Kick-off
Tue, 7 January 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    .............VS................

Date - Tuesday, January 07 2020

Kickoff Time - 2000 Hrs GMT
    Venue - Old Trafford, Manchester

League Cup Form Guide

Manchester United: DWW
    Manchester City: WWW

Previous League Cup Meetings

Manchester United 1—0 Manchester City

Manchester United 3—1 Manchester City

Manchester City 2—1 Manchester United

Manchester City 4—0 Manchester United

Manchester United 1—0 Manchester City

All-Time League Cup Record

Manchester United wins: 3
    Manchester City wins: 3
    Draws: 1

Pre-Match Pressers

Ole Gunnar Solskjær

Pep Guardiola

Team News

Manchester United

Paul Pogba, Eric Bailly, Timothy Fosu-Mensah, Marcos Rojo, Scott McTominay and Axel Tuanzebe ruled out. Anthony Martial and Jesse Lingard doubtful.

Manchester City

Aymeric Laporte and Leroy Sané ruled out.

Know the opposition

Manchester City Football Club (nicknamed City, The Citizens, and The Sky Blues), are a professional football club based in Manchester, England. City were founded in 1880 as St. Mark's (West Gorton), before being renamed as Ardwick Association Football Club in 1887, and finally Manchester City in 1894 - and the origins can be traced back to members of St. Mark's Church of England, West Gorton — who founded the football club that would become known as Manchester City, for largely humanitarian purposes. Two church wardens sought to curb local gang violence and alcoholism by instituting new activities for local men, whilst high unemployment plagued East Manchester, specifically Gorton. All men were welcome to join, regardless of religion.

The team's first recorded match occurred on 13 November 1880, and City gained their first honors by winning the Second Division in 1899 — with it came promotion to the highest level in English football, the First Division. In the seasons following the FA Cup triumph of 1904, the club was dogged by allegations of financial irregularities, culminating in the suspension of seventeen players in 1904, including captain Billy Meredith, who subsequently moved across town to Manchester United. Almost half a century later later, a City team inspired by a tactical system known as the Revie Plan reached consecutive FA Cup finals again, in 1955 and 1956; just as in the 1930s, they lost the first one, to Newcastle United, and won the second. The club continued to challenge for honors throughout the 1970s, finishing one point behind the league champions on two occasions and reaching the final of the 1974 League Cup.

Prior to the takeover by the Abu Dhabi United Group in 2008, the club had enjoyed moderate levels of success through their history — however, since the start of the current decade, City have been buoyed by the signings of Sergio Agüero, Yaya Touré, David Silva, Vincent Kompany — and have emerged as perpetual title contenders Vincent Kompany winning the league four times and repeatedly finishing in the Top 3. City play their homes games at the Etihad Stadium, and their biggest rivals are neighbors and opponents for the game, Manchester United.

Referee

Michael Dean.

Familiar Faces

Brian Kidd (1963-1974 and 1988-1998)

Gerald G

Meh
    De Gea
    AWB--Lindelof--Jones--Shaw
    Fred--Matic
    Greenwood--Pereira--Rashford
    Martial

1-2 to City​

Last edited:

prateik

Norwich game far more important.. but this being the semis and City would mean we cant take it easy.

Same for City.. the league is gone. They'll go all out for the cups.

I cant pretend to care about the league cup..

No injuries and I'd be more than happy..

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    Manchester United manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is unsure whether Harry Maguire will be fit to play against Manchester City on Tuesday night.

“I don’t know,” the boss said, when asked by BT Sport whether Maguire would be fit for the Carabao Cup tie.

“We were close to taking him off at half-time, but he battled through. Let’s see how he recovers. We hope so.“
    Pressed further in a post-match interview with MUTV, he added: “We were not sure if he should continue in the second half, but he was adamant he was going to be OK.

“He struggled a little bit but let's see how he'll recover. It's not many days, it's Sunday, Monday and then we go again Tuesday.”
    Lindelof - Jones it is then :(

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    City can field a strong 11 even with their second team, so it doesn’t matter who plays. Just try and keep it respectable.

DRM

Wow another game so soon, this is madness

Paul_Scholes18

Norwich game far more important.. but this being the semis and City would mean we cant take it easy.

How is that game more important? If we win this then we are in a final. City massive favorites at the moment with the problems we got, but we did beat them the last time so we got a chance.

Raw

We've had such a shit record against these at home, only win I remember in recent times is the 1-0 League Cup win with Mata scoring. Before that was the 4-2 under LVG I think?

Seems like they're always winning 2-1 at OT and I'm sick of it.

Tel074

Lindelof - Jones it is then :(

Why the hell did they not take him off then ? Honestly some of the decisions being made is insane . Playing Pogba for a full game against Rochdale was another shocking idea

Wow. League cup or not, if a two legger against City doesn't get you fired up then what's the point in following football?

Any Semi Final is worth fighting for - if such a young team could go on to win this cup it would be a great springboard for them.

We beat City recently and regardless of their current superiority we've every chance of beating them again.

One thing I'll say for City fans, throughout their many shite years their fans were always up for a derby.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
    Hopefully City come and leave huge spaces behind their backline. If they do we have a chance. If they don't we may as well forget it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
    We should be bang up for it. Their title defence is in tatters and, for all their quality, they’ve been pretty shite recently. It’s our only realistic chance of salvaging something from this season, if we can’t get our shit together and deliver a performance against them then god help us

hobbers

Pep won't make the same mistakes again. Will no doubt play more of a second string who'll turn up and sit back a lot more, and as a consequence absolutely stuff us over the two legs.

iluvoursolskjær

Searching for life's white text in London
    Not too bothered about the result of this one. Given our inconsistency and issues around availability of players I’d much prefer if we prioritise league games, saving our more motivated performances for them to hopefully induce better form seeing as we’re so patchy. Obviously it will kinda comes down to whether the coaching staff can convey this mindset and inspire that attitude out of the players. We’ve shown that we are capable of big results (against our top rivals) but fail at the important ones, the ones that really count in propelling our season.

Saying all that, if we did end up getting to the final, a trophy could be good morale.

zenith

The league is gone for city and they'll focus heavily on the cups and Europe as a means of redemption.

Not sure this will be our first priority anymore, given the scale of injuries. Let's see how this pans out but I have no great expectations from the game.

RedCurry

I want us to win the cup much more than caring about the next PL game. So I would go full strength side for this.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    It's one thing talking about weak lineups for the fa cup because we're only at the third round.

But a semi final v city?! We have to go for this as hard as we have in us!

Thiagoal

Jesus, can’t believe people are being so negative about a semi- final against City! If this doesn’t excite you then why the heck bother supporting a football team? Do not get it!!

always_hoping

The last league Cup semi finals v City were great craic. Tevez added great spice to those games.

As said already City with their title challenge in tatters will go full strength for this game. Aguero back is what worries me the most about City, he loves scoring against United, key for United is at least avoiding defeat and leaving the tie still open for the 2nd leg.

King_Cantona07

Ole will rotate and bring in the young and learning boy at number 10. United will be playing with 10 players to sacrifice lack of ability from off the ball runner.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
    Scout
    Supports
    Weymouth
    Anybody who doesn’t think we should take this seriously is a fool. Our best chance at a trophy and it’s a 2-legged Derby.

Then again I’m assuming I won’t bump in to many that don’t take it seriously at Wembley..

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
    Like others here, I'm not fussed if United win on the 7th. However, United must go through overall. The tie as a collective is a must win. The 7th? Not so much.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Like others here, I'm not fussed if United win on the 7th. However, United must go through overall. The tie as a collective is a must win. The 7th? Not so much.
    The 7th is our better chance of a result of course. Unless you think we're going to produce the magic of the last away game v them! Nothing suggests we will.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
    Anybody who doesn’t think we should take this seriously is a fool. Our best chance at a trophy and it’s a 2-legged Derby.

Then again I’m assuming I won’t bump in to many that don’t take it seriously at Wembley..
    Remember the massive majority of posters on here haven't ever been anywhere near Manchester, let alone go to games regularly!

Irwin99

Both sides will name strong teams I think. United know it's probably our most realistic competition to win at the moment. Wonder if Pep will set his team up any different this time? They got slaughtered on the counter attack last time :drool:

Decade long lurker

We’re in no position to turn our noses up at any chance of silverware. This is important. Let’s hope we turn up. I need an excuse to visit the have we turned a corner thread

Betson

Can't believe any real Utd fan is not up for this , it is a semi final V City at Home , if that does not get you fired up then you have to question what is the point of supporting Utd at all.

I would expect/hope that Ole plays his strongest hand on Tuesday , no shame if we don't win but big shame for a club like Utd in the position we are in not to least throw everything at it over the two legs , out best chance of any domestic silverware this season.

Ok , it is not the biggest cup going but we are not going well enough to turn up our noses at this , Utd should always be about winning trophies.

Beggar's belief that people show such apathy towards a two leg semi against City!

This is what it's all about - night game derbies, great atmosphere, bragging rights at work/school.

'Game's gone'

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

4.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 262 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Man City win