Not open for further replies.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    Ddg
    Awb Maguire Tuanzebe Shaw
    Fred McT VDB or Pogba
    Bruno
    Cavani Rashford

our squad is finally starting to look like we have strong options again and a few of the lads are hitting form. I’m much more confident after tonight and Saturday. Chelsea haven’t looked totally convincing so far but I’m sure they’ll still give us a tough match. I’m thinking 2-1 3-2 to us.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
    .......................DDG
    WanB Maguire Lindelof Telles
    .....................Fred
    ..........deBeek.......pogba
    .....................Bruno
    Greenwood .............Rashford

subs: Matic mata cavani

massive issue with this is that is 3 games in 8 days for Bruno and Rashford (plus their international duties before that)

RashyForPM

Pogba’s pulled his finger out coming off the bench these last two games after getting dropped. I’d start him, the man has immense quality. Enables us to continue with the 3-4-1-2 as well, as he’ll be backed up by three CB’s. I wouldn’t play Matic with him though, as he’s immobile and doesn’t play well with Pogba, and Fred was sensational last night going by what people are saying (couldn’t watch unfortunately :().

De Gea
    Lindelof—Maguire—Shaw
    AWB—Fred—Pogba—Telles
    Bruno
    Greenwood—Rashford
    Prediction: 8-0 United!

Marcus

As tempting as it is to start the same team (bar Martial), I think Ole should be brave and use the squad if any of the players are anything less than 100%. Sir Alex was criticised for being Tinkerbell, but because we used the whole squad, United always finished the season strongly.

hungrywing

Does mata have the legs to play the Bruno role?
    Love him but one has to suspect no.

As tempting as it is to start the same team (bar Martial), I think Ole should be brave and use the squad if any of the players are anything less than 100%. Sir Alex was criticised for being Tinkerbell, but because we used the whole squad, United always finished the season strongly.
    When he did that, he was so good at calculating how strong a side had to be to just get the three points; rest players, get the squad players their minutes to keep them ticking over.

It's something that I think and hope Ole's going to try to do now that he has the players to rotate.

Last edited:

Gasolin

I think he went for back 3 today given we had Tuanzebe in there after 10 months. On Saturday, he might go for a diamond. And I believe (A) we don't need to risk rushing Maguire back if Axel is available, who could do with a nice run in the team and (B) Rashford may need a little rest (bring him on late against Chelsea)

DDG
    AWB Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw
    Fred
    McTominay Pogba
    Fernandes
    Greenwood Cavani​
    We need to rest Fred and/or Scott. But Fred for sure. Fernandes too ideally, even though he's the captain, unless he's made of steel.
    I am sure Ole will come up with something but the point is, we need to rest a bit.

croadyman

I'm worried we'll see Paris Heroes turn into Manchester Zeroes. We've had too many false dawns. I'd go for the same line-up but with Greenwood instead of Martial.

Mata has also earned a place based on last week but him being featured would depend on the formation.
    Yeah we simply have to back up this Paris win better than we did the last one

cptkeane1993

Chelsea are a tough team to beat. Other than the Liverpool game where they lost the game after the sending off, they’ve not lost all season and scored 20 goals in 8 games, i.e. the attackers won’t be short of confidence. Plus their beating/outplaying us in the last game in the FA Cup semi’s will give them a mental edge.

We have to get it absolutely spot on again. Ole has to look the players in the eye and see who’s up for it and who’s letting standards slip after two good wins.

Three days’ break in between means Ole has to go with his strongest XI based on formation/tactics. We don’t have the luxury to rest, not yet. Our players are just starting to get match fitness and sharpness.

Need the win. We’ve dropped 6 points already which is far too much at this stage of the campaign.

Last edited:

treble_winner

We have to get it absolutely spot on again. Ole has to look the players in the eye and see who’s up for it and who’s letting standards slip after two good wins.
    I can imagine Lingard, Pogba... wearing sunglasses and be like: "Yo, boss. Aren't these glasses cool?" :lol:

Marcus

Love him but one has to suspect no.

When he did that, he was so good at calculating how strong a side had to be to just get the three points; rest players, get the squad players their minutes to keep them ticking over.

It's something that I think and hope Ole's going to try to do now that he has the players to rotate.
    Yup he was a master at this. I hope that Ole can attain this level of proficiency. :keano:

Dante

Average bang
    De Gea
    Axel - Lindelof - Shaw
    AWB - Fred - McTominay - Telles
    Pogba - Bruno
    Rashford​
    I don't hate that formation. But we've never seen Rashford isolated as the lone centreforward before. He's usually only ever played there as part of a 3 or a 2. I'm not sure it'll suit his game because his hold up play is one of biggest weaknesses.

But I wouldn't complain if Ole thought it could work.

Skåre Willoch

Dave
    I'd like to see this if Shaw and Maguire are out.

I agree with this. If Maguire's fit, swap him with Lindelöf. I want to see Greenwood instead of Mata as well, but that might be just the sub we need after 65 minutes or so, with Cavani and DVB seeing game time as well.

Highfather_24

--------------------DDG
    AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Shaw
    -----------VdB----------Matic
    --Mata--------Pogba---Rashford
    --------------Greenwood

Rest Fred, McT and Bruno. Give Mata, Pogba and VdB a chance. We have Leipzig and Arsenal coming up as well.

Monks_United

I'd go with the 3-5-2 approach again. They are vulnerable with balls into the box and having Telles deliver those crosses could be a great opportunity specially since I'm not sure Silva can play this match soon after the midweek CL clash. Would be useful to go with Matic and Pogba in the midfield instead of Fred and Scott who should be given a bit of a breather. Also, Pogba getting into the box and attacking those crosses from Telles could give us a lot of joy. Rashford and Mason up front. Back three of Shaw, Maguire and Lidelof.

hungrywing

Yup he was a master at this. I hope that Ole can attain this level of proficiency. :keano:
    Fingers crossed.

If I ever got the chance to speak to him (SAF), that and the 'just how much in detail did you and the staff map out the players' minutes' are the top two questions I'd ask.

lenny_1248

----------------------------De Gea--------
    -------Tuanzebe-----Lindelof------Shaw------
    AWB-----------Matic-------------Fred-----Telles------
    ----------------------------Pogba---------------------
    ------Bruno---------------------------Rashford------

OleBoiii

It's going to be a cracking game. Chelsea will be hungry after two draws in a row. Especially because of the embarrassment against Southampton.

Trex

I'll go with the diamond we saw in the second half, it would be ultra defensive to go with the back three against Chelsea with the quality we possess they don't have a Neymar or Mbappe

De gea
    Awb Tuanzebe Lindelof Shaw
    Fred Mctominay Pogba
    Bruno
    Cavani Rashford

Sub:Henderson, Maguire, Telles,Matic,Vdb,Mata,Greenwood

That midfield is a mix of both creativity and steel

WeePat

Supports
    Chelsea
    I'm dreading this a bit, but I don't know why. It's early in the season, the outcome won't do a lot to determine what happens this season and both teams will likely continue to be inconsistent in the weeks ahead, as will the rest of the league.

Heart says 3-1 Chelsea. Head says 1-1.

AneRu

I would still want us to go with a 3-5-2 with a 3 men midfield of Scot, Bruno and Fred because that midfield can outwork anyone in the league bar Liverpool.

-------------------------------De Gea
    -----------Tuanzebe------Lindelof-----Shaw
    AWB--------McTominay-----Fred------Telles
    -----------------------Bruno
    -----------Mata----------------Rashford

If either of Greenwood or Cavani are ready to start then one comes in for Mata but overall I think Mata's technique, brain and vision is a perfect foil for Rashford's dynamism. Defend deep, outwork them in midfield and tear them into pieces on the break.

Adcuth

I don't doubt that we'll play the same as last night against Leipzig so it Would Make sense to keep that formation for the Chelsea and arsenal games too. We could rotate Donny in for Mctominay I think and still be steady in the midfield. Plus Donny would pick Chelsea apart. Rashfords pace will annihilate Thiago Silva. Pogba can rate with Bruno and we won't lose much creativity. Cavani, Greenwood even Pellistri are all bench options

Devil may care

Do you reckon Axel only stays in if Maguire is still out
    Unfortunately yes as Lindelof played well last night and I think Ole will stick with the senior partnership.

I agree with this. If Maguire's fit, swap him with Lindelöf. I want to see Greenwood instead of Mata as well, but that might be just the sub we need after 65 minutes or so, with Cavani and DVB seeing game time as well.
    I just think after the performance against Newcastle and not seeing a second of game time yesterday, Ole will start Mata, but I wouldn't be upset if he started Mason.

Why do you think Shaw will be out?
    He was holding the back of his leg near the end of the game, hopefully it was just cramp but if he has felt a bit of a muscle pull then we should rest him as we have another option now.

Deery

Dreary
    Cavani can play in this match can’t he, would be great to see him bag the winner considering how much Chelsea have spent on players.

CG1010

Suddenly we have a few squad options, isn't it.

At the end of the season, our top XI picked itself with not many squad options beyond the midfield. But for this game, absolutely un-droppable now are only 4: Bruno, Rashford, AWB, DDG

If Maguire is injured, then Lindelof and Axel also pick themselves up.

We have some choices for the midfield, left back and attacking position which is great to see.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
    Are you guys using some Random Midfield Generator or what? I've seen some posts without Bruno, or with Pogba and VdB in midfield, what the hell.

MikeKing

Supports
    Bournemouth
    De Gea
    AWB-Tuanzebe-Maguire-Telles
    Fred-Matic-VdB
    Bruno
    Greenwood-Rashford​

croadyman

De Gea
    AWB-Tuanzebe-Maguire-Telles
    Fred-Matic-VdB
    Bruno
    Greenwood-Rashford​
    Do like that team but would be very surprised if Ole decides to experiment with that partnership in a game this big

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw