Kick-off
Sat, 24 October 2020 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    10:09
    10 in row away from home?
    “I disagree with the 10 in a row because we lost to Chelsea and Sevilla, but neutral [venues], okay.
    “We need to address the home form, look at the way we prepare, maybe something I’ve got to deal with, the whole lockdown period has made us do things differently at home so we might have to do it in a different way.”

DomesticTadpole

10:10
    Team news - Maguire, Greenwood and Cavani
    They are all available, says Solskjaer.
    “I hope and expect all three of them to be available for selection. Of course we’ve got a training session this morning which is the last chance of preparation, but they’ve all got a chance, all of them.
    “Edinson needs to tick all the boxes that he’s gone through in his programme to be ready and make an impact. I’ll have a discussion with him today, as well as with Mason and Harry.”

DomesticTadpole

10:12
    6-1 memory wiped away?
    “I don’t think anything will erase that memory, it’ll always be in the history books and we have always got to live with having that result, you can look back at different reasons why we had that result but we have got to move forward.
    “It’s happened so many times at this club that you have results out of the blue or setbacks, so far we have bounced back well. “

DomesticTadpole

10:14
    Solskjaer on Tuanzebe
    “It was a great performance by a kid who’s not played for 10 months, delighted for him, such a professional character, he wants everything, he works really hard, been really really thorough in rehab.
    “I’m very pleased for him. Now it’s about getting consistency in his performances, he’s got to stay injury-free but I think he can kick on, he’s a leader, can play right-back, centre-back, midfield, he’s a boy who takes responsibility for his own development and he’s doing everything he can have to have a long career at United and get that consistency.”

Impossible to predict this one, though we do tend to have their number recently.

Results are entirely up to us though at the moment, opposition teams and tactics don't have a huge amount to do with it. We are capable of beating or losing to anybody in world football and it's totally unpredictable and dependent on what team turns up. At home, against Chelsea, it's not in our favour. I don't expect a close game, either we play very well and dominate them, or we do our disappearing act and get thrashed.

hubbuh

Would sticking with the same approach be too defensive? Chelsea are vulnerable at the back but we looked extremely solid against PSG. I really want Tuanzebe in defence and Fred and McTominay in midfield. We could also very well see Pogba, VDB and Greenwood/Cavani all come off from the bench. Not bad that! Although if Greenwood/Cavani come on as subs we'd likely be chasing the game.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
    Of course we would face Chelsea when Werner starts getting into form ...
    He's a threat but very much in the same vain as Jamie Vardy, pace merchant who hurts you if you leave lots of space in behind but he's otherwise pretty lacking. I wouldn't be overly concerned unless we set up tactically badly.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
    This will be a decent test of progress. PSG and Newcastle didn't tell us that much, but I hope this will.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Of course we would face Chelsea when Werner starts getting into form ...
    In fairness, they're probably cursing playing us after we just drilled Newcastle ans beat last year's champs league finalists away. And unlike the other season massively deservedly

Matriac

De Gea
    AWB Maguire Lindelöf Telles
    Pogba Matic/McT
    Mata Fernandes Rashford
    Greenwood​

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    I really don't see the need to go back to the 4231. The PSG game showed that 352 makes us more solid and also no worse offensively. We gave PSG just as many problems as they gave us, probably more.

If it's not broken don't fix it. 352 all the way but with a good amount of freedom for certain players to roam around I'd say. Bruno for example.

Skeezix

Cautiously optimistic about this game. Every time we are too confident about a game, we are often knocked down a peg or two.

Better be cautious and focused than be overconfident and have a melt down. C'mon United!
    OleStrat >>>> LampardBall

Matriac

Any reason for dropping Fred?
    No good reason other than it only being 11 places in a squad. Fred is excellent and we'll have many opportunities to start him this season. But Chelsea is shaky these days and I want Pogba to start as a playmaker instead of us being more defensive minded like the PSG game. Thus I think Matic or McT (depending on form) is a better fit next to Pogba. But I don't see it as unlikely that we bring Fred on during the game for his energy.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    My mind says it will be a draw since we don't have Martial. I think Martial & Rashford are compliment each other, one is to hold the ball while the other one is a runner. And Chelsea has no injury means they will play full strength.

But my heart says we will win since we are on form in our last two games while Chelsea is off form in their last two games. I didn't expect them to get 0-0 draw against Sevilla without their best centre back and I my heart tells me that the on form team will get the 3 points against the off form team.

I don't know what is Ole going to do on this. I think he will go 3 at the back like this:

DDG
    Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw
    Bissaka Scott Fred Telles
    Bruno
    Greenwood Rashford

Dean Lindelof Matic Pogba Donny Mata Cavani
    And if the score still draw he will make that tactical 442 diamond change and we score the winning goal with 2-1.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
    This team is killing me. It lifts my morale and put it down with every match. Now i am sure that this will be smashing. Clean 3-0.
    But not if Ole reverts to 4231. Please ffs, play diamond or 352.
    No more playing with wingers with squad that don't have wingers. Give us Fred-VDB, Pogba- Bruno midfield.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    I would quite like to see a continuation of the formation from the PSG match. With Greenwood coming in for Martial (if he's fit enough) and possibly VdB for Fred.

The 433 would open us up on the left where they are quite dangerous with Werner's runs.

As ever, the midfield battle will be enormously important, which is why it has been great to see the workhorse midfield function so well amongst the more gifted attacking players.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    My mind says it will be a draw since we don't have Martial. I think Martial & Rashford are compliment each other, one is to hold the ball while the other one is a runner. And Chelsea has no injury means they will play full strength.

But my heart says we will win since we are on form in our last two games while Chelsea is off form in their last two games. I didn't expect them to get 0-0 draw against Sevilla without their best centre back and I my heart tells me that the on form team will get the 3 points against the off form team.

I don't know what is Ole going to do on this. I think he will go 3 at the back like this:

DDG
    Tuanzebe Maguire Shaw
    Bissaka Scott Fred Telles
    Bruno
    Greenwood Rashford

Dean Lindelof Matic Pogba Donny Mata Cavani
    And if the score still draw he will make that tactical 442 diamond change and we score the winning goal with 2-1.
    Sensible line-up I like this. Part of me feels we need Mata on the pitch, simply because we are a better side with him but not sure where he fits.

el3mel

Think we'll see similar lineup to PSG one except for Greenwood in for Martial.

Confident about this one. 2-0 for us.

MrSingh2002

De Gea
    AWB Tuanzebe Lindelof Telles
    Pogba Matic VdB
    Fernandes
    Martial Rashford

Henderson
    Shaw
    Maguire
    Fred
    McTominay
    Mata
    Greenwood
    Cavani

Bench is looking alot better these days.

Smores

Impossible to predict this one. Two teams that have huge variances in performance from game to game.

I think we're favourites but then i think that's just bias showing through.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Sensible line-up I like this. Part of me feels we need Mata on the pitch, simply because we are a better side with him but not sure where he fits.
    But then again, I won't be surprised if Ole decide to pull an unexpected line up and play Pogba instead of Greenwood which will make 3421 with Pogba & Bruno behind Rashford.

Last edited:

cyberman

Impossible to predict this one. Two teams that have huge variances in performance from game to game.

I think we're favourites but then i think that's just bias showing through.
    We have been consistent for a long time now?

Dembeza

No good reason other than it only being 11 places in a squad. Fred is excellent and we'll have many opportunities to start him this season. But Chelsea is shaky these days and I want Pogba to start as a playmaker instead of us being more defensive minded like the PSG game. Thus I think Matic or McT (depending on form) is a better fit next to Pogba. But I don't see it as unlikely that we bring Fred on during the game for his energy.
    I agree with you on needing a player maker, my worry is that Matic and Pogba will be overran and we will lose our shape. For such games we will need to match Chelsea’s energy and out perform them.

The idea of keeping the game close and then bringing Pogba + Cavani later on the match tilts the game to our favor.

cptkeane1993

I really don't see the need to go back to the 4231. The PSG game showed that 352 makes us more solid and also no worse offensively. We gave PSG just as many problems as they gave us, probably more.

If it's not broken don't fix it. 352 all the way but with a good amount of freedom for certain players to roam around I'd say. Bruno for example.
    Absolutely.

Some teams go with the 3-5-2 and park the bus. That's when it becomes a defensive /conservative formation.

We don't - we continue to attack and play the same way. It's 2 forwards and 3 CB's instead of the other way around (in a 4-2-3-1). Given our defensive woes at the start of this season plus lack of fit and firing forwards currently, makes sense to continue with 3 at the back and 2 forwards.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw