Kick-off
Wed, 5 August 2020 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

eire-red

I sometimes wonder if I'm watching the same game as other people. James was very poor, but Timo done exactly what you expect from him. Defensively solid, physically dominant, but offers very little going forward.

Lingard also was decent to good, apart from one shite touch that the whole thread thought was infuriating. By no means did he have a worse game than Mata.

I don't mean to pick on you in particular, I just genuinely wonder what some players have to do to have their opinion on them changed after social media and rubbish journos set their rot in.
    I think you have to discuss it context of the opposition. LASK are pretty poor, so I think we should be seeing more from TFM on the ball.

Mata set up both of our goals and knitted together pretty much every good bit of play we had going forward. You could see how frustrated he was getting with the likes of TFM, James etc being constantly in good positions and never found, poorly weighted passes etc.

Lingard, meh. He was poor, you'd expect much more from a guy widely reported to be fighting for his place, had a decent few moments in the second half granted.

I get what you're saying about TFM though, what you see is what you get. But even against opposition like LASK he was caught out at times and looked nervous on the ball, just a completely lack of quality down the right with him and James. Neither are nowhere near the level required in my opinion.

Knux

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    El Mago with 2 assists today. Still pulling the strings in Europa.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    Poor first half, much better second half, there was some interesting performances throughout. Romero should stay throughout this competition, did fine, no chance with the goal. Fosu Mensah although solid defensively, is poor at passing and general awareness, did much better second half though, got forward well. Bailly looked solid throughout, Maguire the same, Williams again got forward better second half, but needs to work on stopping those crosses coming in. McTominay and Fred were a bit all over the place first half, misplaced passes, missed tackles, but much better second half, James was a bit disappointing with his final pass, needs to learn more awareness. Mata was lost on the right, again much better in the second half when more central. Lingard had some good moments, but his touch is not great, Ighalo worked hard, and a few times got in some great positions in but the final ball in was appalling. Why we break well down the wings, then play the ball back to Bailly or Maguire eventually infuriates me, I must admit though, we seemed to attack more and try and get round the back better second half, they must have got a rocket at half time. Pogba looked class when he came on, he needs to put in the performance every game. Pereira played better than I'd seen previously, not sure he's long term, but decent squad player, has some skill, needs better game management. Chong, as wing back, looked pretty good, quite solid defensively, and some skill going forward. Probably needs a season loan. Mengi looked ok, difficult to make much of a judgement in s few minutes. Martial = class act.

sparx99

Could be! Dream job! Get to watch football and just responsible for that tiny detail!
    I forget where I saw it but there is a team of them who add sounds to the Olympic games. Events like skiing are filmed with no sound recording because the cameras are all out on the course so guys have to add sounds in for TV.

KevinJoh

The main problem in this game, and usually with this setup is that Fred and McTominay together can't control the midfield, and with some of Lingard/Pereira and Mata in front they don't have any help. They are afraid and under slight pressure they can't calm down and as soon as possible they release the ball forward (making mistakes), or they pass sideways just to avoid losing the ball. Without player who is calm on the ball they can't do it, and the whole game broke apart. Nothing to do with full backs or forwards who are out of game in those situations, and who are waiting for counters. To make it worse, they don't have defensive help from Mata and Lingard today, so rival players controlling center of midfield and running behind them all the time which makes problem to defenders. LASK players had too much time on ball in 25 yards without any pressure which is disaster against good side.

I think back line was OK defensively today. I see hate against both Fosu and Williams, but they both did OK bar a one or two mistakes (which is more than enough but not comparing to midfield). Unfortunately both have not been good in final third as usual. Not sure where Fosu hate come from. Kid did not play for ages, and came back in last few weeks. I think he did OK. Yes, he lacks final ball in final third, but he looks better on ball than AWB (not that hard) and did the same as AWB would do against any rival. From what I remember from youth categories TFM can do it better so maybe he needs games and can get it there. I don't think he was bad today, solid 6.

Mata was really bad for me, he had few good balls, 2 assists, but more than a few times he killed pretty good situations and was very slow in posession, and especially in covering his part of the field. Let too much pressure on two behind and too much space for rival to control.

Also, I see hate against James. He had bad game once again, but he did made good runs, his positions have been OK, but he failed to give good final ball in a couple of situations when he could provide easy assists. It is positive for me, as he is making better runs than before, but on the other hand looks like his confidence is low and we are not helping him. I really think he can improve a lot, and think he improved already positioning and runs.

Knux

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    And everyone kept bitching about carebear Mata.
    Rusty as feck yes and maybe the best of the rest but still two fkin assists. Suck it haters. /rant
    Agreed. Still more class than most of our bench when starting XI plays. Give him some minutes with Bruno, Pogba and Martial and see how he link up. Still much better than fecking James, Lingard and Pereira.

SirScholes

Agreed. Still more class than most of our bench when starting XI plays. Give him some minutes with Bruno, Pogba and Martial and see how he link up. Still much better than fecking James, Lingard and Pereira.
    I mean he didn’t have a good game but when his teammates were giving him balls to run into I felt for him
    That’s never been in his locker let alone now

Knux

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    I mean he didn’t have a good game but when his teammates were giving him balls to run into I felt for him
    That’s never been in his locker let alone now
    A bit rusty of course but can still do a job 45 min. Especially when defences needs to be opened up. He have good chemistry with Bruno and Martial. I mean even Messi would look bad if playing with James and Lingard, no joke.

Mick1

Imagine what this team can do with a 20 goal a season striker

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Hasn’t got the legs anymore but two assists and laid another on a plate for Martial.
    Yep in the end the stats look good but he had a pretty poor game imo. Still good enough for this level though clearly!

SirScholes

A bit rusty of course but can still do a job 45 min. Especially when defences needs to be opened up. He have good chemistry with Bruno and Martial. I mean even Messi would look bad if playing with James and Lingard, no joke.
    Apologies I deleted my reply thought it was about lingard I didn’t read it properly ha
    Yer I understand, when martial and pogba came on to play it to his feet (like the other should of been doing) he improved.

great man to have in the dressing room and training pitch for the younger players as well

Knux

Supports
    AIK Stockholm
    Apologies I deleted my reply thought it was about lingard I didn’t read it properly ha
    Yer I understand, when martial and pogba came on to play it to his feet (like the other should of been doing) he improved.

great man to have in the dressing room and training pitch for the younger players as well
    Yeah no problem, I saw that you deleted :)
    I think that he can be useful to have around for one more season. We need to be realistic and he will most probably feature in FA cup and maybe some minutes in CL and PL.

Very likeable person and have won almost everything in football. Also have a creative feature that the rest of our bench lacks atm. His speed is gone though.

A-man

I forget where I saw it but there is a team of them who add sounds to the Olympic games. Events like skiing are filmed with no sound recording because the cameras are all out on the course so guys have to add sounds in for TV.
    Didn’t know that but it makes sense!

Jaqen H'ghar

I can't drive...55
    Not a bad game.

Lingard was man of the match for me, Romero also did well. McTominay was a bit meh, the rest were decent.

On to the next.

A-man

Didn’t know that but it makes sense!

jesperjaap

You’re never supposed to use all your squad players together though. You have to imagine only one or two of them with the first XI at a time.
    Yes that is a very fair point. I do agree with that, but do still feel a lot of that second string are not good enough

jesperjaap

Cool. So once you've sold 50% of our players, what then?
    We need five quality signings. Signing a player like Grealish for example is like signing 3/4 players as he adds competition to a few positions, and although Sancho is signed for the right wing, the same goes for him as well as he can play both flanks and also in a different way Fernandes position too.

Just signing Grealish pretty much covers the need for Pereirra, Mata, Lingard and Daniel James.

Point is basically you dont have to sign 10 players to replace 10 players. Also when you look at the youngsters on the cusp of brekaing through like Laird and Mengi, these players can make up the numbers.

We probably have a squad with the youngsters available of way over 30players. Three have been on loan with the aim to sell, which one thankfully has been. Having a big squad doesnt make a strong squad. Not going to happen, but for arguments sake, we could sell 10/12 players this summer and buy 5 and have a far stronger squad of 25players

sparx99

Yes that is a very fair point. I do agree with that, but do still feel a lot of that second string are not good enough
    yeah I agree. What’s nice is that we’ve been worried about the first XI for so long! Now we are talking about backups and depth.

John Keiler

Does Maguire not know how to head downwards?

Whatever his daily rate is now, get Davey boy in for a day to teach these buggers how to cross a ball.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 164 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • LASK win
  • Draw