Kick-off
Wed, 1 February 2023 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Lucky McLuckerson

The saviour of our season (ask Maradona10)
    .......................VS.....................

Date: Wednesday, February 01 2023
    Kickoff Time: 2000 Hrs GMT
    Venue: Old Trafford, Manchester

League Cup Form Guide

Manchester United: WWWW
    Nottingham Forest: WWWDL

Previous League Cup Meetings

Nottingham Forest 0—3 Manchester United

Manchester United 2—1 Nottingham Forest

Manchester United 1—0 Nottingham Forest

Manchester United 4—0 Nottingham Forest

All-Time League Cup Record

Manchester United wins: 4
    Nottingham Forest wins: 0
    Draws: 0

Pre-Match Pressers

Erik ten Hag

Steve Cooper

Team News

Manchester United

Axel Tuanzebe, Phil Jones, Donny van de Beek, Luke Shaw and Christian Eriksen ruled out. Anthony Martial and Diogo Dalot doubtful.

Nottingham Forest

Taiwo Awoniyi, Omar Richards, Moussa Niakhate, Dean Henderson, Giulian Biancone and Cheikhou Kouyaté ruled out. Morgan Gibbs-White doubtful.

Know the opposition

Nottingham Forest Football Club (nicknamed The Tricky Trees or The Garibaldi) is an association football club based in West Bridgford, Nottinghamshire, England. The club was founded in 1865 when a group of players met at the Clinton Arms on Nottingham's Shakespeare Street, and J. S. Scrimshaw's proposal to play football instead was agreed. At the same meeting that the club would purchase twelve tasseled caps colored Garibaldi Red (named after the leader of the Italian Redshirts freedom fighters). Thus the club's official colors were established. In their early years Forest were a multi-sports club. As well as their roots in bandy and shinty, Forest's baseball club were British champions in 1899. Forest's charitable approach helped clubs like Liverpool, Arsenal and Brighton & Hove Albion to form. In 1886, Forest donated a set of football kits to help Arsenal establish themselves – the then South London team still wear red. Forest also donated shirts to Everton and helped secure a site to play on for Brighton.

In 1878–79 season Forest entered the FA Cup for the first time. Forest's application was rejected to join the Football League at its formation in 1888. Forest instead joined the Football Alliance in 1889. They won the competition in 1892 before then entering the Football League. In 1905, Nottingham Forest toured South America to play a series of friendly matches in Argentina and Uruguay. They would be followed for other English and Scottish clubs that visited the region, contributing to the spread and develop of football in South America during the first years of the 20th century. Brian Clough was appointed manager of Nottingham Forest on 6 January 1975, twelve weeks after the end of his 44-day tenure as manager of Leeds United. Clough brought Jimmy Gordon to be his club trainer as Gordon had been for him at Derby County and Leeds United. The first trophy of the Clough and Taylor reign was the 1976–77 Anglo-Scottish Cup. Forest led the First Division for most of the season and were confirmed as 1977–78 Football League champions after a 0–0 draw against Coventry City on 22 April 1978, becoming one of the few teams (and the most recent team to date) to win the First Division title the season after winning promotion from the Second Division. Subsequently they became one of four English clubs to have won the European Cup/UEFA Champions League more than once and one of two English clubs to have won the competition back-to-back. Forest have two stars above their club crest to commemorate their two European Cup victories.

In total the club has won two European Cups, one UEFA Super Cup, one League title, two FA Cups, four League Cups, and one FA Charity Shield. The club has competed in the top two tiers of English football since its admission to the Football League, with the exception of five seasons in the third tier. Their fiercest rivalry is with Derby County, with whom they contest the East Midlands derby. The two clubs have met a total of 109 times, with Forest claiming the most victories (43), the longest win streak (5), and the longest unbeaten run (10) which runs from the 11th March 2018 to the present day. Leicester City were widely considered to be Forest's main East Midlands rivals prior to Brian Clough's success at both Derby and Forest. The ferocity is now most fiercely felt by fans who live around the Leicestershire-Nottinghamshire border.[citation needed] Forest's other regional rival is Sheffield United, based in the neighboring county of South Yorkshire. They play their home games at City Ground.

Referee

Peter Bankes.

Familiar Faces

Jesse Lingard (2000—22) and Dean Henderson (2011—on loan)

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
    DDG
    AWB - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
    Casemiro - Eriksen
    Antony - Bruno - Rashford
    Weghorst​

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
    Team should be...

----------------------De Gea----------------------
    Williams--Maguire--Lindelof--Malacia
    -------McTominay-------Fred-------
    Pellistri--------Fernandes--------Garnacho
    --------------------Weghorst--------------------

Subs: Heaton, AWB, Martinez, Casemiro, Mainoo, Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Antony

flameinthesun

Think its clear if we start games with all of Garnacho, Elanga, Pellistri we will end up really struggling. It might be fine to risk in this second leg but I think I can understand why Ten Hag is hesitant to make so many changes to the first 11.

BorisManUtd

Heaton, Malacia/Williams, Maguire, Martinez, Shaw, McTominay, Fred, Bruno, Pellistri, Garnacho, Weghorst.

AWB getting some rest would be nice.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
    Good thing about this game is that I'm sure sure Cooper's going to save some of his key players for the league.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
    DdG

Malacia
    Maguire
    Lindelof
    AWB

McT
    Fred
    Mainoo

Garnacho
    Wout
    Sancho / Elanga

that should be good enough to defend a 3-0 lead.

Gerald G

De Gea
    AWB--Lindelof--Maguire--Malacia
    McTominay--Fred
    Pellistri--Fernandes--Garnacho
    Weghorst​

Dve

I predict

.................. Heaton

Malacia - Varane - Martinez - Shaw

.......... Casemiro - Eriksen

Pellistri - Fernandes - Rashford

................ Weghorst

December_16

tip for anybody who wants to win the lineup prediction league: just pick the same XI every game. Easy peasy.

DDG

AWB
    Maguire
    Lindelof
    Malacia

Casemiro
    Eriksen
    Bruno

Antony
    Weghorst
    Rashford

Subs: Fred, Garnacho, Pellistri, Elanga, Mainoo

always_hoping

Eriksen headed straight down the tunnel tonight suggesting a knock. He,bruno,Rashford and Casemiro must sit this game out

Bwuk

Heaton
    AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Malacia
    Fred - Mainoo
    Sancho - Bruno - Garnacho
    Weghorst​

Dve

Give me an R!
    Give me an E!
    Give me an S!
    Give me a T!
    Not sure they need so much rest. Varane, e.g. will soon become rusty. And for the others, playing one hour against Reading is like a normal training session and I think they will be fine playing one hour again against Nottingham.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
    Butland
    Wan Bissaka Lindelof Maguire Malacia
    McTominay Fred
    Pellistri Bruno Garnacho
    Weghorst​

That's about all that we can ever rotate anyway. But plenty strong enough to be comfortable. Likely won't happen.

bosnian_red

Not sure they need so much rest. Varane, e.g. will soon become rusty. And for the others, playing one hour against Reading is like a normal training session and I think they will be fine playing one hour again against Nottingham.
    They need rest as the next month is brutal for us in amount of fixtures and we have a cup final and 2 games vs Barcelona at the end of it. So we need to be fresh for those.

RedDevilRoshi

I’m going to this game and I hope to see a starting XI made up of our fringe players (Maguire, Lindelof, McTominay etc) and youngsters (Mainoo, Iqbal, Garnacho etc).

But knowing ETH, he will probably play our first choice XI :lol:

Ballache

Supports
    Martial
    DDG
    AWB-Maguire-VNL-Malacia
    ---------------McFred---------------
    Pellestri----Antony----Garnacho
    ---------------Weghorst------------

Please rest the rest...This team should be good enough not to concede 3 to Nottingham at home. I somehow doubt we will rest this many players though.

Dve

They need rest as the next month is brutal for us in amount of fixtures and we have a cup final and 2 games vs Barcelona at the end of it. So we need to be fresh for those.
    Yes, but there is a balance. Sitting in the sofa until March makes no one in good shape. And playing 75 minutes instead of 90 minutes makes a difference. It's about managing the squad. Eriksen, e.g. hardly ever plays more than 60 minutes, but everyone's shouting he needs rest. He may not.

bosnian_red

Yes, but there is a balance. Sitting in the sofa until March makes no one in good shape. And playing 75 minutes instead of 90 minutes makes a difference. It's about managing the squad. Eriksen, e.g. hardly ever plays more than 60 minutes, but everyone's shouting he needs rest. He may not.
    It's not until March... We play twice a week every week. Newcastle play once a week every week with the odd midweek game. They can play strongest 11 every game because they have 1 week between games most weeks. For example... Chelsea have just under 2 weeks between their previous game and their next game. During that time, we'll have played 4 games. It's just a very different level of freshness. Yes you want matches every week for building rhythm, but midweek games throw off that rhythm and tend to go more in the tiredness side of things. Relentless midweek games just kills you. Every time.

Redlyn

DDG
    AWB-Maguire-VNL-Malacia
    ---------------McFred---------------
    Pellestri----Antony----Garnacho
    ---------------Weghorst------------

Please rest the rest...This team should be good enough not to concede 3 to Nottingham at home. I somehow doubt we will rest this many players though.
    Who is VNL

JustKatie

Draw or a slight loss seems likely if we rest most of the team but we all know that's not going to happen haha

RedIan

imagine if we rest half the team, forest pull a goal back first half, then another early in the second….. it can happen.

ETH will put a strong team out. Put it to bed and then withdraw the key players.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
    Team should be...

----------------------De Gea----------------------
    Williams--Maguire--Lindelof--Malacia
    -------McTominay-------Fred-------
    Pellistri--------Fernandes--------Garnacho
    --------------------Weghorst--------------------

Subs: Heaton, AWB, Martinez, Casemiro, Mainoo, Sancho, Rashford, Elanga, Antony
    Surprised you didn't put Eriksen starting.

DRJosh

Supports
    United minus the Glazers
    I’ll be shocked if Bruno, Antony or Casemiro start this. I’d even have a few players from the youth set-up come in for their debuts.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
    Ole hated resting players too, and it ended up costing him in his second season. We really need to add some depth in the summer.

bringbackbebe

Rest of the teams are basically playing about only once a week now. Two extra league cup matches and two extra Europa league matches is going to burn us in Feb. This match needs to be a second string team.

abailey123

I honestly can’t see Erik going gung go with changes. Look at Rashford the last 2 games he’s played no more than an hour in both games. The one who is being over played is Bruno, other than Charlton I can’t see when he last had a break?

I think we’ll see something like:

De Gea

AWB
    Lindelof
    Martinez
    Malacia

Casemiro
    Mainoo

Antony
    Fred
    Garnacho

Weghorst

We could really do with Sancho and Martial back with the squad so we can rotate the front 3 a little bit more without losing quality. If we had competent owners we’d be in the market for another midfielder as we’re lightweight in there now Donny and Eriksen are injured

Subs from:
    Heaton, Williams, Varane, Maguire, McTominay, Bruno,Sancho, Pellistri, Rashford

Get a goal or 2 up and then bring Maguire, McTominay, Sancho and Pellistri on.

Bruno and Rashford on the bench for purely just in case scenarios

RedDevilRoshi

I’d honestly hope we do we make wholesale changes for this but ETH doesn’t seem like he favours this. Always wants to play a consistent starting strong XI. I’m just worried about the longer term with the league cup final later next month & approaching the latter stages of the league season in terms of our players being burnt out.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
    I’ld be surprised if we play a 2nd string. We are almost in the final but not there yet.
    Remember York City years ago?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 166 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Nottingham Forest win