Kick-off
Sun, 20 December 2020 @ 4:30pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    ................VS.....................

Date - Sunday, December 20 2020

Kickoff Time - 1630 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

League standings and form guide

6. Manchester United: WWWDW
    13. Leeds United: DWLLW

Previous League Meetings

Manchester United 1—1 Leeds United

Leeds United 0—1 Manchester United

Manchester United 2—1 Leeds United

Leeds United 1—0 Manchester United

Leeds United 3—4 Manchester United

All-Time League Record

Manchester United wins: 37
    Leeds United wins: 23
    Draws: 32

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Marcelo Bielsa

Team News

Manchester United

Marcos Rojo and Edinson Cavani ruled out.

Leeds United

Robin Koch, Diego Llorente, Gaetano Berardi and Adam Forshaw ruled out.

Know the opposition

Leeds United Football Club (commonly known as just Leeds, and nicknamed The Whites and The Peacocks) is an English professional football club based in the city of Leeds, West Yorkshire. Leeds United's predecessor club, Leeds City F.C., was formed in 1904, but was forcibly disbanded by The Football League in 1919 in response to allegations of financial irregularities regarding illegal payments to players during the First World War.Shortly after the disbanding of Leeds City a new club, Leeds United, was formed on 17 October 1919, under the management of former player Dick Ray. They began playing in the Midland League, taking the place vacated by Leeds City's reserve team. Yorkshire Amateurs, who occupied Elland Road, offered to make way for the new team.

In March 1961, the club appointed former player Don Revie as manager, following the resignation of Jack Taylor. His stewardship began in adverse circumstances andonly a win in the final game of the season saved the club from relegation to Division Three. Revie implemented a youth policy and a change of kit color to an all-white strip in the style of Real Madrid, and Leeds won promotion to the First Division in 1963–64. Subsequently, however, they emerged as a major force in English football, winning 2 First Division titles, an FA Cup, a League Cup and a Inter-Cities Fairs Cup.

Their second noteworthy spell began in the late 80s with the appointment of Howard Wilkinson. In 1989, the signing of Gordon Strachan from Manchester United for £300,000 proved to be a turning point. The Scottish midfielder was named captain, and helped Leeds win the Second Division in 1989–90 and gain promotion back to the First Division. Under Wilkinson Leeds finished fourth in 1990–91, and in the 1991–92 season they won the title of the last Division 1 as top tier. Ironically, the sale of Eric Cantona to Manchester United proved to be a turning point for his new club in a reversal of fortunes, and Leeds never won a league title again through the Premier League era.

Leeds United have rivalries with several clubs, including local rivalries with Sheffield Wednesday, Sheffield United, Bradford City and Huddersfield Town, and national rivalries with Manchester United (arguably the strongest of them all), Chelsea and Millwall. Alex Ferguson spoke on the rivalry between Leeds United and Manchester United stating that playing against Leeds was a "frightening experience... I have always said Liverpool versus Manchester United games are fierce in many aspects. Sometimes supporters can play a bad part in that particular game. But it never reaches the levels of Leeds United. Never." Leeds play their home games at Elland Road.

Familiar Faces

Referee

Anthony Taylor.​

paulscholes18

Ddg
    AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Pogba Fred
    Greenwood Bruno Rashford
    Martial

Can’t afford a slow start vs Leeds, or we could easily find ourselves 2-0 down inside 15 minutes

RedDevilRoshi

Glad this fixture is back after a very long time and I hope we don’t feck up.

Hate these cnuts with a passion.

MonkeysMagic

I can see this being high scoring but the way Leeds are coached and play with clearly inferior players to ours, can create problems for us with our defence.

Bwuk

I think we might see the 4231 with Pogba on the left again. He’s in great form but I think Ole will want both Fred and McTominay playing.

De Gea
    AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Telles
    McTominay - Fred
    Rashford - Bruno - Pogba
    Martial​

.Phil1968

Great to see this fixture back, pity there will be no fans, would be a great atmosphere. I remember going to their place in the early 90s for a league cup semi, jesus had to fight my way in and out. Would love us to give these a bloody good thrashing.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Home game. Eurgh. Goes without saying that they'll punish us if we start slowly - which we do every single game.

They're absolutely horrific from defending set-pieces though. Hopefully we can bag one.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    This forum is overrating Leeds a lot. Yes, their attack is doing well, but defensively they are quite awful, especially against sides who can counter well from wide areas.

United should treat this as an away match with a solid base, Rashford, Martial, Bruno and someone else on the counter, and we will get a good amount of chances. Attacking set pieces should be a good option too.

Won’t be easy, but we should get the opportunities to win the match. Hopefully we take them.

el3mel

Can't wait for this. Would be a cracker.

Expecting a 4-2 or 4-3 for us.

Hope we absolutely smash them, seen their fans giving it the big 'un already across the socials after beating fecking Newcastle. We are going to get space on the break, Bielsa is uncompromising in surrendering the midfield completely when the other team is in transition and just marking runners. I'll be disappointed if Rashford doesn't get a few. If we drop points it will almost certainly because we don't match their energy from the start/make mistakes under their high press.

Leeds are also awful at defending set pieces, maybe even worse than us if that's possible.

Would possibly go to the diamond again as I want to play Fred and McTominay again but neither is the most technical under pressure. Pogba certainly deserves to play based off today but it would be suicidal with the way Leeds would swarm him, so I'd put VDB in for a start despite his awful cameo against Sheffield.

-----------DDG
    AWB-Lindelof-Maguire-Shaw
    ---------McTominay
    Fred--------------------VDB
    ------------Bruno
    --Rashford---Martial

Hope Cavani is back for this one, at least on the bench.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    This forum is overrating Leeds a lot. Yes, their attack is doing well, but defensively they are quite awful, especially against sides who can counter well from wide areas.

United should treat this as an away match with a solid base, Rashford, Martial, Bruno and someone else on the counter, and we will get a good amount of chances. Attacking set pieces should be a good option too.

Won’t be easy, but we should get the opportunities to win the match. Hopefully we take them.
    Agreed - goals are there against Leeds

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
    They're going to be well up for this, hard to really think that this will be anything other than a struggle.

rooney2009

I think we might see the 4231 with Pogba on the left again. He’s in great form but I think Ole will want both Fred and McTominay playing.

De Gea
    AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
    McTominay - Fred
    Rashford - Bruno - Pogba
    Martial​
    This

slored1

Home game and it's Leeds. We win this and we're in the title mix. Yeah, no chance we're winning now I said all that.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    Ddg
    AWB Lindelof Maguire Shaw
    Pogba Fred
    Greenwood Bruno Rashford
    Martial

Can’t afford a slow start vs Leeds, or we could easily find ourselves 2-0 down inside 15 minutes
    Absolutely.

De Gea, Shaw, Fred certain to be back. Think Ole might start with McTominay alongside Fred for a start, to stop giving these stupid goals away, and give us some stability in midfield. Pogba could start on the left, Rashford on the right, Greenwood on the bench.
    Cavani I think will get a run second half, best not too rush him back.
    I'm not convinced that Lindelof is the right defender for us, I wish Tuanzebe got a run out.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Could be a high scoring game this. Leeds play high line, score lots of goals and can't defend. We can't defend either but also score goals.

I'm going 3 2 to us again. Won't be easy at all. Leeds's Cup final.

SER19

Another must win. Only game I think dropping points will be credible in from next 4 is Leicester away.

Fancy Greenwood to score a brace for some reason

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
    Supports
    Luton Town
    I've been fearing this match. They play with so much intensity and we start like a slow shit that blocks the toilet.

Hopefully we can pick them off on the counter, which is one area we're good at.

peridigm

Good opportunity to continue climbing the table. Too bad we're playing at OT.

Mcking

They are profligate, and concede most of their goals from set-pieces. We don't seem to score from set-pieces on the other hand.

always_hoping

The long awaited Roses rivalry returns to the Premier league. For the record last PL meeting was 1-1 in February 2004 in Old Trafford.

This was the one fixture I regularly attended in the 90s, a match full of fight and intensity. The one game that sticks out in my mind the most was the 3-2 win in 1998 with Nicky Butt scoring a great winner.

The current Leeds team are one of the best possession based team in the league with on average 60% per game and have a 82% passing accuracy. Marcelo Bielsa has them well drilled in a simliar manner to his Athletic Bilbao side that beat United home and away in 2012.

Strongest starting possible team will be required for Ole in this game, no goals given away from individual errors would be bonus and need to be clinical on what chances are created.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
    Worried about this game as they press like maniacs. Hopefully no build from the back nonsense against them.

Red Devil 26

Premature Examination

De Gea
    AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Telles
    McTominay - Fred
    Rashford - Bruno - Pogba
    Martial​
    I'd go with this but Shaw in for Telles.

Irrational.

I've a bad feeling about this. We're probably going to lose this one as we are shocking at dealing with high energy, high pressing teams, and Leeds will have an additional spring in their step. Bielsa is going to have a field day. Meanwhile, we'll continue our safety-first, error-prone, playing-out-from-the-back-no-matter-what approach. We're not getting more than a point. Quote me on this.

Mcking

Fred should be good to start this one. McTominay will likely be back as well. Expect De Gea and Shaw to replace Henderson and Telles.

Bruno, Martial and Rashford definitely starts in attack, so I guess it's between Greenwood and Pogba to complete the XI.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Scott McTominay image Scott McTominay 92% of 398 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

7.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 384 ratings.

Score Predictions