Kick-off
Sat, 24 October 2020 @ 5:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Hammondo

He was good against Brightons rotated team and against Newcastle. Chelsea is more than a few levels above that, and for years Mata has shown he can't cut it in those games now.
    James as well. Its a dumb lineup to start them when you have the options we do. These should be left exclusively for the easy games.
    What options are better though really? Aside from the back 4 I think this is the best we could do.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    This Chelsea side ain't all that great, keep Werner quiet and they are a dud imo.
    They aren't great. They are far better than Brightons backups or Newcastle though. Those games it is fine to play Mata and Dan James. Not these!

Oo0AahCantona

I've been so positive the last couple of weeks, but my heart actually sinks when i see james start.

GlasgowCeltic

As has been pointed out, the line up against PSG was simialrly slated. Let's see how the game turns out eh? Gotta trust the manager and team have a plan here.
    The PSG lineup and tactics were spot on (I said so before the game), this lineup is a demonstration of the abject failure of the summer window, so hopefully his tactics are spot on again

owlo

James shouldn't be at the club. I don't hate the lad, but he's just not cut out for it. Same as I wouldn't want Usain Bolt on the team, though I like him.

Ps. What a trash team.

ps2: The rivers near me are rather cold at this time of year. If anybody knows of a high quality one to visit, could they let me know.

bosnian_red

What options are better though really? Aside from the back 4 I think this is the best we could do.
    How? We have Pogba, Van de Beek, Greenwood on the bench. Telles not in the squad. Going to a 352 would be far better than using one of Mata or James, against Newcastle. Its just asking for trouble, what, because 2 players we know aren't good enough put in acceptable performances against relegation standard teams? We didn't even control the Newcastle game until James came off ffs.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
    James is going to score today, I can feel it now. The caf is always wrong.

Zen86

It makes sense from a tactical perspective and they're in good form, I'm just a little concerned about them burning out. Ole has a habit overplaying his current favourite players as we saw at the tail end of last season.

And James ahead of Greenwood (who is apparently over his injury) is a strange choice.
    True, there’ll be plenty of opportunities to rest them though once we’re through this run of tough games. I’d rather have seen Greenwood start, but I understand not throwing him straight into the mix for this.

Ranchero

James shouldn't be at the club. I don't hate the lad, but he's just not cut out for it. Same as I wouldn't want Usain Bolt on the team, though I like him.

ps: The rivers near me are rather cold at this time of year. If anybody knows of a high quality one to visit, could they let me know.
    Don't need negativity right now. Ride the wave of the high.

HowYouDoin

The PSG lineup and tactics were spot on (I said so before the game), this lineup is a demonstration of the abject failure of the summer window, so hopefully his tactics are spot on again
    I disagree with your premise there. Our bench is ridiculously good. Its just a bad line up. Nothing to do with the transfer window.
    But anywho silver lining, we should have our best team on the pitch in the 2nd half.

pav1790

looks like you got some issues below the belt..good luck with that and enjoy the game.
    My dear fellow, it is grand of you to show this sort of concern for a stranger on the internet! You will be overjoyed to know that all is indeed well with my nether regions.

I will take your wishes for good luck in the cheerful spirit they were intended, and while I had always hoped to enjoy the game, your blessing will make the game doubly enjoyable. The world needs more gentle souls like yourself.

And what a bright, lovely would that would be!

Redlyn

I am sorry but what has James shown to be able to start with all the players we've got? I hope he justifies his spot with good counters and width.

We have the magical midfield triad so at least the foundation is there from which to build our play.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
    Would’ve liked to see us stick closer to the team that beat PSG. Chelsea pose a similar type of threat with a pacey and skilful attack but defensive frailties, and I think the same system would basically work as we saw midweek.

hopefully McFred do a good enough job of stifling the midfield and stopping the ball from getting to Werner and Pulisic. Hopefully. Up front, I’m not sure that Mata and James are who we should be relying on here.

Not feeling confident about this one right now, but fingers crossed!

Hammondo

How? We have Pogba, Van de Beek, Greenwood on the bench. Telles not in the squad. Going to a 352 would be far better than using one of Mata or James, against Newcastle. Its just asking for trouble, what, because 2 players we know aren't good enough put in acceptable performances against relegation standard teams? We didn't even control the Newcastle game until James came off ffs.
    I agree with Greenwood but the other 2 have not proven themselves at all. I do not think we want to be so defensive and play a 3-5-2, I think we want more balance. The back 4 are a worry but the rest are fine.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Nothing against James. He's just not been cutting it recently.
    That’s fair, although I’d say he did a bit better against Newcastle than he did toward the back end of last season when Ole kept sticking with him. It’s throwing it down right now so maybe he’s just thinking he’ll be able to use his pace to get away from defenders.

Hammondo

I agree, he has been great. But I don't think this is the game for him. But let's see.
    It is possible. It is a bit intense and so he might be unable to get into the game properly. Let's see what Oles plan is.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    Not confident with James and Mata.

Come half seven, this place will light up again i feel.

croadyman

No telles is interesting simply because he has a very good cross on him that could cause problems against a Chelsea defence that cannot really defend.
    Yeah that is the most baffling bit for me

AndyMUFC

Shouldn't be too surprising with Martial suspended. Plenty of options on the bench for sure and there's a definite improvement there when you consider some of our benches last season.

McTominay/Fred/Bruno absolutely should be our first choice midfield right now in a game like this. Pogba will be more effective as a super sub.

Hammondo

As opposed to James' useless pace.
    Hes not a good player, but pace is important. I would 100 percent agree with Greenwood over James though. Honestly Pogba doesn't give much in a central position, putting him wide is only going to make him worse and provide endless excuses for him.

bosnian_red

When was the last time he played in one of them?
    Not sure, probably because we realized for a time that he shouldn't be used unless its against lower opposition where he'll have time on the ball after repeated poor performances against any non shit team?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 286 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Chelsea win
  • Draw