McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
    This will be the team i think

de gea
    Dalot Varane Maguire Malacia

MCT DVB
    Bruno

Sancho Ronaldo Rashford

if it were left to me Dalot, Bruno, MCT and Rashford would be out for AWB Martinez Eriksen and Garnacho
    Maguire/Bruno/Rashford starting = same old same old.

I would bench the lot of them

Boondog

Wan Bissaka is never in a million years starting against Liverpool. ETH does not like him at all.
    You may be right there. But options are limited. Maguire is on borrowed time due to sluggish passing and poor awareness in this style of play, but he is a captain and brings size to the equation on that back end. So I think changing him out will take a little more time.

Way I see it at least swapping out Shaw and Dalot is your low hanging fruit. And when playing high you'll get more range and effort from Malacia and Wan.

DDG will surely be benched the moment they have another option in-house. But as of right now they don't have that option. The moment someone comes in you can bet I'm changing my lineup though. :)

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
    DDG
    Dalot Varane Martinez Malacia
    Casemiro Fred
    Sancho Eriksen Garnacho
    Ronaldo​

Chief123

You may be right there. But options are limited. Maguire is on borrowed time due to sluggish passing and poor awareness in this style of play, but he is a captain and brings size to the equation on that back end. So I think changing him out will take a little more time.

Way I see it at least swapping out Shaw and Dalot is your low hanging fruit. And when playing high you'll get more range and effort from Malacia and Wan.

DDG will surely be benched the moment they have another option in-house. But as of right now they don't have that option. The moment someone comes in you can bet I'm changing my lineup though. :)
    ETH has barely given AWB any game time in pre season either. He really doesn’t have any plans to use him. Even laird was getting game time ahead of him. I’d be shocked if ETH started AWB. Dalot is poor but ETH will stick with him for now.

IhabX7

If we beat them we go above them. Wrap your head around that one.

FatTails

Any lineup with Ronaldo is not it, especially against Liverpool. He was invisible against them and City last year. He’ll be stood at the half way line 30 yards away from the action, and can’t chase the ball over the top.

Gotta play a speed merchant, even if they are a bit shit (Rashford?)

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
    ————Varane——Martinez
    Dalot———Casemiro———Shaw
    ————-McT————Fred
    Sancho—————————Rashford
    ———-——-Ronaldo

RuudTom83

Ronaldo, Sancho and Rashford as a trio is just far to lazy and out of form to give the opposition anything to think about.

It’s like playing with a man down.

For Liverpool I’d play 2 of them.

Boondog

ETH has barely given AWB any game time in pre season either. He really doesn’t have any plans to use him. Even laird was getting game time ahead of him. I’d be shocked if ETH started AWB. Dalot is poor but ETH will stick with him for now.
    Yeah I need to acknowledge you are likely right on this even though Dalot drives me batshit and I hate putting him in my lineup.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll "rest" Maguire and have Varane in there. Probably a longshot but that would be nice.

the_cliff

De Gea
    AWB Varane Martinez Malacia
    McFred
    Sancho Eriksen Rashford
    Ronaldo

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    If he's available then Casemiro is a no brainer to start. Also supports starting Varane. He knows Varane, he knows Fred. Get his immediate links around him.

De Gea
    Casemiro Fred
    Sancho Eriksen Rashford
    Martial​

iKnowNothing

If he's available then Casemiro is a no brainer to start. Also supports starting Varane. He knows Varane, he knows Fred. Get his immediate links around him.

De Gea
    Casemiro Fred
    Sancho Eriksen Rashford
    Martial​
    Do players who sign quickly get to start games? Say Casemiro is signed and done by Saturday, is it even realistic to have him play Monday? Is a day enough to get to know the people in the club, tactics which ETH wants to play etc?

Not taking a dig at your post specifically, I’m just curious in general.

DRJosh

Supports
    United minus the Glazers
    He will need to be inducted into the team. No way we'll see Casemiro on Monday. I hope I'm wrong.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Do players who sign quickly get to start games? Say Casemiro is signed and done by Saturday, is it even realistic to have him play Monday? Is a day enough to get to know the people in the club, tactics which ETH wants to play etc?

It happens, not in a settled team but we aren't a settled team. But he knows Varane and Fred who would be direct links, so its not outrageous imo.

FrantikChicken

I’m wondering the same. I guess it depends on how desperate Ten Hag feels?

if Casemiro does start though then I agree with the poster you quoted, having Varane and Fred around him would be pretty key

berbasloth4

Remember when ya used to get excited for a Liverpool game. They’ve been shite too but I think watching the game under the bed sounds like a good idea.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
    Ddg
    Dalot varane Martinez Malacia
    Fred some weird Brazilian fellow
    Eriksen
    Sancho Ronaldo Rashford
    Rashford should be dropped but I don't think starting that young lad in this game is a good idea.

Red Company

Supports
    The Peaky Blinders
    I highly doubt we play 4 at the back.. it’ll be a solid 5.. Martinez isn’t ready to play in a back 4 and neither is Maguire.. likely be Varane Maguire Martinez..

This allows you to get rid of one of McFred and play Eriksen alongside one of them..

I expect Bruno to be benched..

As much as I despise Shaw I just don’t think Malacia is ready to handle Salah just yet..

DDG
    Dalot Varane Maguire Martinez Shaw
    Eriksen Fred
    Sancho Ronaldo Rashford

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
    Can't believe people are including Ronaldo.
    The man has no intention of working hard for this team.
    If Martial is fit, it has to be him.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    If we beat them we go above them. Wrap your head around that one.
    The press suddenly goes from us being in a crisis to having overtook Liverpool. Suddenly all our transfers stop because we've clearly got a top squad. I can actually imagine it happening.

In the Ole days, even after and embarrassing defeat I still fancied us against the bigger teams because they wouldn't be so defensive, but now I'm fully expecting to not be able to speak to a Liverpool fan for a couple of months after Monday.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
    Chris Sutton's been brutal with his prediction. Then again, he predicted brentford to beat us 3-0 last week which I thought was ludicrous but look how that turned out!

If Manchester United win this game, they leapfrog Liverpool in the table, but that is not going to happen.

United aren't able to press teams with the players they have got, and I don't really know what Erik ten Hag can change with what he has got in his squad.

Liverpool have started slowly too, and Darwin Nunez's suspension won't help on top of their injuries. That leaves them a bit short up front, although Mohamed Salah and Luis Diaz looked lively against Palace.

Whatever happens, you just know Jurgen Klopp's side will outwork United at the very least.

Maybe United's players will run around a little bit more this week than they did against Brentford, but they need to find some heart. Unless something happens this week that triggers a change in attitude in the squad, I don't see it happening.

The home crowd will be willing them to take the game to Liverpool, and if they do that then they are in big trouble because that's when Klopp's side are at their best.

They won 5-0 at Old Trafford last season and it is going to be a similar story this time, although I am going to give United a goal just to lift their spirits a little.

Sutton's prediction: 1-5

RuudTom83

Normally you'd hold off playing Casemiro so soon after arriving, but looking at the state of United currently you have to play him.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town
    Heaton.
    Shaw Bailly Martinez Malacia.
    Ericsen Garner Iqbal Fred.
    Sancho Rashford.

Never happen in a million years, but De Gea has gone, Diaz cuts in onto to his right foot, so Shaw can close that down.
    Bailly, for me, is the best CB we have, if he is fit then play him, Martinez needs games, Malacia is raw, but again needs games, against Salah will be a good test.
    Ericsen right midfield pushing forward, Fred left midfield pushing forward, Garner to anchor the midfield, and play just in front of the back four, Iqbal alongside Garner when defending, supporting Rashford and Sancho when attacking.
    Rashford and Sancho to make runs into space try to drag Van Dijk away from the middle. Martial to come of the bench if fit.
    I feel we need a complete sea change in the team, playing the same team week in week out is completely insane.
    There is definitely a problem within the dressing room, and let's hope ETH can sift out and shift the problem(s) in the January window.

red woppit

Supports
    Northampton Town

Apparently Laird only signed for QPR on Monday, and played 90 minutes on the Tuesday, but I accept that the EPL is much tougher.

Member 125398

Don't be as shite as this lot were last week should be an instruction that any semi-competent footballer could understand and follow.

Bastian

Supports
    Mejbri
    Normally you'd hold off playing Casemiro so soon after arriving, but looking at the state of United currently you have to play him.
    He won't be available - if this deal goes through - but then again, hopefully the protests get the game postponed and the Glazers contemplating a sale.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    Not sure the shape, but I think we will pack the midfield and largely play the same XI that did the second half against Brentford:

DDG
    Dalot Varane Maguire Malacia
    McTominay Fred
    Bruno Eriksen
    Sancho Rashford

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

7.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player