Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
    I expect;
    Romero- AWB, Maguire, Lindelof, Williams- Pereira, McTominay- Greenwood, Lingard, James- Martial.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
    I will bet any of you posters that both Lingard and Pereira are not going to start this game. Ole has eyes and he's seen them being very poor in the first leg. This is a knockout game and we will go with a strong side. Time for rotation will be against Bristol and Lingard can start that game.
    This is an excellent idea, tell Lingard we're playing in Bristol and he can go there on his own, while we beat Derby.

Cantonagotmehere

I'm probably being a wimp, but I think the chances of finishing 4/5 are much higher than winning this tournament. I am all for rotation even after the 1-1 draw. Can't believe its on only the round of 32 right now.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    I'm probably being a wimp, but I think the chances of finishing 4/5 are much higher than winning this tournament. I am all for rotation even after the 1-1 draw. Can't believe its on only the round of 32 right now.
    You're not wrong tbh. We're 3 points behind over taking Chelsea in 4th, keeping up with them will be easier than trying to beat several good European teams. We could end up trying to get both and end up with neither. It's not like we have a good enough squad to cover both competitions either.

onemanarmy

Vormer, the club captain is injured for the game on Thursday, as is Dennis, the guy who scored in the first game.

Zlatattack

I think a rotated B team ought to be enough to win this. We should try to win the Europa this year, we need to continue a culture of winning. Cup competitions help maintain that during lean times in the league.

Alabaster Codify7

Expecting a drab but comfortable win especially with those two players confirmed as missing. One of those 2 chances, 2 goals type games but anything will do as long as we progress with no injuries.

Wing Attack Plan R

Choices! Now that we are back in contention for the Champions League spaces, what to do? We basically have one more midfielder and one more defender available from where we were a month ago. The squad is still paper thin.

I would expect Ole to set us defensively with an eye towards countering. If we keep them from scoring we go through, so I'd think Ole wouldn't risk playing open.

Other than Romeo and Maguire, every other spot is a mystery.

But we are going to win, 2-0!

Class of 63

Sourness
    Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
    If they score first we're almost certainly going out, and i'd say that whoever the Manager was, or however strong the squad was, so anybody expecting us to try and put the tie to bed early so we can rest players around the hour mark is going to be disappointed.

They will have a noisy support backing them and if they get a foothold in the match it could be a very long very nervy night.

Saying that I think we'll win 2-0(3-1), but it won't go down as one of the classics, though when we lift the trophy come May in Gdańsk nobody will care, they might moan, but they won't care.

Gerald G

Romero
    Dalot--Bailly--Maguire--Williams
    McTominay--Fred
    Mata--Pereira--Chong
    Ighalo

Subs: De Gea; AWB, Lindelof; Matic, Bruno; Martial, Greenwood

I wouldn't have rotated like this but they're missing Dennis!
    Very risky but f it!​

always_hoping

Brugge have lost Dennis to injury but Krepin Diatta who missed the 1st leg is back from injury. A more than decent replacement with a simliar goal scoring record this season.

Ruud Vomer only came on as a sub last week, perhaps he was already carrying a knock?

Marcelinho87

Taking my young lad to this so hope for a decent lineup.

On a side note is the Lowry still decent for match day parking these days?

Odin

Let's get a couple goals up and then take off the Everton starters such as Bruno, Martial, and Fred:

De gea
    AWB Bailly Maguire Shaw
    McT Fred
    Bruno
    Greenwood Martial James
    Second this. Tad bit unsure if we should throw McT in there already, depending on whether we want to start him or Matic in the weekend. Hopefully we're up by two around half-time, giving Martial a 30-45 min break and putting Ighalo on to get his first ball in the net for us.

theklr

Second this. Tad bit unsure if we should throw McT in there already, depending on whether we want to start him or Matic in the weekend. Hopefully we're up by two around half-time, giving Martial a 30-45 min break and putting Ighalo on to get his first ball in the net for us.
    Would rather wait with McT , but I think if Matic play another game now he would be totally shot for Everton.

Gasolin

You're not wrong tbh. We're 3 points behind over taking Chelsea in 4th, keeping up with them will be easier than trying to beat several good European teams. We could end up trying to get both and end up with neither. It's not like we have a good enough squad to cover both competitions either.
    I do think however that we have to use the Europa League as a training ground to develop faster all our young players and the team cohesion. So we need to go win this as much as we can.

onemanarmy

Brugge have lost Dennis to injury but Krepin Diatta who missed the 1st leg is back from injury. A more than decent replacement with a simliar goal scoring record this season.

Ruud Vomer only came on as a sub last week, perhaps he was already carrying a knock?
    He was. He's the engine of the team, big loss for Brugge. We couldn't play them on a better moment. Two key players out, strikers have been awful since new year, and they are struggling for goals. Defence will probably be on point, I think they only conceded like 18 goals this season.

Adam-Utd

I do think however that we have to use the Europa League as a training ground to develop faster all our young players and the team cohesion. So we need to go win this as much as we can.
    We don’t even use youngsters in it though? If we played Gomes/Chong/garner/Laird I’d agree but were using first teamers majority of the time.

Gasolin

We don’t even use youngsters in it though? If we played Gomes/Chong/garner/Laird I’d agree but were using first teamers majority of the time.
    We need to win but Greenwood if fit and Williams would get something, Chong gets some game time, etc... let's see.

darko

Choices! Now that we are back in contention for the Champions League spaces, what to do? We basically have one more midfielder and one more defender available from where we were a month ago. The squad is still paper thin.

I would expect Ole to set us defensively with an eye towards countering. If we keep them from scoring we go through, so I'd think Ole wouldn't risk playing open.

Other than Romeo and Maguire, every other spot is a mystery.

But we are going to win, 2-0!
    He's going to start Martial. I see Shaw, Mata, Bailly and Fernandes starting as well. As for the other four spots, I have no clue but I'm guessing Dalot, Matic, McTomminay and Williams. Ole will want to win this one and won\t risk a soft line-up.

KevinJoh

Brugge has a few injuries and will be without a few key players . Dennis, forward that made us a lot of problems in the first game is out as well as a captain Vormer.

There are a few important games in the league that is far away from over with just 3 points behind Chelsea, possible City penalty and even Leicester in downtrend. So, with Everton away in a few days I would certainly rest a few.

I guess we can play this one without Maguire and Shaw in the defense, with Williams and Bailly for example. Although I guess Maguire would not be under pressure, I would love to rest him in one game. With WIlliams replacing Shaw I certainly don't have any problem at all.

I would love to rest Matic as well, I guess we don't need that much cover for the defenders and Fred can cover it, while McT can help in the second half and gain match fitness. I wouldn't mind having Garner on the bench to have a run out if everything goes well.

Pereira and Lingard in the starting line up? I wouldn't mind one of them, Pereira probably before Lingard as he can help Fred while also having some space with Bruno upfront.

So, something like:
    Romero,
    Dalot, Bailly, Lindelof, Williams
    Fred, Pereira,
    Mata, Bruno,
    Martial, Ighalo

I would risk Martial hoping for 2 goals in the first half and would replace him as soon as we are 2 up with Greenwood for example. Also I guess we will be able to pressure them in the final third, and Mata can be crucial to get ball to Bruno or two upfront, while won't need speed to track back. Pereira and Fred can cover, and Bailly is fast enough to recover if needed.

It is risky, but I am pretty confindent in this one. Bench would be like: De Gea, AWB, Maguire, Garner, McTominay, Lingard, Greenwood

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
    Ole to me has shown that he can maybe take a game on vs the big clubs so should try to take the europa league seriously.

Whilst they may not have the biggest clubs - they do have knock out games & his tactics that we see vs the bigger clubs should work & could help us win the thing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    We’ll probably field the same formation as the leg 1 and similar players as well. Except I can see Shaw is rested and we’ll play Bailly instead. And Greenwood will start as well, doubt he will be rested for the Everton away game. Don’t know if McTominay can play 90 min or no, I’ll just assume he can and Matic will be rested for Everton game.

Romero
    Lindelof Maguire Bailly
    Dalot Pereira Scott Williams
    Mata
    Greenwood- Martial​

Adcuth

I'd consider

Romero

Dalot Bailly Maguire Williams

Bruno Fred

James Gomes Martial

Ighalo

Won't happen like

AgentP

We have to play our best team. We have no other option. This is a must win game for us. The same goes for the Everton game as well. We should trust our players to get the job done early against Brugge so that we could rest some players.

Dyslexic Untied

Taking my young lad to this so hope for a decent lineup.

On a side note is the Lowry still decent for match day parking these days?
    I saw that there was some discussion on parking and tips for where to park in the sticky ticket thread in the United forum. As I can't answer your question I'll point you in that direction.

Adam-Utd

We need to win but Greenwood if fit and Williams would get something, Chong gets some game time, etc... let's see.
    While they're young in age I wouldnt deem them youngsters anymore, they're fully fledged first teamers now - but yes I assume Greenwood and Williams will play this one.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I think the tie is still 50:50 so we need to field our first 11. Top 4/5 is far from a sure thing so we need to concentrate on the EL as well.

Adam-Utd

I think the tie is still 50:50 so we need to field our first 11. Top 4/5 is far from a sure thing so we need to concentrate on the EL as well.
    They were pretty awful apart from that Dennis guy, he looked good.

I suspect we will/should blow them away at OT, but we can't take them easy.

I'd rather we play our full team and win the match early, then sub off a few guys that need a rest.

jackal&hyde

I'd rather we play our full team and win the match early, then sub off a few guys that need a rest.
    I agree. A bad result here would also demotivate the squad i think.

Class of 63

Sourness

We historically make hard work of beating teams who on paper we should do and comfortably, and with far better squads, so what happens if it's still 0-0 with 15 minutes to go and all to play for, do you rest players and risk losing the tie with Everton at the weekend in mind?

wolvored

If we cant win this we dont deserve champions league football next season. 3-1 with Bruno 2 and Ighalo scoring.

Adam-Utd

We historically make hard work of beating teams who on paper we should do and comfortably, and with far better squads, so what happens if it's still 0-0 with 15 minutes to go and all to play for, do you rest players and risk losing the tie with Everton at the weekend in mind?
    Well we've had 2 home matches in a row, and there is very little travel time to Everton. For me that means we don't need players to be rested. Playing 90 minutes isn't really an issue for a lot of the lads, it's the added travel and messing about in between that causes a lot of issues.

I think it's safer that we go for the kill early, get 2-3 goals if possible and then just relax and play keep ball. Brugge's heads will drop just like they did when Martial scored, and they won't have the home crowd behind them.

theklr

Both Tuanzebe and Fosu-Mensah with the training squad for Club Brugge

Class of 63

Sourness
    Well we've had 2 home matches in a row, and there is very little travel time to Everton. For me that means we don't need players to be rested. Playing 90 minutes isn't really an issue for a lot of the lads, it's the added travel and messing about in between that causes a lot of issues.

I think it's safer that we go for the kill early, get 2-3 goals if possible and then just relax and play keep ball. Brugge's heads will drop just like they did when Martial scored, and they won't have the home crowd behind them.
    Whatever the result, whatever the performance it will be a physically and mentally draining night for the lads that will play both matches, meanwhile the Everton players will have their feet up ready for the weekend and they will come flying out of the blocks as they always do. We probably couldn't have picked a harder match to follow a European match which can still go either way.

Sounds so simple going for the kill, what happens if whilst chasing early goals they hit us on the break and we find ourselves behind, then we'd be in serious trouble, and I doubt we'd be able to turn it around if that happens.

They will have plenty of backing, and they won't shut up all night, on a plus note it might get our fans at it as well, and i'm sure the players will appreciate it when they are flagging from the hour mark.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Bruno Fernandes image Bruno Fernandes 56% of 332 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 307 ratings.

Score Predictions