Manchester United vs Liverpool: right now would you just settle for a draw?

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
This is the point I keep trying to make. We need to progress from where we are now to a position that's high up the table. For that we don't need Dybala or Ronaldo or Sancho.
What we need is players who are better than what we have ( there are plenty) and who doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Move up the table and then once we are ready to challenge for cl spot and trophies, get better players and get rid of the others. We can't go from the 14th position to winning the PL. It's absurd.
Said Claudio Ranieri.

Topgun1

Lewandowski lover
Supports
Arsenal
This is the point I keep trying to make. We need to progress from where we are now to a position that's high up the table. For that we don't need Dybala or Ronaldo or Sancho.
What we need is players who are better than what we have ( there are plenty) and who doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Move up the table and then once we are ready to challenge for cl spot and trophies, get better players and get rid of the others. We can't go from the 14th position to winning the PL. It's absurd.
Exactly good point. It doesn't have to be all-or-nothing in the transfer window, just have to get better than what you got now.

We're in the same position btw, the only reason why it appears we might be able to challenge for top 4 is because of Auba (and Laca when he's fit) otherwise the squad is midtable and our match at Old Trafford was a true midtable clash. Something I genuinely believed I would never see. Very poor squads that need massive changes. But it can't be done overnight so we have to be patient.

Foxbatt

Exactly but people think a new manager will have this squad challenging.
No. But a decent manager would get them to play better. Furthermore a decent manager who is realistic is not going to try and sign players who doesn't want to play in a mid table club that's being coached by an incompetent manager.
There are plenty of players who are better than what we have and the only reason that they are not playing for us is that Ole didn't want them as he wanted certain players who are not interested in coming to United.

peridigm

Need the 3 points although 1 point is better than none when you’re 1 above bottom 3.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
No. But a decent manager would get them to play better. Furthermore a decent manager who is realistic is not going to try and sign players who doesn't want to play in a mid table club that's being coached by an incompetent manager.
There are plenty of players who are better than what we have and the only reason that they are not playing for us is that Ole didn't want them as he wanted certain players who are not interested in coming to United.
Mourinho didn't have them playing better, he's a pretty decent manager. Neither did LVG. These players just aren't that good.

Our midfield and forwards are midtable players (at best some of them) playing like midtable players. Midtable players also look like midtable players under other loads of different managers like I've watched today.

w1thout

I feel like we've had this thread in each one of the last six years...

RMD83

I’d more than happily take a draw. I’d go as far as to say that not getting humiliated would be a relief. I’ve never had such little hope sadly.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
I don’t recall us ever going to anfield in our pomp and them all over place as big a favourites as they are coming here.

Dramatic decline and rise really.
I would argue that Liverpool were never as poor as United are now. They got laughed at in seasons in which they finished sixth.

Well, finishing sixth has become.the norm for United, and this season they look even worse than that.

fergiesarmy1

I would argue that Liverpool were never as poor as United are now. They got laughed at in seasons in which they finished sixth.

Well, finishing sixth has become.the norm for United, and this season they look even worse than that.
They have had a couple of 8th place finishes and a couple of 7th place finishes in the last decade which is where I’d hazard a guess we maybe finishing this season all being well :nervous:

But even then we didn’t go there as 4/6 favourites to win.

Hound Dog

Supports
Whoever I bet on
They have had a couple of 8th place finishes and a couple of 7th place finishes in the last decade which is where I’d hazard a guess we maybe finishing this season all being well :nervous:

But even then we didn’t go there as 4/6 favourites to win.
You are right about the odds. For comparison, they were 5/4 at Chelsea a few weeks ago. Sad times.

buckooo1978

We're 4/1 to win this on Paddy Power. Safe to say this is the only time in my lifetime the odds for United to beat Liverpool have been so long

we will need something special tomorrow.... no so much because Liverpool are that good - they've been run close in many of their games and could have easily drew a few.

We will need to do something special as our normal level of performance is so poor

Luke1995

They will most likely walk all over us and it won't be close. Predicting a 3-0 or 4-0 win for them, given the current landscape of things.

stu_1992

I mean on current form of both teams you'd say we have no hope. So yeah I'd probably reluctantly take it. We'd at least save ourselves the embarrassment of a hammering by them and we end their winning streak in the league. I live in (dreamland) hope of a win.

Irwin99

It isn't that ridiculous to think United can get a win even with the injury problems. This is a derby, tempers will be on edge, the crowd will be up for it and Liverpool haven't looked at their absolute best despite all the wins (they remind me a lot of our 08-09 team a lot)

It'll be just like football for us to win tomorrow, everyone gets excited, the ole poll swings back to keep once more.....and then we'll lose the next four on the bounce :nervous:

Dr Foo

We are more likely to get a draw/win against Liverpool than other 'lower' teams with the way we are set up. And that is the big problem with our lack of attacking impetus other than in transition. Let's see how big a difference Martial will make...

Reactions: Grinner

reds_fan_aus

Supports
Napoli
I haven't followed anything about United for some four weeks now. I don't even know who is available other than DeGea and Pogba won't be starting because of a notification from the App. All I want to say if Matic, Mata and Young play in the same team tonight it will be a very bad/sad/rotten outcome! But hey, they don't call Old Trafford the field of dreams for nothing.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
It isn't that ridiculous to think United can get a win even with the injury problems. This is a derby, tempers will be on edge, the crowd will be up for it and Liverpool haven't looked at their absolute best despite all the wins (they remind me a lot of our 08-09 team a lot)

It'll be just like football for us to win tomorrow, everyone gets excited, the ole poll swings back to keep once more.....and then we'll lose the next four on the bounce :nervous:
And we dont look so good on our losses.

Jose Jaime Eskauriatza

Supports
The Ole Train
People have short memories... we're -6 points from missing 2 penalties. Add 6 points and we're 5th on goal difference. It didn't happen, but the penalty saga is worth bearing in mind while we go into this fixture... Believe... screw the directors and owners... let's hope we can deliver tomorrow... beating the European Champions is a dream in any fixture, but it's Liverpool, we're at home and we were quater-finalists. We never give up under adversity... as long as we have a go at them we'll still be United. I love this club, the supporters is all we are, we may have to endure the squad and politics, but we'll get behind our team tomorrow... win, lose or draw! UNITED!

Jose Jaime Eskauriatza

Supports
The Ole Train
Edit, maybe it was -4 points (does anyone remember missed pens x2)... but we were way up on 14th with those marginal errors... we're hanging in there... a bit of luck and we're back up there... top 4! BELIEVE AND TOMORROW WE MAY TURN THE CORNER (OR TANK)... GET BEHIND THE TEAM

Yakuza_devils

This is the game we should make a statement and finally turn our season around. As bad as we are now, I still believe we will finish around 4-6th position in the league. We need to kick start our season!

Twisted Nerve

I'd take a draw considering where the two teams are right now. I'd like to think though that this will be the one where we raise our game just like other teams do against us before going back to the usual dross the following game.
In reality though I am not optimistic and I fear a serious drubbing. Of course I hope I'm wrong.