Manchester United vs Inter Milan (Sat 20th July, 12:30 UK time)

Solid preseason performance. Loving Wan-Bissaka like mad already. Overall really pleased with our shape and how the players seemed to gel pretty well. We still lack some end product and execution. Greenwood with a great finish.

Icemav

Why does everyone tear into Mata? Its called having a squad. You don't need to sack players so other are guaranteed to play. If Gomes rotates with him we should be very happy about it and there is also something called injuries.

Lingard is the player whose role need to be defined.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
We are going to be such an improved team with AWB. Seriously, if nothing else changes much we could be a top 4 team with just AWB. He'll solidify the defense exponentially AND he will present a legitimate threat on the right. This is exciting and something we haven't had since Valencia was a good player.

Other points
- Martial better pick up his game and meet his potential or he will be passed by Chong, James, Greenwood or Gomez very soon.
- Pogba and AWB were MOTM for me
- Love the high press and I think opposing teams will hate it
- I'm not sure who our best DM is between Matic, McT and Fred. We need to sort it out soon though or buy a clearly better player than all.
- Poor match IMO for Mata, Lingard, Rashford and Martial. Everyone else was good and up.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
United have a really solid foundation to build through. Players like Greenwood, Chong and the others will grow with playing the European matches and Cup games. Add Bruno to the mix and you have another player who is still only 25 to grow with the team. Once the team has a solid core and foundation then you can start focusing on those marquee signings who will take you up a level like the Jadon Sanchos of the world.

If United do this the right way which seems the case there could be a really bright future here.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Why does everyone tear into Mata? Its called having a squad. You don't need to sack players so other are guaranteed to play. If Gomes rotates with him we should be very happy about it and there is also something called injuries.

Lingard is the player whose role need to be defined.
But why would you send a guy packing who fits in with the style of play the manager wants (pace, energy, pressing, versatility etc) over one who doesn't really fit into that and has never really fitted into any style we've played plus whose contract was expiring and is in his 30s?

Brightonian

Where are all these red cafe scouts who claim that Skirir or whatever feck ya call him is some kind of top level defender. He’s getting torn to shreds by our academy kids. :lol:
Yeah I was thinking that. Just goes to show 90% of the players we 'absolutely must buy' because 'all of ours are shit' have probably just popped up in the poster's youtube feed or something.

Tony247

AWB is very good and solid. but....

I am not a big fan of defenders relying on so many sliding tackles. It can work against poor teams and less intelligent wingers. But top tier football is unforgiving, he can't get away all the time with those. A good oppoenet can invite booking on him or even penalty. He needs to be careful.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Great game to watch. Inter took a lot of chances at the back and we worked hard. I think we were sloppy at times with our passing but our work ethic was good. However, Leeds and Inter have both played out from the back and so that's made it easier for us when the press is right. James was poor. Needs an end product but some good performances.

Icemav

We are going to be such an improved team with AWB. Seriously, if nothing else changes much we could be a top 4 team with just AWB. He'll solidify the defense exponentially AND he will present a legitimate threat on the right. This is exciting and something we haven't had since Valencia was a good player.

Other points
- Martial better pick up his game and meet his potential or he will be passed by Chong, James, Greenwood or Gomez very soon.
- Pogba and AWB were MOTM for me
- Love the high press and I think opposing teams will hate it
- I'm not sure who our best DM is between Matic, McT and Fred. We need to sort it out soon though or buy a clearly better player than all.
- Poor match IMO for Mata, Lingard, Rashford and Martial. Everyone else was good and up.
In a slow game Matic can do a job and control a game reasonably well. Fred looked quite good today.

The stand out was Mctominay who dominated Inter once he came on. His positioning and tackling was great but the way he passed the ball short and long was very very classy. I have a feeling he could be massive for us this season.

Marcelinho87

I am not a big fan of defenders relying on so many sliding tackles. It can work against poor teams and less intelligent wingers. But top tier football is unforgiving, he can't get away all the time with those. A good oppoenet can invite booking on him or even penalty. He needs to be careful.
You do realise he played top level last year? We ain't in the CL so no need to worry there.

BdBilly91

Honestly I would risk the odd booking or even penalty to see our defenders crunching people again.

Brightonian

They're intelligent, well-thought-out sliding tackles though. He doesn't slide in on an onrushing attacker, which risks getting skinned or committing a foul. He goes with the opponent from early on in their attack, matching his pace against theirs so he can judge the tackle much more easily and make it a nice safe distance from the penalty area.

Icemav

But why would you send a guy packing who fits in with the style of play the manager wants (pace, energy, pressing, versatility etc) over one who doesn't really fit into that and has never really fitted into any style we've played plus whose contract was expiring and is in his 30s?
I am not saying any of those three should be sold. Jesse is energetic and I expect him to have some good performances when we need that sort of energy however he is not a great footballer and does sometimes look woeful. Gomes however looks very classy and composed so it will be interesting to see him develop this season.

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
In a slow game Matic can do a job and control a game reasonably well. Fred looked quite good today.

The stand out was Mctominay who dominated Inter once he came on. His positioning and tackling was great but the way he passed the ball short and long was very very classy. I have a feeling he could be massive for us this season.
Most great teams have a solid DM who plays most matches and provides an anchor for the defense. I don't think we can fill this position by committee as it's asking for problems. I hope McT or Fred can emphatically claim the spot soon. I really don't want to see Matic playing match after match because OGS can't trust the others.

Icemav

Most great teams have a solid DM who plays most matches and provides an anchor for the defense. I don't think we can fill this position by committee as it's asking for problems. I hope McT or Fred can emphatically claim the spot soon. I really don't want to see Matic playing match after match because OGS can't trust the others.
I am clearly referring to Mctominay as the guy to boss that position. Matic is good sometimes but I think he will have a fight on his hands to keep the starting shirt. Fred I think will cameo.

Fully Fledged

When I see him miss time a tackle I'll start to worry.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I am not saying any of those three should be sold. Jesse is energetic and I expect him to have some good performances when we need that sort of energy however he is not a great footballer and does sometimes look woeful. Gomes however looks very classy and composed so it will be interesting to see him develop this season.
I'm saying that though. I think the squad is too big. Particularly in defence but also in midfield. I would definitely have let Mata go and offered Rojo and Darmian to whoever has a pack of hobnobs going spare.

I would even consider letting Lingard or Martial go as well but perhaps they deserve a year in a high tempo team to show what they've got. They're both good players I'm just not sure they're what we need. If we get Bruno in then I think Lingard in particular might find himself short of game time.

Ace of Spades

What a difference from last seasons pre-season games. I still insist Mourinho should have been sacked prior to season start for his constant moaning and criticising the kids, and club.
The criticism of the kids was what really pushed me completely against him, as that just showed he has no clue of what the club is all about. That and the academy really has got some really good talent coming through right now.

UncleBob

They're intelligent, well-thought-out sliding tackles though. He doesn't slide in on an onrushing attacker, which risks getting skinned or committing a foul. He goes with the opponent from early on in their attack, matching his pace against theirs so he can judge the tackle much more easily and make it a nice safe distance from the penalty area.
I'm fairly certain we'll work on him relying less on his tackling and more on positioning.

I'm saying that though. I think the squad is too big. Particularly in defence but also in midfield. I would definitely have let Mata go and offered Rojo and Darmian to whoever has a pack of hobnobs going spare.

I would even consider letting Lingard or Martial go as well but perhaps they deserve a year in a high tempo team to show what they've got. They're both good players I'm just not sure they're what we need. If we get Bruno in then I think Lingard in particular might find himself short of game time.
Absurd, all of it.

Icemav

Rojo and Darmian really do appear surplus to requirements. Mata however still gets important game time.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Still the biggest draw in World football.
Result of 20 years Sir Alex hard work. Hopefully Ole will bring the United mojo back, with that decent performance.

Remember last year US pre-season? feck me, what an embarrassment.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Greenwood should start each game. He plays like natural striker in the box which we are lacking ever since RVP left.
He looked like the one as 200k/wk striker, instead of Rashford and Martial.

Xaviboy

Really enjoyed that. Great to see the young lads play like that, give them confidence. I really hope they continue that in to the season and in to premier league games. Future looks bright with some of the talent there.