Kick-off
Tue, 11 May 2021 @ 6:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Balljy

Williams is rightfooted. He's a rightback who we played on the left for a bit.

But he IS rusted and haven't had anywhere near enough gametime to get consistency.

Nevertheless, he should be marginally better.
    He's been a left back almost all the way through the academy, but played a few matches on the right the season before last for the under 18's. He played at centre back once or twice too. Solskjaer said in January that right might suit him more for his attacking play.

He's not had a great game, but in a game like this after 45 minutes and rusty like you say, jumping on a youngster is not great.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
    Stop saying Matic legs are gone. He's still very good midfielder and doesn't look out of place in this game.

Van de Beek I like in midfield too, he is calm and doesn't shy away from the ball. Better when more involved.

mu4c_20le

I actually expected us to score first, then lose 1-2. But since they went and did the honours... its now anyones game :keano:

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
    We're all in agreement that we've shown we could have won now right, so we can let Leicester win? Big picture people.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
    He never looked totally comfortable at LB to me. He was moved to LB for the U23s to accommodate Laird iirc.

He's a RB, he's just playing like someone who hasn't played a game all season.
    However his first team performances at LB have always outshone his RB performances. I cant remember a single good performance at RB.

I mean just because he is right footed we cant expect him to be bossing RB when he has grown up learning to play LB surely?

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    The lads have grown into the game. They have been Leicester’s equal, but both teams below standard. Game there to be won.

Need Greenwood to give us another 15 minutes second half, before we can switch him for Cavani. Leicester will need to push for three points, so Rashford needs to come on to counter too after a while. I’d probably do Bruno for Mata at HT first though.
    The other thing I’d consider is getting Pogba on in the double pivot, as can play those balls that Elanga is apparently making runs for off screen. You can then move Donny forward and take Mata off.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
    Weird, I see lots of runs Amad makes but we seem intent on pursuing the left flank, perhaps because Williams is shite in playing the ball out.

I actually think Elanga struggled in taking on players.
    It’s a huge leap from the stiffs to first team. He’d need 6 games at least to get the pace. But I think he’s done really well

FahadiHossein

Oh no, what happened to Brandon Williams. I really liked him when he burst onto the season at a LB.

city-puma

Unbelievable! We have two players, Greenwood and Matic, standing out to play as the real leaders! Cheers! So happy to see the youngsters, Elanga and Amad, play with confidence. The chemistry will gel in so I am not concerned and just hope them having a great second half.

justsomebloke

Matic MOTM so far. And that Greenwood - plays with the authority and confidence of a star out there. Tuanzebe deserves praise too, a couple of key interventions and actually outpaces Vardy.
    But Bailly quite a horror show.

Rustyspider13

Enjoyable half considering the circumstances. The only player that I'd say that has had a bad game is Williams. He seems too nervous and misplacing passes often. We should try building up more from the left to relieve him of that burden. Mata has been a bit disappointing with the weight of his passes, but that can be attributed to age. Bailly needs a calming presence beside him, hopefully Lindelof will provide that Thursday.

Now onto the positives-Matic and Mason have been excellent. Matic shows what a top DM can do in terms of defensive cover. He has single-handedly absorbed a lot of pressure and has even contributed to attack at times. The one time he got beat is when we conceded.

Mason has been given the responsibility of being the primary attacker and has taken it in stride. His drive has been a joy to watch and the finish was superb. Elanga and Amad haven't shied away from the physical aspect of the game but you can see that they're not at that level yet.

If we want to win this, 15 mins of Fernandes and Cavani/Rashford will do it. But I'll take a draw if offered.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
    Done better than expected. Terrific finish by greenwood. Elanga doesnt look great though.

laughtersassassin

What we learnt/already knew

1. We need a DM. Matic's brilliant performance is proof of it. McFred are not able to put in that kind of performance.have their own uses but not as permanent starters.

2. Amad is ready

3. Mata should be moved on.

4. VDB is quite slow but showed promise so far. One of his better games

5. De Geas Distribution leaves a lot to be desired.

6. Williams will probably not be here much longer. Maybe with a loan he can hopefully up it a level.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
    Wonder if Brendan Rodgers is in that dressing room telling them how dissapointing they must all be to their parents. How can they possibly have so little self esteem this Leicester side.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Stop saying Matic legs are gone. He's still very good midfielder and doesn't look out of place in this game.

Van de Beek I like in midfield too, he is calm and doesn't shy away from the ball. Better when more involved.
    Yeah, Matic has been the best player on the pitch.

MetoTTT

If Leicester couldn't win today, they're true bottlers again. Some nice stuff by the lads.

Red Royal

Happy with that half, if we can stay in it with 15 to go then will be interesting to see what Ole does.

I dont get the stuck VDB is gettting, this looks a more natural performance from him.

Hoof the ball

Whilst it's true that people can (and do) overreact to poor performances from young players, it's also equally true that people can (and do) reduce others' criticisms of young players to people "finding a scapegoat" unfairly.

It is possible to gage some level of general quality from observing someone over a certain amount of games or minutes over seasons. These are the same mistakes that we saw in Williams even when he had that extended run in the side at LB, so it's not as if people are ungenerously and unreasonably finding criticism. They're just pointing out that certain footballing flaws are still present two years on, which is completely reasonable observation.

With that out the way, a very good half from a very inexperienced side.

Drawfull

Thought we settled pretty well after the Greenwood goal, but Williams has had a 'mare. Despite this being a free hit for some, the pressure is still on the players to further cement their places at the club and some will handle that better than others, obviously.

Feeling pretty confident this half that we'll at least draw, assuming Ole finds the sub button at some point.

PaulScholes99

I am very proud. A team that has never played together like this (and will never) against 3rd in the PL who are fighting for top 4 and we are even the better team.

Mason is brilliant. Looks so special, a real star in the making.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 198 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Leicester win
  • Draw