Wed, 2 December 2020 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Footy van de Geek

The poor home form continues.

I had a feeling that PSG would get their revenge. So we've now beaten each other away from home twice. :lol:

I'm not a big fan of Ole, but even I think we'll do enough against Leipzig to get through.

RedDevil@84

We played well and created chances. Heads didn't drop when we went a goal behind.

The red card did for us.

How exactly was it a bottle job?
    Bollocks.
    I don't call it a bottle job, but heads did drop after. We were wasteful

PoTMS

There's so many things that can happen before worrying about a potential last 16 game.

You could also argue it's more advantageous to play away 2nd and we're better away from home.
    Well, you refuted the poster's claims that the goal made a big difference to the group. You were wrong. It did. We will finish at best second if PSG beat the whipping boys of the group, which in all likelihood they will.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
    Lets be clear, Paredes is a little c*nt on the pitch. But Fred could have easily been out in the 1st half when the ref gives Paredes a yellow and in fact it was Fred who stomped his ankle.
    Are you agreeing with me or telling me something I already know? I can’t work it out mate :lol:

big rons sovereign

Lets be clear, Paredes is a little c*nt on the pitch. But Fred could have easily been out in the 1st half when the ref gives Paredes a yellow and in fact it was Fred who stomped his ankle.
    They always look worse in slo-mo. It's a 50/50 and they happen all the time. Parades is a little bitch anyway so feck him.

Maureen-yo

Thought Rashford had a very good game as did McT. Hope Rashford isn't going to be out for long.

arthurka

First half incident have no relevance. None.
    You wouldn't have mentioned this if the referee didnt make that moronic mistake, and Martial had been HALF decent and scored on his two 100% chances. That why it annoys me that Ole gets blamed for something that only matter now when the ref made that wrong call while it wouldn't if he didn't.
    Not what I was talking about, Fred could've gotten another card in the first half when the ref decided to card Paredes for letting Fred step on him, not saying it was but could've been. Fred was a dead man walking for 50 min, I am even amazed he stayed on as long as he did. In game management and Ole failed there tonight also taking off Cavani and going long ball was another really strange thing. Of course Ole shouldn't be blamed for Martial missing sitters he should be blamed for starting him as he has been shocking. Now we go to Germany and have to not lose.

Withnail

Bollocks.
    I don't call it a bottle job, but heads did drop after. We were wasteful
    Heads dropping to me means you give up, you're second best and out of the game and never look like getting back into it.

We fought our way back into the game and were on top for large periods.

I don't see how anyone can say heads dropped.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
    True, but you can't just sub players because they've been booked, the scums plan was to get somebody sent off, they were trying it all over the park and he gave them.everything.
    Who would he bring on, matic? We'd have been dead in the water with him there.
    And Fred was inches away.

Look, I’m not actually having an ‘Ole out’ rant dude, just that in my view feed should have come off and we’d have more than likely finished with 11 men.

Yes Matic, not a great option but what other options do we have?

DickDastardly

Fred has to accept responsibility for his actions, but ultimately it’s the responsibility of the manager to see and deal with the problem.
    To be fair, that tackle was clean as feck.

The problem was, he was out of "get out of jail" cards with the ref. And that's something that Ole has to see.

Disregarding the human factor is just plain dumb. Ole had to know the ref knew he made a mistake. And leaving Fred on, that's just giving him a way to redeem himself. Which he did.

Oly Francis

Supports
    PSG
    They always look worse in slo-mo. It's a 50/50 and they happen all the time. Parades is a little bitch anyway so feck him.
    It's not 50/50 when one player ends up stomping the other player's ankle, that makes no sense. I agree with you for the last part of your sentence though, I don't like Paredes, he's very annoying.

big rons sovereign

And Fred was inches away.

Look, I’m not actually having an ‘Ole out’ rant dude, just that in my view feed should have come off and we’d have more than likely finished with 11 men.

Yes Matic, not a great option but what other options do we have?
    I know yer not fella.

VivaRonaldo85

Scholes, Rio & Lineker are going to make me throw up in a minute with their gushing for the PSG players. Do they realise we lost and are in a precarious position in the group. Not like Scholes to be so cringey

big rons sovereign

It's not 50/50 when one player ends up stomping the other player's ankle, that makes no sense. I agree with you for the last part of your sentence though, I don't like Paredes, he's very annoying.
    But it is 50/50, they've both gone in for it. It just falls into the 'it happens' catagory.

morbidsaint

Deansgate preaching scientology with Tom Cruise
    Not what I was talking about, Fred could've gotten another card in the first half when the ref decided to card Paredes for letting Fred step on him, not saying it was but could've been. Fred was a dead man walking for 50 min, I am even amazed he stayed on as long as he did. In game management and Ole failed there tonight also taking off Cavani and going long ball was another really strange thing. Of course Ole shouldn't be blamed for Martial missing sitters he should be blamed for starting him as he has been shocking. Now we go to Germany and have to not lose.
    So Ole should be blamed for starting the player that for over a season has been our best striker? Man, its not easy being Ole, wow. I agree on Cavani. Never should he be taken off, no idea what the thought behind that was.

big rons sovereign

Watching it back, it seems like De gea shit out for the second, he can use his hands, why's he not thrown himself at it? Pussy.

peridigm

That's simply not true. At worst we had as much chance as Leipzig before any games were played.
    Actual chances and perceived chances are two different things. Go back to the draw thread. I bet more than 70% of fans thought we were destined for EL. PSG made it to the previous final and RB the semis, both obvious favorites to go through.

Footy van de Geek

The weird thing is that this PSG squad is a lot weaker than a few years ago. We actually had a stronger bench than them.

Strange that PSG have let the squad become depleted. They've loaned in a lot of players.

If they want to win The CL, I think they need more depth.

arthurka

So Ole should be blamed for starting the player that for over a season has been our best striker? Man, its not easy being Ole, wow. I agree on Cavani. Never should he be taken off, no idea what the thought behind that was.
    Given that Ole himself was once a good striker should he have started tonight? Getting Martial going should be done in the FA cup but not in a CL decider. Martial is also getting hammered here and rightly so but that doesn't take anything away from Ole's managerial skills or lack thereof..

Okey

Absolute jokers to blame this on Ole!

We shouldve been 2 maybe even 3 goals clear now if Tony could put the ball in the net!

But yes, let’s all blame Ole because it’s the cool thing to do here on the CAF.

Atrocious behaviour
    Jokers to blame the red on Ole for leaving Fred on??? That's like management 101. You see that so so many times. Take him off, keep 11 men on. My post was about the red card, not about anything else in the game. How you can't see that's on Ole is baffling, but you're allowed your opinion. No bones with that.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
    One of those nights, I feel proud of the team. Hard luck, some of the misses. Some needed a bit more composure. Major major black mark against Solsjaer here. Abysmal game management. He cost us a good chance of the draw. Not taking Fred off was idiotic.

Oly Francis

Supports
    PSG
    The weird thing is that this PSG squad is a lot weaker than a few years ago. We actually had a stronger bench than them.

Strange that PSG have let the squad become depleted. They've loaned in a lot of players.

If they want to win The CL, I think they need more depth.
    We shot ourselves in the foot recruiting Neymar + Mbappé, it's been almost a decade since we bought a really good midfielder and we spent 30-40M often to buy average players (Paredes, Gueye etc). Very bad management.

RonaldoVII

Well, you refuted the poster's claims that the goal made a big difference to the group. You were wrong. It did. We will finish at best second if PSG beat the whipping boys of the group, which in all likelihood they will.
    Still a bit of a leap thinking we should try and consolidate a 2-1 loss at home rather than try to snatch a point.

Dave Smith

Supports
    Anything anti-Dipper
    I expect a draw next week. However, it'll be Barca or Bayern in the next round.

RonaldoVII

Actual chances and perceived chances are two different things. Go back to the draw thread. I bet more than 70% of fans thought we were destined for EL. PSG made it to the previous final and RB the semis, both obvious favorites to go through.
    Is there a statistical difference between actual chance and perceived chance given no games had played? It's sport, not probability. And where are you plucking the 70% figure from? You're talking like we were massive outsiders to qualify.

Footy van de Geek

We shot ourselves in the foot recruiting Neymar + Mbappé, it's been almost a decade since we bought a really good midfielder and we spent 30-40M often to buy average players (Paredes, Gueye etc). Very bad management.
    I actually liked Paredes at Zenit, but he seems to be a bit overawed by the likes of Verratti.

Gueye isn't great on the ball, but was a cheaper version of Kanté at Villa and Everton. I think the problem is that too many of your midfielders are limited on the ball. Gueye, Danilo and Herrera (can be creative at times). Honest players who put in a shift, but lack a bit of star quality. You could argue that Fred and particularly McTominay are the same.

Letting Lo Celso go was a mistake, in my opinion. Rafinha has quality in him. He could be a good addition over time. Not always a starter, but a good option for games that you expect to dominate. He links up well with Neymar.

lex talionis

To be fair, that tackle was clean as feck.

The problem was, he was out of "get out of jail" cards with the ref. And that's something that Ole has to see.

Disregarding the human factor is just plain dumb. Ole had to know the ref knew he made a mistake. And leaving Fred on, that's just giving him a way to redeem himself. Which he did.
    In the modern game, you can't go through the man even if you touch the ball first. We saw yellow cards for that kind of challenge all the time in the PL...and the CL takes a tougher stance. It wasn't close to being thuggish, but it was a clear yellow card offense.

But we all agree Ole played with fire by keeping Fred on and he got burned by the decision.

Oly Francis

Supports
    PSG
    I actually liked Paredes at Zenit, but he seems to be a bit overawed by the likes of Verratti.

Gueye isn't great on the ball, but was a cheaper version of Kanté at Villa and Everton. I think the problem is that too many of your midfielders are limited on the ball. Gueye, Danilo and Herrera (can be creative at times). Honest players who put in a shift, but lack a bit of star quality. You could argue that Fred and particularly McTominay are the same.

Letting Lo Celso go was a mistake, in my opinion. Rafinha has quality in him. He could be a good addition over time. Not always a starter, but a good option for games that you expect to dominate. He links up well with Neymar.
    I agree with your analysis yeah, we bought far too many midfielder without a lot of qualities with the ball and we have no actual box to box, it's very defensive, meaning that most of the time the attackers don't have any backup.

peridigm

Is there a statistical difference between actual chance and perceived chance given no games had played? It's sport, not probability. And where are you plucking the 70% figure from? You're talking like we were massive outsiders to qualify.
    Purely speculation gauged on the meltdown that followed when we learned the draw. Do bookies use statistical calculations when taking bets or do they peruse forums looking for what people are saying?

I did not think we're massive outsiders but the majority of the posters in the CL draw thread did. That's all I am saying as an argument against the initial post that started this back and forth.

DickDastardly

In the modern game, you can't go through the man even if you touch the ball first. We saw yellow cards for that kind of challenge all the time in the PL...and the CL takes a tougher stance. It wasn't close to being thuggish, but it was a clear yellow card offense.

But we all agree Ole played with fire by keeping Fred on and he got burned by the decision.
    I beg to differ.

That was clean as a whistle. If that was any other player then Fred, play goes on.

I never saw a yellow card handed for a similar tackle. You just can't justify a card when the player clearly tackles the ball.
    It collides with the rules of play.

It was no where near a yellow card offense.

It just happened to be Fred, and the ref had a chance to rectify his wrongdoings from the first half.

lex talionis

I beg to differ.

That was clean as a whistle. If that was any other player then Fred, play goes on.

I never saw a yellow card handed for a similar tackle. You just can't justify a card when the player clearly tackles the ball.
    It collides with the rules of play.

It was no where near a yellow card offense.

It just happened to be Fred, and the ref had a chance to rectify his wrongdoings from the first half.
    Oh dear. Just took a fresh look at it again.

A yellow card every single time, mate.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 253 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • PSG win