Kick-off
Tue, 10 January 2017 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    VS...

Date - Tuesday, January 10 2017
    Kickoff Time - 2000 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

EFL Cup form guide

Manchester United: WWW

Hull City: WWWW

Previous Meetings in the League Cup

Hull City 0-1 Manchester United

Manchester United 5-0 Hull City

All-Time League Cup Record

Manchester United wins - 2
    Hull City wins - 0
    Draws - 0

Pre-Match Pressers

José Mourinho

Marco Silva

Team News

Manchester United

Eric Bailly unavailable (AFCON).

Hull City

Know the opposition

Hull City Association Football Club (nicknamed The Tigers), are a professional football club based in Hull, England. They were founded on 28 June 1904 after previous attempts to found a football club had proved difficult because of the dominance in the city of rugby teams such as Hull FC and Hull Kingston Rovers. Hull's greatest achievement in cup competitions until 2014 was in 1930, when they reached the FA Cup semi-finals. The cup run saw Hull knock out the eventual champions of the Second and Third Divisions; Blackpool and Plymouth Argyle. They then knocked out Manchester City, and Newcastle United in the quarter-finals. After decades of turbulence, and languishing in lower leagues, Hull had a revival in fortunes at the start of the 21 st century - earning back to back promotions to the Championship in the mid 2000s, and subsequently to the Premier League in 2008. Hull's most prominent rivalries include Leeds United and Sheffield United; and they play their home games at the KCOM Stadium, Kingston upon Hull.

Referee

.​

Raw

Play a strong team, win the tie in the first leg and build up momentum for the Liverpool game.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Should be another routine game like today which would make the second a formality. Hopefully the manager change has a negative effect too.

Romero
    TFM Smalling Jones Darmian
    Schweinsteiger Pogba
    Lingard Mata Martial
    Rashford​

Is what I'd play. No chance of it, as herrera and Ibra and probably miki and de gea will be back in, but I would keep a rotated squad for this.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    Should be another routine game like today which would make the second a formality. Hopefully the manager change has a negative effect too.

Romero
    TFM Smalling Jones Darmian
    Schweinsteiger Pogba
    Lingard Mata Martial
    Rashford​

Is what I'd play. No chance of it, as herrera and Ibra and probably miki and de gea will be back in, but I would keep a rotated squad for this.
    Zlatan will definitely start.

That is a very poor side and would cause us problems. Hull arent that bad, just cant seem to take their chances though.

bosnian_red

Zlatan will definitely start.

That is a very poor side and would cause us problems. Hull arent that bad, just cant seem to take their chances though.
    A weaker side then that just comefortably beat reading who are probably better then Hull most of the time... we'd be fine.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    A weaker side then that just comefortably beat reading who are probably better then Hull most of the time... we'd be fine.
    That really isnt true at all. I have watched quite a number of Hull perfomances this season, and I can attest that they are a decent side. Saw them against City and Everton recently, and they look much better than their results suggest. Thats why I felt Phelan was really hard done by.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    Full strength side.

We've got 5 days after this game compared to Liverpool's 4.

Resting players is great but they're super fit athletes, they don't need more than a week to get their fitness up. Momentum and rythum are super important at this stage of the season.

Alabaster Codify7

I reckon he'll start a strong team and hope to kill the tie off in the first leg.

DDG
    Valencia, Smalling, Jones, Darmian
    Herrera, Fellaini, Pogba
    Mkhitaryan, Martial
    Zlatan

SUBS - Rashford (Martial), Rooney (Mkhitaryan), Mata (Herrera).

Man United 3 - 0 Hull City
    Zlatan x 2, Mata

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
    Think it'll be something like this:

De Gea

Valencia Jones Smalling Darmian
    Herrera Pogba
    Mkhitaryan Rooney Lingard
    Zlatan​
    Could be something like that. I don't mind resting players, but if it is too long it is easy to go from rested to rusty.

Trizy

I don't see why we shouldn't start at least 9/11 of our best XI. Rojo an obvious doubt and rest De Gea.

Tuesday to Sunday is plenty of time for a rest. We should kill this tie off in the first leg.

bosnian_red

That really isnt true at all. I have watched quite a number of Hull perfomances this season, and I can attest that they are a decent side. Saw them against City and Everton recently, and they look much better than their results suggest. Thats why I felt Phelan was really hard done by.
    Also part of the reason why I think it'll be pretty easy. They are "decent" compared to championship sides, but they aren't a premier league side at all. Player wise they are basically mid-table championship. I agree Phelan had them decently organized and working hard... But that doesn't mean they are good, or that the new manager will get them playing above their level. They are dead certs to get relegated, and with United in top form and in full confidence, it should really be an easy win regardless of who plays. The side today would be more then good enough to hammer them as we
    hammered Hull, so I really don't get why it would cause us problems considering we would have pogba in there anyway?

Saying all that, I'm sure Mou will pick a strong team, I just think that a team like the one today would be fine to give Martial/Rashford and some other fringe players more of a chance, while giving Carrick, Ibra, Valencia more of a rest.

CM10

It'll be interesting to see how Mourinho approaches this one. I think he'll want to play a strong side because it's a semi-final but the Liverpool match surely has to take priority.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
    Staff
    Supports
    Piracy on the High Seas.
    Whats the record for number of games unbeaten that Madrid hold?
    1. Juventus: 43 games unbeaten under Antonio Conte.
    2. Milan: 42 games unbeaten under Fabio Capello.
    3. Nottingham Forest: 40 games unbeaten under Brian Clough.
    4. Real Madrid: 39 games unbeaten under Zinedine Zidane with the latest win over Granada.
    4. Barcelona: 39 games unbeaten under Luis Enrique.

Android1974

Incredibly anal about player positions in lineups
    It'll be interesting to see how Mourinho approaches this one. I think he'll want to play a strong side because it's a semi-final but the Liverpool match surely has to take priority.
    But the five days rest give him some assurance. The problem is injury prone players, like Jones.

Devil may care

I think Jose will want to get the job done in the first leg and will field a stronger line-up than today.

ChaddyP

_____________Romero____________
    Valencia Jones Smalling Darmian
    ______________Herrera___________
    Mkhitaryan Fellaini Pogba Martial
    ________________Z9_______________

NYAS

Stronger team than today but still wouldn't start Zlatan and Pogba.

Android1974

I think Jose will want to get the job done in the first leg and will field a stronger line-up than today.

Doubts: Jones might be spared, as well as Carrick; Martial might feature, but could as well be Rashford (or Lingard).

cyberman

Lingard and Rashford to start. Pogba to play since theres a big enough gap to Liverpool game.
    Rest should stay the same

FahadiHossein

Lingard and Rashford to start. Pogba to play since theres a big enough gap to Liverpool game.
    Rest should stay the same
    I was hoping that Zlatan and Martial could be rested.
    But since the Liverpool game is on a Monday, then I guess it will be good that they play.

Android1974

Hull apparently has lot of defensive injuries. Davies and Maguire were out of the FA Cup game and Dawson came out injured during it.

Havak

Pokemon master
    Reckon a lot of first team players come back in here to try and kill this tie in the first leg, especially with the Liverpool game being five days after this. Namely Valencia, Herrera, Pogba, Mkhitaryan, and Ibrahimovic - maybe De Gea too. Smalling and Jones will have to continue at CB now, though I think that's the pairing Jose was going to use even before the Rojo injury.

Then it's just a case of who keeps their place out of Rashford, Martial, Rooney and Mata (or if Fellaini or Schweinsteiger are kept as more of a conventional midfield three). Not sure who will play Left Back, hopefully Shaw can at least feature.

De Gea
    Valencia Smalling Jones Shaw
    Herrera Pogba
    Mkhitaryan Rooney Rashford
    Ibrahimovic​

Something like that. Rooney could be Mata, Fellaini or Bastian. Shaw could be Darmian, Rashford could be Martial or Lingard.

Try to kill the game 2 or 3-0 by 60-70 minutes, get three of Shaw/Zlatan/Herrera/Mkhitaryan/Pogba off. Carrick and Blind come back for Liverpool, probably Martial too.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 427 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Hull City win