Kick-off
Sat, 24 August 2019 @ 3:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 71 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ........ VS ....

Date - Saturday, August 24 2019

Kickoff Time - 1500 Hrs BST

Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

League standings and form guide

4. Manchester United: WD

14. Crystal Palace: DL

Previous Meetings

Crystal Palace 1—3 Manchester United

Manchester United 0—0 Crystal Palace

Crystal Palace 2—3 Manchester United

Manchester United 4—0 Crystal Palace

Manchester United 2—0 Crystal Palace

All-Time Record

Manchester United wins: 36
    Crystal Palace wins: 7
    Draws: 11

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Roy Hodgson

Team News

Manchester United

Eric Bailly, Alexis Sánchez and Timothy Fosu-Mensah ruled out.

Crystal Palace

James Tomkins and Mamadou Sakho ruled out.

Know the opposition

Crystal Palace Football Club (nicknamed CPFC, The Glaziers and The Eagles) are a professional football club based in South Norwood, London. Crystal Palace were founded in 1905 at the site of the famous Crystal Palace Exhibition building by the owners of the FA Cup Final stadium, who wanted their own team to play at the historic venue. When Crystal Palace were founded, they turned to one of the biggest clubs in the country at the time, Aston Villa, to seek advice. Villa helped the club in a number of ways, not least by donating their kit. As a result, Palace's colors were originally claret and blue shirts paired with white shorts, socks tending to be claret. They kept to this formula fairly consistently until 1938.

The club initially played their home games at the FA Cup Final stadium which was situated inside the grounds of The Crystal Palace, but the First World War saw them forced to move out, and they enjoyed a number of seasons at both the Herne Hill Velodrome and The Nest. Although Crystal Palace have never won a major trophy, they have played in the First Division for the majority of their existence, finishing 3rd once, and losing the 1990 FA Cup Final to Manchester United. Crystal Palace play their homes games at Selhurst Park, and share sporting rivalries with South London neighbors Milwall, former tenants Charlton, and Brighton & Hove Albion.

Familiar Faces

Wilfried Zaha (2013-15)

Referee

Paul Tierney.​

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Ole failed his first real test. Need a prolonged winning streak to repair the damage.

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
    Need to win games like these if we’re going to have a good season.

Same team as tonight, Greenwood and Gomes instead of Lingard and James

They'll absolutely park it. Don't want to see Lingard starting, this is the type of game where Gomes and Greenwood getting some serious minutes would be great

Ballache

Supports
    Martial
    Defence
    ---------Fred-Pogba----------
    James-Gomes-Rashford
    Martial

Not gonna happen and we'll probably see Jesse, Andreas and McT start.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

---------------De Gea---------------
    AWB---Lindelof---Maguire---Shaw
    ----McTominay-----Pogba----
    James---------Mata---------Rashford
    ---------------Martial---------------

Subs: Romero, Tuanzebe, Young, Matic, Lingard, Gomes, Greenwood

Definitely need Mata's 'craft' in this game

R'hllor

vs counter attacking team, dunno how we gonna break their bus and break them again because even if we get a lead, doubt they will chang their ways, they will probably stick to it as long as possible on 1:0 and then try to do something.

This please and keep Lingard away from the team.

De Gea​
    AWB Lindeolf Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Pogba
    Pereria​
    James Martial Rashford​

always_hoping

Ole failed his first real test. Need a prolonged winning streak to repair the damage.
    Not sure about the "failed" and "damage" words you have chosen for a game United could or should have won tonight. Wolves away is a tough fixture Man City last season only drew 1-1 in Molineux lets not forget, at least United stopped the losing streak against them.

Very winnable game up next and hopefully it's a comfortable win.

Last edited:

King Andow

This please and keep Lingard away from the team.

De Gea​
    AWB Lindeolf Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Pogba
    Pereria​
    James Martial Rashford​
    This with Gomes instead of Pereira is the best we got. Would like to see Mason getting way more minutes too.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
    Should be an Easy victory. Their squad looks below average, Zaha looks unmotivated and Beneteke will be no problem for our defense. 5-0 thrashing.

De Gea
    AWB - Linderlof - Maguire - Shaw
    Mctominay - Pogba
    Gomes
    Chong - Martial - Rashy

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    De Gea
    Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    McTominay Pogba
    Greenwood Lingard Rashford
    Martial
    Gomes to get subbed on. 4-0 win.

Canagel

DDG
    AWB Lindelhof Maguire Dalot
    Mctominay
    Greenwood Pogba Gomes Rashford
    Martial​

zenith

Hope we play Fred instead of lingard and move pogba to a more advanced position. His creativity will be needed against an opponent that'll tend to sit back.

bondsname

Hope to see a response from the players, if this is not a 7-0 win I will be disappointed.

Raw

Anything other than a win is a massive disappointment. Hopefully it'll be better than that dross last season in the same fixture where it ended 0-0.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
    I want to see Fred, Gomes and Chong or Greenwood instead of McT, Lingard and James. Having said that i think that only change will be Greenwood on the right wing. Nevertheless, it will ve easy win for us

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
    Scout
    Lingard and James will come out for two out of Mata / Andreas / Greenwood (maybe Chong but i doubt it).

I also have a weird feeling he might start Young over Shaw, but thats probably just me being odd.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Itching for this. I reckon Greenwood might get a start here, but no problem if he doesn't. We'll be playing twice-a-week most weeks soon.

kirk buttercup

:lol::lol: that's a bit over the top . we drew away to a team that most on here would consider a very very good team and we should have won the game . no damage to be repaired keep improving and most rational fans would be happy

romufc

Itching for this. I reckon Greenwood might get a start here, but no problem if he doesn't. We'll be playing twice-a-week most weeks soon.
    I don't think we will start with 3 Strikers. Greenwood, Martial and Rashford all like to come in. We need some width so I can see him starting on the bench.

Rauður Djöfull

Hoping Daniel James goes back to the bench, he tried last night and some things worked and most did not. Think for now he still may be best coming in around the 60-70th minute to run at tired defenses. Problem is our width in squad, I mean our bench last night looked nothing special and no one there felt like a good bet to change the game, maybe that is why OGS waited so long with changes? Felt he could have done them a bit earlier though.

Mata offered nothing (although he did not get a lot of minutes to make an impact), would like to see Gomes get some minutes in this game, can't be much worse than Mata/Lingard. He can create and make runs with the ball glued to his legs like against Spurs in pre season. He is also eager to impress and will most likely give his all.

Overall Palace look a shitty team right now with an unhappy Zaha, we should be winning this one confidently. Will be interesting to see since they will probably park the bus, can we break down those kind of defenses?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Hoping Daniel James goes back to the bench, he tried last night and some things worked and most did not. Think for now he still may be best coming in around the 60-70th minute to run at tired defenses. Problem is our width in squad, I mean our bench last night looked nothing special and no one there felt like a good bet to change the game, maybe that is why OGS waited so long with changes? Felt he could have done them a bit earlier though.

Mata offered nothing (although he did not get a lot of minutes to make an impact), would like to see Gomes get some minutes in this game, can't be much worse than Mata/Lingard. He can create and make runs with the ball glued to his legs like against Spurs in pre season. He is also eager to impress and will most likely give his all.

Overall Palace look a shitty team right now with an unhappy Zaha, we should be winning this one confidently. Will be interesting to see since they will probably park the bus, can we break down those kind of defenses?
    He was there to keep their FB pinned to the wing, and cover his breaks. He did that, what he didn't do enough was attack down their left enough. Against Palace he'd have more room to do so with AWB covering and overlapping as well.

Having said that, who else would you have on the right? We don't have a naturally wide player

RobbieBerns

If there’s any game to start one or both of Greenwood and Gomes, it’s this one. When you’re alternatives are Lingard and James, why not? They were the two clear weak links yesterday, and Greenwood/Gomes were two of our best performers in preseason.

romufc

If there’s any game to start one or both of Greenwood and Gomes, it’s this one. When you’re alternatives are Lingard and James, why not? They were the two clear weak links yesterday, and Greenwood/Gomes were two of our best performers in preseason.
    Weak links? wow. Can you explain how Dan James was the weak link?

Numerous ball recoveries, runs in behind.

Mcking

I think James should start again. He wasn't very good against Wolves, but I wouldn't fancy every attacking player in the world to have a great game against Wolves' disciplined 3-5-2. Pereira and Lingard just can't get into games as wingers, and they are practically useless there. I think we should stick with James on the RW and give Gomes a chance at CAM.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Staff
    de Gea
    Wan-Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
    McTominay - Fred
    Pogba
    James - Martial - Rashford​

Of course dependent on the result but if winning I would want Ole to take off one of the midfielders for Gomes (put Pogba a bit futher back) and switch James for Greenwood at around 60 minutes so they good actual time to impress.

Seven Seas Sardines

Gomes needs to be ahead of Mata and Lingard against parked buses. If Ole persists with Mata and Lingard, it will be his downfall and he won't be the man to bring United back to former glory.

Affirmation

De Gea
    Wan-Bissaka - Maguire - Lindelof - Shaw
    Pogba - McTominay
    Greenwood - Gomes - Rashford
    Martial
    I believe we should give this team a chance in a match like this, it should have enough creativity to take advantage of the opportunities that will be given to us and I want to see how both Mason Greenwood and Angel Gomes do when playing together in the same team alongside our more senior players. Also Gomes in particular should be given a chance to make that Central Attacking Midfielder position his own, particularly when both Jesse Lingard and Juan Mata have too many flaws to warrant a starting role in this type of team.

As for Daniel James, he will be useful coming off the bench of course and I wouldn't mind seeing Tahith Chong given a slot also on the bench given his natural winger capabilities alongside Diogo Dalot who can also provide width and a more attacking output for the Fullback position.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 532 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw