Kick-off
Wed, 5 August 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

King Andow

If we needed any more reminders that Lingard, James and Mata have no business being anywhere near a United squad, let alone getting on the pitch regularly...

Fred and McTominay are decent back-ups but we desperately need a proper long term replacement for Matic, because neither of them have a hope of being it.
    Lingard had 2 flicks and 4 or 5 brainfarts where he lost possession, in the entire half, and people are praising him. I don't know what's going on :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Well, this isn't the red hot display I was thinking it'd be, being 5-0 up from the away game, and having a mix and match second team most of whom haven't played much for ages.

Godfather

I genuinely can not understand how Ole continues to play Fosu-Mensah ahead of Dalot. Even if he doesn't see a future at the club for Dalot, how the feck can he see one for Fosu Mensah. He is Championship level at best, and James is even worse. I hate the "Low on confidence" excuse as well. They are low on ability, end of. And if McTomminay is our back up for Matic going into next season, god help us. Feel sorry for Ighalo. And to a lesser extent, Mata. You can see his brain is still there but his legs are gone completely.
    Don't get it either. At least he knows how to deliver a cross.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Our first team is just too good, and these players know they have zero chance to break into the team. Fred, Mata, McT, Mata, they all seem to be demoralised. Lingard, well, he is just Lingard.
    Our first team amassed 66pts and finished over 30pts from the champions. Its certainly not 'too good' it's just the second 11 makes them look like 1970 Brazil.

Gasolin

Our players need to think that sometimes, the forward is just there to push the opposition defense, and the best player to pass is the one right behind him so that he gets the space to think and either score or pass!!!

SirScholes

We're 5-0 up and most of these players aren't match fit... What were you expecting?
    That would work if it wasn’t for the standard of opposition
    And they zero excuse for not being match fit, been able to train for a long time now.
    Knowing that they might only get a couple chances to prove their worth they should be chomping at the bit and instead they serve up this

edgecutter

Must be watching a totally different game he’s lost the ball almost every occasion and just runs into people
    Have to agree, Lingard hasn't done much to warrant any praise. The guy is on the same money as Jack Grealish

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
    That should be a reminder for all the people who criticised Ole for not rotating more during the run in. Dreadful, utterly dreadful. The players out there have one setting: sideways.

People got giddy off of our strong finish to the season. In truth, what we're seeing tonight is not unusual for Man Utd without Bruno and Pogba. We looked a lot like this for half the season when we were losing to Bournemouth and Watford and so on.

To think the other day someone actually made a thread claiming our second string was at Liverpool's level. :lol: Origi and Oxlade-Chamberlain etc would be running riot against such low quality opponents. LASK have actually looked the better team.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    Jake Humphrey is so annoying. The fact there was a header off the bar already makes it not the worst match I’ve ever sat through.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
    Romero was nearly caught off guard on one of there corners, but for the most part his positioning has been fairly good.

Fosu Mensah is a decent defender, and a brilliant athlete, but he gets nose bleeds when he gets into the oppositions half or has to make a progressive pass

Bailly hasn't had a major brain fart as of yet, and also hasn't tried to kill anyone

Maguire needs to break the first line of defense more often, when he does it he's very dangerous, especially with Mata able to position himself in a separate pocket

Williams hasn't had much to do, as they have attacked quite narrow, and on occasion down our right, offered little going forward

Fred has been our best player, tidy passer, positioning has been decent.

McTominay is looking frustrated, silly yellow card, should have done better when he got in behind.

Mata started off poor, improved when he moved infield. Technically brilliant but he looks rusty, and he's hardly a unit on the best of days

Lingard a couple of really nice touches and one really poor one that even will pile on because it's the meta, he looks fitter and sharper than most. Pressing well as usual but we need more from him.

James anonymous for the most part, his decision making needs to improve if he's to make it here, even as a squad player

Ighalo his hold up play has been OK, not great. I feel like he will be upset with the delivery he's been getting, but with the pace of James and Lingard, he could afford to drop deeper occasionally.

SirScholes

It’s actually cruel to put Juan Mata on the pitch. I’ve been one of his biggest critics for a few seasons but I just feel sorry for him now. Our 2nd XI versus a very poor side and he’s still comfortably the worst player on the pitch
    Certainly cruel to play him on the wing ! Always has been! His face is so red the poor bloke

Utdstar01

I'm glad fans aren't able to attend this game. Imagine paying for this shite.

hobbers

Lingard had 2 flicks and 4 or 5 brainfarts where he lost possession, in the entire half, and people are praising him. I don't know what's going on :lol:
    It is quite laughable how low people's expectations for him are, and yet he still doesn't meet them.

A player of this quality he's shown today wouldn't get on the bench for most of the bottom half teams in Prem. That's all there is to it.

Icemav

Praising an amazing performance by his standards. Encouragement breeds confidence.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
    Seriously though, that goalkeeper kit..

I had a few United goalkeeper kits when I played between the sticks over a decade ago and feck me.. that jersey is making me want to put my gloves back on

It's so beautiful

Romero looks like a godamn butterfly out there

Tony247

Totally. He is playing no. 10 role. Should have been heavily involved. Instead just invisible as always, running here and there. Then there is mata who just wants to run the show by himself. Crazy incompatible midfield pair.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Bailly fred Ighalo and romero probably the only ones coming out on par so far. Attack have been wasteful and look slow in the brain, zero ideas.

Charlie Foley

Lingard has been better than expected honestly. A few nice touches. We aren’t playing well but we’ve been a final pass (Maor a poor finish away from a goal a few times.

no one in yet massively staking a claim for a first team spot out of our back ups playing (I guess Romero isn’t making mistakes unlike DDG lately...) though Fred is pretty clearly our best centre mid coming off the bench.

worth remembering too it’s not really about how all these players play as a disjointed unit together but how they fit in to a lineup with more first eleven players that matters.they all look weaker playing alongside other weaker players-for example a better player puts Ighalo through a few times.
    Fairly dull half overall, as expected when we saw the lineup

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    I don't think we've been doing so badly.

Also, I just tuned into the match two minutes ago.
    Haha. You might wanna just go back to what you were doing. You’ve missed LASK hitting the bar, and Maguire with his customary free header missing the target. That’s literally it.

Foxbatt

Yeah true that, as you kind of get the last Del La Hoya fight vibe off him.
    Del La Hoya will still run faster than him now. But as another OP said the commentator has already said that Mata looks like the player who will unlock this defense. He has lost it long time ago.

SAFMUTD

All the ones saying James is good for counter attacks when given space, well not even at that.

Useless player, should get rid before other teams realize how shitty he is and we end up trapped with him.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
    It is quite laughable how low people's expectations for him are, and yet he still doesn't meet them.

A player of this quality he's shown today wouldn't get on the bench for most of the bottom half teams in Prem. That's all there is to it.
    That's absolute shite. Is he good enough to be starting week in week out for us? No. Would he start for the majority of the sides in the league? Yes.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
    No both are playing poor no double standard just the same under performing one
    Lingard is clearly a far superior footballer than James. And I am not a Lingard fan whatsoever.

I’d quite happily never see either in our shirt again. Just being honest. Lingard is West Ham level. James is lower league standard

In Rainbows

Yeah now he'll might never get the chance to play for a big club again. He would have had that chance at some point again. This season or the next.
    This means nothing. If he's good enough he will play for a big club again. If he's not, then why does it matter if he stayed here or not? It's his career and I think he made a good decision to get himself more playing time at first team level.

Superunknown

I think part of the issue is the way that these guys are all playing together at the same time. There isn't really a creative spark there or anybody with that brain or intelligence to try things. When you put one or two of these guys into the starting 11, they will perform better because they're surrounded by better players. Ighalo is definitely missing having someone there to get the ball to him. There were occasions in the first half where both Mata and then TFM had the ball on the right and Ighalo is there waiting to get the ball for a tap-in, but the ball didn't make it to him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 164 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • LASK win
  • Draw