Kick-off
Sat, 11 September 2021 @ 3:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Jericho

It's time to give VdB a chance in CM. We're out of good options. And you're not going to get a better opportunity to test it out than Newcastle at Old Trafford.

Pace Abuser

De Gea
    Wan-Bissaka Varane Maguire Shaw

McFred
    Greenwood Bruno Pogba
    Ronaldo

I don't think Sancho will start.

joedirt87

De Gea
    AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
    Fred Pogba
    Greenwood Bruno Sancho
    Ronaldo
    would be my guess. I thought this may be a great opportunity to throw van de Beek in with Fred as the midfield two but I dont see Pogba or Sancho getting dropped.

the_cliff

De Gea
    AWB Varane Maguire Shaw
    Pogba Fred
    Bruno
    Greenwood Ronaldo Sancho

Red Royal

Will be interested to see if Bruno drops more into midfield when Ronaldo is around. I thonk Bruno playing a further 20 yards back may join our midfield and front 3 nicely.
    Will be watching the Portugal games closely to see how they do it for National Team.

the_cliff

Heard Sancho got an injury in training while on intl duty. Hopefully it's just a knock and he'll be ready for Newcastle.

Adcuth

Is this really not gonna be on tele? Ronny can only come back once yanno.

Parma Dewol

Was hoping that the lockdown setup would continue, with every game available to view. But nope, back to the same old rubbish from the FA and broadcasters, where we're forced to pay a fortune to watch the select few games that they decide. Ridiculous in this day and age.

peridigm

I fecking hate international breaks. What is the point. The WC should die. Club football is where it's at.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
    Sky Sports are absolutely seething, you just know. I was watching deadline day last night in the background and the owner of Peterborough was on, and they were talking about Ronaldo. He mentioned how the TV viewing is going to be through the roof, and how Sky must be loving it, before Damesh/Kaveh/the presenter all rather sheepishly looked around as he realised it was a 3PM kick off. :lol:

lenny_1248

Fred, VdB, Greenwood and Cavani should be fresh and should start imo.

De Gea, AWB, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Donny, Fred, Greenwood, Bruno, Pogba, Cavani.

Ronaldo as a sub to the standing ovation of OT.

Fingeredmouse

Like to see vd Beek given a shot with Fred and let Pogba have the left.

It can't be more disjointed than the last two post Scott midfields we've tried.

Kyonn

Want to see

De Gea
    Wan-Bissaka - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
    Matic-DVB
    Greenwood - Bruno - Pogba
    Ronaldo

But don't thin it'll happen

JustinC00

Unless he picks up a knock during international duty or training Ronaldo is definitely starting in this one.

Walters_19_MuFc

So would Pogba, Greenwood, Sancho, Bruno & Ronaldo.
    Not against a back 5 and midfield that will play with a low block.

They will literally look to counter us at every opportunity like Wolves did. We were fortunate that we didn't concede. We may not be so lucky against Newcastle and that was with Fred and Pogba. Van de Beek and Pogba is suicide.

Blood Mage

De Gea
    AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
    VDB - Fred
    Ronaldo
    Think Sancho should drop to the bench after his last showing. He needs to be eased into the side more carefully.

Bertie Wooster

Always tough to predict during international week but, assuming everyone comes back fit then...

De Gea

Wan Bissaka
    Varane
    Maguire
    Shaw

Fred
    Pogba

Greenwood
    Fernandes
    Sancho

Ronaldo

Not comfortable with the Fred-Pogba partnership, and tempted with VDB while he's had a free international break, but, if fit, they should be able to deal with Newcastle at home. Not sure what partnership, other than McFred, would do for the tougher games?

caid

Bring VDB in, push pogba back wide left is my hope. I think i'm expecting pogba in midfield again though.

De Gea
    AWB - Varane - Maguire - Shaw
    VDB - Fred
    Ronaldo

Think Sancho should drop to the bench after his last showing. He needs to be eased into the side more carefully.
    I'd like to see this. I'd drop Sancho too but more because i'd want to try and keep Greenwoods run going than anything Sancho has done (or not)

Bertie Wooster

Bring VDB in, push pogba back wide left is my hope. I think i'm expecting pogba in midfield again though.
    Yeah, I'm tempted by that while VDB has had a free international break. Although a CM of Fred and VDB sounds a huge gamble.

caid

Yeah, I'm tempted by that while VDB has had a free international break. Although a CM of Fred and VDB sounds a huge gamble.
    Its primarily curiosity that makes me want to see them. I've seen the alternatives and they were pretty awful. Newcastle feels like one of the more sensible teams to gamble against. I guess if it was the perfect solution to all our problems and a perfectly balanced pairing it would have been used more at this point.
    I'd like to see VDB given a run in midfield too though. We dont have the ideal partner for him but maybe hes good enough that hes the player we should be looking for a partner for rather than Fred or McTominay.

Bertie Wooster

Its primarily curiosity that makes me want to see them. I've seen the alternatives and they were pretty awful. Newcastle feels like one of the more sensible teams to gamble against. I guess if it was the perfect solution to all our problems and a perfectly balanced pairing it would have been used more at this point.
    I'd like to see VDB given a run in midfield too though. We dont have the ideal partner for him but maybe hes good enough that hes the player we should be looking for a partner for rather than Fred or McTominay.
    Yeah, it's a tricky one.

Fred and McTominay aren't our most talented midfielders individually, but they seem the only pairing that work well together. Without either, it does feel like we're going to be more vulnerable whichever partnership we try.

DVB and Fred together feels a bit lightweight physically and defensively, while offering little on the ball (DVB's best attacking attribute is off the ball runs rather than ball playing). At least, in theory, Matic would offer more defensively and Pogba more on the ball.

I think I'd be more comfortable with DVB getting his chance alongside Matic or McTominay to offer some height and physicality beside him. But I'd still rather start with McFred, then Pogba, above either Matic or DVB.

caid

Yeah, it's a tricky one.

Fred and McTominay aren't our most talented midfielders individually, but they seem the only pairing that work well together. Without either, it does feel like we're going to be more vulnerable whichever partnership we try.

DVB and Fred together feels a bit lightweight physically and defensively, while offering little on the ball (DVB's best attacking attribute is off the ball runs rather than ball playing). At least, in theory, Matic would offer more defensively and Pogba more on the ball.

I think I'd be more comfortable with DVB getting his chance alongside Matic or McTominay to offer some height and physicality beside him. But I'd still rather start with McFred, then Pogba, above either Matic or DVB.
    Dont feel i've seen enough of him to say what he is or isn't good at really. His passing seemed pretty solid in his few appearances, his positioning similarly seemed intelligent enough that he didn't need to play especially difficult passes to be progressive, maybe thats all wishful thinking of what i hope for from him.
    I guess the attraction of pairing him with Fred vs McTominay is he's a better passer of the ball overall i'd say. I'd be kind of hoping with the pair of them we'd have a lot less defending to do and we'd be getting our forwards on the ball more and in better positions to offset the defensive side of stuff.
    Kind of feel between Maguire, Varane, Pogba, Ronaldo we really should have enough height in the team to manage and not have to worry about it too much in other positions (it'd be nice to have but i'm hoping needing one of Matic or McTominay on the pitch for defending set pieces is no longer necessary)

dal

———-———Cavani——————
    Pogba——Bruno—Greenwood

Ronaldo and Sancho on the bench.

Chicharo

DDG

AWB
    Varane,
    Maguire,
    Shaw

Matic
    Fred

Greenwood
    Bruno
    Pogba

Ronnie

I think Matic can pull this one off. He doesn't play for Serbia, will have plenty of time to rest
    Ronaldo to score, then gets standing ovations around 70ish minute when Ole subs him.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Cristiano Ronaldo image Cristiano Ronaldo 84% of 426 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

6.8 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 431 ratings.

Score Predictions