Kick-off
Sun, 24 October 2021 @ 4:30pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

lenny_1248

United will blitz them in the first 15-20 minutes and score 2 goals.

largelyworried

A lot of people writing this game off, but honestly, I'm not so sure. Our problem at the moment is that you just don't know which team might turn up. We could put 3 past them. We could lose 4-0. We could draw 3-3 or it could be a drab 0-0. Honestly, with United in recent times you have no idea which team will turn up.

So in terms of this coming game, I wouldn't say there's no chance. Far from it, we could certainly win it. The problem for us is that I go into every game feeling like this. We could paste Liverpool on Sunday and then lose dismally to Spurs, beat City and then draw 0-0 to Watford. We're inconsistent as hell, and you won't go anywhere like that. But this weekend, anything is possible.

Foxbatt

A lot of people writing this game off, but honestly, I'm not so sure. Our problem at the moment is that you just don't know which team might turn up. We could put 3 past them. We could lose 4-0. We could draw 3-3 or it could be a drab 0-0. Honestly, with United in recent times you have no idea which team will turn up.

So in terms of this coming game, I wouldn't say there's no chance. Far from it, we could certainly win it. The problem for us is that I go into every game feeling like this. We could paste Liverpool on Sunday and then lose dismally to Spurs, beat City and then draw 0-0 to Watford. We're inconsistent as hell, and you won't go anywhere like that. But this weekend, anything is possible.
    I agree with you. On our day we will win against any team. But we don't know what United is going to turn up. It's like when Big Ron was the manager. We will beat Maradona and Barcelona and lose to Coventry the next week.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    No Bruno. Apparently he took a knock against Atalanta.
    Given that we have big squad depth and also Pogba will be more suitable to play in advanced role. I wouldn't call it as big loss. In fact, it gives Ole less headache. Varane, Bissaka, and may be Shaw are more big loss IMO since the replacement are not really convincing.

GregM40

Liverpool don’t have the best record at OT. The 4-2 win last season was Klopp’s first here and that felt like an anomaly.

I’d usually expect a tight cagey game but not sure we have the personnel for that. Something similar to the cup game last season maybe, we will need to out-score them, or hope Salah etc have an off day. Hopefully Fred and Bruno make the team.

MUFC OK

False. There is zero chance of it being 0-0. I think we'll be 2-0 down at half time again.

FerociousCorgis

be curious if Ole starts his boy rashy again in desperation. He looked incredibly unfit after the adrenaline wore off and very worried he will hurt himself if they rush him back in for a game this intense after already starting last game. Dude looked injured for a while before coming off. If bruno is out as well would give us a completely different look than what Klopp prob would expect coming in, could come to our advantage.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Bruno is class but his style doesn't really lend itself to be ideal in big games IMO. Wouldn't be the worst if he missed this one, or at least be an impact sub. Pogba could bring a lot more composure and control as our 10 while still putting in McFred or Matic behind as a base. Or even Sancho as a 10.

Ronaldo
    Rashford Pogba Sancho
    Fred McTominay
    Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan Bissaka
    De Gea​

Would go for this. Leave Greenwood, Bruno and Cavani to be impact subs if needed. More selfless team play is needed here and these would handle their pressing better.

Hoof the ball

I’d like to see how we’d operate with a diamond formation, Bruno would effectively form a front 3, which means we can still have 3 players in the middle instead of just relying on Fred and McTominay.
    A diamond formation gets the entirety of its attacking width from the full-backs, who are both expected to be very good. Robertson and TAA could do this very well. Hell, Shaw could do it very well, but asking for AWB to be your only outlet on the right is courting failure. Liverpool would just end up group on Shaw's side to nullify the very obvious emphasis we'd place on him, and they'd leave AWB in space knowing full well that we'd not build up through him.

FatTails

Are you guys bad defensively these days or just conceding silly goals all the time? Haven't kept a clean sheet since Wolves at the end of August as far as I can tell?

No matter the gap in quality one way or another, this game always tends to be tight and nervous. I predict a low-scoring draw or one-goal hard fought victory for us.
    Defensively, we’re terrible at three things mainly:
    1. If pressed, most of defenders and midfielders are not good enough on the ball to be press-resistant. We conceded quite a few goals last season and this season by losing the ball in our own half.
    2. Set pieces. We were pretty bad at defending them last season, we’ve hired a proper coach for set pieces in the summer, and seem to have gotten worse :lol: maybe it will take some more time for the players to do what he’s trying to get them to do.
    3. We are so bad at stopping counterattacks. This is a big issue this season, and wasn’t anywhere near this bad last season. No idea why.
    Considering Liverpool are deadly on the counter and that they can press from the front very effectively when they want to, I’m worried. On set pieces, I don’t know how good your lot are offensively at them but that’s another way you can hurt us.

I think most United fans are hoping that the chaos and madness of a derby can carry us to a win somehow, because based on form and the weakness we have, I don’t see us getting a result.

One place where we can get some joy if you decide to press high is the long balls from Lindelof to the likes of Rashford, behind your defenders. We’ve had some joy before against you playing that way, so there’s that.

RuudTom83

Having Rashford back is huge, just the linkup he has with Shaw, Bruno and Lindelof makes it possible to score out of nothing. Either of those 3 can find Rashford and it tends to result in a goal.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
    Erik ten Hag
    Liverpool don’t have the best record at OT. The 4-2 win last season was Klopp’s first here and that felt like an anomaly.

I’d usually expect a tight cagey game but not sure we have the personnel for that. Something similar to the cup game last season maybe, we will need to out-score them, or hope Salah etc have an off day. Hopefully Fred and Bruno make the team.
    Nice we got some optimism

bosskeano

we can't play like we did against Atalanta and leave just two guys in the midfield otherwise they'll run thru us and around us all match long

peridigm

Bruno is class but his style doesn't really lend itself to be ideal in big games IMO. Wouldn't be the worst if he missed this one, or at least be an impact sub. Pogba could bring a lot more composure and control as our 10 while still putting in McFred or Matic behind as a base. Or even Sancho as a 10.

Ronaldo
    Rashford Pogba Sancho
    Fred McTominay
    Shaw Maguire Lindelof Wan Bissaka
    De Gea​

Would go for this. Leave Greenwood, Bruno and Cavani to be impact subs if needed. More selfless team play is needed here and these would handle their pressing better.
    I'd like to see us in a 433 with this same lineup. I get that it can be fluid but with Ronaldo not being the type to drop back, we will see more of a 4231 as usual.

Rashford Ronaldo Sancho
    Pogba McT Fred

Rashford Cavani Sancho
    Pogba McT Fred

Ronaldo won't be missing this one though.

Foxbatt

If Bruno is available I would like to see Fred, Pogba and Bruno in midfield. I mean in midfield and not Bruno as a false 9.

tomaldinho1

Flip side is we've never beaten them in the league under Ole. 0-0 draw.

Red00012

I wonder if he'll go 3-4-3 for this one. I'd rest both Ronaldo and Bruno for the midweek CL tie in Bergamo. This game is all about coiling up to soak the pressure and breaking at pace on the counters.

Rashford Greenwood
    Telles Fred Lingard Pogba AWB
    Shaw Maguire Lindelöf
    deGea​
    :lol: :lol:

USREDEVIL

I wonder if he'll go 3-4-3 for this one. I'd rest both Ronaldo and Bruno for the midweek CL tie in Bergamo. This game is all about coiling up to soak the pressure and breaking at pace on the counters.

Rashford Greenwood
    Telles Fred Lingard Pogba AWB
    Shaw Maguire Lindelöf
    deGea​
    How about an actual coil formation. It could soak up the pressure and then rebound the player and football like a spring of sorts.

Revan

Assumptionman
    Let's do this boys. I don't expect us to win but would love it if we win.

FerociousCorgis

really is a must not lose for united. The problem isnt falling behind the top by 8 points, since top city and chelsea prob win this weekend too. The problem is you are falling behind 3 teams that were expected to be strong teams at beginning of year. So not like we can reasonably expect them all to come back down to normal. God help us if we end this damn gameweek level on points with freaking arsenal and chasing bloody as spurs for freaking 4th spot

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
    First time I can remember seeing (I don't look that often), more people here predicting a loss than a win - there are some who think we will win every single game in all competitions!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

2.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 424 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw