Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

DDG
    Rafa Evans Rojo Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera Di Maria
    Mata
    Rooney RVP
    Play anything other than the best possession football we can and Evans and Rojo will be a liability. Dominate the ball, and they'll be an asset.

If Di Maria isn't fit to return:

DDG
    Rafa Evans Rojo Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera Fellaini
    Rooney
    RVP Wilson​

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    I don't hold much hope for us winning if we play the 3 at the back, but I do think Liverpool will still struggle to score unless they change their starting 11 a little, Sterling was the only man against Basel (and the chap who got sent off for nothing) who seemed to really try attacking in any convincing way. However, if they perform anything like they did last season up front we've got issues at the weekend.

Trying to make himself feel better cos he knows we're gonna beat them
    I find it very challenging to watch such an openly bias critic. Surely you can only be a proper critic/analyst/whatever if you're completely un-bias? Neville at least seems to try, but this guy comes across as a meat head most of the time.

He's displayed nothing to suggest he'd be anything near that. I'd be more concerned about Borini than I would do him and they're both shite.
    I agree he's been crap all season from what I've seen, but he's one of them players that doesn't need to be playing well to stick his foot out at the right moment and nick an undeserved goal. And with the chances some of their players have the potential to create (again, not that they've shown it this season) against our often-laughable back 5 he isn't gonna need to do it many times.

Like I say if they play how they did against Basel I expect a relatively easy win, but it would be foolish to become complacent over them, they still have plenty of talent.

Last edited:

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    I find it very challenging to watch such an openly bias critic. Surely you can only be a proper critic/analyst/whatever if you're completely un-bias? Neville at least seems to try, but this guy comes across as a meat head most of the time.
    I respect it, there's no point being insincere with fake impartiality. The problem is that there isn't a fair balance of clubs represented by pundits.

The Liverpool pundits all being bitter and delusional isn't a surprise but it doesn't help that 4 in 5 pundits supports them. When you've got Souness, Redknapp and Thompson all sitting together next to Neville who is doing his best to remain impartial and balanced it's hard to watch.

Loved that clip of Fletch and Phil Nev (I think) sitting next to Redknapp with possibly Gary Neville hosting and Redknapp is claiming Vidic was the last man and brought Torres down and should have been off. Then 6 slomo replays show Vidic cleanly taking the ball away and not touching the player only for Redknapp to continue to argue blind that it was a foul and red card... The United lads are sitting there pissing themselves as he twitches and fidgets looking increasingly wound up because he knows he's wrong.

Señor

Humongous twit who can't read
    RvP has to start, simple as that. He's on a good run of form and I can see him nabbing a couple against the scousers. I'd go for a 4-4-2 diamond with:

------------DDG------------
    Rafael-McNair-Rojo-Young
    ------------Carrick---------
    ------Herrera--Fellaini-----
    -----------Di Maria---------
    --------Rooney-RvP--------

If Rafael and Di Maria are not fit, then replace them with Valencia and Mata.

Having said that, LvG will probably line out something like this:

------------DDG------------
    ----McNair-Evans-Rojo----
    Valencia-------------Young
    ------Carrick--Fellaini------
    -----------Di Maria---------
    --------Rooney-RvP--------

With Mata again replacing Di Maria if he isn't match fit. I expect Herrera to be on the bench and Valencia to start regardless of whether Rafael is fit or not as it looks like 3-5-2 is the way he'll go again.

KieranMUFC

If we beat them and they continue this poor does anyone reckon Rodgers will be on borrowed time? Or can you see the board letting him stay until the end of the season and assessing the situation then? They have been horrific this season.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    I respect it, there's no point being insincere with fake impartiality. The problem is that there isn't a fair balance of clubs represented by pundits.

The Liverpool pundits all being bitter and delusional isn't a surprise but it doesn't help that 4 in 5 pundits supports them. When you've got Souness, Redknapp and Thompson all sitting together next to Neville who is doing his best to remain impartial and balanced it's hard to watch.

Loved that clip of Fletch and Phil Nev (I think) sitting next to Redknapp with possibly Gary Neville hosting and Redknapp is claiming Vidic was the last man and brought Torres down and should have been off. Then 6 slomo replays show Vidic cleanly taking the ball away and not touching the player only for Redknapp to continue to argue blind that it was a foul and red card... The United lads are sitting there pissing themselves as he twitches and fidgets looking increasingly wound up because he knows he's wrong.
    This, it often feels like I'm watching some kids in a school in Liverpool talking about the match with one kid from Manchester thrown in. All insanely bias to the point where you wonder if they even needed to watch the match to come up with what they're saying.

Exactly, if a commentator is completely ignoring blatant video evidence then he isn't a proper analyst.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
    If we beat them and they continue this poor does anyone reckon Rodgers will be on borrowed time? Or can you see the board letting him stay until the end of the season and assessing the situation then? They have been horrific this season.
    Can't see 'em sacking him this season unless it gets extremely bad, they may well revise the situation in the summer though, depending on who is available to succeed him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
    Supports
    Big Days
    This, it often feels like I'm watching some kids in a school in Liverpool talking about the match with one kid from Manchester thrown in. All insanely bias to the point where you wonder if they even needed to watch the match to come up with what they're saying.

Exactly, if a commentator is completely ignoring blatant video evidence then he isn't a proper analyst.

Here's that video. Got the details wrong but it's such a good clip. Just seeing how pissed off Redknapp is for getting the treatment they give out to everyone every week. He's absolute shite as a pundit, complete waste of time.

ThatOneGuy

Supports
    Liverpool
    I'm struggling to see how we can win this game. Everything points to a United win based on form and how both teams are playing. Our record at Old Trafford in the last ten league meetings is P10 W2 L8 so it's not exactly a happy hunting ground.

I'm not sure how we will line up for this but I feel as though Rodgers will pick the wrong team somehow given how things have been going. I think starting Lambert would be a mistake as he really offers nothing in terms of pressing from the front, which is where Southampton had a lot of joy on Monday. At least one of Coutinho and Lallana has to start if we want to have a chance of winning the game as they are probably our most creative outlets going forward. I'd start both if it was up to me either side of Sterling with Gerrard in behind him, then Henderson and Lucas in behind them. I'm assuming the defense will be Moreno and Johnson at full back with either Toure or Lovren partnering Skrtel at CB.

The team I'd like to see: Mignolet; Johnson, Skrtel, Toure, Moreno;Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard;Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling.

What I think we will see: Mignolet; Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno; Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Lallana/Coutinho;Sterling, Lambert.

I've watched us a lot this year so I'm just going to go ahead and assume that we will see the usual Mignolet passes to CB, passes to Mignolet, passes to CB, passes to full back or midfield, who then loses the ball allowing a counter attack from the opposition. If Di Maria is fit he will have a field day in that scenario.

My prediction: United 3-1 Liverpool.

Reactions: Invictus

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    I'm struggling to see how we can win this game. Everything points to a United win based on form and how both teams are playing. Our record at Old Trafford in the last ten league meetings is P10 W2 L8 so it's not exactly a happy hunting ground.

I'm not sure how we will line up for this but I feel as though Rodgers will pick the wrong team somehow given how things have been going. I think starting Lambert would be a mistake as he really offers nothing in terms of pressing from the front, which is where Southampton had a lot of joy on Monday. At least one of Coutinho and Lallana has to start if we want to have a chance of winning the game as they are probably our most creative outlets going forward. I'd start both if it was up to me either side of Sterling with Gerrard in behind him, then Henderson and Lucas in behind them. I'm assuming the defense will be Moreno and Johnson at full back with either Toure or Lovren partnering Skrtel at CB.

The team I'd like to see: Mignolet; Johnson, Skrtel, Toure, Moreno;Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard;Lallana, Coutinho, Sterling.

What I think we will see: Mignolet; Johnson, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno; Lucas, Henderson, Gerrard, Lallana/Coutinho;Sterling, Lambert.

I've watched us a lot this year so I'm just going to go ahead and assume that we will see the usual Mignolet passes to CB, passes to Mignolet, passes to CB, passes to full back or midfield, who then loses the ball allowing a counter attack from the opposition. If Di Maria is fit he will have a field day in that scenario.

May GOD hear you ! Insh'allah

kopviolator

I just checked the tables.
    We have the 5th best defence in the league.
    I dont understand why people think our defence is so bad?
    Only 4 teams are better than us in the league, defensively.

I can only assume that it hasnt sunk in that we are actually a very good team.
    3rd in the league.
    Best form over the last 5 games, compared to any other team.
    5th best defence in the league.
    That's one way to look at it I suppose.... You must be a glass half-full type of guy.

But surely you'll agree that our back four don't really compare to recent years? That we're giving the ball away over and over again from the back line and that this is costing us all sorts of problems, no? I know we'll get better, but we've seen comical play at the back many times. The Southampton away is a prime example, we got away with murder there. Similar against Arsenal. Not complaining, the results were great but with our insecurities at the back we were lucky.

The reason why we have the 5th best defense is simply put, David De Gea. Imagine where we'd be otherwise.

Yes we're getting better and on occasions we play very well but we also succumb easily to pressure and look very vulnerable at times. I expect better and so should you.

Dylan94

I actually really like him as a pundit and I think he and Gary go really well together, particularly on Monday night football. On the whole I like / don't mind all of them, even Jamie, I've never really understood or seen reasons on screen why he gets so much stick. They can all be a bit biased sometimes, Gary included, but that's to be expected when most of them have spent a lot of time at one club and on the whole I think they generally keep things fairly balanced. And I don't think anything of that tweet from Jamie either. He's just having a joke with the United fans and Gary Neville. The ones I don't like are the ones who I think are biased almost all of the time which are Martin Tyler and Alan Smith.

allen!7

That's one way to look at it I suppose.... You must be a glass half-full type of guy.

But surely you'll agree that our back four don't really compare to recent years? That we're giving the ball away over and over again from the back line and that this is costing us all sorts of problems, no? I know we'll get better, but we've seen comical play at the back many times. The Southampton away is a prime example, we got away with murder there. Similar against Arsenal. Not complaining, the results were great but with our insecurities at the back we were lucky.

The reason why we have the 5th best defense is simply put, David De Gea. Imagine where we'd be otherwise.

Yes we're getting better and on occasions we play very well but we also succumb easily to pressure and look very vulnerable at times. I expect better and so should you.
    That is hos job.. Please dont peoject as he should not do his job if the defense is shit.

devil in me

Would love to see a 'Brendan Rodgers football genius banner' taking over the Stretford End on Sunday!!

Chorltonian

I just checked the tables.
    We have the 5th best defence in the league.
    I dont understand why people think our defence is so bad?
    Only 4 teams are better than us in the league, defensively.

I can only assume that it hasnt sunk in that we are actually a very good team.
    3rd in the league.
    Best form over the last 5 games, compared to any other team.
    5th best defence in the league.

Best post in this thread so far: big on facts, realism, down to earth Manc attitude. No abuse, fantasy island, or negativity. Respect to you sir!

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
    Predictions:

- We'll win but it will be close, 1-0 in the last ten minutes maybe.
    - Gerrard will treat us to at least three Hollywood long shots, none on target.
    - McNair will make keep Balotelli in his pocket.
    - Balotelli will be booked, maybe sent off in the dieing minutes.
    - United winning will put Liverpool top in the RAWK alternative EPL table.

Sally Cinnamon

Really hope Wilson starts this one. I'd play him upfront with van Persie. Fancy them both to score.

To be honest I'd be happy as long as we play with a four man defence and Fellaini on the bench.

Buzzing like mad for this match.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22

Tbf Carragher is decent most of the time. He's certainly one of the better ones out there, and while we know he has (urgh...) bantz with people on twitter, his affiliation rarely comes into his punditry.

Most pundits being Liverpool fans has more to do with the fact that they were successful and hence had notable players 20-30 years ago, just the right age for a pundit now. It'll be the same with United soon, as we're seeing now with G.Neville, P.Neville, Keano and Scholes.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    The thing about this Liverpool side is I'm convinced that there is no real goal threat in their line-up; there is no Suarez, no Torres, no Sturridge in their team, nobody who looks like they can capitalize in any chances they create in open play. Ricky Lambert doesn't exactly strike fear in the eyes of the opposition and nor does an out of form Balotelli who hasn't integrated with the squad yet (Doubtful to start also) so I reiterate that there's no goal threat from open play.

However there are some creators in their side like Sterling, Coutinho and possibly Markovic to a certain extent but what good is that if there's nobody to capitalize in their creation, sure they can do the only thing that was effective against Basel for around 7 minutes and stick Markovic on but once more there's nobody upfront providing the patient movement and goalscoring that Van Persie does for us, they are players that like to dribble and hang on to the ball so it won't work in that system. The only way I can see them scoring is from setpieces i.e freekicks/corners from Steven Gerrard, if we limit the silly tackles around the box and stay composed then we should have a quiet game and be able to focus on our side of the game and attack.

My Lineup: Inverted 4-3-3

-------------------De Gea-----------------
    ---Rafael----Evans------Rojo----Young---
    -------------------Carrick------------------
    ------------Fellaini-----Rooney-----------
    --Di Maria-----------------------Januzaj--
    -----------------Van Persie---------------​

I see quite a few mismatches in their side and that would be their fullbacks who are particularly poor and mistake prone. This is where I believe an inverted 4-3-3 would work best with tricky wingers like Januzaj and Di Maria (Hopefully fit) can get the better of Johnson/Manquillo and Moreno/Enrique by cutting inside and gliding into the box/bringing a challenge from their weaker foot. We'll need that physical threat of Fellaini should Lambert be playing as he'll beat him in all the aerial duels and limit their hoofing to the box, should they resort to that. Carrick, Fellaini, Rooney vs Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson seems like a nice battle which we win in all departments, more passing range, defensive cover, steel and attacking threat on our side than the latter 3 players. Yes, Van Persie as a lone striker, perhaps the most controversial part of this formation however Rooney will be given the freedom in midfield to offer support as a 8,10,9 role at times where as Fellaini will be rigid in this formation and knocking the ball down, plus if Van Persie plays half the game he did at Southampton, he should be set for a solid game.

Predicted Score: 2-0 United

Last edited:
    Reactions: Invictus

Chuckazulu

Who's suggesting he shouldn't do his job? My point is that he is contributing heavily to the 'goals conceded' statistics and that if it weren't for him then those statistics would be less flattering.
    what if one of Smalling, Rojo, Shaw or Rafael wasnt contributing? how would those stats look like? I'm sure we would be fecked up and that 'goal conceded' stat wouldn't be so pretty. Each and every defender is giving his all and that's why we look so good. The tackles, interceptions, blocks, man marking might look easy but that's some tough work and that's what's keeping us 5th defensively. De Gea's saves too, obviously, but don't neglect the other defensive work. Say De Gea and the other four /five defenders (that make up our defence) are contributing heavily to keep that 'goals conceded' stat look pretty, thus our defence is decent

The only problem i have with our defence is that they seem to panic when they are pressed.

Ole Gunner Scholes

Good Lad! ;)

Thisistheone

Ferguson on Colin Gibson's red card at Anfield in the 1988 3-3 draw:"Clubs come away from Anfield choking on their own vomit and biting their own tongues knowing they have been done by the referee."
    United defender Gary Neville on Liverpool: "I can't stand Liverpool, I can't stand the people, I can't stand anything to do with them."
    Liverpool chairman Tom Williams once asked Bill Shankly:"How would you like to manage the best club in the country?"

"Why?" Shankly replied. "Is Matt Busby packing it in?"
    Are all quality! Can't wait for Sunday :devil:

goin4glory

None of this 3-5-2 or front 3 of Rooney/Mata/RVP nonsense. We've looked completely lost in the games vs Arsenal and Southampton with 5 at the back and no pace in the team.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
    Expecting us to score on a set piece - we've been fairly decent at them and Liverpool are quite bad at defending them. Hope we go with as much pace up front as we can, they have trouble with that, but not sure who I'd make room for other than di Maria? Would sit Mata for Herrera and keep Rooney+RVP up top. We haven't been creating a ton of chances lately so need the best finishers we have to take their opportunities. Keep Fellaini in the team for the set piece help. Definitely want 4 at the back but worried Sterling will give our makeshift fullbacks a lot of trouble and we'll give away a penalty that Gerrard will score.

3-1 United.

Last edited:

kopviolator

what if one of Smalling, Rojo, Shaw or Rafael wasnt contributing? how would those stats look like? I'm sure we would be fecked up and that 'goal conceded' stat wouldn't be so pretty. Each and every defender is giving his all and that's why we look so good. The tackles, interceptions, blocks, man marking might look easy but that's some tough work and that's what's keeping us 5th defensively. De Gea's saves too, obviously, but don't neglect the other defensive work. Say De Gea and the other four /five defenders (that make up our defence) are contributing heavily to keep that 'goals conceded' stat look pretty, thus our defence is decent

The only problem i have with our defence is that they seem to panic when they are pressed.
    I guess that would depend on who would replace them. I would suggest that each of them is at this point in time replaceable but it would be much harder to fill DDG's boots. I would have though most would agree on this.

I get what you're saying on the mutual importance of the back five collectively but I wouldn't agree at all that all of them are equally important. Nor do I agree that we look good as you say in spite of decent statistics. I'd rather put it that the statistics are decent in spite of our defense. A blind man can see we lack a leading figure as a centre back.

But I do agree with you that they don't handle high pressure well.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
    Nope. I'm a realist.
    I look at the cold hard stats and dont use my own opinions to cloud the conclusions.
    As stated, we are 3rd in the league and have the 5th best defensive record. We are a good team.
    Anybody who states otherwise doesnt know much about football.

The Southampton away is a prime example, we got away with murder there. Similar against Arsenal. Not complaining, the results were great but with our insecurities at the back we were lucky.
    Unfortunately statistics cannot quantify luck.
    What I can say is that we took our chances. We have a greater striker in RVP, who only needs 1 chance to score.
    I will also say that Southampton, do not possess a striker of RvP's level of skill/ability.
    I can also argue that we are unlucky - so many injuries, our first injury happened after about 10 minutes then our game-plan had to completely change.
    I would say that Southampton were also lucky that (arguably) our best defender got injured and that our 2 best out field players (Di Maria and Blind) were not playing.
    I could go on, but you get my point.

The reason why we have the 5th best defense is simply put, David De Gea.
    In the past we have had Van Der Sar. And Schmeichel. During their tenures, they were classified as the best goal keeper in the league.
    De Gea is now also following in their footsteps. So, I don't think you can say that De Gea is the reason for our good defensive record. It's a team effort.

I expect better and so should you.
    I do expect a lot.
    I expect us to the be the top points scoring team in the 2nd half of the season (time will tell).
    I expect us to have the best form of any team in the league (which we already do).
    I expect us to finish a minimum of 3rd (which we are currently achieving).
    I also expect us to the be favourites for the title next year.
    I assure you, my expectations of Man Utd are VERY high...but also realistic and based on real data. Not opinions.

ThatOneGuy

Supports
    Liverpool

You need not worry then, we don't seem capable of the high press since Suarez left and Sturridge got injured.

Havak

Pokemon master
    I think the last time we actually played 'well' vs Liverpool was a long, long time ago when we won 3-0. Every other time in my memory it has been average or bad - even if we won the game. I'm hoping that after a poor display against Southampton, LvG has got the lads riled up for what is still historically the biggest game in the Premier League, no matter the current fortunes of each side.

I am expecting a win and think we could get a few goals here, but I'll be more (or less) confident after the presser tomorrow. I'm hoping Di Maria can come in to replace Mata, while if Rafael or Shaw are fit, that'd be a huge boost too. I think one reason we struggled with Southampton's pressing game for large parts was because we had Mata, Rooney, and van Persie often around the half-way line or in the oppositions half, leaving us with few options deep and no one to be able to find space to pick a pass. We will have to weather this against Liverpool from the start, so I think benching Mata regardless of if Di Maria is fit might be the way to go. I like Mata, but I don't think he's right in games against hard-pressing teams. Liverpool haven't pressed as well this season, but I guarantee that they will in at least the opening 20 minutes on Sunday.

de Gea
    Valencia Evans Rojo Young
    Carrick
    Fellaini Di Maria
    Herrera
    van Persie Rooney​

If Di Maria is out, then I really would probably rather play Wilson or Fletcher from the start.

Nestori

I think the last time we actually played 'well' vs Liverpool was a long, long time ago when we won 3-0. Every other time in my memory it has been average or bad - even if we won the game. I'm hoping that after a poor display against Southampton, LvG has got the lads riled up for what is still historically the biggest game in the Premier League, no matter the current fortunes of each side.

I am expecting a win and think we could get a few goals here, but I'll be more (or less) confident after the presser tomorrow. I'm hoping Di Maria can come in to replace Mata, while if Rafael or Shaw are fit, that'd be a huge boost too. I think one reason we struggled with Southampton's pressing game for large parts was because we had Mata, Rooney, and van Persie often around the half-way line or in the oppositions half, leaving us with few options deep and no one to be able to find space to pick a pass. We will have to weather this against Liverpool from the start, so I think benching Mata regardless of if Di Maria is fit might be the way to go. I like Mata, but I don't think he's right in games against hard-pressing teams. Liverpool haven't pressed as well this season, but I guarantee that they will in at least the opening 20 minutes on Sunday.

de Gea
    Carrick
    Fellaini Di Maria
    Herrera
    van Persie Rooney​

If Di Maria is out, then I really would probably rather play Wilson or Fletcher from the start.
    Otherwise I agree with this but Fletcher gets a stern no from me. :nono:

mufc1996

de Gea
    Carrick
    Fellaini Di Maria
    Herrera
    van Persie Rooney​

I would go with Wilson if di maria doesn't make it.

Add some pace to the team.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

David de Gea image David de Gea 92% of 1132 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 823 ratings.