Manchester United vs Kristiansund BK (Tue 30th July, 18:00 UK time)

Ban

We were dominant, just lacked that little bit of finesse to really cut them open, and to be fair to them, they defended well overall and made no mistakes at the back apart from the one for the pen at the very end, by their 3rd choice keeper who was not fully fit apparently.
Thanks mate. :)
How were our younguns?

Ace of Spades

So just ceremonial and cringey typical modern football moment then as expected.
It is anything but cringy or typical of modern football. Modern football would never allow an injured player to play, as it risks a valuable asset that is worth some money. Modern football no room for sentiments.

Thanks mate. :)
How were our younguns?
Looked good, did not really put a foot wrong. Apart from young Lingard, this level is still too soon for him, he needs time. :angel:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
It is anything but cringy or typical of modern football. Modern football would never allow an injured player to play, as it risks a valuable asset that is worth some money. Modern football no room for sentiments.
He only got them because it was against United. It would have been a great moment if it had occurred naturally but it was fabricated probably by some PR guy pitching it starting with the words "guys imagine the likes and retweets".

And he probably took a spot from someone who is at this time far more deserving of getting to play what might be a career highlight appearance against one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Ace of Spades

He only got them because it was against United. It would have been a great moment if it had occurred naturally but it was fabricated probably by some PR guy pitching it starting with the words "guys imagine the likes and retweets".

And he probably took a spot from someone who is at this time far more deserving of getting to play what might be a career highlight appearance against one of the biggest clubs in the world.
You are right that it was because it was against United, but he got it because he was a fan, and it was a meaningless friendly. Also, how do you know that it did not occur naturally ?? He is the 3rd choice keeper and a part of the squad. You literally have imagined some scenario about it being done for 'Likes and retweets'. Football clubs would not risk an actual valuable asset for something stupid and worthless like 'likes and retweets'. Modern football would not risk something of actual value for something as worthless as Twitter activity.

And no, he did not take the spot from anyone as he is the 3rd choice keeper. If he did not play, then the second choice keeper would have played till the end, which is normal.

Bestietom

Still can't manage to put the ball in the net, and against lowly opposition. Anyone expecting Rashford to score 20/30 goals for us this season should wake up now.

wolvored

It showed how poor we are in front of goal I thought. First half with our main attack of Martial and Rashford especially. We were playing a team that is (on paper anyroad) 4th division/league 2 standard. City or Liverpool would have put at least 5 past them. We need a top striker at least, Dybala or Dembele ( the players that are mentioned in the press) would improve our attack loads and someone like Fernandez who can score long range.

Nialinho

Tough not to watch this game and think that we have little chance of taking the 6 points we need to from clubs like Palace, Burnley and Watford who can drop deep and make things difficult for us and still pose a threat on the counter.

The only players I'd really say are above average Prem starters against a club parking the bus are Pogba, Mata and Dalot and the latter two (correctly) won't start. Lindelof probably is in possession but isn't a threat on set pieces so he goes back to average. That's shocking.

I think some managers who generally like to attack and press a bit higher are going to abandon those principles against us and let us get the ball out wide, pack the middle and don't allow space in behind for our speedy but headless forwards.
Jesus it's one preseason game and you now think we'll struggle to take 6 points off the likes of Palace, Watford and Burnley? :lol:

We've actually been very impressive in preseason as a whole, we seemed to forget a lot of what we've been working on yesterday but come on man!

I know last seasons catastrophic ending is still fresh in the mind but we have more than a few 'above average Prem starters'. Lindelof has to be a set piece threat to be above average?! :houllier:

Not really sure about your logic when it comes to judging the squad..

ThinkTank@Cafe

Up to Alesund...pfft
If you have to travel around Norway you go UP to Skarsvag, like a real man!
Yep)) My bad. It was pretty spontaneous. Booked flight on 10th and flew on 12th. That Ålesund is not even mid, forget about up, I realized only on the spot. Next time start at Trondheim to Lofoten and all the way to North Cap.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
You are right that it was because it was against United, but he got it because he was a fan, and it was a meaningless friendly. Also, how do you know that it did not occur naturally ?? He is the 3rd choice keeper and a part of the squad. You literally have imagined some scenario about it being done for 'Likes and retweets'. Football clubs would not risk an actual valuable asset for something stupid and worthless like 'likes and retweets'. Modern football would not risk something of actual value for something as worthless as Twitter activity.

And no, he did not take the spot from anyone as he is the 3rd choice keeper. If he did not play, then the second choice keeper would have played till the end, which is normal.
Calm down, I was just doing a parody of the bitter Chelsea fan on the previous page who for some odd reason was moaning about Noah getting five minutes.

K13

Just pleased this game is out the way. It was hardly an inspiring fixture and given it was a friendly as well really pleased to see the intensity at the level it was from our established players.

I think we are building nicely for the season and can see a shape and relationships developing in all areas especially with the first batch of players to take the pitch. A lot of really good work off the ball and some 'nearly' things that hopefully will start to happen once the real games start. So many chances/half chances created - well done their keeper on a wonderful display.

Last 30 I thought we looked a bit disjointed to start with but Mata and Pogba settled things down. Fred just looks like he needs more minutes to fine tune his game. Another vital 30 mins of learning experience for the younger players who did really well for players so young/inexperienced but often that is an advantage in pre-season where there is no pressure to win games. Hopefully they will continue to improve/learn and be interesting to see what their future holds in terms of loan deals/squad player this season. Ole has given them chances and no reason to believe that if he and his coaching team see enough on the training pitch and in games (ie can they follow tactical instructions) then I am sure those that can will be involved.

reddevil80

Still can't manage to put the ball in the net, and against lowly opposition. Anyone expecting Rashford to score 20/30 goals for us this season should wake up now.
Don't agree there, from what I saw and read, Rashford started on the left with Martial through the middle. Hopefully for us and OGS' future, that was a trial to see what they would be like in those different positions. Martial is not an out and out striker, he is a winger from the left albeit not as brilliant as his introduction was and Rashford is not a left winger. Rashford through the middle will be a different kettle of fish next season. He's had one pre-season game where he hasn't been proficient and you are writing him off already. For my money, he will get 20-30 this season.

ThinkTank@Cafe

My summary:

Agree with the video analysis posted by FootyGirl88 and see this game as another sample.

4-2-3-1 is a good description of players average positions. 4-4-1-1 or 4-4-2 when defending and 2-3-1-4/2-3-2-3 in positional attack.

All formations are very narrow. We are likely to increase our XG compared to JM easily because of much bigger number of players who has license to go into opposition box.

Front 4, 2 fullbacks, 2 CMs. 8 players potentially. Typically: 3 of front 4 making runs, either of fullbacks (depends on the flank), either of CMs. That’s 5 players in the box and 3 in supporting roles around. Not bad at all.

Flanks: no sign of lonely Young or Valencia on the flanks. Shaw is playing very narrow, AWB mostly narrow. The only wide fullback is Dalot. It makes sense as we need flexibility and tactical options. On the left flank width is provided by wide forward, on the right - depends on situation.

Rashford started on the left. My guess: because of his workrate. In defense left forward becomes left midfielder sitting pretty deep. Dan James will play a lot for the same reasons. Chong impressed me with his speed and covering the pitch.

Right flank is a lot more lively. McT played a big role in that. AWB also contributes by being another body in/outside the box and, more importantly, being a competent defensive cover for McT’s runs. Fantastic buy.

CMs. I hope Ole’s idea is to use both CMs
in the attacking phase. One at a time. CMs switch between DLP and CAM roles. If one is CAM another is holding. It’s brilliant.

We lack personnel and training for that yet. Matic is limited. Can’t go forward. DLP. Fred is enigma. MCT is £50 million player for free. Courtesy of N.Butt and the guys in Youth.

Mr. Pogba? He is the best in that role in the world IF he becomes more disciplined and more willing to play team tactics. Not his own tactics. Free role or whatever. There’s no free role in the modern football. It’s a luxury.

If Pogba plays as Ole wants and MCT continues his progress, we will have formidable pairing, a backbone of mega team.

Side note: SMS would be and ideal addition to the squad.

Worries:

Shooting. it’s typical issue for a preseason. Players are more concentrated on tactics and teamwork. Less time for individual training. We are in BIG trouble if it’s not preseason problem.

Final third creativity. Big problem. Lingard is level below of United’s 10. Ole found an (I hope) interim solution: Lingard’s off the ball movement and stamina tires opposition, and then Mata comes with his brain, technique and experience. I bet Mata for Lingard will be the most popular sub next season. We need Mata. In Lingard and Mata hybrid we have our number 10.

Build up from the back. A couple of times When KBK were pressing high we reverted to long balls.

No left back cover. It is a big problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: Invictus

WireMUFC

He only got them because it was against United, coached by his father. It would have been a great moment if it had occurred naturally but it was fabricated probably by some PR guy pitching it starting with the words "guys imagine the likes and retweets". (i'm assuming it didn't come from the Solskjaer's as that would be even worse)

And he probably took a spot from someone who is and their son in the same spot, i'm sure you'd all be singing the same tune as you are now :rolleyes:
You’ve got it all wrong, I don’t think it started with likes and retweet’s, it was an absolutely meaningless game. He came on for 5 minutes. And your point about Gerrard or Terry, why would we care about a pre season game where their son came on? What are you talking about?

Even if we did criticise it they are hated by united fans, Ole is loved and you’re on a Manchester United forum. You’re view on things seems very distorted. As a united fan, Oles son coming on to make his debut against Man United against his dad for 5 minutes seemed like a nice thing. Had nothing to do with Likes and Retweets, that’s the world YOU live in.

He won us the treble in injury time and scored 126 goals for us he is a club legend, it’s a nice moment for him to see his son play against united, and for his son who’s a man united fan. Cheer up please.

Edit: didn’t realise you were a Chelsea fan, it’s hard to tell anymore with some of our entitled fans. You all sound the same.

Last edited:

red4ever 79

Watching that last night was like grinding your teeth. Started off quite promising for the first 15 mins with a high press and intensity and after that reverted to a pedestrian testimonial affair.

Positives from the first half were McTomminay driving forwards and looking strong. Martial was tracking back and showing a big of effort and AWB looks solid.

Negatives Matic too slow, gives the ball away often. Lingard is the least effective number 10 I have ever seen play. Rashford is still all over the place and cant be relied on to score 20+goals.

After 60 mins we changed the whole team. I thought Chong looked direct and threatened, Greenwood looks a player, been our best attacker on pre-season. Fred looked poor caught out of position and gave the ball away. Pogba strolled around not putting in any effort before delivering one world class pass to win the penalty.

All in all it was a very poor showing, against a poor team. Our inability to score goals will again cost us dear this season unless we sign a decent number 10 who can not only create but score goals and a more clinical striker.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
Everyone got to play, even a 16 years old. Noah is 19 and got 7 minutes and he IS part of Kristiansund’s junior team, like many of the others who got this uniqe chance to play against world stars. Why look for problems where there are none.
If as you say everyone got to play, I stand corrected.

NoPace

Jesus it's one preseason game and you now think we'll struggle to take 6 points off the likes of Palace, Watford and Burnley? :lol:

We've actually been very impressive in preseason as a whole, we seemed to forget a lot of what we've been working on yesterday but come on man!

I know last seasons catastrophic ending is still fresh in the mind but we have more than a few 'above average Prem starters'. Lindelof has to be a set piece threat to be above average?! :houllier:

Not really sure about your logic when it comes to judging the squad..
Your 3rd paragraph suggests you misread or misunderstood my post. The Lindelof part especially.

There's a real difference between playing teams that sit back and go direct and ones who try to build from the back and press and stretch the game.

I haven't seen anything this preseason to suggest that - while we'll be better against the latter teams now that Ole has us actually pressing and in shape - we won't struggle to break down bunkering teams.

Our strikers aren't good in the air or at attacking crosses generally. Nor are they great at linking up in tight spaces. Our wingers can't really cross, our fullbacks are very good defensively but can't either.

Is there a single player on the team other than Mata who would make the run in behind that win the game? Is there a player other than Pogba (or Mata) who would have spotted the run and slipped the ball through?

Lingard might genuinely get the least assists of any #10 in the entire Prem if given a full season there.

There's transfer market time to get help, but when we finish 4th or 6th or whatever but have some good performances with Ole instilling a fun and modern system, I'll bet it's because we struggle to break down teams who can actually hurt us on the counter with a goal or 2 and won't concede 3 if they give us the ball and sit 9 or 10 behind the ball.

Last edited:

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I feel people should calm down a bit with the "oh lord have mercy" comments when it comes to the team as a whole after this game.

If you watched the game, you will surely have noticed the enormous amount of massive-risk plays, overpassing and general "play with your mates" football that was going on. There was nothing on that pitch that resembled a organized Premier League side, because the players treated it as a funtime trainig game where you can try everything. The team had something close to 78% ball possession without playing a possession game. They were simply absurdly faster, more conditioned and skilled than the opposition. Kristiansund is a mid-table Norwegian elite team who are in the middle of the season, but yesterday they werent even playing the same sport.

Did everyone already forget the dominant pressing games against Tottenham and Inter Milan? Actual top class teams? No? Instead you choose to focus on a game that means little more than a calm jog to showcase the team to Norwegian fans? Really, DDG could have put out a chair and read a book instead of tending to the goal.

Yes there was a lack of finishing, some bad luck, some actual quality goalkeeping, but most importantly no one got injured, the team absolutely steamrolled a opponent playing on casual pace, and should have won something resembling 10-0 if any of the players were taking the task at hand seriously, instead of trying every shot known to humanity for show.

Like really, this pre-season has been GREAT! The team has played so well and really started to solidify what kind of playing identity we want, and here comes the rainy day parade to rain on the parade with piss and vinegar because we play a exhibition match.

Nialinho

Your 3rd paragraph suggests you misread or misunderstood my post. The Lindelof part especially.

There's a real difference between playing teams that sit back and go direct and ones who try to build from the back and press and stretch the game.

I haven't seen anything this preseason to suggest that - while we'll be better against the latter teams now that Ole has us actually pressing and in shape - we'll stikkstruggle to break down bunkering teams.
The fact the team is fitter and in a more attacking pressing system than last year will help us break sides down. Having pace and more quality on the flanks with AWB and Dan James and shifting Mata/Lingard to center positions will also help. Pogba playing deeper and perhaps the likes of Dybala and/or Fernandes signing would also make us a much more creative, dangerous side. I just don't think there's the need to be so depressed, we've won all our preseason games and we are finally looking to establish a real identity moving forward regardless of who comes in.

Do you mean that Lindelof can't be above average against sh*thouse teams like Burnley but is above average against better ball playing sides because he's not a set piece threat? I just can't understand that logic mate.

Gandalf

What did he get? 5 minutes? So just ceremonial and cringey typical modern football moment then as expected.
You are entitled to your opinion. Garner was just getting 10 minutes at the end of games against Perth Glory so I suppose that was cringey too? In future maybe clubs should skip blooding younger players in pre season games and just go straight to 90 minutes in a league match for their debut so that it doesn't look ceremonial.

Bullhitter

Supports
Chelsea
You are entitled to your opinion. Garner was just getting 10 minutes at the end of games against Perth Glory so I suppose that was cringey too? In future maybe clubs should skip blooding younger players in pre season games and just go straight to 90 minutes in a league match for their debut so that it doesn't look ceremonial.
Come on, first as I said above if he wasn't taking an appearance away from another player then I have less of a problem with it but obviously given who the fixture was against makes a difference.. I do find it cringey but that's just personal taste and based on my assumption that if they had been playing Inter Milan he would not have suddenly been called up to train with the first team and make a debut appearance.

It's not the first time something like that has been done so this isn't a United/Solskjaer issue. I think I remember something with Eidur Gudjohnsen coming on as a sub replacing his father for Iceland and something with Henrik Larsson and his son too.

(but I appreciate you articulating your point of disagreement as you did, worthy of a response)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Looked good, did not really put a foot wrong. Apart from young Lingard, this level is still too soon for him, he needs time. :angel:
Yes poor young boy. When he gets a bit older he will fulfil his potential.
You must not put too much pressure on such a young player. After all he is still so young and inexperienced.
Maybe when he gets to 26 or even 27 then we can judge him.