Manchester United vs Liverpool (Tue 12th July, 14:00 UK time) | BANGKOK CENTURY CUP CHAMPIONS

Wing Attack Plan R

Being in Bangkok I thought it might be a nice opportunity to finally experience some real football atmosphere again and watch the game live in the Rajamangala stadium.
Well until I learnt about the ticket prices they are asking for pre season friendly.

https://www.nationthailand.com/life/40012604

140 USD for the cheapest ticket? Are they totally out of their mind. Tickets going up to 700 USD.
Football is really f***ed.
I realize Thailand and the USA have different price points, but the prices you mention are at least what it costs to see United here in a friendly. I've seen United at the Rose Bowl (about 80,000 fans) and at the LA Memorial Coliseum (about 92,000 fans), and there were no empty seats on view.
Malacia at right back? He’s a left back. Martinez is left footed so would be LCB.
Yeah, I was hoping he could swap flanks, he can't be worse than our other RB options.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I realize Thailand and the USA have different price points, but the prices you mention are at least what it costs to see United here in a friendly. I've seen United at the Rose Bowl (about 80,000 fans) and at the LA Memorial Coliseum (about 92,000 fans), and there were no empty seats on view.

Yeah, I was hoping he could swap flanks, he can't be worse than our other RB options.
Amazing. In Germany you get tickets at the Allianz arena for Bayern official Bundesliga matches as cheap as 15 USD and most expensive seats are 80 USD.
I probably would not pay 700 USD for CL final let alone pre season friendly.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Amazing. In Germany you get tickets at the Allianz arena for Bayern official Bundesliga matches as cheap as 15 USD and most expensive seats are 80 USD.
All due respect to Bayern but United is on another level of popularity world wide so the demand is going to be higher for those tickets especially in foreign countries.

Dscholes

If you have any info regarding to the discounted price and where to buy please post here.
Up to a 1000 THB I would pay but no more.
you won’t be getting a usd25 ticket to a manchester united game anytime soon ,

unless perhaps if you wait at the stadium for last minute tickets at kick off there could be cheap tickets

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
All due respect to Bayern but United is on another level of popularity world wide so the demand is going to be higher for those tickets especially in foreign countries.
I was not comparing pre season matches but regular leagues matches of Bayern.
And these matches take place in Bundesliga not Thailand. I'm sure Bayern are more popular in Germany than United is in Thailand. 700 USD that's the price for world cup knock out match not a pre season opener.
Seems many have too much money on hand.

Also do you know average wages paid in Thailand? It's a developing country.

Yeah it's pretty nuts but still sold out quite fast. The two teams are being paid ridiculous peas to come and this is the organizers attempt to make some of it back. Probably get a bunch of empty seats at the games especially in the cheapest seats. Not to mention its gonna be a covid super spreader for sure.
Yeah it's ridiculous but this is the way a lot of these countries attract teams to play there. Its often the national FA too and not some random promoter. It completely defeats the objective of appealing to a new fan base.

I don't think this game will tell us much, mostly because I hope there will be a few more players joining between now and September.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Yeah it's ridiculous but this is the way a lot of these countries attract teams to play there. Its often the national FA too and not some random promoter. It completely defeats the objective of appealing to a new fan base.

I don't think this game will tell us much, mostly because I hope there will be a few more players joining between now and September.
I don't think it will tell us much either but it's our first look at ETH and at the end of the day we owe Liverpool a bunch of performances. The last three games against them have been all time shocking . Some fringe players will get a chance to shine as well. We are less than a month away from our opening game so every part of the preparation is crucial.

Dscholes

I was not comparing pre season matches but regular leagues matches of Bayern.
And these matches take place in Bundesliga not Thailand. I'm sure Bayern are more popular in Germany than United is in Thailand. 700 USD that's the price for world cup knock out match not a pre season opener.
Seems many have too much money on hand.

Also do you know average wages paid in Thailand? It's a developing country.
This game caters to the wealthy fans in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand etc

The total population of South East Asia is many times bigger than Germany

In fact the number of Manchester United and Liverpool fans combined in South East Asia will already be more than the population of Germany.

And many of them can and are willing to pay these prices to watch this Game.

Bondi77

I was watching a video of Erik conducting a training session and all I could hear was Erik saying “Start again, Start again” and “Too many mistakes”
This is a rude awakening for this squad as they have been on easy street for a while now so let’s see who is up to it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
bundesliga is probably the most fair league ever in terms of ticket pricing. that isn’t the norm compared to other leagues. Appreciate what you have while you can!.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
This game caters to the wealthy fans in Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, Vietnam, Thailand etc

The total population of South East Asia is many times bigger than Germany

In fact the number of Manchester United and Liverpool fans combined in South East Asia will already be more than the population of Germany.

And many of them can and are willing to pay these prices to watch this Game.
You think people are flying in from Malaysia and Singapore to watch the first pre season friendly?

I know both clubs have a huge fan base here. I'm living and have worked in Bangkok for 20 years and know many upper class Thais who are football crazy. None of them is willing to pay this kind of money.

I'm pretty sure either the stadium will be almost empty or they will give tickets away for free shortly before kick off.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
bundesliga is probably the most fair league ever in terms of ticket pricing. that isn’t the norm compared to other leagues. Appreciate what you have while you can!.
I know and I do. Still I'm puzzled about prices up to 700 USD for a pre season friendly which had zero meaning. Even the most expensive tickets for the Euro 2020 semi final matches where only 545 Euro. The final officially cost between 300 and 950 Euro.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I know and I do. Still I'm puzzled about prices up to 700 USD for a pre season friendly which had zero meaning. Even the most expensive tickets for the Euro 2020 semi final matches where only 545 Euro. The final officially cost between 300 and 950 Euro.
I suppose for many of those fans it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to see them in their home city.

if demand outweighs supply they can bump the prices up. I do agree it’s a crazy amount, but then look at super bowl prices etc

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I suppose for many of those fans it’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to see them in their home city.

if demand outweighs supply they can bump the prices up. I do agree it’s a crazy amount, but then look at super bowl prices etc
I get your point. However, the supper bowl is the biggest game of the year and not a pre season friendly without any significance for both teams.

RyRy11

I get your point. However, the supper bowl is the biggest game of the year and not a pre season friendly without any significance for both teams.
What do you mean? Both teams have a chance to go on and lift the Illustrious Bangkok Century Cup!!

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
Halve of them have only started supporting them recently since they’ve started winning stuff :lol:
That's not true. Liverpool always had a strong fanbase in Thailand. United was more popular in Malaysia though.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
What do you mean? Both teams have a chance to go on and lift the Illustrious Bangkok Century Cup!!
I keep my fingers crossed for you guys to finally win an important cup after your 5 years trophy drought. 5555

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
That's not true. Liverpool always had a strong fanbase in Thailand. United was more popular in Malaysia though.
There was still lots of our fans there welcoming the team when they arrived. Klopps just very salty.

Crashoutcassius

I was watching a video of Erik conducting a training session and all I could hear was Erik saying “Start again, Start again” and “Too many mistakes”
This is a rude awakening for this squad as they have been on easy street for a while now so let’s see who is up to it.
i heard all about the rude awakening that ralf was giving them too and then he turned out to be a worse manager than ole, who was barely a manager when he joined united, so ill wait and see

Betson

Was watching a segment Sky News were doing on his managerial career up to now and a general theme coming up was that when he takes over a club players tend to initially take a dislike to him as he is very demanding of players both physically and technically and he will keep making players do things over and over again until they get it right.

kkengvib

You think people are flying in from Malaysia and Singapore to watch the first pre season friendly?

I know both clubs have a huge fan base here. I'm living and have worked in Bangkok for 20 years and know many upper class Thais who are football crazy. None of them is willing to pay this kind of money.

I'm pretty sure either the stadium will be almost empty or they will give tickets away for free shortly before kick off.
You're spot on. I'm a Thai currently visiting home for vacation. I have many friends who are die hard Liverpool fans making a good living. None of them are going to the match. I have zero interest in paying for tickets either.

However some people do make an effort to fly over. My friend told me he's friends with a guy who flew from Thailand to Singapore, stayed in a 5 star hotel, watched the training sessions and the Utd friendly game the last time they were there. His total expenses for the trip was still lower than the most expensive ticket prices we have for this match.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
My friend told me he's friends with a guy who flew from Thailand to Singapore, stayed in a 5 star hotel, watched the training sessions and the Utd friendly game the last time they were there. His total expenses for the trip was still lower than the most expensive ticket prices we have for this match.
That's the point and Singapore is usually way more expensive than Bangkok.
No idea what they were thinking to ask such high ticket prices.
Also United and Liverpool should be concerned. Their primary reason to play matches in Bangkok, which is all but ideal for the season preparation due to high humidity and temperature, is promote their clubs in Thailand. Finally the fans have the chance to watch their idols live but then the vast majority because of ridiculous high ticket prices. Excitement is turning into disappoinment and the feeling of being ripped off.
Again these are prices you usually pay for a CL final or Euro final, not a pre season friendly.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
This match just feels wrong.

I also think the pressure of having to perform vs Liverpool is counterproductive for a friendly. If you're trying to learn/improve you might want to try new things or do them differently, which requires a different mindset than "must perform now".

MrSingh2002

I predict that Liverpool beat the shit out of us and it makes us act faster and more seriously in the transfer market.

We'll probably move to other alternatives at this point if we can't get the first/second choices.

Dante

Average bang
I'm genuinely really looking forward to this.

It'll be good to finally have United back after 10 months, seeing as how they stopped playing in September 2021.

I don't need them to see them win at this stage. I just want to see them play as a team for the manager again.

Dscholes

Yes they are, i know many personally. I will be at the game. And many friends i know too. Perhaps we mix in different circles

the stadium will not be almost empty i can assure you, we will see who is right on Tuesday

you can read the articles below, my experience booking tickets online in April was exactly like this.
The USD 700 (25000 baht) tickets were sold out the fastest online.

———————

and Daily Mail has just posted this story

“The first game against Liverpool at the 60,000-capacity Rajamangala National Stadium on Tuesday is sold out, as is United’s final tour match against Aston Villa in Perth. More than 70,000 tickets have been sold for the games against Melbourne Victory and Crystal Palace at the MCG, although United are hoping that figure will rise when they land in Australia.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-clamps-orders-players-eat-meal-together.html

—————

The majority of tickets for the Manchester United v Liverpool game, which is due to take place in Bangkok in July, were sold just hours after going on sale.

Most of the tickets, which are priced higher than tickets for the Champions League final, had sold out in less than two hours after going on sale on Saturday morning (April 2), according to match organiser Fresh Air Festival.

Tickets were available across seven different price points, with prices ranging from 5,000 to 25,000 baht.

Amazingly, the tickets priced at 25,000 baht were the first to sell out, while the three cheapest tickets have also sold out.

“Tickets went on sale at 10am today (April 2) via the Thai Ticket Major website. After two hours the priciest tickets for Platinum seats closest to the pitch were all sold out,” said Vinij Lertratanachai, CEO of match organiser Fresh Air Festival.

“The three cheapest ticket categories priced 5,000 baht, 7,000 baht and 12,000 baht are all sold out too. These seats are either far away from the pitch or located behind the goals at either end.”

At the time of writing, only some tickets remain in the 15,000, 20,000 and 22,000 baht categories

https://www.huahintoday.com/thailan...erpool-in-bangkok-sell-out-in-just-two-hours/

Reactions: roonster09

Daengophile

Yes they are, i know many personally. I will be at the game. And many friends i know too. Perhaps we mix in different circles

the stadium will not be almost empty i can assure you, we will see who is right on Tuesday

you can read the articles below, my experience booking tickets online in April was exactly like this.
The USD 700 (25000 baht) tickets were sold out the fastest online.

———————

and Daily Mail has just posted this story

“The first game against Liverpool at the 60,000-capacity Rajamangala National Stadium on Tuesday is sold out, as is United’s final tour match against Aston Villa in Perth. More than 70,000 tickets have been sold for the games against Melbourne Victory and Crystal Palace at the MCG, although United are hoping that figure will rise when they land in Australia.”

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-clamps-orders-players-eat-meal-together.html

—————

The majority of tickets for the Manchester United v Liverpool game, which is due to take place in Bangkok in July, were sold just hours after going on sale.

Most of the tickets, which are priced higher than tickets for the Champions League final, had sold out in less than two hours after going on sale on Saturday morning (April 2), according to match organiser Fresh Air Festival.

Tickets were available across seven different price points, with prices ranging from 5,000 to 25,000 baht.

Amazingly, the tickets priced at 25,000 baht were the first to sell out, while the three cheapest tickets have also sold out.

“Tickets went on sale at 10am today (April 2) via the Thai Ticket Major website. After two hours the priciest tickets for Platinum seats closest to the pitch were all sold out,” said Vinij Lertratanachai, CEO of match organiser Fresh Air Festival.

“The three cheapest ticket categories priced 5,000 baht, 7,000 baht and 12,000 baht are all sold out too. These seats are either far away from the pitch or located behind the goals at either end.”

At the time of writing, only some tickets remain in the 15,000, 20,000 and 22,000 baht categories

https://www.huahintoday.com/thailan...erpool-in-bangkok-sell-out-in-just-two-hours/
I saw an article that someone had bought a huge batch of tickets for touting - not sure what happened there....

Hua Hin no less!

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Tickets are being sold at a 50% discount in front of the stadium now

Edit: I have photos to post but where should I upload them?
Upload to imgur or some other photo sharing site then link it here.

Only 200-300 tickets are being sold at the 50% discount apparently. All part of building up the hype I'd predict the stadium is at least 80% full tomorrow. It'll be mainly Liverpool fans though.

TheReligion

Abusive
That's rather depressing. That's ruined my day already. The fact that it's a strong possibility we start that 11.
Are you not interested to see what a few weeks of coaching has achieved, if anything, with last seasons players?! I know I am.

EtH will be using the tour to evaluate how the group are coping.

Fully expect to see Garner, Malacia, Hannibal and Garnacho get minutes.

kkengvib

Upload to imgur or some other photo sharing site then link it here.

Only 200-300 tickets are being sold at the 50% discount apparently. All part of building up the hype I'd predict the stadium is at least 80% full tomorrow. It'll be mainly Liverpool fans though.
Thanks
Yep not that many being sold but I think more will come out on sale between now and the start of the match

I also think it'll be quit full but many thousands would have gotten it with steep discounts or practically given to them for free. The promoters cannot have empty seats with all the PR they've done

Just curious, why do you think it will be mostly Liverpool fans?