Manchester United vs Inter Milan (Sat 20th July, 12:30 UK time)

gerdm07

Thinks we should have kept Pereira
What game were you watching? Martial was far better than Rashford, James & Lingard today and was involved in 3 big chances in the 60 mins he played?
Martial was good in spots, just not enough. He is just a frustrating player because he loses the ball so often when he shouldn't. He telegraphs his pass, his passes are not accurate and he makes so many weird decisions. Just not a smart player and I could say he is pretty dumb too often.

United Hobbit

I missed the second half as had to go out but enjoying how excited everyone sounds! Hopefully we can carry it on, didnt we fail to win a game last pre season even against the smaller clubs? Tottenham will be a very reflective test of where we currently are.

How are we looking fitness wise? Are we managing to sustain the high press?

I'd be inclined to integrate certainly the likes of Greenwood next season, haven't seen much of Gomes but most of the comments on here about him are positive despite his size, I think smaller, skilled players are becoming more of an asset look at Salah, Kante and of course Messi so hopefully he isnt being held back on purely that.
Good to hear Chong is doing better however I'd maybe give him a half season loan in a PL side just to give him a bit of consistency as it sounds like he's done better the more he plays. If we are still in most of the cups in January we can give him some games.

I think people will be a lot more patient, like Liverpool fans were with Klopp if they can see Ole clearly has a plan, the football is exciting, you can see pieces starting to fit together and he also does what he says eg gives the kids game time etc. If we just see the same old Chuckle Brothers/ Mata/ Young/ Lukaku line ups playing awful football, people will be quicker to jump on him.

Isnt Lukaku the only player on the tour yet to be fit enough to play? Not that I want to see him. Hes still looked too big in the photos of him training

Ishpan2

What game were you watching? Martial was far better than Rashford, James & Lingard today and was involved in 3 big chances in the 60 mins he played?
The problem with Martial is that he is world class for a 30 second time frame every 10 minutes. For the rest of the time, he barely touches the ball, doesn't distribute to his teammates, and fails to make good runs off the ball to take away defenders.

Reactions: Sultan

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The problem with Martial is that he is world class for a 30 second time frame every 10 minutes. For the rest of the time, he barely touches the ball, doesn't distribute to his teammates, and fails to make good runs off the ball to take away defenders.
If a player is world class for 30 seconds per 10 minutes, they’re world class and making a huge contribution and seeing more than their fair share of the ball.

Canagel

Yes even looking from the highlights I don't understand how anyone could say he played badly or had no effect.
Made 3 very good chances that could've been put away for a comfortable scoreline.

Last edited:

Ishpan2

If a player is world class for 30 seconds per 10 minutes, they’re world class and making a huge contribution and seeing more than their fair share of the ball.
0 of his moments led to goals. In the meantime, our team basically was playing with 10 men on the pitch for 9.5/10 minutes. My problem isn't that he doesn't do enough magic, it's that he does nothing to help his teammates when it's their turn to be on the ball.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
0 of his moments led to goals. In the meantime, our team basically was playing with 10 men on the pitch for 9.5/10 minutes. My problem isn't that he doesn't do enough magic, it's that he does nothing to help his teammates when it's their turn to be on the ball.
My dispute was that you were too generous with your life valuation of him. There’s not many players that see the ball for 30 seconds every 10 minutes and none of them are world class that consistently.

relx

Frnkie Sys
Great atmosphere (except for the booing of course) considering it's only pre-season. Just watched the full game; fans in Singapore seemed really up for it and cheered for everything :lol: Superb

Players look fit and raring to go. Looking forward to the next game against Spurs!

romufc

You cant expect a player to pop out with magic every time he touches the ball? I think Martial showed glimses of what is to come this season, he knows if he doesn't perform Greenwood, James and Gomes will pounce.

Ishpan2

You cant expect a player to pop out with magic every time he touches the ball? I think Martial showed glimses of what is to come this season, he knows if he doesn't perform Greenwood, James and Gomes will pounce.
I think you misunderstood me. My issue isn't with his magic; he is the most talented dribbler on the team. My issue is with everything else -- he doesn't seem to focus on the little things and work hard to make his teammates around him better. Martial needs to be a better team player imo, be more involved in team movement rather than occasionally producing a great dribble and trying to take on the whole other team by himself.

romufc

I think you misunderstood me. My issue isn't with his magic; he is the most talented dribbler on the team. My issue is with everything else -- he doesn't seem to focus on the little things and work hard to make his teammates around him better. Martial needs to be a better team player imo, be more involved in team movement rather than occasionally producing a great dribble and trying to take on the whole other team by himself.

Yeah, I agree his application seems a bit off, like when he loses the ball his body language seems like he is not bothered, whereas others would chase back to win the ball back.

I also think he is a good dribbler but defenders have worked him out so he needs to add a different dimension to his play.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
World class. Not for me even in flashes.
He most certainly is not a team player and acts as if he doesn't really like the game.
Far too lazy. But talented. Such a waste.