Kick-off
Wed, 2 December 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Mcking

The guy hasn’t played for 6 months and you think we keep players out for fun? If anything, we should praise him for never rushing a player. Even for VdB we took several games to allow them to learn about the league.
    Cavani you mean? Any reason why he didn't start at Southampton? Let's see if he will be on the bench against West Ham since he is still learning the league.

Gasolin

Cavani you mean? Any reason why he didn't start at Southampton? Let's see if he will be on the bench against West Ham since he is still learning the league.
    Yes, Cavani was out because of an injury for 6 months. He needed to train to reach a certain level of fitness so for us, starting him in all games it not always the answer.

I just don't think Ole has habit to throw a player just like that, especially when he comes from another league. It's not his way of doing things. He took 16 games to slot in Greenwood as a starter, and Cavani led the line against Istanbul in the CL so Greenwood was rotated in.

If Greenwood doesn't mess up his 2 chances, we score at least 2 goals in the first half, and the story of the game is slightly different.

If Martial is fit, then yes, I think Ole will try to rotate as much as possible. Cavani looking for the space behind tired opposition legs might actually be a good idea.

ThinkTank@Cafe

Shut down and counter. PSG is United bitch. Tuchel has to attack, feel sorry for him, he is in a tactical trap already.

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
    Cavani has to start (especially if he might be banned from the PL for a few games). The goals at the weekend, the general improvement to the team when he's on, the link-ups with Bruno, it being his previous club... it's too perfect for him not to right now.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
    I have read this a lot recently, people wondering why Cavani didn’t start.
    Cavani missed a lot of games through injuries in the last two years. Plus before joining us he hadn’t played a game for 7 months. So after self isolating he started training with us and was eased back. However recently he has played a few games in a short time period including for Uruguay in the recent international break. Taking all this into account I am actually hoping that our other strikers step up so we don’t have to play Cavani every minute until he picks up a muscle injury.
    Not playing him more often has a lot to do with all the above and not as much with him “still learning the league”.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
    Have we got 3 CB’s available for this one? Even Shaw and McTominay look to be out who can play there.

cyberman

Tactical counter game coming up. 5 at the back. Speedy offensive players.
    Dont think theres any need for 3 at the back. Their midfield is woeful and we can control the game from there.
    Let them worry about that, we shouldn't solve it for them.

Robbo*

Have we got 3 CB’s available for this one? Even Shaw and McTominay look to be out who can play there.
    Guess it would be Fosu Mensah on the right of the back three..

Wing Attack Plan R

------------------------------Henderson--------------------------
    AWB------------Lindelof-------Maguire--------Williams
    McTominay---------Bruno-----------VDB--------Martial
    -----------------Rashford----------Cavani----------------------

2 up top, VDB and Bruno controlling the middle. We win this 2-1.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
    Think we will go three at the back with AWB and Telles tucking into midfield and close down the space for Neymar and Mbappe.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
    I think we play 5 at the back and pack the midfield and pick them off. They aren’t fighters. If they don’t have the space to flow and dominate they don’t seem to want to do the gritty side of the game without someone getting sent off or doing something stupid.

cptkeane1993

I think we may be taking the PSG and Leipzig games a little lightly. They both have Istanbul to play in what would be make-or-break games for them (unlike for us where they were the middle two games) and you'd expect they'll both win that game. That would mean they both would have 9 points plus a game against us. If they both beat us, then we're out of the Champions League. Let's not forget, these are the semi-finalists and finalists from last year's Champions League and despite form and fitness of players, will still have quality on the pitch and both managers are tactically very astute.

Our immediate next game is PSG, where you'd imagine that were PSG not to win, and hence get knocked out of the Champions League in the group stages, Tuchel will be sacked. Because let's face it, they don't have all those star players / manager to win the French League. He is not going to go down without a fight though, and will have been plotting this game's strategy since their 1-0 Leipzig win. Win the game against us and they'll probably qualify as top of the table. As for us, it depends on how quickly we come down from the high of the comeback win yesterday, what attitude we go into the game with and who we have fit. If we go in thinking a draw is enough (which is true), then we'll be done for. Let's not forget Tuanzebe who was immense against Neymar, Mbappe and co won't be available so it's going to be Bailly if we stick to the standard 3-4-1-2 against PSG that's worked for us. If we lose this, then we go to Leipzig away and then we're looking at one unfavourable refereeing, red card or VAR decision away from elimination.

We have a tendency to not yet be able to sustain a high performance level for more than 2 games in a row this season - Newcastle(a) / PSG(a) and Istanbul(h) / Southampton(a). I hope Ole gets himself and the team fully focussed on the task ahead as there's still a lot of work to be done to stay in the competition. We were up for it in Paris what with it being our first game back in the competition and against last year's finalists but this time round, I sense some complacency. I am normally very positive but this game makes me quite nervous.

croadyman

Personally think the scenario is highly unlikely but if Istanbul beat Leipzig in the earlier game would that secure qualification for us whatever happens on Wednesday

Dve

Be enough to qualify, right?
    Yes, drawing with PSG will see us through since we will beat them on aggregate what ever happens in the last game. One point against Leipzig will be enough as well, even if we lose to PSG.

Dve

I think Mata, McT, Martial & Cavani will start. Common sense some players will be rotated.
    I think Ole will pick the strongest possible team for this one to get us over the line, then rest players against Leipzig instead. I doubt Mata will start.

Dve

We know the recipe for this one: back three, wing backs, well-timed pressing and aggressive counter attacks.

If Telles is fit, I think Williams could be RWB and Wan-Bissaka RCB. Ole will want to use McSauce in the double pivot alongside Fred, if available.
    Not so sure, actually. PSG havn´t look at all that impressive this season, and I think there is a chance we´ll go out with the intention of dominating the game. PSG had less than 40% possession home against Leipzig...

VivaRonaldo85

3-5-2

DDG (Henderson if DDG not fit)

McTominay
    Maguire
    Lindelof

AWB
    Fred
    VDB
    Bruno
    Telles

Rashford
    Cavani

Subs: Grant/Henderson, Williams, Mengi, Matic, Greenwood, Mata, Martial

A great shame Tuanzebe is out for such an innocuous yellow card last week.

Assume Pogba & Shaw both still out injured.

Play like we did in Paris, stifle and frustrate them, then hit them on the counter. We could beat them this way let alone draw.

Ollie Derbyshire

Time for some rotation I think, shame Axel and Scott are out for this one;

......................Henderson
    AWB...Lindelof....Maguire....Williams
    ...............Matic.........VdB
    ...Greenwood.....Mata.....James
    ......................Cavani

Bring on Bruno, Rashford, Fred & Telles if needed later on.

Might get laughed at but I’d rather save these for West Ham game.

Footy van de Geek

I think we'll draw this, which should be enough to qualify.

West Ham away 3 days later is going to be tough.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
    PSG have been very poor on the occasions I've watched them this season. I can see our reactive football working well in this game due to PSGs greater need to win the game which will leave space in behind.

Footy van de Geek

PSG have been very poor on the occasions I've watched them this season. I can see our reactive football working well in this game due to PSGs greater need to win the game which will leave space in behind.
    Like Lampard in The FA Cup SF last season, you do feel that Tuchel has to get some revenge eventually. The fact that we are now favourites probably doesn't suit us.

bondsname

We can't go into this game confident, we all know what happens then. :lol:

Footy van de Geek

Verratti and Marquinhos (slight doubt again) are likely to feature this time around.

PSG really missed them in Paris.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
    Think they will win to be honest. We always do it the hard way and these days could easily still end up Europa.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
    Like Lampard in The FA Cup SF last season, you do feel that Tuchel has to get some revenge eventually. The fact that we are now favourites probably doesn't suit us.
    I think we're gonna play to counter like we always do against any decent team with players who can transition quickly. Our CBs will be protected by two midfield-fielders in a deep defensive line with the fullbacks in support and we'll rely on PSG's mistakes as the proactive team to provide us the space in behind to score.

Footy van de Geek

I think we're gonna play to counter like we always do against any decent team with players who can transition quickly. Our CBs will be protected by two midfield-fielders in a deep defensive line with the fullbacks in support and we'll rely on PSG's mistakes as the proactive team to provide us the space in behind to score.
    I would take a 1-1 draw right now.

We certainly don't want to be going to Leipzig needing a result. The 5-0 will have hurt Nagelsmann. He is probably looking forward to settling the score on their turf. The type to meticulously analyse what went wrong in the last 20 minutes of that game. And maybe have a word with his tailor. :D

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
    I see a lot of underestimating, just like before Arsenal and Spurs. Hate that.

Dve

Personally think the scenario is highly unlikely but if Istanbul beat Leipzig in the earlier game would that secure qualification for us whatever happens on Wednesday
    Except if we lose more than 5-0 to Leipzig. Won´t happen, though.

HaliRed

Yes, Cavani was out because of an injury for 6 months. He needed to train to reach a certain level of fitness so for us, starting him in all games it not always the answer.

I just don't think Ole has habit to throw a player just like that, especially when he comes from another league. It's not his way of doing things. He took 16 games to slot in Greenwood as a starter, and Cavani led the line against Istanbul in the CL so Greenwood was rotated in.

If Greenwood doesn't mess up his 2 chances, we score at least 2 goals in the first half, and the story of the game is slightly different.

If Martial is fit, then yes, I think Ole will try to rotate as much as possible. Cavani looking for the space behind tired opposition legs might actually be a good idea.
    Totally agree. This is something Fergie did very well also, easing injured/new to the league players into games. I don't think we can fault Ole's handling of Cavani at all thus far. He's been doing the same with Greenwood after his incident with England.

The state of some of our posters, calling Ole's team selection dumb and rubbish using Cavani's handling to be the stick to beat him with. Very strange.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win
  • Draw