOTD they were well organised and played the same way they did at OT the back end of last season.

That's the key here, keep possession and no sloppy giving the ball away, work hard then feed our strikers

Strelok

Don't know what Southampton played but from what I saw on MOTD they were well organised and played the same way they did at OT the back end of last season.

That's the key here, keep possession and no sloppy giving the ball away, work hard then feed our strikers
    Depends if he's recovered. A dodgy legged Maguire up against Werner et al doesn't make sense
    I didn't watch that match either but from the highlights yeah sure thing you shouldn't play a slow CB against Werner.

wolvored

Axel’s display was seismic.

I remember the Phil Neville display and he was standing in for Scholes or Keane. Axel was deputising for Harry so it’s a completely different situation.

If a newly signed CB had delivered a performance he would be considered to have cemented his place, so why not Axel?
    Ole spent 80 mill on Maguire and made him captain. If fit he's not dropping him. Tuanzebe could come in for lindelof but doubt Ole will drop him as well. Unless we play 3 at the back then he will be on the bench

Jacob

First real test for Ole. Will be interesting to see his CB selection

Jaxa

This game is massive, more important than the PSG match imo, to lose this would be 3 losses in the first 5 games and we'd be 5 points behind chelsea with a game in hand and it would take the sparkle and shine right off winning against PSG,

However win this , we are a point ahead of Chelsea with a game in hand, confidence will be sky high and life looks a little rosier and i think it would put us in a great position to go ahead and beat both Leipzig and Arse.

Nervous for the game, i never like to underestimate Chelsea, because similar to us you don't know what you will be up against, they are either fantastic or shite, but they will 100% up there game against us.

Deery

Dreary
    Stick Rashford on Thiago and watch him burn the 36 years old legs clean off..

4-1 United

CG1010

Knowing Ole, there is no way Lindelof doesn't play this one.. most likely he will reward the entire team who played against PSG with a start with obviously either Greenwood or Cavani replacing Martial. However, I hope he makes 1-2 changes in the midfield to keep things fresh. 3 starts in succession for Fred and Mctominay would probably be too much in a space of a week.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
    It's a big game by club stature and United really need to replicate the performance at PSG. If we do that then we'll probably win.
    But a not much time ago we were massacred by Spurs.

I say play the same team obvs replace Martial for Cavani. Pogba on the bench and Mason dropped to teach him a lesson.

westmeath

Chelsea are very weak in centre of defence. Whatever formation we play, we need Rashford running at them in that inside right channel.

3-5-2 allows us play Rashford and Greenwood through the middle and if Bruno has his passing boots on, Chelsea defence will shit itself.

ForeverRed1

This won’t be easy. Chelsea will raise games against us. Going to be up for it. Can go either way. :nervous: Going to be the most nervous I have been during a game in a long time!

crossy1686

career ending
    Frank Lampard is that kid who gets his parent's credit card to buy FIFA points but is still shit at the game.

I think we'll hammer these after the embarrassment of Tottenham.

Ibi Dreams

Really don't know why we'd change what we did against PSG. Those players deserve to keep their places and the formation looked very solid and balanced

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    10:02KEY EVENT
    First question
    The first question is about the Chelsea game and it’s importance:
    “Of course, it’s very important, players if you lose games you’re determined to win, to bounce back I saw that focus at Newcastle and after you beat PSG gives you more belief and confidence, two good performances and results but next game and that’s what we’re focused on.
    It’s like many of us, some very good games, some lesser performances, football is just settling now and getting into their shape, we know it’s gonna be a tough game against Chelsea, maybe four or five last year, two teams that know each other really well.”

DomesticTadpole

10:04
    Solskjaer on Van de Beek chances
    “Donny’s fit enough but of course it’s competition for places, it’s giving him time to settle in and adjust to his new teammates, it’s a new league.
    “he’s an absolutely top footballer and personality, so humble and hard-working but also, of course, eager to play more. You’ll see him throughout the season, it’s going to be a long, long season and he’s impressed me. You’ll see him.”

DomesticTadpole

10:06
    On Greenwood
    Nothing but praise for Mason Greenwood despite recent reports:
    “We have a great record and tradition of bringing our players through, that means from early on you get good habits, you express yourselves, Mason’s come through this programme, done fantastic and will be kicking on I’m sure, he’s a very exciting boy to work with.
    “You do [make a target for yourself] when you play well and I’m not concerned at all with Mason making a target for himself. H he came in, played fantastic, he made his first start against Tottenham last season, was brilliant, kicked on.
    “He made a mistake for England and suddenly English press go after him.
    “I have to disappoint you... he’s never ever late for training. I’ve seen some ex United players talking about him and they don’t know what they’re talking about and they can see every day. I don’t know where these stories have come from.
    “He’s got a good family behind him, academy and he’s a good trainer and I cannot believe all these stories about him not being professional, that’s something we have to deal with many players, many other players at United have had that.”

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw