Kick-off
Sat, 2 October 2021 @ 12:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ...................VS.........................

Date: Saturday, October 02 2021
    Kickoff Time: 1230 Hrs BST
    Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester

League standings and form guide

4. Manchester United: DWWWL
    5. Everton: DWWLW

Previous League Meetings

Manchester United 3—3 Everton

Everton 1—3 Manchester United

Everton 1—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—1 Everton

Everton 4—0 Manchester United

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 81
    Everton wins: 58
    Draws: 45

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Rafael Benítez

Team News

Manchester United

Marcus Rashford, Amad Diallo and Harry Maguire ruled out. Luke Shaw doubtful.

Everton

Séamus Coleman, Richarlison, Fabian Delph, Dominic Calvert-Lewin and Gylfi Sigurðsson ruled out. Jordan Pickford, André Gomes and Jean-Philippe Gbamin doubtful.

Know the opposition

Everton Football Club (nicknamed The Toffees and The Blues) are a professional football club based in Liverpool, England. Everton were founded as St Domingo FC in 1878 so that members of the congregation of St Domingo Methodist New Connexion Chapel in Breckfield Road North, Everton could play sport year round – cricket was played in summer. The club's first game was a 1–0 victory over Everton Church Club. The club was renamed Everton in November 1879 after the local area, as people outside the congregation wished to participate. The club was a founding member of the Football League in 1888–89 and won their first League Championship title in the 1890–91 season. Everton won the FA Cup for the first time in 1906 and the League Championship again in 1914–15. The outbreak of the First World War in 1914 interrupted the football programme while Everton were champions, which was something that would again occur in 1939.

It was not until 1927 that Everton's first sustained period of success began. In 1925 the club signed Dixie Dean from Tranmere Rovers. In 1927–28, Dean set the record for top-flight league goals in a single season with 60 goals in 39 league games, which is a record that still stands. He helped Everton win their third League Championship that season. Everton's second successful era started when Harry Catterick was made manager in 1961. In 1962–63, his second season in charge, Everton won the League Championship. In 1966 the club won the FA Cup with a 3–2 win over Sheffield Wednesday. Everton again reached the final in 1968, but this time were unable to overcome West Bromwich Albion at Wembley. Two seasons later in 1969–70, Everton won the League Championship, finishing nine points clear of nearest rivals Leeds United. During this period, Everton were the first English club to achieve five consecutive years in European competitions – covering the seasons from 1961–62 to 1966–67. Howard Kendall took over as manager and guided Everton to their most successful era. Domestically, Everton won the FA Cup in 1984 and two League Championships in 1984–85 and 1986–87. In Europe, the club won its first, and so far only, European trophy by securing the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1985.

All in all, Everton have won 15 major trophies: the League Championship nine times (fourth most as of 2017–18), the FA Cup five times (ninth most) and the UEFA Cup Winners Cup once. The club have also competed in the top division for a record 114 seasons, missing the top division only four times (1930–31 and three consecutive seasons starting with 1951–52). Everton have play their homes games at Goodison Park since 1892, after moving from Anfield following a row over its rent. Their biggest rivals are neighbors Liverpool, against whom they contest the Merseryside Derby.

Referee

Michael Oliver.

Familiar Faces

Michael Keane (2004—15)

Irwin99

This fixture around this time last year changed the season for us after a pretty wretched start. Maybe this one will be the spark for a good run of form too.

Their wide players are a concern if Shaw is still out and I expect Rafa will set his team up to defend deep and frustrate :boring:

cyberman

I thought we couldn’t play 12:30 if we had a Wed night CL game?

slored1

De Gea
    AWB - Lindelöf - Varane - Telles
    Matic - Fred
    Greenwood - Bruno - Sancho
    Ronaldo

3-1 United.

Jaxa

I don’t know how some of you have the energy to even think about this game right now after tonight’s performance :lol:

Im exhausted on the back of watching that

Adamsk7

Cavani and Lingard look hungry and changed the game tonight. We’re at the stage now where the team should be picked on merit so I’d go

De Gea

Bailly - can’t play Dalot after that tonight
    Lindelof
    Varane
    Shaw (think he’ll be back)

Matic
    Pogba
    Bruno

Ronaldo
    Cavani
    Lingard

Hard game. 2-1 Utd

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    I hope we give this 4-1-4-1 another go against Everton, maybe with Matic holding. It clearly did not work tonight, but I don’t want to write it off after one game against a very effective, attritional side. In fact, I’d be a bit worried if we have worked on it and tear it up after one game.

Ollie Derbyshire

……………………De Gea
    Dalot… Lindleof…Varane…Shaw/Telles
    ………………….…Fred
    ……….Bruno…………..VDB
    Greenwood..Ronaldo..Sancho

433, Bruno and VDB playing 8‘s properly, Bruno can’t be allowed to just roam high up all game. Mason & Sancho stretch the pitch with one of Bruno / VDB breaking forward when they do to run in behind. Fullbacks need to provide overlaps so mason & Sancho aren’t marked out the game.

Obviously not going to happen, VDB has zero chance of playing so will be McFred with Pogba LW probably. Rinse and Repeat.

Dve

Some rotation needed, and I want our front 4 to do the press work.

.................. De Gea

Bissaka - Lindelöf - Varane - Telles

.............. Pogba - Matic

Sancho - Fernandes - Lingard

................. Cavani

izak

Supports
    Glory Glory Red Devils
    Atkinson, Moss, Dean and now…

Please what's his name, I don't really take note of names but i know we've been on the receiving end of some horrible decisions when he's handled our game.

RedMilo

DDG
    AWB
    Telles
    Varane
    Lindelof
    Matic
    Fred or McT
    Bruno
    Lingard or Greenwood
    CR7
    King of Uruguay

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Please what's his name, I don't really take note of names but i know we've been on the receiving end of some horrible decisions when he's handled our game.
    We don’t mention his name around these parts. He who shall not be named.

Okey

Changes needed after this taxing night. Cavani, Lingard and DVB should be able to come in. Ronaldo to rest. Any of Pogba and Bruno too. If we can't freshen things up regularly over the season, might as well pack it in. We should dispatch Everton comfortably.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    De Gea
    AWB - Lindelöf - Varane - Shaw
    VDB - Matic
    Greenwood - Bruno - Pogba
    Ronaldo

Let's do this!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    These still have major injury problems? If Richarlison and DCL are missing then we should be ok here.
    DCL is back I think. Not sure but FPL website says expected back on 2nd October.

croadyman

Hopefully we don't see yet another slow start which has blighted us under Ole far too often and the traditional drop off we get after Champions League games

BorisManUtd

Well I liked the way we played last time against Everton in February, even though we conceded 3 goals in the end thanks to some defensive errors mostly, but we were good, Pogba was great until he had to be subbed off due to injury. This time it's Benitez and not Ancelotti obviously as their manager but I do expect a similar tactics again from Everton, sitting deep and hitting us on counter.

A win before international break would be good and please a better performance than against Villarreal.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Time to try out tactics without Pogba, for the benefit of the collective.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 288 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Everton win
  • Draw