Manchester United vs Inter Milan (Sat 20th July, 12:30 UK time)

marktan

We will. Try not to explode before then.
You're the guy who told me pre season last year that Alexis Sanchez would have a great year after getting a pre-season in. I admire your optimism to all things United but given the last 6 years I can't really help but pessimistic.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
You're the guy who told me pre season last year that Alexis Sanchez would have a great year after getting a pre-season in. I admire your optimism to all things United but given the last 6 years I can't really help but pessimistic.
Well then I must be wrong! You enjoy your pessimism. I look forward to reading your next hundred posts about how shit everything is.

marktan

Well then I must be wrong! You enjoy your pessimism. I look forward to reading your next hundred posts about how shit everything is.
Christ why must every single post of yours be so condescending

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Christ why must every single post of yours be so condescending
Oh look, another negative post, best go ahead with another condescending reply. You get the gist.

Axle17

I found the first half a bit mediocre. I think the formation didn't suit our players, but at least we got some good data moving forward. Martial seems to either try to do too much or has awful timing.

Second half blew me away. I was expecting us to crumble, but almost our entire eleven impressed me! Before the Leeds game, I didn't think Chong could make it. Wow that changed quickly.. How exciting can he be!
Greenwood is going to be a star.
For some reason even Ashley Young looked decent.. Wtf?

Pereira looks a liability and we definitely need a CB.

Snuffkin

It was a good work out against a decent team. How we will fare against an attacking team, I don't know

jackal&hyde

Very good game. We were in complete control and never gave Inter a chance to even hold the ball let alone create chances. The back 4 look very solid and the attack has tremendous pace and skill.

We have some very good players here. Just need to add some finishing touches and develop better understanding between the players and we have a very good team on our hands.

Suv666

Greenwood looks like a star in the making. He has got all the tools, hope Ole can manage him well. Chong looks good too. AWB is very solid. If we can add a CB and an attacking mid we can easily make top 4. Arsenal and Chelsea are piss poor atm.

Suv666

Was impressed with the atmosphere as well until they started booing Young. Wtf.
That was uncalled for, he gives 100% on the pitch its not his fault he's not Man Utd quality. I blame the toxicity on sites like Reddit and twitter for it.

Snuffkin

Danirl James seems like an unnecessary purchase given the wealth of young attacking talent at our disposal. He looked very average today. However his arrival could spur on the academy youngsters to show their worth.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Danirl James seems like an unnecessary purchase given the wealth of young attacking talent at our disposal. He looked very average today. However his arrival could spur on the academy youngsters to show their worth.
Think it is more that everyone said he is a left winger and today proved it. He will be scary if he brings him on late in games on that left side.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Stadium was completely red today. Barely any Inter fans in the staidum.

It was like home game for us.

Eddy_JukeZ

Good stuff.

Our pressing continues to be a positive.

I still think we circulate the ball a bit too slow at times, but hopefully it improves.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Those guys booing Young should get their head checked. For all his limitations. The guy has always played his heart out for us.
This is right. That stuff says more about them than about the United captain. Twats.

paulscholes18

Result of 20 years Sir Alex hard work. Hopefully Ole will bring the United mojo back, with that decent performance.

Remember last year US pre-season? feck me, what an embarrassment.
Yes it was horrendous, Jose fan boys saying not to worry as it’s only pre-season :rolleyes:

RedDevilRoshi

Positives:
  • Deserved to win by a bigger margin
  • High press, we were so good off the ball and hopefully more of this to come. Inter were struggling to string a couple of passes together as our pressing was really suffocating them at times - more if this please!
  • Passing & movement. The player on the ball always had an option or two
  • AWB was absolutely fantastic throughout. Absolute revelation and my MOTM!
  • Tuanzebe and Lindelof were solid together
  • Pogba ran the show in the midfield, head and shoulders above any other midfielder on the park
  • The subs in the 2nd half brought a whole new intensity to the game, especially the two youngsters
  • Every time Chong had the ball, you just sensed something was going to happen.
  • Greenwood looks a special talent and what a superb strike to score the only goal of the game. Also hit the bar.

Negatives:
  • Decision making in the final 3rd is still poor. So many misplaced passes at the crucial point
  • Not ruthless enough in the final 3rd, we could easily and deservedly won that game by a bigger margin if it wasn’t for some poor finishing and indecisiveness. A better team would have sucker punched us big time!
  • James didn’t look comfortable as a RW, looks far better on the left
  • Looked a little suspect at times when defending crosses/corners, De Gea flapped at a couple of their deliveries
  • Martial still so easy for defenders to read on what he’s going to do when he has the ball. Needs to mix it up a bit.
  • Rashford needs to stop continuously shooting from crazy distances all the time. Very rarely did one of those numerous long range efforts trouble Handonovic in goals.

Overall very happy with the performance. The scoreline isn’t a true reflection on our dominance throughout the 90 mins. A few areas still to work on but another good step in the right direction. Onwards and upwards!

Last edited:

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Positives:
  • Deserved to win by a bigger margin
  • High press, we were so good off the ball and hopefully more of this to come. Inter were struggling to string a couple of passes together at times as our pressing was really suffocating them at times - more if this please!
  • Passing & movement. The player on the ball always had an option or two
  • AWB was absolutely fantastic throughout. Absolute revelation and my MOTM!
  • Tuanzebe and Lindelof were solid together
  • Pogba ran the show in the midfield, head and shoulders above any other midfielder on the park
  • The subs in the 2nd half brought a whole new intensity to the game, especially the two youngsters
  • Every time Chong had the ball, you just sensed something was going to happen.
  • Greenwood looks a special talent and what a superb strike to score the only goal of the game. Also hit the bar.

Negatives:
  • Decision making in the final 3rd is still poor. So many misplaced passes at the crucial point
  • Not ruthless enough in the final 3rd, we could easily and deservedly won that game by a bigger margin if it wasn’t for some poor finishing and indecisiveness.
  • James didn’t look comfortable as a RW, looks far better on the left
  • Looked a little suspect at times when defending crosses/corners, De Gea flapped at a couple of their deliveries
  • Martial still so easy for defenders to read on what he’s going to do when he has the ball. Needs to mix it up a bit.
  • Rashford needs to stop continuously shooting from crazy distances all the time. Very rarely did one of those numerous long range efforts trouble Handonovic in goals.

Overall very happy with the performance. The scoreline isn’t a true reflection on our dominance throughout the 90 mins. A few areas still to work on but another good step in the right direction. Onwards and upwards!
I wish people expressed their thoughts on positives and negatives more often. Spot on!

kirk buttercup

You're right James did look better on the left problem is so does
Chong
Sanchez
Martial

Hopefully Greenwood makes rw his own

noodlehair

"It's like..."
That performance was more lively and exciting than 95% of our actual games last season.

I'm actually starting to feel pretty encouraged in regards to Ole. He clearly has a plan of how he wants the team to play.

Still a lot to work on and better players needed in a few areas, and also remains to be seen if we can pull that kind of performance off consistently in competitive games, but at least the intention is there.

THis is also easily the most exciting set of young players we've had in a while.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
That was uncalled for, he gives 100% on the pitch its not his fault he's not Man Utd quality. I blame the toxicity on sites like Reddit and twitter for it.
Didn’t our matchgoers booed Fellaini in OT? Or was it away game?

kirk buttercup

That performance was more lively and exciting than 95% of our actual games last season.

I'm actually starting to feel pretty encouraged in regards to Ole. He clearly has a plan of how he wants the team to play.

Still a lot to work on and better players needed in a few areas, and also remains to be seen if we can pull that kind of performance off consistently in competitive games, but at least the intention is there.

THis is also easily the most exciting set of young players we've had in a while.
Yes . Good high pressing a bit of zip about our play . Youth trying things and Pogba and co . Feeding off that . I'm loving the youth coming through I thought Greenwood and Chong, axel were all very good today . Nothing would make me happier than seeing these guys progress even if it takes a few years . Really enjoyed their enthusiastic style of play . Well done Ole

Quinzaine

We are going to be such an improved team with AWB. Seriously, if nothing else changes much we could be a top 4 team with just AWB. He'll solidify the defense exponentially AND he will present a legitimate threat on the right. This is exciting and something we haven't had since Valencia was a good player.

Other points
- Martial better pick up his game and meet his potential or he will be passed by Chong, James, Greenwood or Gomez very soon.
- Pogba and AWB were MOTM for me
- Love the high press and I think opposing teams will hate it
- I'm not sure who our best DM is between Matic, McT and Fred. We need to sort it out soon though or buy a clearly better player than all.
- Poor match IMO for Mata, Lingard, Rashford and Martial. Everyone else was good and up.
What game were you watching? Martial was far better than Rashford, James & Lingard today and was involved in 3 big chances in the 60 mins he played?

Crashoutcassius

Thought something similar in the last few games... we seem to be able to get players to the by line a lot and the balls go across the box with nobody in there..

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
What game were you watching? Martial was far better than Rashford, James & Lingard today and was involved in 3 big chances in the 60 mins he played?
I agree but Martial is very much a moments player, invisible for most of the 60 minutes but pops up with a couple big moments. The rest show more intensity and harass the defence.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought something similar in the last few games... we seem to be able to get players to the by line a lot and the balls go across the box with nobody in there..
It's because all of Martial, Rashford, Lingard and James don't have the instinct of natural strikers to get those tap ins. Greenwood right now is looking the closest to it in our team which is great because it means there would be more space for Rashford etc to get those cutbacks and the like if we had a proper poacher occupying their defenders.

musterd

Without looking at stats, I came away from the game surprised by how much off the ball work Martial was putting in. Followed by Lingard. Only time I noticed Rashford was when he was messing up the final ball. He was having an off day for sure.

Really glad the second team attacked in front of us! The movement of the ball was so much quicker and there was an incisiveness to their attack even things as basic as timing of overlapping runs looked purposeful. Greenwood and Chong need to be integrated into the first team asap for sure; so much confidence and desire to impress.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Yes . Good high pressing a bit of zip about our play . Youth trying things and Pogba and co . Feeding off that . I'm loving the youth coming through I thought Greenwood and Chong, axel were all very good today . Nothing would make me happier than seeing these guys progress even if it takes a few years . Really enjoyed their enthusiastic style of play . Well done Ole
Yeah. Usually we'll have may be one youth player in the pre season group who has enough talent and confidence to express themselves a bit. This time we have three or four, plus the likes of James, Bissaka, Dalot, Rashford, Tuanzebe etc. Who are already established to a degree yet only really in the age group just above that. Arguably Martial as well who's around the same age.

We really could do with a young midfielder and centre back and then we pretty much have a core of players which in theory you can build things around for a number of years.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Without looking at stats, I came away from the game surprised by how much off the ball work Martial was putting in. Followed by Lingard. Only time I noticed Rashford was when he was messing up the final ball. He was having an off day for sure.
I can see a dilemma there with Martial and Rashford. Rashford I'm always really impressed by when he plays up front through the middle. When he's out on the left he just seems to want to take on silly shots or run into dead ends. He also spends a lot of time literally just standing still with the ball. It's like two completely different players.

Martial though he can play well on the left often looks completely disinterested there. Where as through the middle yesterday he suddenly looked alive and was hunting for the ball all the time and causing problems.

I'm not sure how you find a way to get both playing well in the same system.

Crashoutcassius

It's because all of Martial, Rashford, Lingard and James don't have the instinct of natural strikers to get those tap ins. Greenwood right now is looking the closest to it in our team which is great because it means there would be more space for Rashford etc to get those cutbacks and the like if we had a proper poacher occupying their defenders.
yes he's the only one that seems to want to get there